PDA

View Full Version : If IVERSON played today he'd be a poor man's Westbrook, not an all-star

TAZORAC
02-10-2022, 03:34 PM
The NBA has changed over the past 3 seasons. There are players from the past who I would love to see in today's NBA like Mark Price, Tim Hardaway, Steve Nash, but there is also other all-stars/HOFers who if they played in today's NBA in their prime would be horrible.

1 of those players is Allen Iverson. Iverson wasn't a true point guard, but he was undersized as a SG, who could hit the 3 but wasn't good at it. Although he gave effort on defense, his small stature made him a defensive liability ala Isiash Thomas. Iverson is similar to Westbrook, but he's smaller, doesn't have the physical strength or explosiveness, and can't drive to the basket like Westbrook.

If Iverson was drafted in 2019 with the same style of play he has, with his size. He would NOT be an all-star nor make the HOF.

Bronbron23
02-10-2022, 04:22 PM
The NBA has changed over the past 3 seasons. There are players from the past who I would love to see in today's NBA like Mark Price, Tim Hardaway, Steve Nash, but there is also other all-stars/HOFers who if they played in today's NBA in their prime would be horrible.

1 of those players is Allen Iverson. Iverson wasn't a true point guard, but he was undersized as a SG, who could hit the 3 but wasn't good at it. Although he gave effort on defense, his small stature made him a defensive liability ala Isiash Thomas. Iverson is similar to Westbrook, but he's smaller, doesn't have the physical strength or explosiveness, and can't drive to the basket like Westbrook.

If Iverson was drafted in 2019 with the same style of play he has, with his size. He would NOT be an all-star nor make the HOF.

Bruh hell no. Iverson wss stupid in his prime. So much quicker and more fluid then westbrook. He also used change of speeds unlike westbrook. Have to remember iverson also played in a much tougher defensive era.

HylianNightmare
02-10-2022, 04:32 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WarlikeDampBuzzard-max-1mb.gif

Gohan
02-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Op is a cross eyed down syndrome fa55ot. Not worth my time.

Full Court
02-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Calling Iverson a poor man's Westbrook is just silly.

But this year Lebron is basically a middle class man's Westbrook.

AlternativeAcc.
02-10-2022, 10:45 PM
It's impossible to be a worse version of westbrook in the NBA. That's called being an uncoordinated rec league player.

John_Connor
02-10-2022, 10:55 PM
https://youtu.be/z_KmNZNT5xw

expansionera
02-10-2022, 11:12 PM
He’d be one of the worst players in the league, especially defensively. 5’10 inefficient scoring guard with mediocre playmaking and shooting is a G league bench player in today’s NBA

Funny that guy crossed up Mikey

Bronbron23
02-10-2022, 11:39 PM
He’d be one of the worst players in the league, especially defensively. 5’10 inefficient scoring guard with mediocre playmaking and shooting is a G league bench player in today’s NBA

He's less than 2 inches shorter than steph who's one of the best players in this generation.

If you honestly think he'd be one of the worst players in the league u know zero about the game.

Full Court
02-10-2022, 11:43 PM
He's less than 2 inches shorter than steph who's one of the best players in this generation.

If you honestly think he'd be one of the worst players in the league u know zero about the game.

That's exactly what's going on. expansionera knows zero about the game.

SATAN
02-10-2022, 11:51 PM
MJ got his ankles broken by a poor man's Russell Westbrook.

Bronbron23
02-11-2022, 08:16 AM

And bron got his ankles broke by 2 poor man allen iversons. Imagine letting jeremy lin and jj red breaking your ankles. I bey your bitchass didn't even know that.

Bron stans are the most unaware fan base on the planet :facepalm

PeroAntic
02-11-2022, 08:32 AM
Iverson is a lot smarter and a better shooter. he would thrive in the spacing era.

Nb1
02-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Westbrook is first in TO, almost last in FT, 3PT shooting, no defense, has the worst TO i've ever seen even on amateur level and can't barely make a dunk or layup. I honestly had never seen such a bad player. Funny how everyone else criticized him for years and now somehow expected him to be a star lol

Bankaii
02-11-2022, 09:13 AM
The amount of disrespect AI has gotten over the years is embarrassing.

HoopsNY
02-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Iverson wasn't a great playmaker, but he was actually a very good passer. In addition, he spent a lot of time playing the PG position. First two seasons in the league he averaged almost 7 assists a game. Then, in 2005 and 2006, he resumed playing PG and averaged nearly 8 assists a game.

It would have been interesting to see how Iverson would have developed over time as a PG if he dedicated himself to that role after 1998. But anyone who did watch him play knows that he wasn't a bad playmaker and a very good passer.

He was also a durable and was willing to play every minute. In the 2002 season, he averaged 44 minutes a game. Imagine if he played in this era with this pace? He'd easily average 9+ assists per game with his passing abilities.

Phoenix
02-11-2022, 06:33 PM
Bullshit. You wouldn't be able to keep him out of the lane. Much better off-ball than hes given credit for, underrated catch and shoot ability. In todays league you wouldnt need to move him over to SG, he'd just be a high scoring PG ala Dame, Harden a few seasons, Steph etc. Would drop 30 on higher TS% than in the early/mid 2000s.

