Wally450
04-01-2022, 02:05 PM
Draw happened earlier today.

Here's the outcome.

Thoughts?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPRltabXEAAquZ5?format=jpg&name=large

1987_Lakers
04-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Mexico has a top 10 team this year, will be interested to see how far they make it.

ArbitraryWater
04-01-2022, 05:35 PM
Most even draw ever?

1 great team in all with the exception of E which has 2.

FultzNationRISE
04-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Most even draw ever?

Japan’s good, I wouldnt go so far as to call them GREAT tbh.

But Spain, yes, I agree.

:banana:

ArbitraryWater
04-01-2022, 07:34 PM
Japan’s good, I wouldnt go so far as to call them GREAT tbh.

But Spain, yes, I agree.

:banana:

:coleman:

bladefd
04-01-2022, 10:38 PM
Is the US team any good this time?

BurningHammer
04-01-2022, 11:50 PM
Group F and G will be fun to watch.

dankok8
04-02-2022, 12:19 AM
Euro Play-off is either Wales, Scotland or Ukraine.
IC Play-off 1 is either UAE, Australia or Peru.
IC Play-off 2 is either Costa Rica or New Zealand.

The groups are pretty well balanced. Honestly no groups of death.

glidedrxlr22
04-13-2022, 09:11 AM
Italy missing it's second world cup in a row...wow.

BigKobeFan
04-13-2022, 10:54 AM
Wow. No real group of death

dankok8
04-13-2022, 11:41 AM
There aren't really any clear favorites in this WC. A lot of top teams aren't as strong as they used to be.

TheMan
04-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Mexico has a top 10 team this year, will be interested to see how far they make it.

If history is any indication, they'll make it out of group play and quickly lose in the round of 16.

Charlie Sheen
04-13-2022, 03:38 PM
If history is any indication, they'll make it out of group play and quickly lose in the round of 16.

:lol :cheers:

iamgine
04-14-2022, 01:44 AM
Group F,A,G is gonna be interesting.

FKAri
05-31-2022, 12:24 PM
The English already celebrating.

I remember this celebration:

https://www.si.com/.image/t_share/MTY4MjU5OTkzOTMwMTgwNDgx/image-placeholder-title.jpg

Charlie Sheen
05-31-2022, 02:09 PM
The English already celebrating.

I remember this celebration:

https://www.si.com/.image/t_share/MTY4MjU5OTkzOTMwMTgwNDgx/image-placeholder-title.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CapitalPowerfulFlounder-size_restricted.gif

ArbitraryWater
05-31-2022, 05:33 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CapitalPowerfulFlounder-size_restricted.gif

:oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
05-31-2022, 05:34 PM
Group F,A,G is gonna be interesting.

I see what you did there (or didn't)

Nanners
05-31-2022, 05:36 PM
Most even draw ever?

What is the great team in group B? England? Dont you have to actually win sometimes to be considered great?

Wally450
11-14-2022, 07:59 PM
World Cup starts this Sunday. Definitely feels weird starting in November and not June.

TheMan
11-16-2022, 09:39 AM
What is the great team in group B? England? Dont you have to actually win sometimes to be considered great?

They get called great because they won like a half century ago, same as Uruguay when they won 100 years ago or some shit :lol

dankok8
11-17-2022, 07:32 PM
The Messi Effect - The whole and entire media and millions of fans picking Argentina to win the World Cup. In reality they have just a puncher's chance. How can you tell? Look at how many of their national team players play for the biggest teams in the world. The big CL contenders like Real Madrid, Bayern, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG...

Messi

End of list.

It's pretty damn insane!

ArbitraryWater
11-17-2022, 09:06 PM
They get called great because they won like a half century ago, same as Uruguay when they won 100 years ago or some shit :lol

Football teams dont become great by winning the WC or EURO's, dummie.

Otherwise there'd be like 3 great teams in a decade.

Teams can still be great without winning.

TheMan
11-18-2022, 03:20 AM
Football teams dont become great by winning the WC or EURO's, dummie.

Otherwise there'd be like 3 great teams in a decade.

Teams can still be great without winning.

Are you saying England is a great team then? Dummy? How would you go about calling teams great if they don't win shit? By FIFA rankings then? England is ranked 5th worldwide, right in front of Italy that didn't even make it to the WC so so much for that...what exactly makes England great :confusedshrug:

And yes, teams should be called great on results, not on potential. France and Germany had the last great teams, Portugal isn't even with your mancrush on that squad.

dankok8
11-18-2022, 12:18 PM
^ Portugal is a stacked team. Literally great in attack, midfield and defense. Not sure how they aren't among betting favorites especially since topping their very winnable group will give them a somewhat easy draw in the knockouts as well.

I've got Brazil, Germany and Portugal as my three favorites.

Overdrive
11-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Are you saying England is a great team then? Dummy? How would you go about calling teams great if they don't win shit? By FIFA rankings then? England is ranked 5th worldwide, right in front of Italy that didn't even make it to the WC so so much for that...what exactly makes England great :confusedshrug:

And yes, teams should be called great on results, not on potential. France and Germany had the last great teams, Portugal isn't even with your mancrush on that squad.

Not saying this England team is great, but you can be without winning. That Socrates, Zico Brazil team was great, so was the 70s dutch team among others.

dankok8
11-18-2022, 12:25 PM
I think England is overlooked though. They have a group they should win easily then they could face Senegal/Ecuador in R16 and Denmark in QF. I could see them in the SF easily and once you're that far you're in it to win it. I think their mentality can be questioned for sure but they have the talent to make noise.

ShawkFactory
11-18-2022, 02:14 PM

England has a great team. Their talent is up there with any in the field

TheMan
11-18-2022, 02:58 PM
I think the meaning of the word great is the issue here...speaking only for myself, I don't like throwing the word great around, I reserve it for the truly elite, for example, winning the world cup...you don't luck your way into a world cup title. IMO, England and Portugal are two very talented teams but until the team actually holds the world cup at the end of the tournament, to me they are two very good teams and should be be considered great only until they proved it on the pitch by actually winning the cup.

On another note, awarding Qatar the WC will end up being seen as a mistake. I'm predicting a lot of foreigners are gonna get in trouble because of all of the restrictive laws they have there.

ShawkFactory
11-18-2022, 04:02 PM
I think the meaning of the word great is the issue here...speaking only for myself, I don't like throwing the word great around, I reserve it for the truly elite, for example, winning the world cup...you don't luck your way into a world cup title. IMO, England and Portugal are two very talented teams but until the team actually holds the world cup at the end of the tournament, to me they are two very good teams and should be be considered great only until they proved it on the pitch by actually winning the cup.

On another note, awarding Qatar the WC will end up being seen as a mistake. I'm predicting a lot of foreigners are gonna get in trouble because of all of the restrictive laws they have there.

Confirmed no alcohol.

Absolutely insane for the WC

AlternativeAcc.
11-18-2022, 04:47 PM
Interesting to see how Freddy Adu performs in his comeback. Dark horse Golden Ball winner?

dankok8
11-20-2022, 01:42 AM
My Group Stage Predictions:

A: 1 - Netherlands 2 - Ecuador
B: 1 - England 2 - USA
C: 1 - Argentina 2 - Poland
D: 1 - Denmark 2 - France
E: 1 - Germany 2 - Japan
F: 1 - Croatia 2 - Belgium
G: 1 - Brazil 2 - Serbia
H: 1 - Portugal 2 - Uruguay

France is seriously depleted. No Benzema, no Kante, no Pogba, no Kimpembe. Griezmann in bad form. I see this team struggling but I still see them finishing above Tunisia and Australia. Spain I think will struggle and they are the one big dog I pick to lose in the group stage. Good young midfield but shaky in defense and attack. Japan is actually quite talented and could surprise because they always have good team spirit and work rate. Belgium is also much weaker than last time. Hazard is washed up, Lukaku injured...

BurningHammer
11-21-2022, 10:48 AM
So this is the official WC thread now?

Oh, England is trashing Iran to the ground now. :D

dankok8
11-21-2022, 12:12 PM
Iran isn't supposed to be a bad team. England just dominant!

Netherlands good in defense but mediocre in midfield and attack. No Depay hurts but I still think they win this group. It has to be the worst Dutch team in like 15 or so years though.

Wally450
11-21-2022, 01:12 PM
Southgate has really got tis England team playing well. Could it be coming home?

BurningHammer
11-21-2022, 05:26 PM
usa wins 1-1

TheMan
11-21-2022, 06:08 PM
usa wins 1-1

Don't know about that, they were up 1 nil and ended up in a tied game.

BurningHammer
11-21-2022, 06:14 PM
Don't know about that, they were up 1 nil and ended up in a tied game.

Tim Ream stupidly tackled Gareth Bale in the box. Bale scored the penalty.

Wally450
11-21-2022, 11:27 PM
Tim Ream stupidly tackled Gareth Bale in the box. Bale scored the penalty.

Such a brain dead tackle too. Dude tried to finger wag off the penalty like he didn't do anything.

