PDA

View Full Version : Who is this eras “other guy”?

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 09:33 AM
60s was the time of Wilt and Russell. I’d say Oscar was the other guy(all due respect to Elgin). 70s I guess Kareem and Doctor J. Other guy….Walton maybe? 80s is obvious. Bird and Magic. Isiah the other guy? Moses? Still Doc or Kareem? I’d say Isiah probably though the others were better players much of that time. 90s is Jordan and you could go with Hakeem…make Shaq or Barkley the other guy? Not sure. 2000s…either Shaq and Kobe or Shaq and Duncan depending on who you ask. I’d say Shaq and Duncan with Kobe the other guy and then give Kobe and Lebron the 2010s with Wade as the other guy(while respecting anyone who wanted to move Kobe back to 2000s and give Wade his spot). But when I think on it…Wade was only Wade briefly. KD was KD the last 12 years. But looking at this it feels like Leonard:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2203311848460384.jpeg

Even though he was only the real Leonard for like 4ish healthy years and didn’t do nearly as much as some of you seem to think he did in 14.

Its probably gotta be Lebron and Steph with KD as the other guy right? Not like “other guy” is measurable. You just feeeeeel like some people are the guy. Does it feeeeeeeeel like Leonard is the other guy for the last decade? It feeeeeels like KD doesn’t it?

Shogon
03-31-2022, 09:36 AM
Yes, of course it is KD. Agreed.

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 09:42 AM
It’s weird to say but….I’m not sure many will remember Leonard even existed. He might be like Wes Unseld or Moses Malone. Champions. MVPs even. Almost totally ignored. It feels like I see him so rarely he doesn’t even enter my mind as a star.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 09:46 AM
technically Steph is the "other guy" regardless of era. he's the player that's redefining positions and how the game is played.

you literally can't redefine positions and how the game is played by playing the game instead of changing the rules though

Shogon
03-31-2022, 09:47 AM
It’s weird to say but….I’m not sure many will remember Leonard even existed. He might be like Wes Unseld or Moses Malone. Champions. MVPs even. Almost totally ignored. It feels like I see him so rarely he doesn’t even enter my mind as a star.

I mean in a hypothetical world where he's 100% healthy all these years, obviously he would be in the discussion.

But the reality is... he isn't.

Unlucky? Yeah. But it is what it is.

Career longevity matters a hell of a lot in discussions of players from years past... this is why nobody cares about Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, Anfernee Hardaway, and the list goes on... just to name some players that helped rip my heart out due to careers drastically altered by injuries.

Because all three of these guys were substantially better players than numerous guys in the top 75, but none of them put it together for a career. Not really.

Nobody cares.

Just a sad fact of life.

I understand Kawhi is different because of titles, but still.

iamgine
03-31-2022, 09:50 AM
Shouldn't the pictures be of KD on the 17 & 18 chips?

HoopsNY
03-31-2022, 09:51 AM
It's definitely KD. However, if we're talking 2010-2020, then it might actually be Kawhi. It's easy to write Kawhi off now after 2019 due to the problems he's had with load management, injuries, and his meltdown in the bubble. But after 2019, people were saying he's the best player in the league.

And in some ways, Kawhi might be a better player than Steph in the 2010s. He won 2 FMVPs, Steph won none. He won DPOY 2x. Steph was always a horrid defender. And Kawhi had that clutch gene whereas Steph simply didn't. So maybe it's LeBron and Kawhi in the 2010s and Steph is the "other guy"?

Shogon
03-31-2022, 09:52 AM

No because KD didn't help build those teams and he was not the driving force behind those titles. He was their best 1 on 1 player by a mile, but that's it.

Akeem34TheDream
03-31-2022, 09:52 AM
This thread will be hijacked by the trolls very soon.

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 09:53 AM
The graphic is from a Steph and Lebron game so it focused on them.

highwhey
14-15:

https://previews.123rf.com/images/oguzdkn/oguzdkn1804/oguzdkn180400076/100110067-temporarily-injured-man-in-bandage-with-crutches-warning-red-triangle-road-sign-isolated-on-white-ba.jpg

HoopsNY

Good point. Completely forgot about that lol

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 09:58 AM
No because KD didn't help build those teams and he was not the driving force behind those titles. He was their best 1 on 1 player by a mile, but that's it.

your bias turns into negativity.

