PDA

View Full Version : Trae Young puts on a show! Top 5 In Scoring and Assist Still gets no love

insight
03-22-2022, 10:10 PM
Trae is the most underappreciated star in the league. Already top 6 All time in 40 point games with 10 assist.

Mask the Embiid
03-22-2022, 10:17 PM
Real fans of the sport respect traeway. Ever since he stopped trying to be steph and accepted that he’s trae young he has been dominant

John8204
03-22-2022, 10:22 PM
Yeah...during the NBA top 75 draft when they were talking about wild cards...Trae Young would have been a good pick. I think Trae is going to be a 30K player

hall of fame offense

maybe one day he'll play more than an ounce of defense

fourkicks44
03-22-2022, 10:48 PM
hall of fame offense

His defense on Ben Simmons in the playoffs was hall of fame.

Scared Simmons into never playing again.

insight
03-22-2022, 10:54 PM
hall of fame offense

If you watched the game tonight it's obvious Trae is putting more effort on the defensive side of the ball but let me not stop your convenient narrative.

If you watched the game tonight it's obvious Trae is putting more effort on the defensive side of the ball but let me not stop your convenient narrative.

https://im2.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-2-23a6746076.gif

Kawhi_Why_Not
03-22-2022, 11:45 PM
Him and Ja are both better then Steve Nash. This era is STACKED

https://c.tenor.com/13S9Xe2VG7gAAAAM/jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

insight
03-31-2022, 09:29 PM
Trae dropped 41 points and 8 dimes in 3 quarters last night. Tonight, he scores 30 points and 7 assist and in 3 quarters but you won't hear a word about it on any sports network.

falconfan13
03-31-2022, 11:11 PM
Trae over the last 10 games is going off on another level even more than he normally does. This is with missing like half a game to a full game time over that span since we were up big in quite a few games. He could have put up even more than this if he played normal amount of minutes.

31 PPG 11 APG 3 RPG on 50% FG / 40% 3pt / 96% FT with almost 2 steals a game as well.

Also Trae's defense is for sure better now than it was the last few years. We all know he will never be a avg or above avg defender but the effort is for sure there now and it is showing with the steals and blocks he is starting to get. He is no longer a complete lost cause back there and i would say he is now just below avg on defense which with his offense is probably enough. If he ever improves to being just avg on defense it's gonna be over.

He's actually a + 1.05 DRPM which would put him at 23rd for PG's in the league and 116th out of 550 players listed in the league. So he isn't so bad there that he is causing the team to be a negative on that end of the floor when he is in the game.

BigShotBob
03-31-2022, 11:15 PM
He's entered another gear but the team has been hobbled with injuries and inconsistencies with their roster

imdaman99
03-31-2022, 11:16 PM
It is surprising how little attention he does get compared to others. He is putting up crazy numbers and I hate him for how he ended the Knicks but I have a lot of respect for him. I think if he has the Hawks as a top 3 seed next season, you'll see the admiration for him. I think the fact they took steps backwards after their breakout year last year has hurt the amount of love he was going to get. It is not his fault, I think injuries have hurt them, but that's gotta be the reason.

theman93
03-31-2022, 11:23 PM
It is surprising how little attention he does get compared to others. He is putting up crazy numbers and I hate him for how he ended the Knicks but I have a lot of respect for him. I think if he has the Hawks as a top 3 seed next season, you'll see the admiration for him. I think the fact they took steps backwards after their breakout year last year has hurt the amount of love he was going to get. It is not his fault, I think injuries have hurt them, but that's gotta be the reason.

He's putting up great numbers, but like you said it's probably the lack of team success.

He's also had a couple of stinkers to go along with his 40-burgers over his last 10 games though (14 points on 30%, 9 points on 25%).

iamgine
03-31-2022, 11:30 PM
He's the posterboy for 'numbers higher than impact' guy.

Still a borderline top 10 player though.

insight
04-01-2022, 09:31 AM
He's putting up great numbers, but like you said it's probably the lack of team success.

He's also had a couple of stinkers to go along with his 40-burgers over his last 10 games though (14 points on 30%, 9 points on 25%).

Context matters, he has had a few bad shooting nights but the majority of the low scoring game are due to teams guarding him full court, doubling him at half court, playing box in 1 the entire game with traps. If it was anybody else, they would constantly be talking about all the defensive attention he gets on every play. He is the ONLY player in the league top 5 in assist and scoring, he has been consistent all season.

insight
04-01-2022, 09:37 AM
He's the posterboy for 'numbers higher than impact' guy.

Still a borderline top 10 player though.

