PDA

View Full Version : What's your analysis of Kyle Kuzma as a player?

insidehoops
03-12-2022, 12:30 AM
Please only answer this if you've watched a number of Kyle Kuzma Wizards games and aren't just thinking back to Lakers stuff.

Kuzma's stats: he's played in 61 Wizards games this season, started all 61, averaging 17.2 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 3.4 apg, 46% FG, 34% threes, in 33.6 minutes per game.

ImKobe
03-12-2022, 06:41 AM
One of the best scoring skillsets in the league. Good enough to lead a bad team to a decent RS record. Has been an All-Star level player with 21/9/4 on 48/35/73 splits since Dec 23rd (34 games). Could be the #2 on a contender.

NBAGOAT
03-12-2022, 07:01 AM
One of the best scoring skillsets in the league. Good enough to lead a bad team to a decent RS record. Has been an All-Star level player with 21/9/4 on 48/35/73 splits since Dec 23rd (34 games). Could be the #2 on a contender.

yea you got on some rose colored glasses and ofc there's reason for the bias. His ceiling is 3rd guy on a decent playoff team imo and that team has to have a star duo like philly. There are many playoff teams where he's a 5th guy. If we're going talk about stats being inflated for the top guys, then it's also inflated for the guys in the middle.

When 28 guys put up over 20ppg this year, 21/9/4 with average defense isnt even that close to all star level. Also in the current nba a borderline all star is not good enough to be #2 on a true contender unless the rest of the team is loaded and the lead star is one of the best players in the league.

Edit: from more serious note, he could maybe help wizards sneak into the playoffs next year if they make a good move for a pg and beal/porzingis stay healthy. Kings is not a bad idea for a trade destination and should've happened last offseason. Fox/guard/kuzma/barnes/sabonis is intriguing

plowking
03-12-2022, 08:30 AM
If he is arguably the second best player on your team, you probably won't do well.

If he is the 3rd, but more likely the 4th best player, you're in an okay spot. Slightly better Jeff Green level player.

ImKobe
03-12-2022, 08:43 AM
yea you got on some rose colored glasses and ofc there's reason for the bias. His ceiling is 3rd guy on a decent playoff team imo and that team has to have a star duo like philly. There are many playoff teams where he's a 5th guy. If we're going talk about stats being inflated for the top guys, then it's also inflated for the guys in the middle.

When 28 guys put up over 20ppg this year, 21/9/4 with average defense isnt even that close to all star level. Also in the current nba a borderline all star is not good enough to be #2 on a true contender unless the rest of the team is loaded and the lead star is one of the best players in the league

That's just not true lol. Look at some of the guys who made it this year -- Wiggins (17/4/2), Middleton(20/5/5) or LaMelo(20/7/7) haven't really been better than what Kuzma's done over his last 30ish games. I'm not saying he should have been an All-Star this year but his recent play (last 34 games) is definitely on that level, given how clutch he has been in close games and how this pathetic Wizards' squad is 29-33 with him (0 - 3 without) leading the way for the most of it.

ShawkFactory
03-12-2022, 09:01 AM

Bruh...

HylianNightmare
03-12-2022, 09:26 AM
He's tobias Harris. Doesn't move the needle

Bankaii
03-12-2022, 09:35 AM
Y’all don’t ever get tired of doing the same shit every day:oldlol:

ImKobe
03-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Bruh...

Also violated Embiid on multiple occasions this season.

https://youtu.be/TlbZJ75pYCE

https://youtu.be/E6Vsx8bKQZs

Also had 22 pts 11 ast and damn near got it to OT from half court vs your team, like how can you hate on this man? :facepalm

Shogon
03-12-2022, 10:03 AM
Why do you need to watch him? He's the same as he's always been.

Looks like an All-Star in one game and looks like he's not worthy of being in the NBDL the next.

Very physically talented, a bit of an idiot, defensive liability, more interested in being a star than basketball.

If I had to use ONE word... inconsistent.

ShawkFactory
03-12-2022, 10:03 AM
Also violated Embiid on multiple occasions this season.

https://youtu.be/TlbZJ75pYCE

https://youtu.be/E6Vsx8bKQZs

Also had 22 pts 11 ast and damn near got it to OT from half court vs your team, like how can you hate on this man? :facepalm

Lol calling it silly to say he has one of the best scoring skill sets in the league =\= hating.

Unless “one of the best” is an extremely loose term in this scenario.

ImKobe
03-12-2022, 10:20 AM
Lol calling it silly to say he has one of the best scoring skill sets in the league =\= hating.

Unless “one of the best” is an extremely loose term in this scenario.

I'm merely pointing out that he has one of the better scoring skillsets in the league as a 6-9 player who can do it on all 3 levels. He's not quite Paul George level as he doesn't have the handles but he's developed into a really solid all-around offensive player. He's 75% inside 3 ft, 50% from 3-10, ~40% from mid-range & 34% from 3 on the season. Most of his shots are either 3s or within 10 ft.

He's averaging 25/8/6 on 49/39/74 splits post-ASB.

Manny98
03-12-2022, 10:27 AM
Bruh...
He does have a really diverse scoring skillset but that doesn't translate into being an impactful player (which he isn't)

ImKobe
03-12-2022, 10:38 AM
He does have a really diverse scoring skillset but that doesn't translate into being an impactful player (which he isn't)

Wizards are 29 - 33 with Kuz on the court. Lakers are 23 - 25 with Bran.

In close games (score within 5, last 5 minutes) Wizards are 22 - 13 with Kuzma (Lakers are 12 - 14 with Bran) leading them in crunch time scoring and he makes plays on defense as well.