Full Court
02-11-2022, 07:26 PM

And bron got his ankles broke by 2 poor man allen iversons. Imagine letting jeremy lin and jj red breaking your ankles. I bey your bitchass didn't even know that.

Bron stans are the most unaware fan base on the planet :facepalm

Don't forget about when Solomon Hill barely bumped into Brony's ankle, and the guy had to sit out for over a month.

SATAN (Beezleblubber) is one of the top five dumbest posters on ISH.

FilmyCogTurner
02-11-2022, 07:35 PM
I tend to think Iverson would thrive in the league today. His drive to basket and finishing ability was second to none and this was with big men still crowding the paint.

Pair him with a defensive minded two guard with size and he would still be busting up anyone in front of him.

bison
02-11-2022, 07:45 PM
he would be a Ja Morant type superstar

Bronbron23
02-11-2022, 07:47 PM
Don't forget about when Solomon Hill barely bumped into Brony's ankle, and the guy had to sit out for over a month.

SATAN (Beezleblubber) is one of the top five dumbest posters on ISH.

Yeah dud is straight trash

Reggie43
02-11-2022, 10:01 PM
His numbers peaked at 33 ppg on almost 45fg% at 30 years old because they removed the handcheck. Imagine him taking advantage of the freedom of movement rules as an offball player where he was at his best when Larry Brown was able to convince him to believe in the system enroute to a Finals berth? All this while being arguably the quickest, fastest and most explosive player in nba history.

He probably wont win with the attitude that he had but everybody would pay to see him play and drop monstrous numbers in todays league.

Pointguard
02-11-2022, 10:16 PM
Bullshit. You wouldn't be able to keep him out of the lane. Much better off-ball than hes given credit for, underrated catch and shoot ability. In todays league you wouldnt need to move him over to SG, he'd just be a high scoring PG ala Dame, Harden a few seasons, Steph etc. Would drop 30 on higher TS% than in the early/mid 2000s.

Good post!

Defenses can't clog the lane like back then. Less bigmen now that actually block shots more. He's going to get to the rim more. They can't absolutely clobber him either which was a basic way of guarding him. He would have had a better floater as well too. He scored 30 ppg over four times. His team would likely have two shooters now. He was one of the few players ever to win the scoring title and make it to the championship round. He did that with the worse shooting team ever - a true team of clankers - his best starter only shot 31% from 3 point land. Determined scorers can play in any era, much moreso than skilled scorers. Iverson would have more space to work with today without any more hinderances to his game today.

Axe
02-12-2022, 02:44 AM
Op is a cross eyed down syndrome fa55ot. Not worth my time.
Lol

Axe
02-12-2022, 02:47 AM

Because according to you, all players who participated in the league during the 90s are horrible and thus irrelevant. None of them should be excused from that.

bladefd
02-12-2022, 03:02 PM
He can't fit directly in - he obviously would have to change his game quite a bit. I think he can though. He had the physical gifts and the drive to work on his 3pt. He was still great at driving in & could draw fouls very well. He would have figured it out on the offensive end I think. His defense would have stayed horrendous though because that was never really one of his strengths or things he worked on.

Yes, his attitude could have been a problem. He used to act like he was GOAT and had nothing to improve. That would have been an issue in any era. He doesn't break my top 45 list of all-time. He would be around 50 (possibly not enter it, but I would have to think more about it) while Westbrook would not even break into my top 50.

FilmyCogTurner
02-12-2022, 04:37 PM
Think about Iverson with space in a pick and roll... he dusted some of the quickest PG's in the league during his time. Either the team fights through the screen and AI is already down hill or they switch and someones ankles are getting taken.

Cali Syndicate
02-13-2022, 12:35 AM
How so? Iverson and Westbrook don't even remotely play the same way. Unless you're saying Iverson would be a stat padding bum.

WhiteKyrie
02-13-2022, 04:30 AM
Yes and yes and yes. Good post. All facts.

Westbrick wishes he was the athlete and basketball player Iverson was. Retard explosiveness aside, Iverson is top to bottom more athletic and a better player.

The second the league went to the overtly soft perimeter physicality rules … at 30 years old … Bubba Chuck went for 33/3/7 on 47%.

And now? The league is even softer. With minimal rim protection, more possessions, and a wide open court with no lane congestion.

Westbitch at the same age, in a league with more shooters, less time protection, less physicality, more skill and shooting around him to spread the floor. Put up a very padded and deliberate but ultimately meaningless 23/11/11 on 43%.

AI’s next best player? Old ass, past prime 32 year old Chris Weber 20/10/3 on 43%.

Westbrook’s next best player (was better than Westbrick) 28 year old prime Paul George 28/4/8 on 43%.

How did Iverson, a 5’11 shooting guard, who used to be worshipped and revered for his warrior mentality, under dog status, giant heart, and totally fearless mentality become so comically underrated or nitpicked and hated on? When was it exactly? This guy was so inspiring to me as a young player.