PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand why people say Kyrie is the most skilled scorer ever

Walk on Water
03-16-2022, 02:16 PM
He is a fine scorer. He is a 23 point per game scorer for his career. You don't get extra points for style like in Space Jam 2. So I'm not sure what it means to be the most skilled. That's a confusing statement.

If it's the ''way'' he scores, you got to understand maybe that's just how he plays. It doesn't make him better just cuz it looks aesthetically pleasing. You don't get extra points for being flashy. To me, Jason Williams aka White Chocolate gave me the awes. Like I said, Irving just scores a certain way and dribbles a certain way. Iverson still did it better. How it looks is based on an opinion.

Nilocon165
03-16-2022, 02:18 PM
It’s weird because LeBeast is clearly the most skilled scorer ever

SouBeachTalents
03-16-2022, 03:01 PM
He is a fine scorer. He is a 23 point per game scorer for his career. You don't get extra points for style like in Space Jam 2. So I'm not sure what it means to be the most skilled. That's a confusing statement.

If it's the ''way'' he scores, you got to understand maybe that's just how he plays. It doesn't make him better just cuz it looks aesthetically pleasing. You don't get extra points for being flashy. To me, Jason Williams aka White Chocolate gave me the awes. Like I said, Irving just scores a certain way and dribbles a certain way. Iverson still did it better. How it looks is based on an opinion.

highwhey
03-16-2022, 03:12 PM
sorry guys, just filled my adderall script. :ohwell:

bizil
03-16-2022, 03:23 PM
Among the PG's, Kyrie is the most skilled scorer ever. Skill is ABOUT the bag of tricks you EXHIBIT in your bag to get off on the court. When you look at Kyrie's handles, it's ARGUABLY the best of all time. On top of that, he's HELLA efficient! Is a 50-40-90 guy. When you watch him play, his overall SCORING SKILLSET gives you a nice balance of everything. The three ball,midrange, post-up for a 6'2 player even, and an EPIC layup package.

I wouldn't call Kyrie the best SCORING PG of all time. I think I would lean to a Steph or Oscar for that. Even though Kyrie is top 5 caliber for that too. Most physically dominant PG scoring wise (despite his woes now LOL) peak Russ. BUT in terms skills he uses (bag of tricks), I think Kyrie is the most skilled scoring PG ever. If he look at other positions, in terms of most skilled scorer:

SG: Kobe (but BEST scoring SG MJ. And most physically dominant scorer MJ or Vince)
SF: KD (I would give KD the crown. Most physically dominant scorer Bron or Nique)
PF: Dirk (but best scoring could be Barkley, Giannis, or Mailman, most physically dominant scorer Giannis)
C: Joker or Embid (but BEST scoring I would say Kareem, most physically dominant Shaq)

AirBonner
03-16-2022, 03:25 PM
Walking with adderall with another classic

Airupthere
03-16-2022, 03:27 PM
Among the PG's, Kyrie is the most skilled scorer ever. Skill is ABOUT the all the tricks you EXHIBIT in your bag to get off on the court. When you look at Kyrie's handles, it's ARGUABLY the best of all time. On top of that, he's HELLA efficient! Is a 50-40-90 guy. When you watch him play, his overall SCORING SKILLSET gives you a nice balance of everything. The three ball,midrange, post-up for a 6'2 player even, and an EPIC layup package.

I wouldn't call Kyrie the best SCORING PG of all time. I think I would lean to a Steph or Oscar for that. Even though Kyrie is top 5 for that too. BUT in terms skills he uses (bag of tricks), I think he's the most skilled scoring PG ever. If he look at other positions, in terms of most skilled scorer:

SG: Kobe (but BEST scoring SG MJ)
SF: KD (I would give KD the crown)
PF: Dirk (But BEST scoring PF I would say Barkley.)
C: Joker or Embid (but BEST scoring I would say Kareem)

Good post as usual

Axe
03-16-2022, 04:44 PM
sorry guys, just filled my adderall script. :ohwell:
:milton

ralph_i_el
03-16-2022, 04:57 PM
It's not even that Kyrie is particularly flashy. He just has such a deep bag of moves and counter moves. It's the diversity of the way he scores. It's the fact that he can score like that at his size and relatively average athleticism. It's that he can do it against a set up defense, and as the lead ball-handler AND off the ball.

A guy might score less but still be a more "skilled" scorer, because he's the guy the team depends on to take tough shots.

90sgoat
03-16-2022, 04:58 PM
Kyrie is absolutely insanely skilled.

Can score in any number of ways.

If he doesn't score more it is because of his mental state and lack of ability to fit in a team.

He's the player AI should have been, except for the hustle.

Walk on Water
03-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Kyrie is absolutely insanely skilled.

Can score in any number of ways.

If he doesn't score more it is because of his mental state and lack of ability to fit in a team.

He's the player AI should have been, except for the hustle.