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 09:58 AM
The 15 Warriors run really has to stand alone. They have to be the only team ever to play 4 straight rounds vs injured or missing starting point guards. I saw people taking about the Suns and Bucks for facing injuries and we act like that whole run didn’t happen. I guess Conley, Jrue, and Beverly aren’t big names so nobody cares they were banged up or missing games but when you toss in Kyrie only playing one game too? Just a weird run of luck.

tontoz
03-31-2022, 10:01 AM
This thread is like a bat signal to Uncle Dennis. Kawhi_Forever making his appearance in 3.....2.....

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 10:07 AM
Just a weird run of luck.

luck doesn't exist as long as opportunistic exist

Wally450
03-31-2022, 11:00 AM
I'd say the "other guy" is Durant in this scenario. He was always the odd guy out in OKC. Had the chance to dethrone the Warriors and choked it away. Then had to join Steph and GS just to get a couple cheap rings that no one takes seriously. He won't win another one and will be looked back on as the "other guy" of the the 2010s despite being a 2 time champion, 2 time FMVP and an all time great player.

tpols
03-31-2022, 12:21 PM
The 15 Warriors run really has to stand alone. They have to be the only team ever to play 4 straight rounds vs injured or missing starting point guards. I saw people taking about the Suns and Bucks for facing injuries and we act like that whole run didn’t happen. I guess Conley, Jrue, and Beverly aren’t big names so nobody cares they were banged up or missing games but when you toss in Kyrie only playing one game too? Just a weird run of luck.

Last year AD, Kawhi, Kyrie, and Harden all went down. That's much more superstar talent going down than those point guards in 2015 some of which were literally role players.

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 12:28 PM
There are plenty of years with several guys out. I’m taking about vs the same team. With 16 teams there are always injuries. I’d imagine it’s rare to play 4 teams in a row missing guys. 3 of them all star points.

Shogon
03-31-2022, 12:39 PM
Didn't the Kawhi Raptors title also have a shit ton of luck?

0% chance they beat those Warriors in the Finals if the W's don't lose KD + Klay... they might not even win if they only lose 1.

Luckiest bounce in league history on a travel by Kawhi to advance past the 76ers. Not sure about the other rounds, but yeah.

Individuals are overrated. Titles are overrated. Everyone is retarded.

tpols
03-31-2022, 12:47 PM
Didn't the Kawhi Raptors title also have a shit ton of luck?

0% chance they beat those Warriors in the Finals if the W's don't lose KD + Klay... they might not even win if they only lose 1.

Luckiest bounce in league history on a travel by Kawhi to advance past the 76ers. Not sure about the other rounds, but yeah.

I mean that Philly team was loaded and Kawhi put them away himself. He had an unreal series against a team with tough defense jimmy butler and Embiid. The bucks were loaded and up 2-0 and lost fair and square after that. They got lucky with the warriors no doubt but last year we saw every contender ~ Clippers, Lakers, and Nets lose superstars. Those were the betting favorites last year and they all lost superstars. That doesnt happen, every year. There s levels to it.

Shogon
03-31-2022, 12:49 PM
I mean that Philly team was loaded and Kawhi put them away himself. He had an unreal series against a team with tough defense jimmy butler and Embiid. The bucks were loaded and up 2-0 and lost fair and square after that. They got lucky with the warriors no doubt but last year we saw every contender ~ Clippers, Lakers, and Nets lose superstars. Those were the getting favprites last year and they all lost superstars. That doesnt happen, every year. There s levels to it.

He put them away himself. He won 1 on 5. I know, you're right. I watched the same thing also.

SouBeachTalents
03-31-2022, 12:49 PM
If other guy just means 2nd best player, then sure, it’s KD, maybe Curry. But my interpretation of “other guy” would be a great player who never quite had his shine as the best player in the league. So for this era, that would go to CP3, who at 37 has never won MVP or a championship. You could def argue Harden as well.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 12:59 PM

so life, based on the idea of time, is a verb, instead of a noun.

r0drig0lac
03-31-2022, 02:14 PM

this

FultzNationRISE
03-31-2022, 02:22 PM
Yes, of course it is KD. Agreed.

