PDA

View Full Version : 2018 GOAT season

red1
03-28-2022, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUUg88Grig

Arguably his best year.

Even Steve Kerr at the end of the season said Lebron was playing at an all-time level, dominating his 7th playoffs in a row (2012-2018).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2778955-steve-kerr-lebron-james-playing-at-a-level-im-not-sure-anyones-ever-seen

"They have a guy who's playing basketball at a level that I'm not sure anyone's ever seen before when you consider everything he's doing."

Proved he was still the best player in the world with zero help. Meanwhile all you hear from low IQ haters is "hurr durr he lost his 6th finals hurr durr."

****ing retards :roll:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/05/25/sports/25powell1/merlin_138584094_d77d5cc7-bcd9-4557-bd38-edd415962499-facebookJumbo.jpg

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2022, 12:23 PM
How the 2018 Finals play out if the Cavs win Game 1 is legitimately one of the biggest what ifs I have about basketball. Do the Warriors still win? Very likely yes :lol But LeBron was playing literally the best basketball of his career, and being able to open that series with a win on the Warriors homecourt with arguably his greatest performance ever? At minimum, it would have made for an intriguing rest of the series.

Bankaii
03-28-2022, 12:31 PM
How the 2018 Finals play out if the Cavs win Game 1 is legitimately one of the biggest what ifs I have about basketball. Do the Warriors still win? Very likely yes :lol But LeBron was playing literally the best basketball of his career, and being able to open that series with a win on the Warriors homecourt with arguably his greatest performance ever? At minimum, it would have made for an intriguing rest of the series.
Unfortunately I think it would’ve been a 2017 Spurs/Kawhi (pre-injury) type effort, where you get a good win then get slaughtered the rest of the series due to the talent discrepancy.

However it is a big what if. You could visible see the life drained out of lebron after losing that game 1.

ImKobe
03-28-2022, 12:40 PM

Cavs lose in 5 instead of 4. His best performance ever will always be Game 6 against Boston because of the pressure he was under while going into a road elimination game.

2018 was not Lebron's best, that would be 2013. He sacrificed his defense for his offense in '18 and the pace was much higher and this is right when the league started breaking all-time ORTG records so the numbers are inflated. It was a nice statistical run but the East was horrible that year and they lost by an average of 15 ppg in the Finals.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2022, 12:46 PM
Cavs lose in 5 instead of 4. His best performance ever will always be Game 6 against Boston because of the pressure he was under while going into a road elimination game.

2018 was not Lebron's best, that would be 2013. He sacrificed his defense for his offense in '18 and the pace was much higher and this is right when the league started breaking all-time ORTG records so the numbers are inflated. It was a nice statistical run but the East was horrible that year and they lost by an average of 15 ppg in the Finals.
While LeBron was leagues better defensively, he straight up struggled for most of the 2013 Finals, and if not for a literal 1/100 finish to Game 6, he would've been heavily criticized for his performance in that series. But this is obviously all subjective anyway. LeBron's one of the rare players who doesn't have that one clear peak season like Shaq or Duncan, you could legitimately argue a number of different seasons for him, though I'd assume 2012 or 2013 would probably get the nod from most.

RogueBorg
03-28-2022, 01:29 PM

If only Lebron knew he had a TO remaining.

Manny98
03-28-2022, 01:37 PM
2018?

Was that the year KD destroyed him in the finals and outplayed him on the biggest stage for the second year in a row?

So KD > peak LeBron :confusedshrug:

3ba11
03-28-2022, 01:43 PM
People are just blinded by the result of a Finals appearance, instead of realizing how much he stacked the deck to do it

The East would've been won by 0-star or 1-star teams in 15' or 18' regardless of whether Lebron's hand-picked teams won it.. And yet the 2018 team was full of Finals veterans and the best sidekick in the conference. Lebron had a massive team advantage in 18' by making 3 straight Finals with his hand-picked team - so despite Kyrie's departure, they were still stacked with championship vets - that's just how stacked a hand-picked ssuper-teamis to begin with

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2022, 01:44 PM
If only Lebron knew he had a TO remaining.
In all seriousness, I've seen people criticize him for this, but I don't know how many players would've called a timeout in that situation. I don't think anyone doubts LeBron has an extremely high basketball IQ, but I think he, Lue and the other Cavs players were so dumbfounded by what JR was doing it took them a few seconds to even process what was going on. I remember watching it live I had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and I think it even caught someone as experienced as LeBron off guard in that moment.

There's just no way anyone can envision or even plan for your teammate not knowing what the score is in that situation, and dribbling out the clock with the game tied in the final seconds of a Finals game :lol Claiming Jordan, or anybody else would've called timeout in that situation is purely speculative.

LeCola
03-28-2022, 01:44 PM
He beat weak opponents before finals and choke on finals against Durant...

Phoenix
03-28-2022, 01:46 PM

I think Lebron having to literally play out of his mind( 50 points) in order for the team to keep pace with the Warriors was too tall an order. Probably would have been a 5 game series. 6 games with the chasm in talent between the teams that year would have been miraculous. Hell, in 2017 it took the Cavs going nuclear from 3 to get a single game off Golden State, and Cleveland was far more potent offensively that year.

