PDA

View Full Version : Individuals are overrated. Basketball is a team sport. MVP is the dumbest award.

Shogon
02-28-2022, 10:49 PM
Maybe one day you clowns will figure this out.

Nobody wins championships by their presence alone... except maybe Bill Russell.

Teams win championships. It has always been this way and it will always be this way.

MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE DOES NOT WIN THE TITLE.

Now **** off.

FultzNationRISE
02-28-2022, 10:56 PM
Maybe one day you clowns will figure this out.

Nobody wins championships by their presence alone... except maybe Bill Russell.

Teams win championships. It has always been this way and it will always be this way.

]MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE DOES NOT WIN THE TITLE.[/B]

Now **** off.

You got a really weird way of spelling “Lebron James.” Dont let me catch u slippin that way again OP.

Not because of what I’ll do to you.

But because of what I cant promise to be able to stop the rest of the LeFam from doing to you.

Got it?

MrFonzworth
02-28-2022, 11:27 PM
Another massively autistic meltdown from op.

VictorMosquito
02-28-2022, 11:29 PM
Another massively autistic meltdown from op.

Replying to bypass the ignore feature so OP can see this

Full Court
02-28-2022, 11:35 PM
Yes, basketball is a team sport. But some members of the team contribute more than others, and I don't have a problem with the highest contributor being recognized for it.

Spurs m8
02-28-2022, 11:36 PM
It's only a team sport when bron loses

When he wins, it's all him

Full Court
02-28-2022, 11:43 PM

Lol. So true!

Chuckbe
03-01-2022, 01:00 AM
Teams with the best player

Mask the Embiid
03-01-2022, 01:04 AM
Embiid got people melting down left and right :oldlol:

you got OP melting down rage posting out of nowhere trying to do away with the whole award, 3 ball going on rants attacking embiid out of nowhere while also somehow trying to prop up a player who hasnt played in 3 decades, the owner of the site deleting my replies in his thread :oldlol:

o we got us one. dey mad mad :oldlol:

edit and i didnt even mentioning the 3 stooges rrr3, proctor, and meth m8. who go from thread to thread attacking booker,gobert,embiid,lebron,zion, ect and any other player who has a fan on here :oldlol:

Chuckbe
03-01-2022, 01:10 AM
Embiid got people melting down left and right :oldlol:

you got OP melting down rage posting out of nowhere trying to do away with the whole award, 3 ball going on rants attacking embiid out of nowhere while also somehow trying to prop up a player who hasnt played in 3 decades, the owner of the site deleting my replies in his thread :oldlol:

o we got us one. dey mad mad :oldlol:

edit and i didnt even mentioning the 3 stooges rrr3, proctor, and meth m8. who go from thread to thread attacking booker,gobert,embiid,lebron,zion, ect and any other player who has a fan on here :oldlol:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2019/05/screen-shot-2019-05-12-at-9.50.51-pm.jpg

WhiteKyrie
03-01-2022, 01:11 AM
Basketball is the only team game where one player can most have their imprint and dna on a game. Or influence. They play both sides of the ball. Unlike say a QB. So, that doesn’t make much sense. The bball team with the best player usually wins.

Axe
03-01-2022, 01:40 AM

Can't even get him out of your mind

Krazy m8

iamgine
03-01-2022, 04:01 AM
It's not entirely individual but not an entire team either. Usually it's the team with the best combination of 2 or 3 players who wins.

Gohan
03-01-2022, 04:26 AM
Can't even get him out of your mind

Krazy m8

Hes telling the truth doe like

Spurs m8
03-01-2022, 04:48 AM
Hes telling the truth doe like

Exactly....when have his stans EVER given credit to a team mate of his? EVER?

They still openly hate them all, even years after they've parted.
And we won't even start on the current team mates and their treatment lmao

SATAN
03-01-2022, 05:08 AM
And we won't even start on the current team mates and their treatment lmao

And what do they deserve credit for, oh wise one?

