PDA

View Full Version : Tell me these hypothetical 2001 Orlando Magic don't change league history.

Shogon
04-01-2022, 05:16 PM
Obviously life isn't this simple and it didn't work out this way, but it was also not a completely impossible scenario/team...

So some of you may or may not know, it's highly arguable that Doc Rivers telling Tim Duncan that wives weren't allowed on the team plane cost them him signing there.

Now imagine the Magic sign Duncan, McGrady & Hill as they were lined up to do. Now let's imagine Hill doesn't rush back and takes his time with his rehab.

This is your 2001 Orlando Magic starting lineup.

PG - Darrell Armstrong
SG - Tracy McGrady
SF - Grant Hill
PF - Bo Outlaw
C - Tim Duncan

6th Man - Mike Miller

Now I want anyone with a straight face to tell me that team doesn't not only dominate the **** out of the East, but likely also wins the title in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, maybe 2005 and maybe 2006.

The entire league's history changes. Shaq and Kobe are both footnotes compared to what they ended up being.

Grant Hill was insistent on coming to the Magic no matter what. So imagine a world in which the Magic also retain Ben Wallace instead of dealing him as a footnote for Hill. The Pistons didn't know what they were doing. They wanted to keep Hill. Talk about luck. **** ME EH?

Instead the Magic ended up with this in 2001, largely...

PG - Darrell Armstrong
SG - Tracy McGrady
SF - Mike Miller
PF - Bo Outlaw
C - Andrew DeClerq

**** me, right?

****!!!

FUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk

theman93
04-01-2022, 05:18 PM
What's funny is that early 00 Orlando team also had Chauncey Billups at one point. :roll:

Shogon
04-01-2022, 05:21 PM
What's funny is that early 00 Orlando team also had Chauncey Billups at one point. :roll:

**** you.

**** me.

**** the NBA.

warriorfan
04-01-2022, 05:23 PM
Butterfly effect

But being a fan of dysfunctional teams like this isn’t easy. Warriors stunk unbelievably for the better part of my life. It was rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYe8B--jrbs

https://c.tenor.com/nl2iUgRdwloAAAAM/laughing-michael-jordan.gif

theman93
04-01-2022, 05:27 PM
**** you.

**** me.

**** the NBA.

Image:

PG: Billups
SG: McGrady
SF: Hill
PF: Duncan
C: Wallace

I'm a Magic fan, so I feel your pain.

Shogon
04-01-2022, 06:35 PM
Image:

PG: Billups
SG: McGrady
SF: Hill
PF: Duncan
C: Wallace

I'm a Magic fan, so I feel your pain.

Ok so that's a pipe dream that was never going to happen.

But Armstrong, McGrady, Hill, Duncan, Wallace & Miller was possible, although Wallace admittedly less likely due to the Magic's willingness to include him for Hill.

Even without Billups and without Wallace, that literally changes NBA history. Kobe drastically plummets on the all time charts. Shaq is still probably top 10 either way, but definitely less revered.

Detroit doesn't get that ring, Lakers are done winning after 2000. The Spurs obviously don't become a dynasty and the Heat probably don't get that first ring. As such, Wade probably leaves Miami for somewhere else, LeBron never goes there, etc. Crazy shit to think about.

MrFonzworth
04-01-2022, 06:38 PM
Holy hell this thread is autistic

kabacho
04-01-2022, 07:02 PM
Just like the Nets were a guaranteed championship last season.

JBSptfn
04-02-2022, 08:32 AM
A lineup of Duncan, Wallace, and T-Mac on the front line with Miller and Armstrong in the backcourt is pretty good. Then, you have Bo Outlaw with eventual Laker killer Troy Hudson coming off the bench. You also have a myriad of 7-footers to run at Shaq (John Ameachi, Michael Doleac, and Andrew Declercq) and accumulate fouls. Lots of time for O'Neal at the foul line wouldn't be a good thing for LA.

HylianNightmare
04-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Why did you want to hurt me today

BigShotBob
04-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Lakers would still win

Norcaliblunt
04-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Mid 2000’s Suns would’ve been even better than that team if they resign Joe Johnson, draft Andre Iguodala, and don’t trade Rajon Rondo.

Starting 5

Nash
Johnson
Iggy
Marion
Amare

Bench

Rondo
Barbosa
Raja Bell

That’s a dynasty.

theman93
04-02-2022, 02:20 PM
Ok so that's a pipe dream that was never going to happen.

But Armstrong, McGrady, Hill, Duncan, Wallace & Miller was possible, although Wallace admittedly less likely due to the Magic's willingness to include him for Hill.

Even without Billups and without Wallace, that literally changes NBA history. Kobe drastically plummets on the all time charts. Shaq is still probably top 10 either way, but definitely less revered.

Detroit doesn't get that ring, Lakers are done winning after 2000. The Spurs obviously don't become a dynasty and the Heat probably don't get that first ring. As such, Wade probably leaves Miami for somewhere else, LeBron never goes there, etc. Crazy shit to think about.

From the guy who made a hypothetic thread. The irony :lol

Shogon
04-02-2022, 02:28 PM
From the guy who made a hypothetic thread. The irony :lol

If you don't understand the difference between a realistic hypothetical and an unrealistic hypothetical, that's your problem, not mine. I assure you.

Duncan, McGrady, Hill, Miller, Armstrong, Outlaw was a realistic hypothetical.

theman93
04-02-2022, 03:02 PM
If you don't understand the difference between a realistic hypothetical and an unrealistic hypothetical, that's your problem, not mine. I assure you.

Duncan, McGrady, Hill, Miller, Armstrong, Outlaw was a realistic hypothetical.

:facepalm

Keeping an undrafted prospect in Wallace and keeping Billups who was largely considered a bust before even playing a game for Orlando instead of giving him a chance is an unrealistic hypothetical? Ok bud :lol

The Orlando Sentinel literally wrote a piece on the hypothetical of the Magic keeping Billups but you do you boo.