3ba11
03-28-2022, 01:52 PM
I think Lebron having to literally play out of his mind( 50 points) in order for the team to keep pace with the Warriors was too tall an order. Probably would have been a 5 game series. 6 games with the chasm in talent between the teams that year would have been miraculous. Hell, in 2017 it took the Cavs going nuclear from 3 to get a single game off Golden State, and Cleveland was far more potent offensively that year.

A four-time Finals team stacked with Finals veterans and a likely-HOF 2nd option shouldn't lose by record amount to any team.

The only reason Lebron's hand-picked super-teams lose by more than expected including record amount repeatedly is because his brand of ball is the worst of all-time - big man ball-dominance is the worst kind of ball-dominance.. carry on tho

RogueBorg
03-28-2022, 02:03 PM
In all seriousness, I've seen people criticize him for this, but I don't know how many players would've called a timeout in that situation. I don't think anyone doubts LeBron has an extremely high basketball IQ, but I think he, Lue and the other Cavs players were so dumbfounded by what JR was doing it took them a few seconds to even process what was going on. I remember watching it live I had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and I think it even caught someone as experienced as LeBron off guard in that moment.

There's just no way anyone can envision or even plan for your teammate not knowing what the score is in that situation, and dribbling out the clock with the game tied in the final seconds of a Finals game :lol Claiming Jordan, or anybody else would've called timeout in that situation is purely speculative.

Lebron didn't know how many TO's he had sitting on the bench at the end of regulation. He sinks down and throws his hands over his face after asking Ty Lue and being informed they had 1 left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNguHza0Qc8

How, as the team leader, a superstar, can you not know how many TO's you have in that situation?

Phoenix
03-28-2022, 02:13 PM
A four-time Finals team stacked with Finals veterans and a likely-HOF 2nd option shouldn't lose by record amount to any team.

The only reason Lebron's hand-picked super-teams lose by more than expected including record amount repeatedly is because his brand of ball is the worst of all-time - big man ball-dominance is the worst kind of ball-dominance.. carry on tho

The 2nd option HOF option being Kevin Love, as opposed to the 2nd option HOF on the other side....Steph Curry :oldlol:. Who was the Klay Thompson equal on the Cavs? JR Smith?

Don't quote me again unless it's that list of 1992 2nd option PPG you're too much of a bitch to post.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2022, 02:14 PM
Lebron didn't know how many TO's he had sitting on the bench at the end of regulation. He sinks down and throws his hands over his face after asking Ty Lue and being informed they had 1 left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNguHza0Qc8

How, as the team leader, a superstar, can you not know how many TO's you have in that situation?
I'm not gonna disagree with you there, since he does seem unsure whether or not they had timeout left. But regardless, he does try calling timeout during the JR fiasco with about .6 left, but by then it was too late.

Axe
03-28-2022, 03:03 PM
2018 was also the same year the last time the raptors got swept in the playoffs. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
03-28-2022, 03:07 PM
probably the greatest athletic season in sports history

j3lademaster
03-28-2022, 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUUg88Grig

Arguably his best year.

Even Steve Kerr at the end of the season said Lebron was playing at an all-time level, dominating his 7th playoffs in a row (2012-2018).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2778955-steve-kerr-lebron-james-playing-at-a-level-im-not-sure-anyones-ever-seen

Proved he was still the best player in the world with zero help. Meanwhile all you hear from low IQ haters is "hurr durr he lost his 6th finals hurr durr."

****ing retards :roll:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/05/25/sports/25powell1/merlin_138584094_d77d5cc7-bcd9-4557-bd38-edd415962499-facebookJumbo.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpBxKjYLT8

One of the smartest and clutchest defensive plays I've seen. Lebron read the offense like a book and got into perfect position at the last second when KD was no longer able to change direction. Doesn't add a sexy block highlight or stat, just great, smart defense. Robbed.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2022, 03:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpBxKjYLT8

One of the smartest and clutchest defensive plays I've seen. Lebron read the offense like a book and got into perfect position at the last second when KD was no longer able to change direction. Doesn't add a sexy block highlight or stat, just great, smart defense. Robbed.
I'll never understand how when reviewing a play to see whether LeBron is in the restricted area (when he wasn't even that close to it lol) how they can then overturn a different call that was a 50/50 play at best. There needs to be indisputable evidence to overturn a call, and there is in no way, shape or form enough to change the call on the floor for that play.

theman93
03-28-2022, 03:47 PM
It was such a great season that he got swept in the series that mattered most. Homeboy also forgot he had a timeout when JR grabbed the offensive rebound with ~5 seconds left. I thought he was the smartest player in basketball? :roll:

1987_Lakers
03-28-2022, 04:46 PM
His postseason performance that year was the best I have ever seen. Seemed like game after game he was dropping an insane stat line and/or hitting a game winning shot.

Gohan
03-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Iverson had the goat season in 2005 sorry op

hold this L
03-29-2022, 08:47 AM

There's zero ifs about it, they would have gotten murdered unless he averaged 50 in high efficiency for the whole finals.

nayte
03-29-2022, 08:49 AM

Nah they would have lost 4-1 . He had a great game no doubt but I don't see it happening to many times if at all again that series . Definitely not enough to win