That has to do with skill too

LeCola
03-16-2022, 05:15 PM
He is just a good scorer with great ball handling ability. Not more...

Walk on Water
03-16-2022, 05:25 PM

Agreed

ralph_i_el
03-16-2022, 05:31 PM

He won the 3 point contest and probably posts up more often than any other small guard. It's more than just dribbling.

j3lademaster
03-16-2022, 05:52 PM
It's between Kyrie, Curry and Kobe.

bizil
03-16-2022, 06:01 PM
He won the 3 point contest and probably posts up more often than any other small guard. It's more than just dribbling.

EXACTLY!!! What makes Kyrie SO DANGEROUS is the fact he has the total package scoring skillset. To be an elite slasher in the league, u DON'T need a flashy handle for that. It's about ball control, dexterity, knowing what to do when, etc. The fact that Kyrie has the INSANE HANDLES and EPIC scoring skillset as a package is what separates him. He gives you a well balanced diet of the midrange, three ball, postups, and getting to the rack.

You DON'T need a great handles OR well balanced scoring skillset to be a great scorer! But the guys who have the great handles AND well balanced scoring skillset as a package PUT THEMSELVES in the most SKILLED scorer debate. They show a deeper bag of stuff WHILE getting their numbers.

Hella two guards in today's game have tremendous handles, great range on their shot, and very good scoring skillsets. BUT how many of them are ACTUALLY a better scorer than the Iceman? Harden (if he's considered an SG) is the only one I would put in the same class as a scorer. Some of them may be MORE SKILLED scoring the rock. Likely because of the three ball and handles part. But Harden is the only one I would put on the level of Gervin as a scorer.

j3lademaster
03-16-2022, 06:03 PM
He won the 3 point contest and probably posts up more often than any other small guard. It's more than just dribbling.He's also gotten so much better moving without the ball in recent years.

bizil
03-16-2022, 06:04 PM

Among the perimeter guys, my top four are those three and KD.

bizil
03-16-2022, 06:19 PM
When it comes to Kyrie, the DISTINCTION has to be made between most skilled scorer AND most skilled player. When we are talking most SKILLED player, shit like passing ability and defense comes into play. This is ON TOP of scoring skillset and handles. It gets tricky BECAUSE this TOTALLY ELIMINATES guys like Steph and Kyrie. So for MOST SKILLED PLAYER, it would be these type of guys for their position:

PG- CP3, GP
SG- MJ, Kobe
SF- KD, Kawhi
PF- KG, AD
C- Embid, Dream, Robinson

So when u look at guys like this, the three ball ISN'T nearly as much of a factor. Because MOST of the great shooter-scorer type guys get ELIMINATED due to passing and defense being part of the criteria.

Jasper
03-16-2022, 08:17 PM
I've always stated he was Earl the Pearl in modern day bball.

How many titles did Earl have ??

Now you know what I think of Irving .... a non-team player , even when Monroe was more than that.

3ba11
03-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Small players can't be the most skilled scorer because post and triple-threat scoring is a required component of the "most skilled scorer ever" package

bizil
03-16-2022, 08:49 PM
Small players can't be the most skilled scorer because post and triple-threat scoring is a required component of the "most skilled scorer ever" package

But Kyrie is different from guards around his size. BECAUSE he gets on the block and puts in work. That's why AT LEAST FOR ME I said Kyrie is the MOST SKILLED scorer among PG's. And overall you could make that case as well.

Manny98
03-16-2022, 08:54 PM
Because every player that is better at scoring than Kyrie is either significantly more athletic and/or taller

Pound for pound Kyrie is the greatest talent we have ever seen

iamgine
03-16-2022, 11:27 PM
This thread should be titled "I pretend not to understand why people say Kyrie is the most skilled scorer ever"

LeCola
03-17-2022, 05:40 PM

I dont say he is bad scorer except dribling.

Good scorer but not great...

Not like Jordan, Durant, Curry, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe etc.

However, his dribling ability is great, maybe best of all time.

ralph_i_el
03-17-2022, 05:59 PM

That's exactly why Kyrie is in this conversation. He does that.

PeroAntic
03-17-2022, 07:40 PM
Kyrie is pound for pound the greatest scorer ever. Other players who are historically better scorers were just bigger, longer and more athletic (KD, MJ, Kobe etc)

999Guy
03-17-2022, 08:53 PM
Well if it’s any barometer he is flat out more skilled than Durant.

That’s a damn good starting point IMO.

Cold soul
03-17-2022, 10:04 PM

You are also forgot to mention MJ, Bird, Kobe and Hakeem as most skilled players. Kyrie is incredible skilled no doubt when he is locked in he is a joy to watch play.

Cold soul
03-17-2022, 10:07 PM
I dont say he is bad scorer except dribling.

Good scorer but not great...

Not like Jordan, Durant, Curry, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe etc.

However, his dribling ability is great, maybe best of all time.

There's no doubt about that. Kyrie has the greatest handles in NBA history AI is a close 2nd.