PDA

View Full Version : Who was the better dunker? Michael Jordan or Dominique Wilkins

Thenameless
02-08-2022, 12:08 AM
Who was the better dunker?

Michael Jordan or Dominique Wilkins?

Vino24
02-08-2022, 12:11 AM
Wilkins

SATAN
02-08-2022, 12:13 AM
Wilkins for power but Jordan for finesse. Wilkins might have technically been better but it's hard to call either way.

Vino24
02-08-2022, 12:17 AM
Wilkins for power but Jordan for finesse. Wilkins might have technically been better but it's hard to call either way.

Power and dunking just go hand in hand. Breaking the back board is WAY more crowd pleasing than a soft rim tap lol. It just is what it is

Round Mound
02-08-2022, 01:59 AM

This

BarberSchool
02-08-2022, 02:05 AM
In Slow Motion ?
Jordan

In real-time ?
Nique

Bawkish
02-08-2022, 03:09 AM
gotta pick Dominique here

and VC tramps both

Baller789
02-08-2022, 04:22 AM

and VC tramps both

This.

Carter is the GOAT NBA ingame and competetive.dunker.

RogueBorg
02-08-2022, 10:04 AM

Who beat who in the Slam Dunk Contest? 'Nuff said

expansionera
02-08-2022, 10:32 AM
Like everything else in that joke era it’s clear the dunk contest was rigged for Mike when he went up against the superior aerial assailant in Dominique

John_Connor
02-08-2022, 11:24 AM
best dunk contest dunkers

#1 - Vince Carter
#2 - Dominique Wilkins
#3 - Aaron Gordon
#4 - James White (non nba)
#5 - Zach Lavine/Aaron Gordon

best in game dunkers

#1 Kobe Bryant
#2 MIchael Jordan
#3 Shawn Kemp
#4 Blake Griffin
#5 Julius Erving/Dwyane Wade

there's a huuuuuuuge difference between both types of dunkers. fancy dunks with zero contest are boring to me. good for a one time show but for every day stuff I wanna see poster dunks. niques windmills are nice but give me a jordan poster on ewing or mutombo over them any day

RogueBorg
02-08-2022, 04:03 PM
Like everything else in that joke era it’s clear the dunk contest was rigged for Mike when he went up against the superior aerial assailant in Dominique

Thank you for your opinion. Let's get to the facts...who won?

WhiteKyrie
02-08-2022, 04:13 PM
Mike.

Nique was all power and windmill based.

Mike had more diversity and artistry with his hang time, body control and dexterity as a dunker.

He pioneered that rock the cradle dunk, where you have to get your elbow up near the rim just to accomplish.

Mike also had better in game dunks and facials. Nique was awesome but the best contest and in game dunkers ever were Mike and VC.

A not great contest but great in game dunker was Kobe.

LeBron too, since he was too chicken shit to enter the contests, even though he should of.

Jasper
02-08-2022, 11:07 PM
MJ has already stated that Dom was the better dunker.

Bawkish
02-08-2022, 11:14 PM
Mike.

Nique was all power and windmill based.

Mike had more diversity and artistry with his hang time, body control and dexterity as a dunker.

He pioneered that rock the cradle dunk, where you have to get your elbow up near the rim just to accomplish.

Mike also had better in game dunks and facials. Nique was awesome but the best contest and in game dunkers ever were Mike and VC.

A not great contest but great in game dunker was Kobe.

LeBron too, since he was too chicken shit to enter the contests, even though he should of.

Nique vs MJ is similar to Lavine vs Gordon

Nique/Gordon was more creative while Lavine/MJ spammed that FT dunk too many times

Bronbron23
02-08-2022, 11:30 PM

Tough to say. Nique was a more powerful dunker but mj was more graceful and a more versatile dunker because he was as good off one foot as he was 2. I'll say mj but it's a wash basically. Wouldn't argue anyone saying nique.

kawhileonard2
02-08-2022, 11:38 PM

and VC tramps both

Vince was only in one dunk contest.