Oh, well. Rooting for Poland to beat Mexico tomorrow. :rockon:

BurningHammer
11-22-2022, 08:49 AM
Hoo boy. Saudi just beat Messi-led Argentina 2-1. :eek:

ArbitraryWater
11-22-2022, 10:10 AM
Messi doing his usual Argentina flop show thing

ArbitraryWater
11-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Saudi Arabia with some of the riskiest offside play ever :lol

absolutely insane.

It worked. But there's an element of luck to it.

highwhey
11-22-2022, 12:18 PM
No one else representing as hard as Mexico fans rn. We bring the party everywhere we go.

TheMan
11-22-2022, 12:54 PM
No one else representing as hard as Mexico fans rn. We bring the party everywhere we go.

Just can't party too hard in a Muslim country bro, no alcohol and you know some paisas are gonna get into trouble :lol

TheMan
11-22-2022, 01:59 PM
Well, that was a boring match. Mexico lucky to get a point there after Poland failed in the PK.

Mexico ain't doing shit but there is nothing I would love more than MX knocking out Argentina on Saturday...

Make it happen :rockon:

ArbitraryWater
11-22-2022, 02:32 PM
Well, that was a boring match. Mexico lucky to get a point there after Poland failed in the PK.

Mexico ain't doing shit but there is nothing I would love more than MX knocking out Argentina on Saturday...

Make it happen :rockon:

:rockon:

Revenge for 2006 and 2010

BurningHammer
11-22-2022, 03:30 PM
The draw actually benefits Argentina quite a lot. A win should push them through via 2nd place at least.

TheMan
11-22-2022, 05:01 PM
:rockon:

Revenge for 2006 and 2010

Not really that for me, I know a lot of Argies, and let me tell you, they are quite arrogant and vociferous about how good they are at futbol, it gets annoying really fast :lol It would be hilarious if they don't even get out of group play.

TheMan
11-22-2022, 05:13 PM
The draw actually benefits Argentina quite a lot. A win should push them through via 2nd place at least.

True but a loss on Saturday, as unlikely as that is, and they're done. A team like Argentina should never lose to a team like Saudi Arabia, not if they're a serious contender.

dankok8
11-22-2022, 05:15 PM
This Argentina team really isn't that good. Like I said it's the Messi factor. If he wasn't on the roster people would be like "Waa upset!" and forget about it in 10 minutes and of course no one would have had them among the favorites in the first place. That being said Argentina did dominate this game and got very unlucky. xG 2.23 vs. 0.14. Insane.. Saudi finishes were very difficult even for a world class finisher.

As for Messi himself, he was very good in the 1st half in particular. Scored a goal barely ruled offside, assisted a Lautaro goal that allegedly shouldn't have been ruled offside at all and created a few more chances. And of course scored the PK.

ArbitraryWater
11-22-2022, 07:23 PM
This Argentina team really isn't that good. Like I said it's the Messi factor. If he wasn't on the roster people would be like "Waa upset!" and forget about it in 10 minutes and of course no one would have had them among the favorites in the first place. That being said Argentina did dominate this game and got very unlucky. xG 2.23 vs. 0.14. Insane.. Saudi finishes were very difficult even for a world class finisher.

As for Messi himself, he was very good in the 1st half in particular. Scored a goal barely ruled offside, assisted a Lautaro goal that allegedly shouldn't have been ruled offside at all and created a few more chances. And of course scored the PK.

Lol calm down. He scored a pen that was it. Other than that he scored a one on one that was specifically designed to get him into that opportunity cause it was an offside trap.

Avinash
11-22-2022, 11:44 PM
Watch netflix documentary to see how corrupt it is for qatar to host

Avinash
11-22-2022, 11:45 PM
Saudi Arabia probably bought argentine players to sell the game. Corruption is high in this world cup.

dankok8
11-23-2022, 12:39 AM
Lol calm down. He scored a pen that was it. Other than that he scored a one on one that was specifically designed to get him into that opportunity cause it was an offside trap.

Yes he also assisted the Lautaro goal that really didn't look offside. He wasn't dominant but he didn't have a bad game. Not by a long shot..

Anyways Argentina have a chance to right the ship. No excuses.

dankok8
11-23-2022, 12:40 AM
Question for ArbitraryWater: Where do you think Ronnie will go now that his Man U contract is annulled?

ArbitraryWater
11-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Question for ArbitraryWater: Where do you think Ronnie will go now that his Man U contract is annulled?

Thats a wild one. Not how his stint should have ended but makes it really exciting now since he can play CL somewhere else.

Chelsea seems to make the most sense. Dortmund could happen. Liverpool and Bayern would be great but don't want him iirc. Fairy certain he missed the City train and I wouldn't want that anymore either cause it would be overkill with Haaland.

I think if Portugal goes far which they could and Ronnie scores several, it will be a good application for potential suitors.

ArbitraryWater
11-23-2022, 12:07 PM
Germany losing to Japan is mad.

Woeful conversion.

dankok8
11-23-2022, 12:15 PM
Germany playing a lot of scrubs I've never heard of. Left Sane on the bench. Serves them right...

dankok8
11-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Thats a wild one. Not how his stint should have ended but makes it really exciting now since he can play CL somewhere else.

Chelsea seems to make the most sense. Dortmund could happen. Liverpool and Bayern would be great but don't want him iirc. Fairy certain he missed the City train and I wouldn't want that anymore either cause it would be overkill with Haaland.

I think if Portugal goes far which they could and Ronnie scores several, it will be a good application for potential suitors.

Moving to another English team would be a backstab to Man U fans LOL

I'm thinking he goes to Chelsea though or maybe a Serie A side like Roma or Inter or something.

ArbitraryWater
11-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Moving to another English team would be a backstab to Man U fans LOL

I'm thinking he goes to Chelsea though or maybe a Serie A side like Roma or Inter or something.

I think the main reason he wants out is the CL though.

So I can't see Roma or Inter.

It would be a backstab but at this point it's whatever.

Screw the "loyalty" demands.

It's about success after all.

Wally450
11-23-2022, 02:36 PM
True but a loss on Saturday, as unlikely as that is, and they're done. A team like Argentina should never lose to a team like Saudi Arabia, not if they're a serious contender.

Poland is not coming close to doing anything of note to defeat Argentina. Their squad is so stale its tough to watch. Argentina are definitely putting one past Szczesny on Saturday.

dankok8
11-24-2022, 12:22 AM
^Next Argentina game is against Mexico.

Some excellent games on the slate tomorrow. Brazil vs. my boys will be a good match too. If Mitro and Vlaho are healthy we can put in a few goals and make it a game but our defense is shaky. My prediction is 3-2 Brazil win.

EDIT: It looks like Mitrovic may not be fit to start. That hurts.

BurningHammer
11-24-2022, 05:11 PM
https://dubz.co/v/w8vny5

:lebronamazed:

Goal of the tournament?

dankok8
11-24-2022, 05:58 PM
Proud of the boys! They gave a good effort today but Richarlison just too good.

Avinash
11-24-2022, 09:21 PM
Serbia's national team promoting a chauvinistic slogan that is essentially a call for genocide in Kosovo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiXfjfnXEAU8MEk?format=jpg&name=small

Avinash
11-24-2022, 09:37 PM
Predict USA 2 - 0 England

BurningHammer
11-25-2022, 08:03 AM
Iran is beating Wales 2-0. Wales' goalkeeper Hennessey got a red from tackling Iran dude outside of the box in the last 5 minutes of regular time. Iran actually played better than Wales and they got paid off at the extra time.

ArbitraryWater
11-25-2022, 11:28 AM
England is probably gonna win today.

Then USA will have to beat Iran to clinch a R16 ticket.

TheMan
11-25-2022, 03:51 PM
England got outplayed by the US in the first half, who could have seen that coming:rolleyes:

Avinash
11-25-2022, 04:34 PM
England is probably gonna win today.

Then USA will have to beat Iran to clinch a R16 ticket.

It will be easy to beat Iran.

Avinash
11-25-2022, 07:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FicTeXxUoAEgStn?format=jpg&name=small

BurningHammer
11-26-2022, 01:58 PM
France is in with another win against Denmark.

The team is so deep that they don't even need Benzima or Pogba.

Avinash
11-26-2022, 02:39 PM
Can Tim Weah be as good as Mbappe?

Avinash
11-26-2022, 04:25 PM
Argentina dont look convincing

Avinash
11-26-2022, 04:30 PM
1 - 0 Argentina, Mexico out with this score

BurningHammer
11-26-2022, 04:49 PM
Welp, Messi's Last Dance is still alive. :ohwell:

Avinash
11-26-2022, 04:56 PM

Not sure How long. But no one looks convincing

TheMan
11-26-2022, 04:56 PM
This Mexican team is the worst one I can remember, they can't create shots on goal worth a crap.

Avinash
11-26-2022, 04:57 PM
This Mexican team is the worst one I can remember, they can't create shots on goal worth a crap.

WIth this score they are out.