If you look at the Wizards' SRS they should be at the bottom of the league but they still have a chance to get to the play-in & the Playoffs because of his clutch play.

Manny98
03-12-2022, 10:54 AM
Wizards are 29 - 33 with Kuz on the court. Lakers are 23 - 25 with Bran.

In close games (score within 5, last 5 minutes) Wizards are 22 - 13 with Kuzma (Lakers are 12 - 14 with Bran) leading them in crunch time scoring and he makes plays on defense as well.

If you look at the Wizards' SRS they should be at the bottom of the league but they still have a chance to get to the play-in & the Playoffs because of his clutch play.
They're are 0-3 without Kuzma which is too small of a sample size to make out that Kuzma has massive impact

His less than impressive on/off numbers support that, he's way too inconsistent he has single handedly won games for the Wizards whilst at the same time being the sole reason they have lost games

If he gained some level of consistency which he has recently then he could definitely become a all star though

warriorfan
03-12-2022, 10:58 AM
This will not end well

tontoz
03-12-2022, 11:51 AM
He's been pretty popular among Wizards fans but make no mistake he isn't a 2nd option on offense. As a 3rd or 4th option he is fine.

He is a positive guy who has played hard consistently and had a surprising number of big clutch moments. He got off to a bad start but has been pretty good since then.

kabacho
03-12-2022, 01:37 PM
Bron had to drop 50 in order to stop this stud

ArbitraryWater
03-12-2022, 01:46 PM
Indeed a very talented player.

Don't think ImKobe is that wrong.

Mad at him for not being able to deal with the Lakers environment/pressure.

ShawkFactory
03-12-2022, 04:21 PM
Indeed a very talented player.

Don't think ImKobe is that wrong.

Mad at him for not being able to deal with the Lakers environment/pressure.

I actually disagree with that. I think one of Kuz’s strengths is his moxie. He took a complete backseat when AD came and and wore it pretty well.

It’s annoying when he gets overrated by anti-Lebron guys but I actually like him a lot. He uses his length beautifully and really gives it his all. As far as where he is compared to other players? Not all that high. Maybe top 50? Probably not though.

Someone like Middleton who is a true second banana scoring 34 in a finals game is normal. I feel like if Kuz did that it’d be the game of his life. I just don’t think he could be the second best player on a championship team.

tontoz
03-12-2022, 05:16 PM
I actually disagree with that. I think one of Kuz’s strengths is his moxie. He took a complete backseat when AD came and and wore it pretty well.

It’s annoying when he gets overrated by anti-Lebron guys but I actually like him a lot. He uses his length beautifully and really gives it his all. As far as where he is compared to other players? Not all that high. Maybe top 50? Probably not though.

Someone like Middleton who is a true second banana scoring 34 in a finals game is normal. I feel like if Kuz did that it’d be the game of his life. I just don’t think he could be the second best player on a championship team.

Yeah he isn't on Middletons level. If he is a teams 2nd option that means the team isnt good.

NBAGOAT
03-12-2022, 05:26 PM
That's just not true lol. Look at some of the guys who made it this year -- Wiggins (17/4/2), Middleton(20/5/5) or LaMelo(20/7/7) haven't really been better than what Kuzma's done over his last 30ish games. I'm not saying he should have been an All-Star this year but his recent play (last 34 games) is definitely on that level, given how clutch he has been in close games and how this pathetic Wizards' squad is 29-33 with him (0 - 3 without) leading the way for the most of it.

Lamelo is a great passer. He leads the hornets offense which is great, kuzma can’t do that. Wiggins got voted in he shouldn’t have been an all star imo. He’s also a quite a good defender now while kuzma is average. I don’t have a huge problem comparing the 2 even but keep in mind Wiggins is around the 4th best player on gs behind Steph, dray, and klay or Poole. Middleton is very efficient and the stats underrate how impactful he is on offense because he’s such a good shooter and plays well offball. Also has potential to go off any playoff game and be the best player in a game no matter who’s playing.

however I don’t think he deserved all star bid either because jrues clearly 2nd best guy on bucks this year and one of the better sidekicks in the league after harden(elite defense and an very efficient 18/5/7).

Real Men Wear Green
03-12-2022, 05:56 PM
LaMelo Ball will be staying in the all-star game. Middleton will also be making it as long as Milwaukee is among the conference's best teams. Wiggins is questionable but he is in the West. And there will be other obstacles for Kuzma. Jaylen Brown would have made it if he didn't miss so many games or the Celtics had a better record at the time of voting. Kuzma making it is possible but I wouldn't bet on it in the near future. Washington needs to be a much better team and he has to stay up around 20ppg.

StrongLurk
03-12-2022, 06:12 PM
He's a solid player...that's about it. Not all star level but definitely above average.

SATAN
03-12-2022, 06:26 PM
Poor man's Armen Gilliam.

ArbitraryWater
03-12-2022, 06:41 PM

He became completely useless especially when AD went down and the Lakers and LeBron desperately needed some help.

ShawkFactory
03-12-2022, 08:02 PM
He became completely useless especially when AD went down and the Lakers and LeBron desperately needed some help.

Meh. I think his role just wasn’t clearly defined. He’s a good player and someone I’d take on my team 100/100 times.

He worked his ass off defensively and ran the court better than most.

3ba11
03-13-2022, 02:13 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-24-2021/pPs2wv.gif

^^^ this was stalled by Lebron-ball but has now resumed the trajectory

ShawkFactory
03-13-2022, 02:36 PM

It was stalled by the AD trade.

Ne 1
03-13-2022, 03:47 PM

Lmao he’s averaging 16 ppg! He averaged 18 with Bron!