PDA

View Full Version : What is the value of making 1 or 2 more shots per game?

iamgine
02-25-2022, 01:19 PM
Iverson was often called inefficient but if he had made 2 more shots each game instead of missing them, he'd be at Shaq level efficiency while being a much better scorer.

Yet, when I looked at Philly's record the year they went to the finals, if Iverson made 2 more shots every game, they'd have won 4 more games.

Like, 4 more wins for being the one of the greatest and most efficient scorer of all time. Seems underwhelming. :confusedshrug:

3ba11
02-25-2022, 01:25 PM
Reverse economies of scale

After a certain point, each additional shot attempt is HARDER to get off

Taking 4 more shots and making 2 more every game is far superior capability, which would create another player entirely that would be guarded differently, have different teammate fits and create different game flow and defensive attention - all of this creates different outcomes.

And there's a key that you non-players always miss - all 30 points aren't the same - Iverson could get 30 but not within a good brand of ball, so he needs more help, similar to Lebron, who also can't get 30 with a good brand of ball

FultzNationRISE
02-25-2022, 01:28 PM
Iverson was often called inefficient but if he had made 2 more shots each game instead of missing them, he'd be at Shaq level efficiency while being a much better scorer.

Yet, when I looked at Philly's record the year they went to the finals, if Iverson made 2 more shots every game, they'd have won 4 more games.

Like, 4 more wins for being the one of the greatest and most efficient scorer of all time. Seems underwhelming. :confusedshrug:

Efficiency effects how the other team plays you tho, which will effect your entire offense on every possession.

Also, those extra two shots Shaq doesnt need to get the same points as AI, might be kickouts for three - which could result in six points. In theory, they could even result in a maximum of 8 points. Instead of being two shots AI just takes and misses.

It’s not gonna make the difference between winning your conference or getting the top lotto pick. But the higher you go in terms of competitive level, the more small inequalities make the decisive difference.

Nobody says AI isnt a good basketball player. But if your goal is to maximize playoff success, which is really the primary goal... the reality doesnt quite live up to the mystique, in Iverson’s case. Again, not that he ISNT good or valuable. Just that hes overrated by casuals.

Sorry Gohan.

tpols
02-25-2022, 01:32 PM
4 extra wins in one playoff run is a whole series worth of wins. That shows those 2 extra shots has a huge impact.

3ba11
02-25-2022, 01:55 PM
The difference between a 20 and 25 ppg is like the difference between Kawhi and Klay - completely different dimensions of players - one guy can carry Lowry over Embiid/Butler/Simmons and Giannis/Middleton, while the other is a secondary or tertiary player.

A player that averages 5 more ppg with better efficiency per possession is nearly always a different level player that yields far better teams as a 1st option..

Btw, Iverson was already taking as many shots as he could and his weak efficiency shows that he couldn't handle the load.

So he isn't capable of 5 more shot attempts per game (to make 2 more) without massive cratering in efficiency that would make such an increase unfeasible.

Furthermore, teams were often stretched to capacity defending Iverson's 28 shot attempts and 12 makes.. The back would break most nights if the defense had to defend more than that, such as a completely different and superior player that averaged 5 more points on better efficiency per possession.

John_Connor
02-25-2022, 01:57 PM
I said this during kobes 60 point retirement game. he was like 2 shots off of 50%

but all people wanna say is he took 50 shots.. even though they won the game and he hit the game winner and almost every shot was a long jumper

its actually one of the most amazing games in history

SouBeachTalents
02-25-2022, 02:12 PM
I said this during kobes 60 point retirement game. he was like 2 shots off of 50%

but all people wanna say is he took 50 shots.. even though they won the game and he hit the game winner and almost every shot was a long jumper

its actually one of the most amazing games in history
Yes, Kobe's iconic performances often came in meaningless regular season games.

Rysio
02-25-2022, 02:29 PM
If iverson would've made 2 more shots in each game in 01 playoffs he would've won 2 more games in series he won anyway. So it would look pretty on paper but result would still be the same.

FultzNationRISE
02-25-2022, 02:37 PM
This is sort of like asking “what difference does a couple extra inches make?”

It makes ALL the difference.

Even if we wanna be generous say MJ’s got seven inches... thats not bad, but it’s nothing to write home about. And when Pippen struts by dangling NINE INCHES (probably more, but for comparisons sake here) of girthy kielbasa.... it’s obvious which one is gonna turn Madonna’s head and get that limmo hot tub invite.

I mean 2 may not seem like a big number in itself, but when it marks the difference between ordinary and extraordinary... the difference becomes night and day.

Hope that explains it.

tpols
02-25-2022, 02:47 PM
Yes, Kobe's iconic performances often came in meaningless regular season games.

How is the last game of a legendary basketball players career a meaningless game? That was a primetime game that Kobe won down the stretch against a good team.

SouBeachTalents
02-25-2022, 02:53 PM
How is the last game of a legendary basketball players career a meaningless game? That was a primetime game that Kobe won down the stretch against a good team.
A game between a 17-65 team and a 40-42 team is by definition a meaningless game. It was a game between two lottery teams with literally zero playoff implications. I did lol at the bolded though :lol

tpols
02-25-2022, 03:05 PM
A game between a 17-65 team and a 40-42 team is by definition a meaningless game. It was a game between two lottery teams with literally zero playoff implications. I did lol at the bolded though :lol

The Jazz were 40-42 and the 8 seed was 41-41. So they were a hair away from being a playoff team, and much better than the Lakers yet Kobe led LA to victory. Wait... that means they would have been a playoff team if Kobe blew that game. Kobe kept them out of the playoffs, I guess that was meaningless to them. :lol Jazz had nothing to play for folks.

The main point though is it was Kobes LAST game of a historic 20 year career and he dropped game on everybody. If it was some random game in December or something I'd agree but you're just off base here. Not all regular season ganes are the same. If a guy dropped 70 in a primetime Christmas game it would have massive clout despite just being a regular season game. You're not applying context.

SouBeachTalents
02-25-2022, 03:26 PM
The Jazz were 40-42 and the 8 seed was 41-41. So they were a hair away from being a playoff team, and much better than the Lakers yet Kobe led LA to victory. Wait... that means they would have been a playoff team if Kobe blew that game. Kobe kept them out of the playoffs, I guess that was meaningless to them. :lol Jazz had nothing to play for folks.

The main point though is it was Kobes LAST game of a historic 20 year career and he dropped game on everybody. If it was some random game in December or something I'd agree but you're just off base here. Not all regular season ganes are the same. If a guy dropped 70 in a primetime Christmas game it would have massive clout despite just being a regular season game. You're not applying context.
I 100% knew you were going to lie/be wrong about Kobe keeping the Jazz out of the playoffs :lol

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3769830&itype=CMSID

For the Utah Jazz, it was circumstance out of their control that had them saying goodbye to their playoff dream before Wednesday night's game even began.

There were 10 minutes before tipoff, putting up a barrage of meaningless jump shots, when the Houston Rockets' victory eliminated the Jazz from playoff contention on the season's final night-making their final defeat of the season ultimately meaningless, too.

I'm not even disputing that it was an epic way to finish off his career. But me personally, the stakes and circumstance of the game matters. A guy jacking up 50 shots on a 17 win team against an opponent with nothing to play for just doesn't have enough at stake for me to put that much stock into that performance.

iamgine
02-25-2022, 09:40 PM
If iverson would've made 2 more shots in each game in 01 playoffs he would've won 2 more games in series he won anyway. So it would look pretty on paper but result would still be the same.

Yep