TheMan
11-26-2022, 05:01 PM
WIth this score they are out.

No biggie, they weren't gonna compete for the cup anyways.

Avinash
11-26-2022, 05:12 PM
No biggie, they weren't gonna compete for the cup anyways.

It would be good for North America.

ArbitraryWater
11-26-2022, 05:48 PM

why Last Dance?

Wally450
11-26-2022, 05:58 PM
Poland Argentina going to be a lot more interesting on Wednesday. Loser doesn't want to play France.

(I know Mexico and Saudi Arabia still mathematically have a chance, but I feel like Poland, Argentina advance.

ShawkFactory
11-26-2022, 06:02 PM
why Last Dance?

This will likely be his last World Cup as a top tier player, yea?

ArbitraryWater
11-26-2022, 06:21 PM
This will likely be his last World Cup as a top tier player, yea?

who knows. It definitely won't be his last WC.

Avinash
11-27-2022, 12:04 AM
Mbappe meets Trump Family

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FihOcZ6XoAAgSDP?format=jpg&name=small

dankok8
11-27-2022, 01:56 AM
Poland Argentina going to be a lot more interesting on Wednesday. Loser doesn't want to play France.

(I know Mexico and Saudi Arabia still mathematically have a chance, but I feel like Poland, Argentina advance.

Not sure what you mean... The last matchday is Saudi vs. Mexico and Argentina vs. Poland.

If Saudi wins, they are through for sure and they can even get 1st place if Argentina and Poland draw or if Argentina wins but Saudi hammers Mexico by many goals. If Mexico wins, they can qualify as 2nd but they need Poland either to beat Argentina or for Poland to lose and they have to make a -4 goal difference. In fact even if Argentina and Poland draw, Mexico can make it by hammering Saudi and overtake Argentina on goal difference.

ArbitraryWater
11-27-2022, 08:58 AM
Not sure what you mean... The last matchday is Saudi vs. Mexico and Argentina vs. Poland.

If Saudi wins, they are through for sure and they can even get 1st place if Argentina and Poland draw or if Argentina wins but Saudi hammers Mexico by many goals. If Mexico wins, they can qualify as 2nd but they need Poland either to beat Argentina or for Poland to lose and they have to make a -4 goal difference. In fact even if Argentina and Poland draw, Mexico can make it by hammering Saudi and overtake Argentina on goal difference.

The question is, what are you talking about :oldlol:

Saudi hammering Mexico by many goals? Lol

Neither Saudi or Mexico are gonna hammer anyone.

They will lose when it comes to GD every single time. The 2-0 confirmed that.

Argentina will probably win, in which case Saudi would have to beat Mexico to advance over Poland, which probably won't happen.
And if Poland and Argentina draw, again only a Saudi win would deny Argentina, still unlikely to happen.

BurningHammer
11-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Canada out :(

BurningHammer
11-27-2022, 02:13 PM
Meanwhile, Belgium also lost to Morocco :oldlol::applause::rockon:

dankok8
11-27-2022, 06:38 PM
The question is, what are you talking about :oldlol:

Saudi hammering Mexico by many goals? Lol

Neither Saudi or Mexico are gonna hammer anyone.

They will lose when it comes to GD every single time. The 2-0 confirmed that.

Argentina will probably win, in which case Saudi would have to beat Mexico to advance over Poland, which probably won't happen.
And if Poland and Argentina draw, again only a Saudi win would deny Argentina, still unlikely to happen.

I'm considering all outcomes. But Saudi beating Mexico isn't unlikely to me. Nor would Poland beating Argentina.

ArbitraryWater
11-28-2022, 11:03 AM
Japan with absolute powerplay last 20 minutes but cant get the equalizer.

Missing that one pass in the back of the box.

Son always twice taking the ball on when he should have just shot it.

dankok8
11-28-2022, 12:03 PM
^ You mean Korea?

I was really rooting for them to win. I have some Korean friends and even my boss is Korean LOL

PistonsFan#21
11-28-2022, 12:16 PM
who knows. It definitely won't be his last WC.

He is 35 years old and will be near 40 by the time we get to the next world cup. Is it common for soccer players to play until that age?

TheMan
11-28-2022, 12:36 PM
He is 35 years old and will be near 40 by the time we get to the next world cup. Is it common for soccer players to play until that age?

No it's not but it has happened. Loathar Matthaus played a WC at 37, he was still a productive player, Cameroon's Roger Milla scored a world cup goal at 38, then 4 years later when he was 42. Messi realistically can play at least one more, only question will be how good can he still be at that age (we also have to consider if he even wants to be playing at that age.. )

dankok8
11-28-2022, 02:40 PM
Messi doesn't strike me as the sort of dude who will keep playing after he declines a lot. At least not in the major leagues or for the Argentina NT.

ArbitraryWater
11-28-2022, 06:34 PM
^ You mean Korea?

I was really rooting for them to win. I have some Korean friends and even my boss is Korean LOL

Korea yes

ArbitraryWater
11-28-2022, 06:35 PM

It is now.

Look around you. Brady, LeBron, Boll (41 year old table tennis player, still top 10), Ronaldo, Messi...

Messi won't be so declined to not represent Argentina in 4 years anymore.

dankok8
11-29-2022, 11:19 AM
USA vs. Iran should be intense AF. Could get very ugly due to the political side of things.

ArbitraryWater
11-29-2022, 11:50 AM
Netherlands aren't very good, but unless Argentina win their group, they have a piss easy road to the SF.

ArbitraryWater
11-30-2022, 06:31 PM
Argentina with a piss easy road to the SF

TheMan
12-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Argentina with a piss easy road to the SF

Seething

dankok8
12-01-2022, 11:21 AM
If Japan beats Spain today, Germany is out. Tied on points with Spain if they beat Costa Rica but would have to overcome a current +7 to -1 gap in goal differential.

Wally450
12-01-2022, 11:40 AM
If Japan beats Spain today, Germany is out. Tied on points with Spain if they beat Costa Rica but would have to overcome a current +7 to -1 gap in goal differential.

Wouldn't it be something if another Asian country knocked out Germany on the final day.

TheMan
12-01-2022, 12:09 PM

Japan isn't beating Spain.

I'm on Team Spain now that Mexico is out, my grandparents are from España so I have blood ties to jump on that bandwagon :lol

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Morrocco wins the group, Belgium is out! :lebronamazed:

Canada out with 0 point. :( :ohwell:

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2022, 01:39 PM
If Germany dont end second, that slot will have a very surprising QF'ist.

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 04:16 PM
Japan is beating Spain!! :lebronamazed:

TheMan
12-01-2022, 04:26 PM
Japan is beating Spain!! :lebronamazed:

I jinxed them :lol

Seriously though, the gap between the elite teams and the rest of the world is getting smaller, having said that, I believe this year's WC champ will be one of the usual favorites but overall it's good for the game that more teams are becoming competitive.

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 04:30 PM
HOLY SHIT, COSTA RICA IS BEATING GERMANY TOO!! :lebronamazed: :lebronamazed:

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 04:43 PM
Germany finds their way back, got 2 goals and are now leading! :eek:

Wally450
12-01-2022, 04:59 PM
Spain with tht +6 GD and still finishes 2nd lol.

Lol at Germany also.

There was a 3 minute stretch where Japan and Costa Rica were going through.

1987_Lakers
12-01-2022, 05:03 PM
2nd world cup in a row Germany doesn't get to knockout stages after winning it all in 2014.

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 05:10 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/76VZNM25/1669928793357430.jpg

The goal in question that leads to Japan winning the group.

Does the ball cross the line? Is it a valid goal?

TheMan
12-01-2022, 05:14 PM
2nd world cup in a row Germany doesn't get to knockout stages after winning it all in 2014.

The Mexican National team is getting put through the ringer because they couldn't get out of group play...imagine the German press with their team rn :eek: Of course like you said, they won it all in 2014 but Germany is one of those teams that you expect should be fighting the semis every WC.

TheMan
12-01-2022, 05:16 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/76VZNM25/1669928793357430.jpg

The goal in question that leads to Japan winning the group.

Does the ball cross the line? Is it a valid goal?

Jesus, that's as close as it can get...

dankok8
12-01-2022, 05:16 PM
^ Wow I was watching the other game. That ball looks over the line.

As shitty as the Germans were especially on defense in all three matches, I still feel they should have progressed.

EDIT: I called Japan over Spain though.

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2022, 05:33 PM
Lmao WTF.

I thought the games started 2 hours later.

Thanks google/flashscore.

Germany should have beaten Spain.

Spain have failed to impress the last 2 games.

BurningHammer
12-01-2022, 05:54 PM
Japan isn't beating Spain.

I'm on Team Spain now that Mexico is out, my grandparents are from España so I have blood ties to jump on that bandwagon :lol

Hoo boy.

Luckily though, your team Spain got in. :D

dankok8
12-01-2022, 06:01 PM
I think Spain could easily lose to Morocco in the R16.

LeCola
12-01-2022, 08:47 PM
Spain with tht +6 GD and still finishes 2nd lol.

Lol at Germany also.

There was a 3 minute stretch where Japan and Costa Rica were going through.

Lmao WTF.

I thought the games started 2 hours later.

Thanks google/flashscore.

Germany should have beaten Spain.

Spain have failed to impress the last 2 games.

Germany's mistake was scoring 2nd goal too early.

If they used their brains and increase that 3 minute span a bit longer they could be 2nd.

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2022, 09:09 PM
Germany's mistake was scoring 2nd goal too early.

If they used their brains and increase that 3 minute span a bit longer they could be 2nd.

Lol please.

You cant refuse to score a goal just in hope in the other game a goal appears with 20 minutes left, and once that goal happens you can just score yours, TWO of them.

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Wally450
12-01-2022, 11:31 PM
I think Spain could easily lose to Morocco in the R16.

Spain beats Morocco

Croatia beats Japan

No one believed in Croatia in the round of 16 last WC.

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2022, 11:58 PM
Spain beats Morocco

Croatia beats Japan

Croatia was average last WC and they're average now.

Japan will probably win.

BurningHammer
12-02-2022, 04:15 AM
Croatia was average last WC and they're average now.

Japan will probably win.

I wouldn't say Japan will, but rather Japan can. I could easily end up with the shootouts.

LeCola
12-02-2022, 07:08 AM
Lol please.

You cant refuse to score a goal just in hope in the other game a goal appears with 20 minutes left, and once that goal happens you can just score yours, TWO of them.

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yeah, aiming to score 8 goals in 20 minutes is smarter. :oldlol: :oldlol::oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
12-02-2022, 10:52 AM
Yeah, aiming to score 8 goals in 20 minutes is smarter. :oldlol: :oldlol::oldlol:

That wasnt the aim though.

If you think it is more likely with 20 minutes left, to wait for an opponent to score, get hold of it and have everyone on board, and then with at best 10 minutes left score TWICE against a team also in the running and not out yet, rather than simply scoring right away and hope for the best in the other game, you're extremely retarded. First and foremost, you make things happen on your end.

If they had waited, Spain had scored, and Germany ends up getting just 1 of the 2 goals, everyone would have flamed them.

As I said, probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I remember your avy from some other discussion. No idea what it was but I got extreme retard vibes once I saw it.

SaltyMeatballs
12-02-2022, 02:55 PM
So far this World Cup has been so exciting and full of surprises

I wanted to see Portugal win for Ronaldo but I'm happy for South Korea

BurningHammer
12-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Who would think both Japan and Korea would be through. :kobe:

LeCola
12-02-2022, 05:11 PM
That wasnt the aim though.

If you think it is more likely with 20 minutes left, to wait for an opponent to score, get hold of it and have everyone on board, and then with at best 10 minutes left score TWICE against a team also in the running and not out yet, rather than simply scoring right away and hope for the best in the other game, you're extremely retarded. First and foremost, you make things happen on your end.

If they had waited, Spain had scored, and Germany ends up getting just 1 of the 2 goals, everyone would have flamed them.

As I said, probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I remember your avy from some other discussion. No idea what it was but I got extreme retard vibes once I saw it.

Waiting Spain is not only retarded idea, it also proves that you didn't even watch any of those games and don't know anything about the tree.

Not only waiting Spain 20 minutes to score, even if you wait 20000 minutes it won't change anything.

Because Spain was tanking. They were not even trying to score. They just aimed to be second in their group.

Now, they finished second, so they will play against Morrocco in the top 16 and Portugal in the quarter-final.

However, if they finished first, they would play against Croatia (The last WC runner-up) in the top 16 and Brazil (the strongest team in the WC) in the quarter final.

You have no knowledge, also no respect but you have ideas as always.

You are just a typical 70 IQ ignorant Nazi kid.

https://media.tenor.com/D1lHRi_kUvYAAAAd/agk-angry-german-kid.gif

dankok8
12-02-2022, 05:54 PM
I can't help but feel a bit annoyed by the top teams resting their core players on matchday 3. Not in a conspiracy sort of way but doesn't seem fair.

I mean shi... even if we beat the Swiss we still would have lost out on 2nd place to Cameroon because Brazil just didn't care to play a lot of their best players. That doesn't seem fair. Just because another team plays Brazil last they get such a massive advantage. Also feel bad for Uruguay too. If Portugal didn't rest most of their core sans Ronaldo, I don't think Korea wins and Uruguay goes through.

BurningHammer
12-02-2022, 07:39 PM
Reactions from Suarez, Team Uruguay and its fans right after Korea scored the winning goal is unreal, man.

BurningHammer
12-02-2022, 07:56 PM
https://i.redd.it/0ms8pmv9wi3a1.jpg

:roll:

ArbitraryWater
12-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Reactions from Suarez, Team Uruguay and its fans right after Korea scored the winning goal is unreal, man.

**** em, tbh.

Suarez has cheated a lot in his life. Bitten people.

They basically cheated Ghana in 2010 when he held that ball on the line.

And **** em for beating Portugal last WC.

But they did get quite unlucky.

Only reason they did not advance is because Portugal played their B squad.

Chuckbe
12-02-2022, 11:23 PM
https://i.redd.it/0ms8pmv9wi3a1.jpg

:roll:

Astaghfirullah

BurningHammer
12-04-2022, 04:02 PM
**** em, tbh.

Suarez has cheated a lot in his life. Bitten people.
Yes, he absolutely is hate-able, but....

They basically cheated Ghana in 2010 when he held that ball on the line.
This is one of the greatest gamble in pro sports. Saurez did get a red and all Ghana had to do is netting that pk, which they didn't.

And **** em for beating Portugal last WC.

But they did get quite unlucky.

Only reason they did not advance is because Portugal played their B squad.

Getting another stronger team out of the tournament seems like a good plan if a team can. I don't say Portugal intentionally threw the match, but still.

ArbitraryWater
12-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Yes, he absolutely is hate-able, but....

This is one of the greatest gamble in pro sports. Saurez did get a red and all Ghana had to do is netting that pk, which they didn't.

I don't really care. Its not a fair play.

If you hold a ball on the goal line and there was no other physical way the ball would not cross the line, you basically conceed it. Its not a play that logically should exist.

The penalty is a huge bail-out.

That play is so detestable, it should basically be 3 penalties. Just to be sure.

Chuckbe
12-04-2022, 10:07 PM
Ramenez la coupe à la maison

ArbitraryWater
12-05-2022, 11:58 AM
Croatia really just sucks. As expected.

ArbitraryWater
12-05-2022, 12:01 PM
Spain beats Morocco

Croatia beats Japan

What are you talking about?

Croatia played Denmark in R16. Everyone believed in them. They were the large favorites. And they needed penalties, it was embarrassing.

dankok8
12-05-2022, 12:28 PM
Neither Croatia nor Japan is beating Brazil IMO so doesn't really matter!

Wally450
12-05-2022, 01:24 PM
Need Croatia to go through. Favors Croatia if it does go to penalties.

bullettooth
12-05-2022, 01:51 PM
Need Croatia to go through. Favors Croatia if it does go to penalties.

Japan was the better team. Croatia just got lucky. Sucks cuz Yugo fans are the even more insufferable than Lakers fans.

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 11:51 AM
Lets go Marocco

TheMan
12-06-2022, 12:55 PM
Lord have mercy, how is Spain having this much trouble vs Morocco?

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Unreal 1 on 1 chance for #21 of Marocco.

He has looked poor in 2 big chances.

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Lord have mercy, how is Spain having this much trouble vs Morocco?

They have like 75% possession, but Marocco fighting their asses off.

And have the bigger chances.

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Bono, man.

TheMan
12-06-2022, 01:50 PM
They have like 75% possession, but Marocco fighting their asses off.

And have the bigger chances.

Yep, but they aren't getting any further than this. You can just tell when they went to PKs that the Spaniards wanted no part of that, SMH

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 01:51 PM
Yep, but they aren't getting any further than this. You can just tell when they went to PKs that the Spaniards wanted no part of that, SMH

Yeah, if Portugal wins they're in the semis.

TheMan
12-06-2022, 01:53 PM
Spain vs Portugal would've been epic, sigh...

To all my Spanish relatives, vaya con Dios :lol

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 03:03 PM
They benched Ronaldo.

Absolute madness.

BurningHammer
12-06-2022, 04:15 PM
They benched Ronaldo.

Absolute madness.

Well, 4-0 so far. Who needs Ronaldo?

ArbitraryWater
12-06-2022, 04:22 PM
Well, 4-0 so far. Who needs Ronaldo?

easy to say now.

Jud
12-06-2022, 05:04 PM
How Portugal bench Ronaldo and still won 6-1 wtf

dankok8
12-07-2022, 12:01 AM
I called a Brazil v Portugal final before the whole thing started and looking on track for that. Both teams have a practical bye into the semis.

Chuckbe
12-07-2022, 03:13 AM
They benched Ronaldo.

Absolute madness.

https://i.ibb.co/hcPBb3m/Fj-VWLNu-WAAIGUIt-format-jpg-name-large.jpg

:cry:

TheMan
12-07-2022, 09:07 AM
Why was he benched?

ArbitraryWater
12-07-2022, 09:57 AM
Why was he benched?

He got subbed out in the last group stage game and the coach said he did not like Ronaldo's reaction to being subbed.

Emotional manchild then benched him for this game.

And his replacement scored a hattrick, so he might actually continue on the bench.

Madness.

Wally450
12-07-2022, 01:39 PM
Would be funny if Portugal made the final with Ronaldo on the bench.

Shades of the 2016 Euro Final, except Ronaldo would just sit on the bench instead of up coaching.

ArbitraryWater
12-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Would be funny if Portugal made the final with Ronaldo on the bench.

Shades of the 2016 Euro Final, except Ronaldo would just sit on the bench instead of up coaching.

Any fan of the game would want Ronaldo to have a proper send-off, and not have this be the last memories of his NT career.

Would shame the sport.

Lebron23
12-07-2022, 04:17 PM
They need to give Ronaldo a proper send off

TheMan
12-08-2022, 03:57 PM
He got subbed out in the last group stage game and the coach said he did not like Ronaldo's reaction to being subbed.

Emotional manchild then benched him for this game.

And his replacement scored a hattrick, so he might actually continue on the bench.

Madness.

So in other words, Ronaldo is acting like a toxic team cáncer diva? :lol

They did look more potent without him, you're probably right, he might not start going forward.

ArbitraryWater
12-08-2022, 04:36 PM
So in other words, Ronaldo is acting like a toxic team cáncer diva? :lol

They did look more potent without him, you're probably right, he might not start going forward.

Nah he was just unhappy with being subbed. Happens all the time.

dankok8
12-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Croatia so far holding on well against Brazil. The longer Brazil don't score, the more Croatian self-belief grows.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Once Brazil scores, the gates will open up though.

dankok8
12-09-2022, 11:58 AM
Once Brazil scores, the gates will open up though.

Agree but if Croatia scores first...

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Agree but if Croatia scores first...

Yeah.

This could be a nailbiter.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 01:38 PM
I can't believe how Croatia is lucking through these WC's

This is insanity

Brazil HAS to win.

For the sake of the WC.

TheMan
12-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Damn, just don't get into PKs with Croatia :lol

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 01:50 PM
This is the biggest team of annoying cockroaches ever

Brazil was set up poorly and received a counter goal. Should not have happened.

Argentina freebie road to a WC Final.

TheMan
12-09-2022, 01:51 PM
I can't believe how Croatia is lucking through these WC's

This is insanity

Brazil HAS to win.

For the sake of the WC.
Maybe Croatia aren't as bad as you think? They got to the Final last WC, they're in the semis again, that ain't luck, my friend.

TheMan
12-09-2022, 01:52 PM

I wouldn't go that far, I'm rooting for Argentina as a Latin American but I wouldn't be shocked if Croatia gets past them.

Brazil vs Argentina (if they get there) would have been nuts.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 01:55 PM

im so glad they lost, dancing like btches, diving like btches this team doesnt deserve any respect

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Maybe Croatia aren't as bad as you think? They got to the Final last WC, they're in the semis again, that ain't luck, my friend.

Of course its luck.

Look at this:

https://i.gyazo.com/a09d4926b755694f9df661ebaf03a655.png

they cant even beat Denmark or Russia lol.

They're absurdly mediocre.

That England team was bad and they needed extra time.

Today they faced their 2nd great opponent and they needed a deflection to get into penalties.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 01:57 PM
im so glad they lost, dancing like btches, diving like btches this team doesnt deserve any respect

They're getting fouled all the time. The dancing is a little extra but its kind of in their culture in general.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 02:02 PM
They're getting fouled all the time. The dancing is a little extra but its kind of in their culture in general.

look im all good for fair play but this team its just disgusting i counted like 5 dives atleast this one my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/neiuSkdoxPU
or how about that neymar sucker punch?

Wally450
12-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Bye bye Brazil.

Also, as I type this, Argentina scores. Let’s go!!

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 03:36 PM
Actually gonna have a Portugal-Argentina Final Lmao.

1987_Lakers
12-09-2022, 03:56 PM
Damn, Brazil dominated that game too. Croatia has to be the luckiest team ever.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Damn, Brazil dominated that game too. Croatia has to be the luckiest team ever.

I'm so annoyed by them. Cockroaches ruining the WC.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 04:40 PM
I'm so annoyed by them. Cockroaches ruining the WC.

why you so mad? discipline teams overcome talent in WC, u act like Croatia is kinda bum team, they finished 2nd 4 years ago..
and i will take 37yr Modric over anyone in Brazil for one go
or that right defender who played today

AlternativeAcc.
12-09-2022, 04:41 PM
Messi is a beast.

Would a WC win make him GOAT?

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 04:42 PM
why you so mad? discipline teams overcome talent in WC, u act like Croatia is kinda bum team, they finished 2nd 4 years ago..

They were bums then too.

Catch up.

This was a result out of mere coincedence.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Messi is a beast.

Would a WC win make him GOAT?

If he can start scoring more goals in the KO stages that aren't weak pens, maybe.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 04:51 PM
They were bums then too.

Catch up.

This was a result out of mere coincedence.
so team who didint lost single game in qualification u calling bum? and the team almost the the same who won all overtimes u calling bum? right?

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 05:04 PM
what a goal

Wally450
12-09-2022, 05:06 PM
Unbelievable. What a ballsy way to execute that set piece.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 05:45 PM
2nd shootout

TheMan
12-09-2022, 05:46 PM
Damn, I'm not liking Argentina's chances with that enormous goon the Dutch have as goalkeeper

TheMan
12-09-2022, 05:51 PM
Martinez is a beast, holy shit

TheMan
12-09-2022, 05:58 PM
There ya go :applause:

AlternativeAcc.
12-09-2022, 05:59 PM
Damn, I'm not liking Argentina's chances with that enormous goon the Dutch have as goalkeeper

Awful take

1987_Lakers
12-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Not into soccer, but who is that dude who missed the 1st penalty kick from the Netherlands? Dude was like a foot taller than Messi, lol.

zeerghit
12-09-2022, 06:08 PM
Not into soccer, but who is that dude who missed the 1st penalty kick from the Netherlands? Dude was like a foot taller than Messi, lol.
Van Dijk best CB(central defender) in the world

dankok8
12-09-2022, 06:22 PM
Van Dijk shoved Paredes to the ground and didn't even get a card for that. Ref felt bad that he gave Argentina a PK so he let Netherlands get away with unsportsman-like conduct near the end of regulation. Oh well that match required some real cojones to bounce back mentally after losing a 2-0 lead. Emi Martinez isn't a perfect GK maybe not even a very good one but the man has confidence and is a great trash talker. He is the emotional leader of the team at some critical junctures.

Croatia also an insanely mentally tough team. Literally beat Brazil on grit. I thought they played a fantastic game and Brazil gave way too much space to their midfield particularly Modric and Kovacic. You give Modric that kind of space and he'll burn you. People say Croatia's goal was a deflection but if Neymar didn't pull off the insane, that game is 0-0 anyways. Croatia is very organized and a very cohesive team. And I say all this as a Serb. We don't like Croats lol

Chuckbe
12-09-2022, 06:31 PM

https://i.ibb.co/3h9GYqZ/aef1kiyyhz4a1.jpg

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2022, 06:46 PM
Van Dijk shoved Paredes to the ground and didn't even get a card for that. Ref felt bad that he gave Argentina a PK so he let Netherlands get away with unsportsman-like conduct near the end of regulation. Oh well that match required some real cojones to bounce back mentally after losing a 2-0 lead. Emi Martinez isn't a perfect GK maybe not even a very good one but the man has confidence and is a great trash talker. He is the emotional leader of the team at some critical junctures.

Croatia also an insanely mentally tough team. Literally beat Brazil on grit. I thought they played a fantastic game and Brazil gave way too much space to their midfield particularly Modric and Kovacic. You give Modric that kind of space and he'll burn you. People say Croatia's goal was a deflection but if Neymar didn't pull off the insane, that game is 0-0 anyways. Croatia is very organized and a very cohesive team. And I say all this as a Serb. We don't like Croats lol

Lol Neymar pulls that stuff routinely, it‘s well within his capabilities.

Smook A.
12-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Portugal vs Morocco and France vs England should be really interesting

BurningHammer
12-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Hoo boy. Ronaldo is benched again.

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 11:04 AM
What an absolute asshole do you have to be to ruin football history and sour Ronaldo's career end when he finally for the first time has a good Portugese squad.

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 11:49 AM
This idiot probably can't get over his ego and will let Ronaldo rot while they piss away the World Cup

Smook A.
12-10-2022, 01:02 PM
Feel bad for Ronaldo. It was stupid to have him benched for the first half of the game

Good for Morocco though. They've been amazing all throughout

1987_Lakers
12-10-2022, 01:04 PM
RIP Ronaldo's career.