Low IQ post, you just don't like the guy. He already put his team on his back and took them to the ECF but you claim he is a numbers guy. The Hawks have beat every top team in the league, how do they have one of the best record against teams above .500 if he is a low impact guy as you suggest?

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 09:45 AM
Hawks are 10-7 against Suns, Warriors, Grizz, Bucks, Celtics, and Heat

Axe
04-01-2022, 09:59 AM
Damn, that's a decent record for some underwhelming team like them. Meanwhile the bulls went like 0-15 against most of those high seed teams. In their case, just replace the celtics with the sixers to describe it as perfectly accurate. :lol

AlternativeAcc.
04-01-2022, 11:26 AM
Trae > Steph

Full Court
04-01-2022, 01:00 PM
Meh, I have him in the same category as Bronie. Can get lots of points, but is a massive liability on defense. Leads his team to losses and ends up being a net negative.

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 01:05 PM
Meh, I have him in the same category as Bronie. Can get lots of points, but is a massive liability on defense. Leads his team to losses and ends up being a net negative.

After a horrible Covid stretch in December and January the Hawks are 23-12, are 10-7 against the top 3 seeds in each conference on the year...and made the ECF last year.

What are you talking about?

tontoz
04-01-2022, 01:07 PM

He is probably the worst defender at the point in the league. I wouldn't say he is a net negative though. I think his offense is so good that he's a net positive but i think he is the primary reason the Hawks rank 26th in defensive efficiency. They are 2nd on offense.

insight
04-01-2022, 01:16 PM
He is probably the worst defender at the point in the league. I wouldn't say he is a net negative though. I think his offense is so good that he's a net positive but i think he is the primary reason the Hawks rank 26th in defensive efficiency. They are 2nd on offense.

Have you watched Trae Young recently? He will never be a lock down defender but he has improved a lot defensively this season. In previous seasons he was constantly out of position, would refuse to fight over screens and made no attempt at ball denial. This season has increased his steals and awareness and most importantly gives effort.
Trae Young is not the primary reason for their poor defensive, their biggest weakness was the inability of their wings to keep the ball in front of them and Clint Capella not playing up to last years standards.
You are promoting narratives that are not true.

insight
04-01-2022, 01:24 PM

Facts! With Bogi and Huerter and Clint playing well, and a healthy John Collins the Hawks with Trae Young are a tough out in the playoffs for any team. Consistency and staying healthy is their main issue but the role players have been playing much better as of late.

iamgine
04-01-2022, 01:31 PM
Low IQ post, you just don't like the guy. He already put his team on his back and took them to the ECF but you claim he is a numbers guy. The Hawks have beat every top team in the league, how do they have one of the best record against teams above .500 if he is a low impact guy as you suggest?

I think you should first understand 'numbers higher than impact'. It doesn't mean low impact.

tontoz
04-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Have you watched Trae Young recently? He will never be a lock down defender but he has improved a lot defensively this season. In previous seasons he was constantly out of position, would refuse to fight over screens and made no attempt at ball denial. This season has increased his steals and awareness and most importantly gives effort.
Trae Young is not the primary reason for their poor defensive, their biggest weakness was the inability of their wings to keep the ball in front of them and Clint Capella not playing up to last years standards.
You are promoting narratives that are not true.

I'll tell you what is true. His DPBM of -2.0 is actually slightly worse than last year. According to Raptor he is the worst rated defender at the point for the second year in a row.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 01:42 PM
I'll tell you what is true. His DPBM of -2.0 is actually slightly worse than last year. According to Raptor he is the worst rated defender at the point for the second year in a row.

The Lakers really really should not have gotten rid of Caruso.

insight
04-01-2022, 01:54 PM
I think you should first understand 'numbers higher than impact'. It doesn't mean low impact.

I don't know what you mean when you say numbers higher than impact when IMO it is the exact opposite. Teams are constantly throwing multiple defenders at him, trapping him, guarding him full court just so he gives up the ball. His teammates get open looks because all of the attention he draws, and his ability to shoot from long range opens up floor spacing. Not sure there are many other players with that type of gravity in the league.

insight
04-01-2022, 01:59 PM

I can tell you with 99.9% certainty any statical algorithm that declares Trae a worse defender this season over prior years is not credible. How are the algorithms determining what defensive scheme Atlanta is running and what Trae's responsibilities are in terms of helping or switching? I,m not buying it because the eye test don't back it up.
It is beyond obvious if you watch the Hawks Trae's defense this year he has improved and on many nights Bogi, Gallo or Lou Williams are the worse defenders on the team, so I know the worse defender in the league title is bogus.

tontoz
04-01-2022, 02:09 PM
I can tell you with 99.9% certainty any statical algorithm that declares Trae a worse defender this season over prior years is not credible. How are the algorithms determining what defensive scheme Atlanta is running and what Trae's responsibilities are in terms of helping or switching? I,m not buying it because the eye test don't back it up.
It is beyond obvious if you watch the Hawks Trae's defense this year he has improved and on many nights Bogi, Gallo or Lou Williams are the worse defenders on the team, so I know the worse defender in the league title is bogus.