Bawkish
02-08-2022, 11:41 PM
Vince was only in one dunk contest.

Doesn't matter, even in-game dunks VC is still the GOAT in terms of creativity & versatility

kawhileonard2
02-08-2022, 11:57 PM
Doesn't matter, even in-game dunks VC is still the GOAT in terms of creativity & versatility

Naw gotta be in mulitple contest to prove it.

Thenameless
02-13-2022, 07:58 PM
Please vote. Thanks.

3ba11
02-13-2022, 08:10 PM
In a dunk contest, it's kind of a wash because Nique was an Aaron Gordon-style-footwork dunker but with less modern dunks (similar elevation though).

It's hard to top that in a dunk contest, so it's a subjective wash to me

In games, Jordan probably has the edge overall but Nique had more power in certain situations.. But MJ could dunk during or after mitigating numerous defenders - no one had more pure-scoring dunks because MJ had all-time elevation taking off every way possible - no setup time needed and the massive hands allowed easy drop-ins after moves

ClipperRevival
02-14-2022, 11:50 PM
Nique was a one trick pony. GOAT tier 2 foot leaper and as a result, great at going over the top of people. But not much in the way of 1 foot leaping.

MJ was the GOAT combo leaper. He could do FT line dunks (1 foot leaping) along with the ability to go over the top of people near the basket off 2 feet. There was no weakness in MJ's dunk game. 1 foot, 2 feet, hop step gather and explode in an instant in traffic, etc. Whatever the game situation dictated, he could do.

Nique's fortay was going over people right? MJ could do that too. And this on top of his graceful dunks, artistry type dunks, which is unmatched. No one can do the leaner dunk.

https://youtu.be/0D_iF_TS_Ts

ClipperRevival
02-14-2022, 11:55 PM

#1 - Vince Carter
#2 - Dominique Wilkins
#3 - Aaron Gordon

best in game dunkers

#1 Kobe Bryant
#2 MIchael Jordan
#3 Shawn Kemp
#4 Blake Griffin

there's a huuuuuuuge difference between both types of dunkers. fancy dunks with zero contest are boring to me. good for a one time show but for every day stuff I wanna see poster dunks. niques windmills are nice but give me a jordan poster on ewing or mutombo over them any day

https://c.tenor.com/mx9fNn1S4PwAAAAS/spit-take.gif

Round Mound
02-15-2022, 01:34 AM
What about Drexler? He could glide and he was good off two-feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQ3HKKIupQ

Thenameless
02-16-2022, 10:33 PM
Can we get some more votes, please?

Thenameless
03-16-2022, 06:08 PM
bump

Thenameless
03-26-2022, 01:50 AM
bump

jayfan
03-26-2022, 10:53 AM
What about Drexler? He could glide and he was good off two-feet

+1 for sure.

Folks don't even remember when Drexler was a bad man. He seemed to lose his hops a bit earlier than most do. But early in his career, and as the president of Phi Slama Jama, he was a true sky walker.

Bronbron23
03-26-2022, 11:44 AM

Mj because he was more versatile of a dunker. He was elite off both one and two feet nique was only elite off two feet. It's why mj was a better in game dunker

Johnny32
03-26-2022, 12:22 PM
In game is all that matters. I'll take legoat over both.

bizil
03-26-2022, 02:24 PM
Mt. Rushmore of the freak athletic dunking machine are Doc,Nique, MJ, and Vince. BECAUSE they had the best blend of dunk contest shit, in game catalog shit, and star power. Thing is THOSE four were great players in general. And could USE their freak athletic ability in games to dominate.

What Doc did for the gliding one foot takeoff stuff, Nique DID that for the vertical hops. Then MJ came down the pike and COMBINED those elements seamlessly. So in terms of a MORE VERSATILE DUNKING arsenal, MJ has the edge. IN TERMS of pure in game catalog dunking, give me Nique. Nique's in game dunking catalog is ARGUABLY the best of all time to this day. By that, I'm talking the SHEER VOLUME! Shit ABSOLUTELY still stands up today! MJ's in game catalog is EPIC too! But I think Nique's is even better. Nique at 37 years old was adding to his catalog with the Spurs! Dunking on Zo and Kemp at that age! He retained pure freak athletic ability LONGER than anybody until Bron came down the pike!

