PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Dantley 34 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists on 89.1% TS -- Game 1 1988 Finals

Im Still Ballin
03-29-2022, 12:33 PM
Such a ridiculously skilled scorer. Extremely quick, strong, and skilled. Wasn't all that fast, but had a great first step. He was also quite shifty, changing his pace deceptively as Harden does.

Limitations: passing, off-ball offensive activity, defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PslcmcqSLDU

Xiao Yao You
03-29-2022, 12:39 PM
averaged 3 assists a game for his career with a high of 4.8. He passed fine

3ba11
03-29-2022, 12:41 PM
Such a ridiculously skilled scorer. Extremely quick, strong, and skilled. Wasn't all that fast, but had a great first step. He was also quite shifty, changing his pace deceptively as Harden does.

Limitations: passing, off-ball offensive activity, defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PslcmcqSLDU

30/6/4 on 56% (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dantlad01.html#1980-1986-sum:per_game) from 78-86' with 24 PER

an absolute all-time scorer - he put the Pistons over the top in 88' and he fetched perennial all-star Aguirre in 89'

Im Still Ballin
03-29-2022, 12:45 PM
averaged 3 assists a game for his career with a high of 4.8. He passed fine

*Willingness to pass and not stagnate the offense

3ba11
03-29-2022, 12:46 PM
*Willingness to pass and not stagnate the offense

He was exactly what Detroit needed to beat Boston, according to the pistons

The Bad Boys doc tells the story

An all-time scorer with goat efficiency

30/6/4 on 56% (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dantlad01.html#1980-1986-sum:per_game) from 78-86' with 24 PER

Im Still Ballin
03-29-2022, 12:50 PM

I agree; and I think his contributions to Detroit are underrated. I just think that he could've been even better if he was willing to pass the ball more and be more active off-the-ball.

3ba11
03-29-2022, 12:54 PM
I agree; and I think his contributions to Detroit are underrated. I just think that he could've been even better if he was willing to pass the ball more and be more active off-the-ball.

That goes for most players

But I bet Dantley could've won if you stacked his team and sure enough he basically did in 88' (bad call in Finals Game 7... Pistons say he took them to another level)

So he was still an all-time great HOF and helped the Pistons on their way to dynasty

tpols
03-29-2022, 01:17 PM

If they were on the same team Pippen would outscore that guy.

ShawkFactory
03-29-2022, 01:37 PM
If they were on the same team Pippen would outscore that guy.

So would Jason Kidd and Tim Duncan.

And Isiah Th...oh

dankok8
03-29-2022, 05:44 PM
Dantley is a classic example of a player whose stats were way overstating his impact. He scored mostly in iso situations so he could only get a lot of touches on bad offenses, didn't care about defense, and had a huge ego on top of it. That's why Isiah wanted him traded for Mark Aguirre who was a lesser player because Aguirre would get in line.

With that being said, he was very skilled. Quick, good midrange, beast in the post... really nothing he couldn't do from the elbow area.

warriorfan
03-29-2022, 06:23 PM
Smart player. Knows how to use angles well and can get where he wants to on the court in different ways. Great touch, good strength.

Xiao Yao You
03-29-2022, 11:28 PM
Dantley is a classic example of a player whose stats were way overstating his impact. He scored mostly in iso situations so he could only get a lot of touches on bad offenses, didn't care about defense, and had a huge ego on top of it. That's why Isiah wanted him traded for Mark Aguirre who was a lesser player because Aguirre would get in line.

With that being said, he was very skilled. Quick, good midrange, beast in the post... really nothing he couldn't do from the elbow area.

Aguirre was his buddy

dankok8
03-29-2022, 11:42 PM
Aguirre was his buddy

Yes but Isiah specifically said they didn't get Aguirre because of that but because he would get in line and Dantley wouldn't. AD started moaning when Rodman started getting better and taking some of his minutes and it threw the team into a funk.

jlip
03-29-2022, 11:42 PM
Had the Pistons won the 1988 Finals it would have been close between him and Isaiah for the FMVP. Isaiah had that legendary 4th quarter in game 6, but Dantley was better in the three wins and obviously better in game 7 with Isaiah's struggling with the injury. So AD more than likely would have been the FMVP.

Spuddywebby
03-29-2022, 11:54 PM
I hated his game. Lots of midrange post ups where he would bully defenders. He was very skilled but just seemed like somebody that need a punch. He’s a school crossing guard now, or was a few years back. Didn’t need the money but said he was getting good health insurance from the job.