PDA

View Full Version : is this proof that plants are living things that feel pain and don't wanna die?

John_Connor
02-09-2022, 02:26 AM
https://youtu.be/qK4G2KpmqFU

what other explanation could there be

some plants are poisonous

some plants eat bugs like Venus fly traps

https://youtu.be/O7eQKSf0LmY

I know some provide us food but that's just their cvm and it's used to spread their seed and procreate

so when we eat fruits we're taking a load basically

one things for sure. some plants don't wish to be killed. some have evolved defense mechanisms to keep people away. how is this not proof that they feel and have a value for life like we do. theyre brainless sure but facts are facts. vegans are murderers

Patrick Chewing
02-09-2022, 02:32 AM
I won't eat cactus again after watching that.

FultzNationRISE
02-09-2022, 02:35 AM
some plants are poisonous

some plants eat bugs like Venus fly traps

I know some provide us food but that's just their cvm and it's used to spread their seed and procreate

so when we eat fruits we're taking a load basically

one things for sure. some plants don't wish to be killed. some have evolved defense mechanisms to keep people away. how is this not proof that they feel and have a value for life like we do. theyre brainless sure but facts are facts. vegans are murderers

That's not exactly how evolution works. Plants don't consciously choose adaptations, they all grow different random mutations (most are useless or counter productive) and the ones that happen to increase survival get passed on more frequently. It's not something they choose based on "wishing" anything.

Plant sentience is an interesting discussion in general tho. There used to be a poster here who had a degree from Plant College. Hasnt been around in a minute tho.

John_Connor
02-09-2022, 02:35 AM
I won't eat cactus again after watching that.

what about some wild berries. theyre real tasty

https://i.ibb.co/rvd54mz/0-CHRISTOPHER-MCCANDLESS.jpg

BarberSchool
02-09-2022, 02:37 AM
Great, now I have to watch something else memorable to ensure I won’t have dreams of cactus spines stabbing thru my cockskin

jstern
02-09-2022, 02:38 AM
I wonder if bladef wants to feel that cactus going inside of him. After a while the body gets used to it and a simple needle might not be enough.

John_Connor
02-09-2022, 02:40 AM
That's not exactly how evolution works. Plants don't consciously choose adaptations, they all grow different random mutations (most are useless or counter productive) and the ones that happen to increase survival get passed on more frequently. It's not something they choose based on "wishing" anything.

Plant sentience is an interesting discussion in general tho. There used to be a poster here who had a degree from Plant College. Hasnt been around in a minute tho.

what if they're in the early stages of evolution and one day they develop a brain. before humans were apes or even 4 legged creatures we were probably once some basic brainless thing too

I wouldn't be surprised if in a million years the Venus fly trap becomes a semi conscious being

https://youtu.be/XGef78mJ4kM

highwhey
02-09-2022, 03:13 AM
i want to say that david attenborough video was taken in the arizona/sonoran desert. we have those shits here and they are not fun...:facepalm

Axe
02-09-2022, 03:54 AM
Existence. :rolleyes:

Chick Stern
02-09-2022, 09:56 PM
i want to say that david attenborough video was taken in the arizona/sonoran desert. we have those shits here and they are not fun...:facepalm

I mountain bike as a hobby. I know a guy who took a dive into a cholla. Not a good day for him.

Chick Stern
02-09-2022, 09:59 PM

Plants are at least as complex as animals, and likely much more. Just because we have not got to a level to understand them completely, does not mean that they don’t communicate, and feel.

CelticBaller
02-09-2022, 10:01 PM
proof? this is known.

do you need proof that the moon is there?

John_Connor
02-10-2022, 07:41 PM
https://youtu.be/4GL-X4LqfVc

SATAN
02-10-2022, 08:44 PM
The fungal networks plants use to "communicate" with each other and help each other is pretty fascinating. Many people take what's around them for granted.

Patrick Chewing
02-10-2022, 09:35 PM
If we can't eat plants then we might as well die.

FultzNationRISE
02-10-2022, 09:40 PM
Plants are at least as complex as animals, and likely much more. Just because we have not got to a level to understand them completely, does not mean that they don’t communicate, and feel.

I understand, but OP’s post was worded in such a way as to suggest plants consciously grow thorns or develop suckers as a way to defend or protect themselves.

Thats not the way evolution works.

Every generation of plants (or any living species) has all sorts of mutations that just happen by chance. The ones coincidentally useful for survival in a particular environment allow that plant to pass the mutation on to the next generation, while plants without useful mutations die before getting the chance.

The plant didnt choose those adaptations and it didnt evaluate the best way to defend itself. It was born with whatever mutations its ancestors had that increased survivability. That in itself doesnt require complexity, feelings or etc.