This one you got right :cheers:

Norcaliblunt
03-31-2022, 03:00 PM
Who cares who the guy or other guy is? ItÂ’s a team sport. Trying to rank players is a corporate media sponsorship driven agenda. In this era especially, every great player has done amazing things while also having choked or benefitted from good luck like injures, stacking teams, and playing in a terrible conference.

Kblaze8855
03-31-2022, 03:03 PM
“Other guy” isn’t a ranking. The 80s being the era of Bird and Magic doesn’t necessarily mean Moses, Kareem, or Jordan couldn’t be considered better. But they definitely didn’t define the time.

GimmeThat
03-31-2022, 03:04 PM
Who cares who the guy or other guy is?

some gay guy

AlternativeAcc.
03-31-2022, 03:07 PM
Curry is the most overrated player of all time

He's not even currently top 10...

Durant has always been better, and he's far better now after Achilles injury

Most people don't know the game, thats why curry has gotten hype. His career totals are garbage.. he's just all hype

Norcaliblunt
03-31-2022, 03:07 PM
Defining the era being the guy or other guy is just media hype. In China Yao is “the guy”. So yeah if we are talking marketing yada yada yada the actual basketball being played and how players won means very little.

AlternativeAcc.
03-31-2022, 03:10 PM
I'd say the "other guy" is Durant in this scenario. He was always the odd guy out in OKC. Had the chance to dethrone the Warriors and choked it away. Then had to join Steph and GS just to get a couple cheap rings that no one takes seriously. He won't win another one and will be looked back on as the "other guy" of the the 2010s despite being a 2 time champion, 2 time FMVP and an all time great player.

He played with Westrbick and scrubs. What he did in OKC elevates his legacy... nobody could win a ring in his place.

You don't know this because you're a dumb casual. You don't know basketball, many don't

La Frescobaldi
03-31-2022, 03:25 PM
60s was the time of Wilt and Russell. I’d say Oscar was the other guy(all due respect to Elgin). 70s I guess Kareem and Doctor J. Other guy….Walton maybe? 80s is obvious. Bird and Magic. Isiah the other guy? Moses? Still Doc or Kareem? I’d say Isiah probably though the others were better players much of that time. 90s is Jordan and you could go with Hakeem…make Shaq or Barkley the other guy? Not sure. 2000s…either Shaq and Kobe or Shaq and Duncan depending on who you ask. I’d say Shaq and Duncan with Kobe the other guy and then give Kobe and Lebron the 2010s with Wade as the other guy(while respecting anyone who wanted to move Kobe back to 2000s and give Wade his spot). But when I think on it…Wade was only Wade briefly. KD was KD the last 12 years. But looking at this it feels like Leonard:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2203311848460384.jpeg

Even though he was only the real Leonard for like 4ish healthy years and didn’t do nearly as much as some of you seem to think he did in 14.

Its probably gotta be Lebron and Steph with KD as the other guy right? Not like “other guy” is measurable. You just feeeeeel like some people are the guy. Does it feeeeeeeeel like Leonard is the other guy for the last decade? It feeeeeels like KD doesn’t it?

60s “other guy” was Jerry West.
70s “other guy” was John Havlicek. Or even Walt Frazier but only 4 years?
80s I want it to be a few guys but it’s just gotta be Thomas
90s Sir Charles to me, guys like Malone just weren’t in that circle somehow
00s Kobe
10s Leonard

Durant is Alex English in a ring hopping era

Manny98
03-31-2022, 05:19 PM
KD obviously

Kawhi_Why_Not
03-31-2022, 05:20 PM
Every NBA finals from 2013-2019 had either Kawhi or Curry in it.

Kawhi_Why_Not
03-31-2022, 05:22 PM
It's definitely KD. However, if we're talking 2010-2020, then it might actually be Kawhi. It's easy to write Kawhi off now after 2019 due to the problems he's had with load management, injuries, and his meltdown in the bubble. But after 2019, people were saying he's the best player in the league.

