PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to understand why Gobert gets so much hate on here

Full Court
02-17-2022, 10:00 PM
I had thought that Rudy was getting some unfair treatment on here because people didn't like that Xiao guy, but after seeing last night's game, I've changed my mind.

I haven't watched the Jazz play many games, but I watched 3 quarters of them playing the Lakers last night, and what I saw was that Gobert is a huge weakness for the team.

The Jazz rely way too much on three point shooting, to the point they're almost a one trick pony. When their long range shots aren't falling, they have nothing else to turn to.

Gobert's a good defender. Say what you will, but that's a fact. However, his offensive liability more than offsets his defense. The Lakers had zero paint defense/rim protection. A big guy like Rudy should have been able to have his way at the rim. The guy scored 5 points and only took three shots. The only one who could really attack was Mitchell.

Bottom line from what I saw: Gobert + three point shooters is not a formula getting anywhere in the playoffs. I expect a first round elimination for the Jazz again.

Mask the Embiid
02-17-2022, 10:12 PM
I had thought that Rudy was getting some unfair treatment on here because people didn't like that Xiao guy, but after seeing last night's game, I've changed my mind.

I haven't watched the Jazz play many games, but I watched 3 quarters of them playing the Lakers last night, and what I saw was that Gobert is a huge weakness for the team.

The Jazz rely way too much on three point shooting, to the point they're almost a one trick pony. When their long range shots aren't falling, they have nothing else to turn to.

Gobert's a good defender. Say what you will, but that's a fact. However, his offensive liability more than offsets his defense. The Lakers had zero paint defense/rim protection. A big guy like Rudy should have been able to have his way at the rim. The guy scored 5 points and only took three shots. The only one who could really attack was Mitchell.

Bottom line from what I saw: Gobert + three point shooters is not a formula getting anywhere in the playoffs. I expect a first round elimination for the Jazz again.
From what im reading thats giving me Ben Simmons vibes.... People who rarely watch a team dont normally get that.All the defense in the world cant make up for playing 4 on 5 on offense

its not worth it...unless you have klay + steph + durant or jordan + pippen to off balance it. Now if donovan mitchell had prime kd or someone of that caliber on his team, maybe they could overcome playing 4 on 5

Spurs m8
02-17-2022, 10:19 PM
Yeah fair call on all of that.

I've only seen a handful of Jazz games this year, but the ones I saw were pretty horrid.

Gobert was getting lit up under the basket, by guards - frequently.

And on offense, there was none.
No ball movement or purpose in anything they were doing.
Mitchell and Clarkson going iso and kicking it out needed.

Why isn't Toodie running P&R or something?
Unless he does and I missed it

Terrible.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2022, 10:58 PM
they run more pick and roll than anyone in the league and Gobert is hardly a liability on offense. Got to pass him the ball or else he's not going be able to score

90sgoat
02-17-2022, 11:00 PM
Gobert looks way worse than he is because his teammates are typical NBA level boneheads who don't want and can't set him up under the basket.

He was a beast in FIBA and could be much better if they actually tried to set him up.

iamgine
02-18-2022, 01:13 AM
It's an outlier game though. He usually get around your role player average shot amount per game. Like, the Lonzo/Josh Richardson/Patty Mills amount of shots. And he convert them at a very high rate so I'm not sure how he can be a liability.

Xiao Yao You
02-18-2022, 09:05 AM
It's an outlier game though. He usually get around your role player average shot amount per game. Like, the Lonzo/Josh Richardson/Patty Mills amount of shots. And he convert them at a very high rate so I'm not sure how he can be a liability.

he can't unless you're a troll

GimmeThat
02-18-2022, 09:24 AM
how you criticize Gobert on offense is similar to how the players on Lebron's 1st Cavs were criticized, they just stood around and watch Lebron on offense.

only it's as if there's 4 Lebron at the same time in Gobert's mind.

beasted
02-18-2022, 09:33 AM
Gobert looks way worse than he is because his teammates are typical NBA level boneheads who don't want and can't set him up under the basket.

He was a beast in FIBA and could be much better if they actually tried to set him up.

That's a problem that he needs to be spoon fed dunks.