So the defensive metrics aren't as reliable as the eye test from a Hawks fan? OK

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 02:12 PM
So the defensive metrics aren't as reliable as the eye test from a Hawks fan? OK

Honestly? Probably not. At least not from an objective one who watches pretty much every game.

tontoz
04-01-2022, 02:17 PM
Honestly? Probably not. At least not from an objective one who watches pretty much every game.

A fan of a team has bias. Fan is short for fanatic. Fans overrate their players all the time.

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 02:46 PM
A fan of a team has bias. Fan is short for fanatic. Fans overrate their players all the time.

Sometimes they underrate though too. I'm not saying that someone who watches Trae every game knows all. But defensive metrics are far from concrete and I don't think that that says all either.

For the record, I still believe Trae is awful defensively. It's true that he has absolutely put more effort on that end this year, which is a good sign. But he still doesn't fully know what he's doing and gets absolutely abused on switches.

insight
04-01-2022, 02:54 PM

Defensive metrics have some value but each team runs different schemes and each player has different responsibilities in those schemes. The coaching staff and their internal analysis know what those expectations are but a generic report that isn't going to provide that type of insight. You need to observe what type of effort and intensity a player has, you need to see if they are moving their feet, rotating properly and making an effort to close out on shots.
How are these metrics being collected and what is they criteria of measurement?

tontoz
04-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Defensive metrics have some value but each team runs different schemes and each player has different responsibilities in those schemes. The coaching staff and their internal analysis know what those expectations are but a generic report that isn't going to provide that type of insight. You need to observe what type of effort and intensity a player has, you need to see if they are moving their feet, rotating properly and making an effort to close out on shots.
How are these metrics being collected and what is they criteria of measurement?

I am pretty sure they used the transitive property.

If Atlanta sucks on D, and the D is significantly worse with Trae on the floor, then Trae sucks on D.

warriorfan
04-01-2022, 05:12 PM
I am pretty sure they used the transitive property.

If Atlanta sucks on D, and the D is significantly worse with Trae on the floor, then Trae sucks on D.

:lol

Full Court
04-01-2022, 06:43 PM
After a horrible Covid stretch in December and January the Hawks are 23-12, are 10-7 against the top 3 seeds in each conference on the year...and made the ECF last year.

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about THIS year. Offensively, the guy's one of the best in the league.

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 06:55 PM
I'm talking about THIS year. Offensively, the guy's one of the best in the league.

Ok..THIS year they are 23-12 since mid-January when they got everyone back. Covid tore us up for a few weeks.

And THIS year they are 10-7 against the top 3 seeds in each conference, proving that they have game against the big boys.

His WS/48, BPM, and VORP are all on par with or better than Ja Morant and he's the 7th highest rated player in the league according to RAPTOR.

And we've got you in here saying he leads his team to loses and is a net negative.

AirBonner
04-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Hawks have literally been one of the healthiest teams all seasons. They have no excuse for poor execution

ShawkFactory
04-01-2022, 07:33 PM
Hawks have literally been one of the healthiest teams all seasons. They have no excuse for poor execution

The execution has absolutely been poor at times. The point is that Trae has not been the issue.

fsvr54
04-01-2022, 07:34 PM

Flat out wrong

AirBonner
04-01-2022, 08:09 PM
Flat out wrong

Nope it’s true

insight
04-01-2022, 08:39 PM

What are you talking about? The Hawks have not been one of the healthiest teams all year, that's just fake news.

Games missed (injury, COVID, DNP-CD) Through 75 Games

Point Guard: Trae - 6 games

D Wright - 5 games

Kevin Heurter - 8, Games

Lou Williams - 22 Games

Hunter - 29 Games

Bogi - 19 Games

John Collins - 21, Games

Gallo - 14 Games

Clint Capella - 8 Games

Onyeka O - 34 Games

insight
04-03-2022, 08:07 AM
Hawks come out on top, winning a key game against the Nets so why is the main story KD scores 50? When the game was on the line Trae scored 11 points in the last 91 seconds and the Hawks got an important win.
I am not knocking KD, he had a great offensive game but If Trae scored 50 in a losing effort, and KD took over late in the game, scored 36 Points, 10 Assist, 5 Rebounds. the main story would KD is clutch and closes games.
Media refuses to acknowledge Trae Young greatness.