And in some ways, Kawhi might be a better player than Steph in the 2010s. He won 2 FMVPs, Steph won none. He won DPOY 2x. Steph was always a horrid defender. And Kawhi had that clutch gene whereas Steph simply didn't. So maybe it's LeBron and Kawhi in the 2010s and Steph is the "other guy"?

yup. your never the guy if your under 6"5 and steph is no different

houston
04-01-2022, 01:17 AM
kevin durant

ImKobe
04-01-2022, 04:00 AM
How is Kobe the "other guy" in the 2000s?

Finals appearances

Kobe: 6
Shaq: 5
Duncan: 3

Titles:

Kobe: 4
Shaq: 4

Duncan & Kobe both made All-NBA all 10 years, Shaq fell off after '06. Kobe beat the Spurs in the POs 3 out of 4 times, Shaq 2 out of 3.

Kobe led the decade in points by a wide margin, AI was 2nd with almost 2,000 points off. Kobe was also 6th in assists and 3rd in steals and 12th in blocks/steals.

Duncan had more RS success but Kobe making twice the number of Finals & winning more rings despite going through the 05-07 rebuilding years is a huge accomplishment, and beating Duncan H2H 3x in the POs is also an accomplishment because Spurs-Lakers were the real Finals from 01-03 and Kobe came up big in crunch time in all of those series and was the best player on the court for the most part. He also had the best clutch stats in the POs between the 3 guys and was the #1 option in crunch time even at 21 with peak Shaq on the team.

Shaq's peak might be considered better by many but he only lasted for about half the decade as "the guy" and was clearly the #2 option by '03. You can argue Duncan's peak as well but making half the Finals and losing in 5 to Kobe in '08 with equal supporting casts seals the deal IMO.

2010s goes to Steph

Sulico
04-01-2022, 06:48 AM
It's KD. Kawhi left his footprint on this era too, but he was roleplayer for the first half of the decade.

Im Still Ballin
04-01-2022, 08:07 AM

Finals appearances

Titles:

Duncan & Kobe both made All-NBA all 10 years, Shaq fell off after '06. Kobe beat the Spurs in the POs 3 out of 4 times, Shaq 2 out of 3.

Kobe led the decade in points by a wide margin, AI was 2nd with almost 2,000 points off. Kobe was also 6th in assists and 3rd in steals and 12th in blocks/steals.

Duncan had more RS success but Kobe making twice the number of Finals & winning more rings despite going through the 05-07 rebuilding years is a huge accomplishment, and beating Duncan H2H 3x in the POs is also an accomplishment because Spurs-Lakers were the real Finals from 01-03 and Kobe came up big in crunch time in all of those series and was the best player on the court for the most part. He also had the best clutch stats in the POs between the 3 guys and was the #1 option in crunch time even at 21 with peak Shaq on the team.

Shaq's peak might be considered better by many but he only lasted for about half the decade as "the guy" and was clearly the #2 option by '03. You can argue Duncan's peak as well but making half the Finals and losing in 5 to Kobe in '08 with equal supporting casts seals the deal IMO.

2010s goes to Steph

I agree about Kobe. I think it's a three-way between Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan.

The other guy is probably a tie between KG, Dirk, and LeBron.

LeBron obviously came in late, only spending 7 years in the decade. However, he did a lot: 2 MVPs, finals appearance, 66 win season, 61 win season. More than KG ever did, to be honest.

HoopsNY
04-01-2022, 08:09 AM

Finals appearances

Titles:

2010s goes to Steph

Yea, you're right about the 2000s being Kobe and Duncan. Shaq in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 was still good, but nothing in comparison to Kobe, while Kobe was right with Shaq and even better in 2004 and 2005.

The most Shaq has on Kobe is 2000, 2001, 2002, and maybe 2003. And I'd say 2003 is debatable.

Im Still Ballin
04-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Yea, you're right about the 2000s being Kobe and Duncan. Shaq in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 was still good, but nothing in comparison to Kobe, while Kobe was right with Shaq and even better in 2004 and 2005.

The most Shaq has on Kobe is 2000, 2001, 2002, and maybe 2003. And I'd say 2003 is debatable.

Shaq's first half of the decade is way too strong. He was an MVP candidate up to '05. That threepeat alone puts him right there with Kobe and Duncan IMO.

La Frescobaldi
04-01-2022, 08:25 AM

Could make those kinds of arguments about Kobe vs Duncan but there isn’t any debates about Kobe or Shaq. It’s O’Neal and it isn’t even close.