But with MJ-Nique, I think it's more of a matter of taste of who is the better dunker. BECAUSE more versatile dunker DOESN'T always mean better dunker. Bron is the only SF to come down the pike SINCE Nique who has been on his level from a physical dominant standpoint! But even in terms of in game dunk catalog, Nique would have the edge on Bron!

insight
03-26-2022, 07:23 PM

#1 - Vince Carter
#2 - Dominique Wilkins
#3 - Aaron Gordon

best in game dunkers

#1 Kobe Bryant
#2 MIchael Jordan
#3 Shawn Kemp
#4 Blake Griffin

1. If you include NON NBA dunkers, all the best dunkers in the world are NON NBA players.
2. Kobe Bryant was not even a top 5 in game dunker and definitely not better than Michael Jordan.

Thenameless
03-28-2022, 12:09 PM
Please vote. Thanks.

Thenameless
04-14-2022, 01:31 AM
Please vote. Thanks.

TheGoatest
04-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Wilkins was easily both a better in-game as well as dunk contest dunker than jordon.

Bronbron23
04-14-2022, 06:38 PM
Wilkins was easily both a better in-game as well as dunk contest dunker than jordon.

This dude always exposing his lack of knowledge. Everyone knows mj is the better in game dunker. He was a way more versatile leaper plus he was quicker and had better skills to put himself in position to dunk in game.

HighFlyer23
04-14-2022, 10:44 PM
MJ had more variety in his arsenal but Dominique had the edge in power.

I'll give it to MJ in terms of contest dunks.

In game it's close ... Niques poster on Bird is one of the most vicious dunks I've ever seen.

Soundwave
04-15-2022, 01:49 AM
Nique had some great dunks, but I like Jordan better because there's not many dunkers like him (mix of style/grace with power when needed).

Plus I think Jordan actually just flat out dunked on more people in game. So there's power and grace, a unique combo.

Dominque was cool, but Vince Carter basically took that style (pure power) and elevated it.

TheGoatest
04-15-2022, 06:29 AM
This dude always exposing his lack of knowledge. Everyone knows mj is the better in game dunker. He was a way more versatile leaper plus he was quicker and had better skills to put himself in position to dunk in game.

How many alts does "everyone" span, exactly? :oldlol:

Baller789
04-15-2022, 06:37 AM
How many alts does "everyone" span, exactly? :oldlol:

I dunno theCorp, you seem to be the best at this alt thing.

bizil
04-15-2022, 12:03 PM
In general, Vince is the best dunker of all time. He had the best blend of dunk contest AND in game dunk catalog. MJ is the BEST BLEND of one foot and two foot dunking ever. And for PURE IN GAME dunk catalog, I would venture to say Nique's is the DEEPEST of all time. By that I mean, Nique has MORE SICK in game dunks than anybody. Keep in mind Nique at 37 years old was putting guys like a prime Kemp and Zo ON POSTERS! MJ and Vince can't make that same claim in their late 30's. Nique retained his freak athletic ability LONGER THAN ANYBODY until Bron recently.

Baller789
04-15-2022, 11:41 PM
In general, Vince is the best dunker of all time. He had the best blend of dunk contest AND in game dunk catalog. MJ is the BEST BLEND of one foot and two foot dunking ever. And for PURE IN GAME dunk catalog, I would venture to say Nique's is the DEEPEST of all time. By that I mean, Nique has MORE SICK in game dunks than anybody. Keep in mind Nique at 37 years old was putting guys like a prime Kemp and Zo ON POSTERS! MJ and Vince can't make that same claim in their late 30's. Nique retained his freak athletic ability LONGER THAN ANYBODY until Bron recently.

So your answer is?...