If Gobert has THT defending him, he should be able to pull off rudimentary post moves to get a high percentage shot. But instead, last time I looked it up, he was assisted on 77% of his shots, and that remaining 23% was more or less putbacks from offensive boards. Last checked also like 87% of his shots came within 5 feet, and his FG% plummeted to below league average from 5-10 feet.

That's the absolute definition of a liability if a guy is that ineffective unless somebody sets him up. It means even if he gets Steph Curry on him 9 feet from the basket, he likely can't do anything. His horrible assist percentage also says that if the opponent chooses to double team him, he can't even make the smart read. And if teams foul him when he catches deep he can't make them pay at the FT line.

He's a top notch defender and good overall player, who definitely improves his team, but certainly a liability offensively.

Johnny32
02-18-2022, 09:39 AM
From what im reading thats giving me Ben Simmons vibes.... People who rarely watch a team dont normally get that.All the defense in the world cant make up for playing 4 on 5 on offense

its not worth it...unless you have klay + steph + durant or jordan + pippen to off balance it. Now if donovan mitchell had prime kd or someone of that caliber on his team, maybe they could overcome playing 4 on 5

lol mj/pip "balanced it out" in the offensively challenged 90s. they'd get ran out the building in todays nba.

rmt
02-18-2022, 10:59 AM
I thought it was funny last night on Inside the NBA when Shaq said in reply about Harden being the best alley-oop feeder - something to the effect of that's for people who can't score by themselves (meaning Embiid doesn't need that). I immediately thought of Gobert - LOL.

Xiao Yao You
02-18-2022, 06:34 PM
before the Trump virus and injuries hit the Jazz had the best offense ever! Pretty amazing with such a liability :roll:

meat
02-18-2022, 06:51 PM
before the Trump virus and injuries hit the Jazz had the best offense ever! Pretty amazing with such a liability :roll:

What's the Trump virus? Also ... citation needed. You crap on the whole team except for your boyfriend.

Full Court
02-18-2022, 10:39 PM

Trump virus....wow, you really are an idiot.

999Guy
02-18-2022, 11:36 PM
So let’s boil it down: Gobert is a bad player, yeah? And you got this from 3 random quarters of basketball against a random team, no?

Full Court
02-19-2022, 12:05 AM
So let’s boil it down: Gobert is a bad player, yeah? And you got this from 3 random quarters of basketball against a random team, no?

He's a very good defender. But his lack of offense is a big liability on a team that heavily relies on three point shooting. That's my take. If you disagree, then disagree.

AirBonner
02-19-2022, 01:03 AM
Rob Williams is already surpassing him. Players actively go in the paint and dunk on the French noodle

kumquat
02-19-2022, 01:55 AM

That's what I was going to say. He was killing everybody down low in FIBA ball at the Olympics, he needs to be utilized better. Same think happened to Nurkic when CJ and Dame were playing hero ball, now Nurkic looks like a top tier center.

RRR3
02-19-2022, 02:41 AM
That's what I was going to say. He was killing everybody down low in FIBA ball at the Olympics, he needs to be utilized better. Same think happened to Nurkic when CJ and Dame were playing hero ball, now Nurkic looks like a top tier center.
Nurkic has actual skills on offense though. Have yet to see Rudy display any.

Axe
02-19-2022, 04:21 AM
Umm, your hero was actually the first one to have caught it in the league and as a result, they had to shut down the season subsequently.

NBAGOAT
02-19-2022, 07:42 AM
he's not as dominant as he was last year and xiao does overrate him. he's still very good and one of utah's best players(xiao wont admit it but mitchell has gotten a bit better this year). whiteside looking good in limited minutes doesnt prove anything. They did sacrifice defense to have enough offense and shooting around him but you always have to give and take.

Spurs m8
02-19-2022, 03:46 PM

You realise it was a global virus, right?
You brainless fvck

Xiao Yao You
02-19-2022, 06:15 PM
can't quit me

Full Court
02-19-2022, 06:31 PM
can't quit me

Nobody cares or is trying to. Don't flatter yourself.

Manny98
02-19-2022, 08:15 PM
Nobody cares or is trying to. Don't flatter yourself.
:oldlol: