PDA

View Full Version : Why is Klay Thompson a guaranteed starter?

hold this L
03-30-2022, 11:53 PM
Not a topic many want to dwell on, but he's been really bad since his return. Which makes sense, he was injured for 2 1/2 years. The issue is that outside of the 1 out 5-6 games he goes off, he's generally speaking hurting the team any time he's on the court. Absolutely insane that Steven :facepalm keeps starting him over JP whose a significantly better player and more impactful this season.

The team's playoffs hopes are done if this dude keeps starting for 36MPG and playing loser level basketball. I love Klay, but his role for this season should be a 6th man. Otherwise, the team is out in the first round.

warriorfan
03-31-2022, 12:00 AM
Op is my alt

ImKobe
03-31-2022, 12:15 AM
He's only been back for a few months after not playing for 2+ years.. He's currently not close to his prime self but you have to give him the minutes/reps and hope he gets back to 90% of what he used to be, because that's what GS needs him to do in order to have a good Playoff run this season. Some other guys on the team might be better for the RS right now but you can't count on them in the POs when they've never been there before.

He's definitely had some stinkers in there but I'd trust him over Poole in a big Playoff game.

3ba11
03-31-2022, 12:20 AM
Not a topic many want to dwell on, but he's been really bad since his return. Which makes sense, he was injured for 2 1/2 years. The issue is that outside of the 1 out 5-6 games he goes off, he's generally speaking hurting the team any time he's on the court. Absolutely insane that Steven :facepalm keeps starting him over JP whose a significantly better player and more impactful this season.

The team's playoffs hopes are done if this dude keeps starting for 36MPG and playing loser level basketball. I love Klay, but his role for this season should be a 6th man. Otherwise, the team is out in the first round.

Yeah, Hayward similarly killed the 19' Celtics by playing losing ball and cratering Tatum/Brown across the board that year (PER, BPM, VORP, WS/48)..

Ainge felt compelled to play his 100 million man and the Warriors are doing the same with Klay.. But the Warriors' have a more seamless system than the Celtics, so this is an issue that should self-correct in the playoffs (klay will get benched), which will provide a higher ceiling than we're seeing now

hold this L
03-31-2022, 12:24 AM
He's only been back for a few months after not playing for 2+ years.. He's currently not close to his prime self but you have to give him the minutes/reps and hope he gets back to 90% of what he used to be, because that's what GS needs him to do in order to have a good Playoff run this season. Some other guys on the team might be better for the RS right now but you can't count on them in the POs when they've never been there before.

He's definitely had some stinkers in there but I'd trust him over Poole in a big Playoff game.

You have not been watching Warriors regularly if you think Klay is more trusting than Poole in the playoffs. He's been seriously awful and outside of a few games, consistently a negative on this team. There's no argument between him and Poole, Poole is not just a little better but significantly so this season. And this topic isn't about what happens in the future, I'm talking about this season.. and more importantly this post season.

3ba11
03-31-2022, 12:32 AM
You have not been watching Warriors regularly if you think Klay is more trusting than Poole in the playoffs. He's been seriously awful and outside of a few games, consistently a negative on this team. There's no argument between him and Poole, Poole is not just a little better but significantly so this season. And this topic isn't about what happens in the future, I'm talking about this season.. and more importantly this post season.

i knew that people would be saying oubre > klay

ImKobe
03-31-2022, 12:48 AM

I watch them every now & then and I know that Klay's been a streaky shooter but it would be really hard for me to trust Poole over Klay in a do-or-die situation. Poole will develop into a star IMO but this is the first year with him playing on this level, and usually players who take that leap in their first year do not come through in the POs, unless we're talking about ATGs.

And yes, I do understand that this is Poole's 15th straight game of 20+ pts and he's shooting an insane percentage from 3 in this stretch(25.5 ppg 50/45/90 splits w/ 9.3 3PA going into the Suns game), but I'll need to see him in the POs first.

Taurus
03-31-2022, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's a secret that Klay has a huge ego, not sure how willing he'd be to come off the bench

Also Klay has done so much for this team over the years that it might be hard for Kerr to bench him.

hold this L
03-31-2022, 01:16 AM
I watch them every now & then and I know that Klay's been a streaky shooter but it would be really hard for me to trust Poole over Klay in a do-or-die situation. Poole will develop into a star IMO but this is the first year with him playing on this level, and usually players who take that leap in their first year do not come through in the POs, unless we're talking about ATGs.

And yes, I do understand that this is Poole's 15th straight game of 20+ pts and he's shooting an insane percentage from 3 in this stretch(25.5 ppg 50/45/90 splits w/ 9.3 3PA going into the Suns game), but I'll need to see him in the POs first.

The problem is that Klay is playing awful basketball. I'm not talking about just making shots, but he plays very little defense, has a much higher usage % on court vs his entire career, dribbling when he can't and taking many ill advised shots. His defense off ball has also been poor. Maybe JP will be streaky or the pressure may get to him, but he's not playing overall negative basketball. Klay is.

If Kerr doesn't bench or significantly limit his minutes, I feel they're getting kicked out in the first round 5. He's that bad this season, just awful to watch.

Nb1
03-31-2022, 03:16 AM
Because he was the best player on their team behind Durant and is the only closer in clutch moments. They need him to win anyhing, so they have to play him as much as possible to get him back into rythm after such a long layoff. Maybe he won’t ever be back to his usual self though, but in any case they have to try because without him they
re just a lottery team.

The guy put up 60pts in 3 quarters without even trying ffs and has the record of most 3 pointers in the history of the game. Warriors need him the most with Draymond too.

AlternativeAcc.
03-31-2022, 03:19 AM
Because he was the best player on their team behind Durant and is the only closer in clutch moments. They need him to win anyhing, so they have to play him as much as possible to get him back into rythm after such a long layoff. Maybe he won’t ever be back to his usual self though, but in any case they have to try because without him they
re just a lottery team.

The guy put up 60pts in 3 quarters without even trying ffs and has the record of most 3 pointers in the history of the game. Warriors need him the most with Draymond too.

/thread

Spurs m8
03-31-2022, 03:27 AM
^^ For someone who claims he isn't a bron stan (we all know he is)...Curry sure cuts him up, like Curry cuts up every bronie.

What a dingus

Axe
03-31-2022, 03:36 AM
re just a lottery team.

:cheers:

iamgine
03-31-2022, 04:25 AM
I disagree that Poole has been better but Klay has always been a D'angelo Russell level player. Numbers higher than impact. Remember when D'lo led the Warriors and they went 15-50? And Klay's defense gets so overrated.

What made the Warriors work is Curry and Draymond. Plus having lots and lots of good role players, including Klay.

ArbitraryWater
03-31-2022, 06:36 AM
I disagree that Poole has been better but Klay has always been a D'angelo Russell level player. Numbers higher than impact. Remember when D'lo led the Warriors and they went 15-50? And Klay's defense gets so overrated.

What made the Warriors work is Curry and Draymond. Plus having lots and lots of good role players, including Klay.

Klay has literally been the opposite of that.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 07:18 AM
to dwell deeper into the issue, it's a matter of confidence and shot selection. it's also helping Klay's case for the fact that the Warriors are 5th in assists and 29th in turnovers. however, it seems as it hasn't been working out, and if the Warriors are willing to run up the pace a bit by encouraging players who rebound the ball well for shots, who knows, things might change.

tontoz
03-31-2022, 08:35 AM
I would agree that they are force feeding him minutes and shots in the hope that he gets his game back in time for the playoffs.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 08:55 AM
I would agree that they are force feeding him minutes and shots in the hope that he gets his game back in time for the playoffs.

oddly enough, that's most likely how he got injured in the first place.

Nb1
03-31-2022, 04:27 PM
When Steph injured himself right before the playoffs the warriors were still beating everyone. But in the last seasons without Klay the Warriors didn't even get to the playoffs lol. Steph has literally no impact on the team. And i really don't get why he's so bad in clutch moments, he's such an amazing shooter, but as soon as it matters he totally sh** his pants.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 04:36 PM
When Steph injured himself right before the playoffs the warriors were still beating everyone. But in the last seasons without Klay the Warriors didn't even get to the playoffs lol. Steph has literally no impact on the team. And i really don't get why he's so bad in clutch moments, he's such an amazing shooter, but as soon as it matters he totally sh** his pants.

or he was sh*tting his pants all along, only there were times you just didn't think it mattered.

ClipperRevival
03-31-2022, 08:55 PM
I haven't watched him that much but his body doesn't look the same. He used to be more cut/muscular. He looks more flabby.

I also don't see the same swag from him. But he's had such a long history of proving what he is, I still think he'll come around once he gets his confidence back.

tontoz
03-31-2022, 09:09 PM

They had the 8 seed in spite of being 2-7 in the games Curry missed.

This season they had the best record in the league before Klay had played his first game. They were doing better without him.

NBAGOAT
03-31-2022, 09:48 PM
keep poole's contract extension lower lol. klay's contract is a bit surprisingly the worst one they have right now but thankfully he only has 2 years left

iamgine
03-31-2022, 10:34 PM
Klay has literally been the opposite of that.

Guy was 22 ppg player. His numbers were higher than impact.