Spurs m8
03-01-2022, 05:13 AM
And what do they deserve credit for, oh wise one?

Playing alongside the most selfish, team killing player in the league

And dealing with his cancer off the court, too

ImKobe
03-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Basketball is one of the few team sports where one player can really control and take over a game. MVP itself however isn't that valuable of an accolade as you need a good enough team around you to win it, and even then it might not be enough because it's voted by the media, so the award ends up going to whoever is the media favorite. Embiid will likely win the award as the Sixers probably finish top 2 in the EC thanks to the Harden trade while Jokic will get overlooked as he carried a team of mediocre players to a 45-50 win season while putting up ATG numbers. Denver would have to finish in the top 4 for him to have a chance & they have a light enough schedule but the Sixers will have the better record so IMO it's not enough for him to win B2B MVPs, even though he deserves it at this point.

SATAN
03-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Playing alongside the most selfish, team killing player in the league

And dealing with his cancer off the court, too

Oh nm. Didn't realize you were talking about Westbrick.

Shogon
03-01-2022, 09:53 AM
Replying to bypass the ignore feature so OP can see this

Well, I mean you can go too. Obvious alt is beyond obvious. lol. Bye bye!

Shogon
03-01-2022, 09:55 AM
Anyways, I find it hilarious that certain people think this is a reference to LeBron James and another thinks it's a reference to Joel Embiid.

Look at people projecting their own obsessive and intrusive thoughts onto me because they can't overcome them.

:roll:

No, actually, when I had this thread in mind, I was specifically thinking about Ja Morant. Granted he is not top 2-3 in the MVP convo or anything but if the Grizzlies finish high enough he'll get some hype.

And you know what? The Grizzlies are like 12-2 this year without him, despite the fact that he is clearly their best player.

12 and 2.

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a1985991742_10.jpg

RogueBorg
03-01-2022, 10:06 AM

That's a fact. Just another attempt to strip away Lebron's short comings.

RogueBorg
03-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Anyways, I find it hilarious that certain people think this is a reference to LeBron James and another thinks it's a reference to Joel Embiid.

Look at people projecting their own obsessive and intrusive thoughts onto me because they can't overcome them.

No, actually, when I had this thread in mind, I was specifically thinking about Ja Morant. Granted he is not top 2-3 in the MVP convo or anything but if the Grizzlies finish high enough he'll get some hype.

And you know what? The Grizzlies are like 12-2 this year without him, despite the fact that he is clearly their best player.

12 and 2.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1WHAlOdc9ZNUZq85JI/giphy.gif

Shogon
03-01-2022, 10:21 AM

And right on cue, you absolute dumb****...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?502452-Who-s-Memphis-2nd-Star

FultzNationRISE
03-01-2022, 10:26 AM

12 and 2.

Bro can you just leave him out of the discussion for ONCE?

Does everything have to be about Lebron??

I really dont get some of you.

GOBB
03-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Basketball is one of the few team sports where one player can really control and take over a game. MVP itself however isn't that valuable of an accolade as you need a good enough team around you to win it, and even then it might not be enough because it's voted by the media, so the award ends up going to whoever is the media favorite. Embiid will likely win the award as the Sixers probably finish top 2 in the EC thanks to the Harden trade while Jokic will get overlooked as he carried a team of mediocre players to a 45-50 win season while putting up ATG numbers. Denver would have to finish in the top 4 for him to have a chance & they have a light enough schedule but the Sixers will have the better record so IMO it's not enough for him to win B2B MVPs, even though he deserves it at this point.

Your complaints fall on deaf ears since Jokic won the award last season. Now the award doesn’t matter as much because Jokic will not nor should not repeat as MVP. Solid.

News flash Embiid was leading MVP race before Harden arrived. He also balled without the players that were traded for Harden. Let’s not speak on that.

News flash Embiid didn’t have Ben Simmons all year long. Imagine losing an all star caliber player, elite defense player, Swiss Army knife in the stat department.