So not close that Kobe spent the rest of his career trying to overcome what Shaq did 00-02 and failing bad. The terrible truth is Bryant lived in another man’s shadow.
O’Neal’s peak three > Bryant’s entire nba career.

ImKobe
04-01-2022, 08:56 AM

And even in the early '00s you had stretches where Kobe was 1a and Shaq was 1b. Shaq might have won the FMVPs but Kobe in '01 for instance was the best player through the first 3 series and the best player in the real Finals against the Spurs in the WCF & he of course was the closer and the lead playmaker on those teams. It's close between the 3 so it might seem disrespectful to call any of them the "other guy" but KB had the most success overall IMO as his prime lasted that entire decade while Shaq & Duncan both started the decline in the mid/late-2000s, but the accolades overall are pretty close.

Could make those kinds of arguments about Kobe vs Duncan but there isn’t any debates about Kobe or Shaq. It’s O’Neal and it isn’t even close.

So not close that Kobe spent the rest of his career trying to overcome what Shaq did 00-02 and failing bad. The terrible truth is Bryant lived in another man’s shadow.

How is it not close exactly? Kobe post-Shaq went to 3 straight Finals and won 2, Shaq post-Kobe went to 1 Finals and won 1 ring as a sidekick and failed on the Suns & Cavs & was completely washed once he tried to ride the Celtics for a ring in '11.

HoopsNY
04-01-2022, 09:08 AM
Shaq's first half of the decade is way too strong. He was an MVP candidate up to '05. That threepeat alone puts him right there with Kobe and Duncan IMO.

Nah, now you're just underrating Kobe. Kobe was a 1b in 2001. And in 2003 and 2004, he finished ahead of Shaq in MVP voting. So while Shaq does have 2005 to his credit, it completely underrates when Kobe actually finished ahead of him.

Btw, Kobe blew him out the water in MVP voting in 2003.

That's really a matter of how you define "best player of the decade" then. If you're going to go on a weighted scale because of Shaq's 2000-02 seasons and disregard the rest, then I suppose you may have a point.

But even then, I think you're not considering how strong of a player Kobe was in the first half of the decade. See my comments to I'm Still Ballin.

SouBeachTalents
04-01-2022, 09:32 AM

Finals appearances

Titles:

2010s goes to Steph
:roll:

Wally450
04-01-2022, 09:41 AM
He played with Westrbick and scrubs. What he did in OKC elevates his legacy... nobody could win a ring in his place.

You don't know this because you're a dumb casual. You don't know basketball, many don't

And yet he's still the "other guy"...

StrongLurk
04-01-2022, 10:22 AM
Kawhi might be the most forgotten superstar of the modern era if he retires soon...Dude is SO good at his peak but his body isn't holding up (similar to Wade).

If Kawhi gets another ring then he will for sure be remembered, but without another one people just don't care about him.

La Frescobaldi
04-01-2022, 12:49 PM
Nah, now you're just underrating Kobe. Kobe was a 1b in 2001. And in 2003 and 2004, he finished ahead of Shaq in MVP voting. So while Shaq does have 2005 to his credit, it completely underrates when Kobe actually finished ahead of him.

Btw, Kobe blew him out the water in MVP voting in 2003.

That's really a matter of how you define "best player of the decade" then. If you're going to go on a weighted scale because of Shaq's 2000-02 seasons and disregard the rest, then I suppose you may have a point.

But even then, I think you're not considering how strong of a player Kobe was in the first half of the decade. See my comments to I'm Still Ballin.

bryant was outstanding no question about it; he carried Shaq several games just like pippen did in the 90s for jordan. If we’re gonna give leadership role during championship runs to kobe 00-03 then we give them to pippen before him and nobody does that so why does Bryant get that?
A: he doesn’t.
Kobe gets 1 ring as the guy running the team. Not 4.

AlternativeAcc.
04-01-2022, 03:45 PM
And yet he's still the "other guy"...

This is a thread about casual fan interpretation.

Durant is 2nd behind LeBron for his era, and there's no real argument against it.

Not sure you understand this is a thread about casual fans. I guess you being a casual fan you don't quite understand that