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Feel bad for Ronaldo. It was stupid to have him benched for the first half of the game

Good for Morocco though. They've been amazing all throughout

They have to fire the coach asap.

Let his ego get in the way of success.

dankok8
12-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Lol Neymar pulls that stuff routinely, it‘s well within his capabilities.

What's routine for Neymar isn't routine in general. It's easily one of the best goals of the tournament that will be forgotten.

By the way I'm surprised no one mentioned this but Ronaldo seems slower to get on the ball. Like he can't even connect with passes either aerially or on the ground. He's like a tenth of a second too late. Perhaps he also has some physical issues or an injury or maybe just age caught up to him.

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 02:56 PM
What's routine for Neymar isn't routine in general. It's easily one of the best goals of the tournament that will be forgotten.

By the way I'm surprised no one mentioned this but Ronaldo seems slower to get on the ball. Like he can't even connect with passes either aerially or on the ground. He's like a tenth of a second too late. Perhaps he also has some physical issues or an injury or maybe just age caught up to him.

He's not playing, that's it.

He's fine.

But you can't expect him to stand out on 40 mins of PT thrown into this situation.

He was still the 2nd PL top goalscorer last season.

TheMan
12-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Wait, what, Portugal lost??? Winner of England/France will be in the WC Final :facepalm

AlternativeAcc.
12-10-2022, 04:25 PM
Wait, what, Portugal lost??? Winner of England/France will be in the WC Final :facepalm

Morocco has given up 1 goal the entire tourney.

Stop hating!

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 04:26 PM

coach put Ronaldo in after 50 mins when he noticed he was shit deep in trouble.

Dumbass Santos

TheMan
12-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Morocco has given up 1 goal the entire tourney.

Stop hating!

They got everyone including the bus driver defending. Both Spain and Portugal out shot them, they will eventually get beat, by England/France.

Morroco, all kidding aside, is the worst football side to get to the semis that I can remember

TheMan
12-10-2022, 04:36 PM
coach put Ronaldo in after 50 mins when he noticed he was shit deep in trouble.

Dumbass Santos

He's gonna get killed in Portugal for keeping their best striker out for half the game.

zeerghit
12-10-2022, 04:39 PM
this game is smth else

TheMan
12-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Yo that's a penalty, you can't knock down a striker in the penalty box without even trying to play the ball.

Yes, come on England!

AlternativeAcc.
12-10-2022, 04:46 PM
Yo that's a penalty, you can't knock down a striker in the penalty box without even trying to play the ball.

Yes, come on England!

Kane chokes.

France!!!!

zeerghit
12-10-2022, 04:46 PM

Yes, come on England!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ljvb80HBc&ab_channel=HaberVer
smth similar

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 04:47 PM
Difficult shooting 2 straight pens against your own club keeper.

Shoulda been someone else.

TheMan
12-10-2022, 04:50 PM
Difficult shooting 2 straight pens against your own club keeper.

Shoulda been someone else.

I was thinking that...but if Kane is your regular PK taker, he's gotta take it. He just shot it horribly...

To be honest, this French side isn't as impressive as 4 years ago, they'll get past Morroco but if Argentina beats Croatia, I really like Argentina's chances vs this French team.

zeerghit
12-10-2022, 05:04 PM
great game

dankok8
12-10-2022, 05:44 PM
He's not playing, that's it.

He's fine.

But you can't expect him to stand out on 40 mins of PT thrown into this situation.

He was still the 2nd PL top goalscorer last season.

That's last season. This season the matches I've watched him in he appears to have declined.

And the stats don't lie either. He's played in 23 matches this season (sub often but still 17 matches of playing time) and has 4 goals of which 2 are penalties.

ArbitraryWater
12-10-2022, 05:48 PM
That's last season. This season the matches I've watched him in he appears to have declined.

And the stats don't lie either. He's played in 23 matches this season (sub often but still 17 matches of playing time) and has 4 goals of which 2 are penalties.

When you don't start a match, you're not in proper rhythm.

But anyway, he tanked at United so you can take that with a grain of salt. He wanted out.

ShawkFactory
12-10-2022, 06:10 PM
France/England is definitely the match of the tournament. You have to think that France will get past Morocco.

I'm inclined to say same the same about Argentina but Croatia is crazy resilient. Modric might be my favorite player to watch too. Feels like every touch/pass/cut/run is exactly correct given whatever situation he's in.

Chuckbe
12-10-2022, 09:53 PM
When you don't start a match, you're not in proper rhythm.

But anyway, he tanked at United so you can take that with a grain of salt. He wanted out.

Thoughts on him having a big fat 0 goals in the KO stages?

Chick Stern
12-10-2022, 10:01 PM
France/England is definitely the match of the tournament. You have to think that France will get past Morocco.

I'm inclined to say same the same about Argentina but Croatia is crazy resilient. Modric might be my favorite player to watch too. Feels like every touch/pass/cut/run is exactly correct given whatever situation he's in.
I’m for Croatia. That goalie is fantastic.

1987_Lakers
12-11-2022, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFJbrf0g8IQ

ArbitraryWater
12-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Thoughts on him having a big fat 0 goals in the KO stages?

he's played 2 full KO games since 2006 you dumbass.

1987_Lakers
12-11-2022, 12:23 PM
Will Messi settle the GOAT debate if he wins a world cup?

I don't follow soccer that much, but seems like majority of people believe Messi is already the GOAT even without a world cup. His longevity blows players like Pele & Maradona away.

ArbitraryWater
12-11-2022, 01:58 PM
Will Messi settle the GOAT debate if he wins a world cup?

I don't follow soccer that much, but seems like majority of people believe Messi is already the GOAT even without a world cup. His longevity blows players like Pele & Maradona away.

Ronaldo will always be the GOAT to people who can critically think.

But now France is the only one that can save us from that becoming the unjustified consensus.

Also, Argentina's players are rude as ****.

Can't root for them at all.

I'd actually prefer Croatia winning lmao.

B2b France-Croatia finals lol.

TheMan
12-11-2022, 04:21 PM
Ronaldo will always be the GOAT to people who can critically think.

But now France is the only one that can save us from that becoming the unjustified consensus.

Also, Argentina's players are rude as ****.

Can't root for them at all.

I'd actually prefer Croatia winning lmao.

B2b France-Croatia finals lol.
Are you referring to Argentina making fun of the Dutch after the PKs? I've read reports where they say Dutch players where talking shit all game, that Van Gaal said Messi doesn't play unless the ball in his control and that Argentina was Messi and 10 nobodies. If that's true, you can't blame them for getting in their faces after besting them :confusedshrug:

Aguante Argentina, dale dale vamos! :rockon:

dankok8
12-11-2022, 04:23 PM
he's played 2 full KO games since 2006 you dumbass.

Excuses... He also has zero assists in the knockouts. His Portugal team scored 12 goals at this WC and he contributed 1 PK goal and no other goals or assists. Barely any chances created either. He just had a shit WC no getting around that.

Comparing between eras is tough in football. The circumstances are just way too different. Different leagues, different rules, different team situations... For example Maradona's club career doesn't touch Messi but he played for Napoli, a team that realistically had no shot of winning the European Cup (equivalent to CL now). But he led a decent not super strong Argentian team to the WC in 1986 behind a GOAT-level performance. In that respect he's still above Messi.

Pele has great longevity comparable to Messi and won 3 World Cups (although he missed most of one) but his teams were dominant. He also has a good club resume and played forward like Messi unlike Maradona who was more of an attacking midfielder and thus rarely in position to score a lot of goals. Pele also has amazing stats even better than Messi although most of the insane goal returns are from Paulista the local Brazilian competition not even the Brazilian Serie A so I don't know if that's the same level of competition.

Considering Messi is a frontrunner for Golden Ball along with Mbappe right now, if he were to win the WC, it would be hard to say he isn't the GOAT. And I think he's the consensus GOAT anyways win or lose. He's now had two really good World Cups. Not Maradona 86 level but very good. And he led his team to the Copa America title so his international career is not holding him back relative to Pele/Maradona as much as it did before the summer of 2021.

ArbitraryWater
12-11-2022, 07:26 PM
Excuses... He also has zero assists in the knockouts. His Portugal team scored 12 goals at this WC and he contributed 1 PK goal and no other goals or assists. Barely any chances created either. He just had a shit WC no getting around that.

Comparing between eras is tough in football. The circumstances are just way too different. Different leagues, different rules, different team situations... For example Maradona's club career doesn't touch Messi but he played for Napoli, a team that realistically had no shot of winning the European Cup (equivalent to CL now). But he led a decent not super strong Argentian team to the WC in 1986 behind a GOAT-level performance. In that respect he's still above Messi.

Pele has great longevity comparable to Messi and won 3 World Cups (although he missed most of one) but his teams were dominant. He also has a good club resume and played forward like Messi unlike Maradona who was more of an attacking midfielder and thus rarely in position to score a lot of goals. Pele also has amazing stats even better than Messi although most of the insane goal returns are from Paulista the local Brazilian competition not even the Brazilian Serie A so I don't know if that's the same level of competition.