And yet he’s still dominating at an insane rate. I’m pretty sure judging by username you didn’t think Iverson deserved the MVP over Shaq.

Shogon
03-01-2022, 10:32 AM
Bro can you just leave him out of the discussion for ONCE?

Does everything have to be about Lebron??

I really dont get some of you.

lol. You ****er.

BTW, to the guy below you... Allen Iverson was never a more valuable player than Shaquille O'Neal when they both had legit star level play. Not one year.

GOBB
03-01-2022, 10:36 AM

12 and 2.

The problem is the grizzlies can not maintain that for a long stretch. So they can play better basketball without Morant on the basis the players are “hot”. But they are not a better team without Morant. Look deeper into the numbers and you’ll see a lot of things occurring out of the norm that individual players can not nor would not be able to maintain.

There will always be stretched in a season where a team or player gets hot without a star. Eventually reality sets in. The glass slipper comes off.

Shogon
03-01-2022, 10:43 AM
I didn't say they were a better team without Morant. That's not the point. The point is they have a solid roster and apparently nice cohesion / complimentary play / chemistry which is extremely difficult to account for ahead of time which is why so many teams struggle to put together such a thing. It's almost an unknowable equation beforehand.

Kblaze8855
03-01-2022, 10:48 AM

Shogon was making this point almost word for word before Lebron was in the nba. If I remember correctly he was here with me in 2003 making it about Tmac and complaining about Iverson winning over Shaq.

Now let me go back into the shadows for another few weeks.

FultzNationRISE
03-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Shogon was making this point almost word for word before Lebron was in the nba. If I remember correctly he was here with me in 2003 making it about Tmac and complaining about Iverson winning over Shaq.

Now let me go back into the shadows for another few weeks.

Thats fine bro, go and enjoy the rest of your vacation... but when you come back? Im gonna need to see a lil more “Lebron positivity” out of you. Frankly I havent seen enough acknowledgement come from your direction that he is the GOAT, and that you categorically respect him as such.

Hopefully this will give you something to meditate on while youre away. And when you come back, I wanna see the change.

GOBB
03-01-2022, 11:05 AM
I didn't say they were a better team without Morant. That's not the point. The point is they have a solid roster and apparently nice cohesion / complimentary play / chemistry which is extremely difficult to account for ahead of time which is why so many teams struggle to put together such a thing. It's almost an unknowable equation beforehand.

Didn’t say you did. I’m highlighting the important of a Ja Morant which goes tied into this idea of the NBA being a team sport. It is to an extent but there will always be an individual or individuals who can trump this idea of a team sport. What Memphis did without Morant is what most teams in team sports do when a fall star goes down. Guys raise their level of play dramatically. But eventually it fades. And this cohesion, chemistry, just good ole lookin team play fades. That dude Dillon Brooks shot like curry when Morant was out. He ain’t bout that life. But he had a moment where he was besides himself.

Basketball is one team sport where an individual can really impact an entire team. We’ve seen it. Which is why some franchise try to form “super teams” where they collect more than one of these type of individuals.

ImKobe
03-01-2022, 11:08 AM
Your complaints fall on deaf ears since Jokic won the award last season. Now the award doesn’t matter as much because Jokic will not nor should not repeat as MVP. Solid.

News flash Embiid was leading MVP race before Harden arrived. He also balled without the players that were traded for Harden. Let’s not speak on that.

News flash Embiid didn’t have Ben Simmons all year long. Imagine losing an all star caliber player, elite defense player, Swiss Army knife in the stat department.

And yet he’s still dominating at an insane rate. I’m pretty sure judging by username you didn’t think Iverson deserved the MVP over Shaq.

I know, but that's the point. MVP is about narratives and having a good enough record while putting up great stats. Jokic's numbers right now are all-time level and he's done it with a worse cast than Embiid, even pre-Harden. Embiid is also putting up great numbers but his team will finish with a better record and he's getting more coverage and hasn't won an MVP, thus he gets it. I'm not saying Embiid hasn't been good enough to win it, I'm merely pointing out that MVP doesn't really mean that the player was really "most valuable" or the best player in that season. We can point to many examples like the Nash MVPs or Westbrook's MVP of course.

