PDA

View Full Version : Shaq was 395 pounds in 2002; he put up [36.3/12.3/3.8/0.5/2.8 on 59.5% FG] in finals

Im Still Ballin
03-05-2022, 08:58 PM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/13/shaquille-oneal-says-he-weighed-395-pounds-when-winning-third-lakers-title/

Shaquille O’Neal says he weighed 395 pounds when winning third Lakers title

Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant infamously clashed over Shaq’s weight while playing with the Lakers. Though they won three straight titles together, Kobe believed they could have been even better if Shaq followed his lead in conditioning.

Just how much did Shaq weigh?

TNT:

“I don’t wanna get skinny. I wanna get ‘Diesel.’” 😂💪@SHAQ’s been hitting the weight room. pic.twitter.com/jUICUo9Y4R

— NBA on TNT (@NBAonTNT) May 12, 2021

Shaq revealed his weight while winning his four championships and present day:

2000 Lakers: 345 pounds
2001 Lakers: 365 pounds
2002 Lakers: 395 pounds
2005 Heat: 325 pounds
Current: 375 pounds

O’Neal was listed at 315 pounds for all three Los Angeles title seasons but 335 pounds then 340 pounds the following two years. He was listed at 325 pounds throughout his tenure with Miami.

For perspective, the highest listed weight in the NBA.com database (which dates back to 1996-97) is at 360 pounds by Sim Bhullar, who briefly played for the Kings in 2015. Among players who spent even a full season in the league, Priest Lauderdale topped the charts at 343 pounds for the 1996-97 Hawks. The only current player listed above 300 pounds is 7-foot-5 Celtics center Tacko Fall at 311 pounds.

Shaq dominated by combining power, footwork and touch. He deployed his size as a weapon because he was so nimble for his weight.

Maybe pushing 400 pounds is an exaggeration – though maybe not! But Shaq clearly got too big for peak performance.

Still, playing as well as he did while so heavy is a tribute to his underrated skill level.

That weight wasn't good for his health and longevity, but man was he physically dominant. Could you imagine this guy in today's league? He'd slow the pace and suffocate teams in the halfcourt. Surround him with shooters and a good perimeter creator/scorer and you'd be set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COHAhaVVRy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLKNT5njb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYGpi9DJPF4

Im Still Ballin
03-05-2022, 08:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpx9cssKEI

John8204
03-05-2022, 09:08 PM
This is a big reason why I have trouble counting Shaq as an all-time great. He had to balloon up to 400lbs and have the Lakers rotate in a bunch of championship caliber role players and he still left the team. (Horry, Rice, Harper, Green, Salley, Grant, Richmond, Malone, Payton) and that was to go along with an all-timer (Kobe Bryant), two solid role players (Fisher, Fox) and the era was in major decline.

highwhey
03-05-2022, 09:09 PM
damn, that's almost patrickchewing's weight

Axe
03-05-2022, 09:09 PM
:milton

RRR3
03-05-2022, 09:30 PM
The difference is Shaq is 7’1

Round Mound
03-05-2022, 09:47 PM
This is a big reason why I have trouble counting Shaq as an all-time great. He had to balloon up to 400lbs and have the Lakers rotate in a bunch of championship caliber role players and he still left the team. (Horry, Rice, Harper, Green, Salley, Grant, Richmond, Malone, Payton) and that was to go along with an all-timer (Kobe Bryant), two solid role players (Fisher, Fox) and the era was in major decline.

I love Shaq but i have to agree. Shaq got to play in his prime with alot of great role players that where very athletic and both good defensively and offensively (and Kobe ofcourse). Offensively though Shaq was insane in the painted area. Nobody could keep him from scoring and dunking inside.

jongib369
03-05-2022, 09:53 PM
As entertaining as the Hakeem VS Shaq games were I really wish Wilt, Gilmore, and Kareem played in Shaqs era. Can't say for sure but it likely would've brought the best out of all of them. Especially from a physical standpoint. Really curious how long Shaq could've played had he not put so many miles on his body weighing so much.

In regards to playing today with all the space to work it would be comical what Shaq would do in this era

coastalmarker99
03-05-2022, 10:49 PM
As entertaining as the Hakeem VS Shaq games were I really wish Wilt, Gilmore, and Kareem played in Shaqs era. Can't say for sure but it likely would've brought the best out of all of them. Especially from a physical standpoint. Really curious how long Shaq could've played had he not put so many miles on his body weighing so much.

In regards to playing today with all the space to work it would be comical what Shaq would do in this era

If Wilt had played as Shaq did he would have averaged 60 to 70 PPG for an entire season instead of 50.

What hurt me was that I wanted to be a consummate basketball player, and I wanted to be able to shoot the ball instead of just taking it to the basket and dunk it like I should have.

I was shooting fadeaway shots, hook shots, finger-rolls... whatever came to my mind that I thought would be pleasing.

A lot of times that was a negative more than a positive.

If I just went out and took it to the basket every time I'd have averaged 60 or 70 points a game.

Wilt Chamberlain.

John8204
03-05-2022, 11:39 PM

Yeah on the flip side image Shaq in the physical era's of the 50's/60's and 80's.