Considering Messi is a frontrunner for Golden Ball along with Mbappe right now, if he were to win the WC, it would be hard to say he isn't the GOAT. And I think he's the consensus GOAT anyways win or lose. He's now had two really good World Cups. Not Maradona 86 level but very good. And he led his team to the Copa America title so his international career is not holding him back relative to Pele/Maradona as much as it did before the summer of 2021.

How are those "excuses" ?

Dude he's played Spain in 2010 who did not conceed a single goal in the KO stages, he barely had the ball to work with. And then Uruguay in 2018. That's it. And came on in the 51st last night.

You know I quite equally like Nadal and Ronaldo, but I absolutely see Djokovic's GOAT claim.

He probably will be the GOAT.

Nothing to hide from. No problem admitting it.

But Messi absolutely cannot be the GOAT.

He simply does not have the big match / CL track record Ronaldo has.

And year-for-year he's been worse.

I know you like to go on about it, but that Copa America was not real lol. It was like the 3rd edition in 6 years, and 10 teams competed, and Brazil send their B team out there.

And Messi still didn't do shit in the KO stages.

He needed all that luck to finally play freely in a big tournament for Argentina.

dankok8
12-12-2022, 12:33 AM
How are those "excuses" ?

Dude he's played Spain in 2010 who did not conceed a single goal in the KO stages, he barely had the ball to work with. And then Uruguay in 2018. That's it. And came on in the 51st last night.

You know I quite equally like Nadal and Ronaldo, but I absolutely see Djokovic's GOAT claim.

He probably will be the GOAT.

Nothing to hide from. No problem admitting it.

But Messi absolutely cannot be the GOAT.

He simply does not have the big match / CL track record Ronaldo has.

And year-for-year he's been worse.

I know you like to go on about it, but that Copa America was not real lol. It was like the 3rd edition in 6 years, and 10 teams competed, and Brazil send their B team out there.

And Messi still didn't do shit in the KO stages.

He needed all that luck to finally play freely in a big tournament for Argentina.

You keep repeating that Brazil B team shit. It's stupid. Brazil had all their best players in the Copa. Messi led everyone in goals, assists and all other metrics. Argentina went through every good team on their way to win that cup.

Messi has a WAY BETTER record in knockout stages of international tournaments compared to Ronaldo. And he's obviously a way better all-around player. Messi and Ronaldo in just goalscoring is a debate. Add dribbling and passing and it's not close. That's why most people have Messi > Ronaldo.

ArbitraryWater
12-12-2022, 09:22 AM
You keep repeating that Brazil B team shit. It's stupid. Brazil had all their best players in the Copa. Messi led everyone in goals, assists and all other metrics. Argentina went through every good team on their way to win that cup.

Messi has a WAY BETTER record in knockout stages of international tournaments compared to Ronaldo. And he's obviously a way better all-around player. Messi and Ronaldo in just goalscoring is a debate. Add dribbling and passing and it's not close. That's why most people have Messi > Ronaldo.

We went through this before. Brazil played 5 of their A team. They did not care at all. Plus, when you throw around Copa America's every 2nd year so Messi finally wins one, they don't really have any more meaning, do they?

They played 4 Copa America's in 6 years....

how is that even supposed to be taken seriously?

This is an event that is played every 4 years.

Since 2015, Ronaldo played 2 EURO's.

Messi played 4 COPA's since then :oldlol::oldlol:

And to top it off, the last one had 10 teams, and 4 out of 5 advanced to the quarters :lol

Not even in CA's does Messi have a better scoring record than Ronaldo at EURO's.

The conversation ends completely when we go to the most meaningful competition: Champions League.

Messi stays scoreless and assist-less in the QF/SF every other year. Ronaldo is on a whole different playing field when it comes to reliability and delivering.

Having Messi as GOAT would give me headaches similar to declaring Wilt as GOAT.

dankok8
12-12-2022, 11:55 AM
We went through this before. Brazil played 5 of their A team. They did not care at all. Plus, when you throw around Copa America's every 2nd year so Messi finally wins one, they don't really have any more meaning, do they?

They played 4 Copa America's in 6 years....

how is that even supposed to be taken seriously?

This is an event that is played every 4 years.

Since 2015, Ronaldo played 2 EURO's.

Messi played 4 COPA's since then :oldlol::oldlol:

And to top it off, the last one had 10 teams, and 4 out of 5 advanced to the quarters :lol

Not even in CA's does Messi have a better scoring record than Ronaldo at EURO's.

The conversation ends completely when we go to the most meaningful competition: Champions League.

Messi stays scoreless and assist-less in the QF/SF every other year. Ronaldo is on a whole different playing field when it comes to reliability and delivering.

Having Messi as GOAT would give me headaches similar to declaring Wilt as GOAT.

We went through it but your reasoning isn't logical. Brazil definitely played their A team in the Copa final. Neymar, Richarlison, Casemiro, Vinicious, Marquinhos, Silva, Firmino, Danilo, Paqueta...

Sure they played an extra Copa... Ronaldo played in 5 Euros and Messi in 6 Copas. If that's a big deal ok. I think it's not. And 4 out of 5 advancing doesn't matter either since Argentina won their group. And besides it's not just that Messi won it it's how he played. Messi had a dominant tournament leading in goals, assists and just about every other metric. When Ronaldo won the Euro he wasn't the best player in that tournament. Messi was in 2021. That's the key difference.

How about knockout stages of international tournaments?

World Cup - Knockout Stages

Messi: 7 contributions (2 G 5 A) in 10 matches
Ronado: 0 contributions (0 G 0 A) in 8 matches

World Cup + Euro/Copa - Knockout Stages

Messi: 24 contributions (7 G 17 A) in 26 matches
Ronaldo: 5 contributions (3 G 2 A) in 19 matches

I don't even want to touch on the CL. Ronaldo is a bit better in the knockout stages statistically but Messi's peak performances like 2011 SF, 2011 F, 2015 SF are better than any of Ronaldo's. And Messi does more in a typical game when you exclude end product. His dribbling and passes creates a ton of chances for teammates. Messi legitimately has many great games in which he doesn't score or assist. Ronaldo very rarely... That's why a comparison involving only end product isn't giving the entire picture.

TheMan
12-12-2022, 12:54 PM
dankok8 and AW arguing whose GOAT between CR and Messi meanwhile the real GOAT is...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPr64KeEkUBBSaiADJ6GhzRFdg7V8eB k6-1gHC7EHDrLzFd0nxWpH7rkyY&s=10

ArbitraryWater
12-12-2022, 01:13 PM
We went through it but your reasoning isn't logical. Brazil definitely played their A team in the Copa final. Neymar, Richarlison, Casemiro, Vinicious, Marquinhos, Silva, Firmino, Danilo, Paqueta...

Sure they played an extra Copa... Ronaldo played in 5 Euros and Messi in 6 Copas. If that's a big deal ok. I think it's not. And 4 out of 5 advancing doesn't matter either since Argentina won their group. And besides it's not just that Messi won it it's how he played. Messi had a dominant tournament leading in goals, assists and just about every other metric. When Ronaldo won the Euro he wasn't the best player in that tournament. Messi was in 2021. That's the key difference.

How about knockout stages of international tournaments?

World Cup - Knockout Stages

Messi: 7 contributions (2 G 5 A) in 10 matches
Ronado: 0 contributions (0 G 0 A) in 8 matches

World Cup + Euro/Copa - Knockout Stages

Messi: 24 contributions (7 G 17 A) in 26 matches
Ronaldo: 5 contributions (3 G 2 A) in 19 matches

I don't even want to touch on the CL. Ronaldo is a bit better in the knockout stages statistically but Messi's peak performances like 2011 SF, 2011 F, 2015 SF are better than any of Ronaldo's. And Messi does more in a typical game when you exclude end product. His dribbling and passes creates a ton of chances for teammates. Messi legitimately has many great games in which he doesn't score or assist. Ronaldo very rarely... That's why a comparison involving only end product isn't giving the entire picture.

They didn't play an extra Copa.

They played 2 extra Copa's.

They played an extra Copa in 2016 for "Anniversary purposes", and another in 2021 to get it on an even timeline with the EURO's...

that's a huge deal.

How are we supposed to take a tournament seriously that is throwing out editions like they're candy?

I find it a bit off that you're getting Ronaldo's KO stages total matches wrong. I mean, you're not doing this off the top of your head, right? So how coud you get it wrong? He's played 7 KO matches, not 8. He's played 4 since 2006. One which was 15 minutes of playing. Edit: You counted the match for Bronze, that's okay. But it still doesn't change that half of those matches were played in 2006 when he was not a goalscorer yet, and 2 of the other 4 came as 2nd half substitute.

Any logical person would conclude that it's not a sufficient sample size to conclude anything from. For the club, a star can pick out a desired and sufficient team. For the NT it's luck. And Messi was born in a better footballing country with more stars throughout his career (Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, etc.). Ronado's best teammate for the majority of his career was a declining Nani...