Embiid didn't have Simmons and the Sixers pretty much had the same record as the Nuggets, despite Jokic not having Murray all year nor MPJ for most of the season. It's still a deserved MVP for his recent stretch with the 25+ pt games and all so I'm not going to be complaining about it once he does win it.

AI wasn't a better player than Shaq or Kobe or Duncan in '01 but his team won enough games and he was the only reliable scorer on his team so I understand why he won it and I wouldn't try to take that one away from him. The advanced metrics never looked good for AI or for most of the perimeter players in the early 2000s so I wouldn't use that against him tbh.

GOBB
03-01-2022, 11:15 AM
I know, but that's the point. MVP is about narratives and having a good enough record while putting up great stats. Jokic's numbers right now are all-time level and he's done it with a worse cast than Embiid, even pre-Harden. Embiid is also putting up great numbers but his team will finish with a better record and he's getting more coverage and hasn't won an MVP, thus he gets it. I'm not saying Embiid hasn't been good enough to win it, I'm merely pointing out that MVP doesn't really mean that the player was really "most valuable" or the best player in that season. We can point to many examples like the Nash MVPs or Westbrook's MVP of course.

Embiid didn't have Simmons and the Sixers pretty much had the same record as the Nuggets, despite Jokic not having Murray all year nor MPJ for most of the season. It's still a deserved MVP for his recent stretch with the 25+ pt games and all so I'm not going to be complaining about it once he does win it.

AI wasn't a better player than Shaq or Kobe or Duncan in '01 but his team won enough games and he was the only reliable scorer on his team so I understand why he won it and I wouldn't try to take that one away from him. The advanced metrics never looked good for AI or for most of the perimeter players in the early 2000s so I wouldn't use that against him tbh.

I agree with it’s definitely about narratives. Every mvp winner hasn’t always been the most valuable no doubt.

Shogon
03-06-2022, 02:20 PM

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?502620-Ja-Morant-Greatest-NBA-Performance-of-the-Year

Embiid and Jokic need to move over. Morant is this year's MVP.

It's actually painful how incredibly stupid and how incredibly predictable people really are.

Shogon
03-09-2022, 01:01 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?502693-Official-Ja-Morant-for-MVP-thread

Called that shit. Like literal clockwork. You guys really are all mostly absolute ****ing morons. I don't know why I ever bother. Oh wait, yes I do, it's because I'm emotionally challenged and one stubborn asshole son of a bitch who refuses to accept that nearly everyone is retarded and be at peace with that fact.

3ba11
03-09-2022, 01:32 PM
When new fans look up the 90's Bulls roster, they're shocked at how they didn't even have a 1b and is filled with role players, not a bevy of stars like other dynasties.

So Jordan is goat specifically because he's the closest we've seen to a 1-man team dynasty. Only Jordan carried his team in every series (10-30 more than teammates in every series), while everyone else had teammates match or exceed them for entire playoff runs.

97 bulls
03-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Yes, basketball is a team sport. But some members of the team contribute more than others, and I don't have a problem with the highest contributor being recognized for it.

The problem with this logic, while true, is that those players that contribute less (according to you) tend to get an amazing amount of chastiment when the team loses. Far more than they get even the team wins. Why is that?

97 bulls
03-09-2022, 01:48 PM

That's why I've always felt there needs to be a player of the year award.

Shogon
03-24-2022, 11:40 AM
Bump-diddly-ump.

Still idiocy being spewed on this board day in and day out, lol.

Norcaliblunt
03-24-2022, 03:10 PM
The actual playoffs and championship might be just as dumb. A format where not every team plays each other, all about seeding and match ups, injuries all over the place, etc, etc means squat when it’s all said and done.