Euro/Copa KO stages:

Messi: 5 goals in 16 matches, 3 of those 5 goals came at the end of 3-0 blowouts.
Ronaldo: 2 goals in 7 matches, same percentage but Ronaldo actually scored 2 winners (2012 vs. Czech, 2016 vs. Wales), and had a 5 goal group stage in 2021 against Germany and France!

Ronaldo had the Spain Hattrick at the WC, Sweden Hattrick to send them to the WC, Bosnia Brace to send them to the EURO's, Netherlands brace in 2012 to send them to the Knockout stage, Messi simply falls short in legendary matches for Argentina.

CL Knockouts:
Ronaldo 2008-2020: 64 goals (!!) in 70 games (!), the most KO stage goals ever, most SF goals ever (12), 5 F goals (6 matches)
Messi 2009-2020: 45 goals in 64 games, 6 SF goals in 14 games (16 games incl. 2008),2 F goals (3 games)

Messi with more penalties and tap-ins in these also. Most of them, actually. Over 10% of those goals are from an irrelevant Leverkusen match in 2012.

Those Messi peak performances are absolutely not clearly better than Ronaldo's '09 vs. Arsenal, '16 vs. Wofsburg, '17 vs. Bayern and Atletico, '18 vs. Juve, '19 vs. Atletico.

Also Ronaldo's 2017 peak is better than any other Messi CL run. Bar none.

Ronaldo won 5 CL's and was the best in all.

Messi won 3 and wasn't even the top KO stage contributor in one of them (2015). And 2009 was a farce, if we're being honest. It would be 6-2 if Ovrebo had not fixed it.

dankok8
12-12-2022, 03:45 PM
They didn't play an extra Copa.

They played 2 extra Copa's.

They played an extra Copa in 2016 for "Anniversary purposes", and another in 2021 to get it on an even timeline with the EURO's...

that's a huge deal.

How are we supposed to take a tournament seriously that is throwing out editions like they're candy?

I find it a bit off that you're getting Ronaldo's KO stages total matches wrong. I mean, you're not doing this off the top of your head, right? So how coud you get it wrong? He's played 7 KO matches, not 8. He's played 4 since 2006. One which was 15 minutes of playing. Edit: You counted the match for Bronze, that's okay. But it still doesn't change that half of those matches were played in 2006 when he was not a goalscorer yet, and 2 of the other 4 came as 2nd half substitute.

Any logical person would conclude that it's not a sufficient sample size to conclude anything from. For the club, a star can pick out a desired and sufficient team. For the NT it's luck. And Messi was born in a better footballing country with more stars throughout his career (Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, etc.). Ronado's best teammate for the majority of his career was a declining Nani...

Euro/Copa KO stages:

Messi: 5 goals in 16 matches, 3 of those 5 goals came at the end of 3-0 blowouts.
Ronaldo: 2 goals in 7 matches, same percentage but Ronaldo actually scored 2 winners (2012 vs. Czech, 2016 vs. Wales), and had a 5 goal group stage in 2021 against Germany and France!

Ronaldo had the Spain Hattrick at the WC, Sweden Hattrick to send them to the WC, Bosnia Brace to send them to the EURO's, Netherlands brace in 2012 to send them to the Knockout stage, Messi simply falls short in legendary matches for Argentina.

CL Knockouts:
Ronaldo 2008-2020: 64 goals (!!) in 70 games (!), the most KO stage goals ever, most SF goals ever (12), 5 F goals (6 matches)
Messi 2009-2020: 45 goals in 64 games, 6 SF goals in 14 games (16 games incl. 2008),2 F goals (3 games)

Messi with more penalties and tap-ins in these also. Most of them, actually. Over 10% of those goals are from an irrelevant Leverkusen match in 2012.

Those Messi peak performances are absolutely not clearly better than Ronaldo's '09 vs. Arsenal, '16 vs. Wofsburg, '17 vs. Bayern and Atletico, '18 vs. Juve, '19 vs. Atletico.

Also Ronaldo's 2017 peak is better than any other Messi CL run. Bar none.

Ronaldo won 5 CL's and was the best in all.

Messi won 3 and wasn't even the top KO stage contributor in one of them (2015). And 2009 was a farce, if we're being honest. It would be 6-2 if Ovrebo had not fixed it.

Ronaldo has 0 goals and 0 assists in 8 knockout matches at the WC. You can make excuses and yes he played half of them in 2006. But no goal contribution? Zero. That's bad and I don't care how you spin it.

And why just goals homie? Mention their assists at the WC and Euro/Copa. Messi leads in goals 23-22 in major tournaments but he leads by a whopping 24-8 in assists. In knockout stages only, Messi leads 7-3 in goals and incredible 17-2 in assists.

And like I always say end product comparisons aren't even fair to Messi because Messi contributes a ton to chance creation and to his team's offense as a whole. Messi has had countless games where he didn't have end product (Man City 2015, Juventus 2015, Juventus 2017, Brazil 2019 for example) where he was really really good.

By the way you made a Djoko/Nadal analogy... I think Djoko > Nadal but at least it's debatable. With Messi and Ronaldo it really isn't debatable. There is no logical argument for having Ronaldo over Messi. None whatsoever. At best you can prove that they are equal as goalscorers but in terms of complete game, Messi comes out way ahead.

@TheMan

No problem with having Maradona as GOAT. He and Messi are 1a/1b in terms of overall game. Similar players too in many respects... Maradona played further from the goal so he had less end product but he had even better passing vision and GOAT first touch IMO. Messi is more durable and physically stronger and a better finisher in front of goal.

Because they played different positions, it's kind of tough to compare them statistically.

Wally450
12-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Rooting for Argentina and Morocco to win.

AlternativeAcc.
12-13-2022, 02:22 PM
Morocco have proven themselves as the best team in the tournament.

Argentina has a very tough road ahead. Perhaps need some Messi magic today to move to the finals.

I'm already penciling in Morocco.

AlternativeAcc.
12-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Messi!!!

TheMan
12-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Go Argentina!

¡Aguante Argentina!

ShawkFactory
12-13-2022, 04:30 PM
Messi is stupid :lol

TheMan
12-13-2022, 04:47 PM
Hope Morroco can upset France, Argentina will run over them...they'll beat France too but Morroco has nowhere near the talent or skill that Argentina has.

TheMan
12-13-2022, 06:34 PM
The Messi Effect - The whole and entire media and millions of fans picking Argentina to win the World Cup. In reality they have just a puncher's chance. How can you tell? Look at how many of their national team players play for the biggest teams in the world. The big CL contenders like Real Madrid, Bayern, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG...

Messi

End of list.

It's pretty damn insane!

I was looking for this post...yep, this Argentine team is different than previous ones where they were loaded with talent that played in the biggest teams and leagues. Since I'm fluent in Spanish, I sometimes watch Argentine sports coverage and one of the biggest Argentinian sports media gripes about past national team's failures to take the cup was that the star players didn't leave it all on the pitch, they called them millionarios con pechos frios which loosely translated means millionaires who played half heartedly. I don't know how true is that that past teams didn't give it their all but Scaloni built a team that he considered young hungry players who will fight tooth and nail to surround a football genius like Messi, he only called up a handful of previous national team members (Di Maria being the most notable one) and filled the spots with young talented players who play in the local clubs or on international teams that weren't the usual top teams.

So far it has worked, he's gonna go down as a national hero, obviously alongside Messi and the rest of the team if they win it all...maybe the Argentine sports press was on to something? :lol

dankok8
12-13-2022, 06:49 PM
^ Alvarez has been the closest thing to Messi's sidekick. Kid has nerves of steel and is a terrific young talent. He's the best attacker Messi has played alongside and certainly in terms of mentality. Aguero was always hurt and didn't try hard at times, Di Maria actually good but always hurt, and Higuain just didn't have it in him to score that big chance... Alvarez is the real deal. The 2nd goal that he scored requires incredible body control. It was Messi-like literally. And the 3rd goal was routine but he was at the right place at the right time and put it away.

And the rest of the team just has that never die attitude. Guys like De Paul, Paredes, Enzo Fernandes, McAllister etc aren't that talented but they give it their all. Emi Martinez too just a monster in terms of mentality. This Argentina is a good team. They will be underdogs against France but they will have a puncher's chance. And they will be hungry to lift the cup.

Bucket_Nakedz
12-14-2022, 04:15 AM
Go le bleu!

TheMan
12-14-2022, 03:26 PM
France up 1 nil early, now Morocco needs to go on the attack leading to counter attacks by the French side, this game could wind up being a laugher for France.

dankok8
12-14-2022, 05:03 PM
Yea after France scored early, Morocco was practically done but they actually fought very well!

Smook A.
12-14-2022, 05:34 PM
Incredible run by Morocco. Proud of that team :applause:

Argentina vs France will be really good

Pulling for Argentina for Messi!

AlternativeAcc.
12-14-2022, 05:36 PM
France upset Morocco :wtf:

Crazy WC