PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers coached: T-Mac, Kawhi, KG, Pierce, CP3, Blake, Embiid, Harden & won 1 ring

k0kakw0rld
04-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Rajon Rondo
Joe Johnson
Ray Allen
Grant Hill
Paul George :facepalm

Imagine Pop had similar caliber players like that throughout his career in their prime :biggums:

This man is about to lose in the first round with the Sixers.

We will see this again;

https://zupimages.net/up/22/12/tdrn.gif (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/12/tdrn.gif)

He will then join the Lakers to add more comedy to this pathetic franchise,

https://zupimages.net/up/22/14/bqwp.gif (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/14/bqwp.gif)

https://zupimages.net/up/22/14/bqwp.gif (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/14/bqwp.gif)

I don't want to hear anything or how great of a person he is or how respected he is by the players. The man is the "Choke Master".

BarberSchool
04-06-2022, 05:46 PM
Thibbs defense won that ring.

Doc just had a much prettier face than Thibbs.
And as a result of that, the media liked him more than Thibbs.

Now, the entire league still uses copied versions of that Thibbs D.

SouBeachTalents
04-06-2022, 05:48 PM
I’m not even defending Doc as a good coach, but let’s be real about his career. Those Magic teams were absolute dogshit besides McGrady, KG was injured in ‘09 then they lost to the Lakers & Heat the next 3 years. Those Clippers teams were always 2nd tier contenders to me. CP3 & Blake were always getting hurt, and they were never quite as good as the Spurs, Thunder or Warriors.

I’m not saying the guy couldn’t have won more series than he did, but of his losses, 2015 was very bad, 2020 was legitimately the biggest choke ever, and last year was horrendous too. The rest? I felt like he lost to the better team more often than not.

AirBonner
04-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Doc didn’t “win” a ring. They won in-spite of him

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 05:50 PM
If KG didn't fall off after 08( relative to that year and prior), that Celtics team possibly could have three-peated. At worst back to back...

tpols
04-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Thibbs defense won that ring.

Doc just had a much prettier face than Thibbs.
And as a result of that, the media liked him more than Thibbs.

Now, the entire league still uses copied versions of that Thibbs D.

That ain't saying,much. :oldlol: Thibs looking like a fat Al Capone character.

Ultimately the only reason Doc has gotten these gigs is because of affirmative action. He's a horrible coach. A cheerleader coach. Like Mark Jackson. He isn't a strategist which is ultimately what will make the best coaches.

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 06:22 PM
That ain't saying,much. :oldlol: Thibs looking like a fat Al Capone character.

Ultimately the only reason Doc has gotten these gigs is because of affirmative action. He's a horrible coach. A cheerleader coach. Like Mark Jackson. He isn't a strategist which is ultimately what will make the best coaches.

If that's the case why isn't Mark Jackson coaching?

Real Men Wear Green
04-06-2022, 06:24 PM
So all of you basketball historians please tell us which Magic team he had that should have won the championship?

theman93
04-06-2022, 06:35 PM
So all of you basketball historians please tell us which Magic team he had that should have won the championship?

They weren’t gonna win the chip, but his Magic did blow a 3-1 lead to Detroit in 03. All 3 losses to close out the series were by double digits too.

tpols
04-06-2022, 06:37 PM
If that's the case why isn't Mark Jackson coaching?

Because he has a sweet announcing gig. And honestly is much better at that. Him and Jeff van Gundy have good banter. The firing of mark jackson and hiring of Steve Kerr is what sparked the warriors dynasty chemistry. Curry went from 9 dimes a game to 6. Kerr knew that the off ball capabilities of the splash brothers could be harnessed in a way that would produce GOAT teamwork by allowing everybody to touch the ball more. Mark couldn't figure that out. A strategist is worth much more than a preacher as a coach.

ShawkFactory
04-06-2022, 06:37 PM
I don't think he's one of the GOAT coaches or anything but he certainly isn't a bad. When you list all those guys with no context it sounds terrible but sometimes the stars have to align and some dudes just get unlucky.

Like how you even gonna list Harden?

Grant Hill? Seriously?

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 06:38 PM
They weren’t gonna win the chip, but his Magic did blow a 3-1 lead to Detroit in 03. All 3 losses to close out the series were by double digits too.

Yeah, but they had no business even doing that. Detroit should have taken them out in 5 at most. You figure that Tmac, as explosive as he was in 03, was enough on his own to get a game.

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 06:39 PM
Because he has a sweet announcing gig. And honestly is much better at that. Him and Jeff van Gundy have good banter. The firing of mark jackson and hiring of Steve Kerr is what sparked the warriors dynasty chemistry. Curry went from 9 dimes a game to 6. Kerr knew that the off ball capabilities of the splash brothers could be harnessed in a way that would produce GOAT teamwork by allowing everybody to touch the ball more. Mark couldn't figure that out. A strategist is worth much more than a preacher as a coach.

From some of the things I've heard him say in recent years, if he could get back into head coaching at the NBA level he would.

Real Men Wear Green
04-06-2022, 06:50 PM

And the Pistons won the championship in 2004. No Magic team Riverd coached was anywhere near being a contender so holding it against him for not winning one with McGrady is just OP behaving like himself. The Celtics era With KG and Pierce did not underachieve, the contention window was cut short by Garnett injury in 2009. The Clippers years those teams did underachieve but OP listed a lot of players to make Rivers record look worse than it really is because he's a bullshitter. Don't fall for it.

ShawkFactory
04-06-2022, 06:54 PM

Was that coaching? Gordon Giricek and Darrell Armstrong were playing 32 minutes a game against a 1 seed.

k0kakw0rld
04-06-2022, 07:00 PM
2003 - They are up 3-1 in the series vs the Pistons and choked it away.

After T-Mac opened his damn mouth to say: "It feels good to finally get out of the first round" :roll:

theman93
04-06-2022, 07:11 PM
From some of the things I've heard him say in recent years, if he could get back into head coaching at the NBA level he would.

Was that coaching? Gordon Giricek and Darrell Armstrong were playing 32 minutes a game against a 1 seed.

If you’re capable of winning 3 of the first 4, you’re capable of winning 1 of the final 3. Or at least making just one game close.

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 07:17 PM
If you’re capable of winning 3 of the first 4, you’re capable of winning 1 of the final 3. Or at least making just one game close.

But the overall topic is questioning why Doc only won 1 ring with a list of players cited. Within that list is Tmac. None of Tmac's Magic squads had a prayer of winning a title, so whether they should have closed the deal in the first round doesn't circumvent the reality that they weren't going to compete for a chip.

Real Men Wear Green
04-06-2022, 07:19 PM
2003 - They are up 3-1 in the series vs the Pistons and choked it away.

After T-Mac opened his damn mouth to say: "It feels good to finally get out of the first round" :roll:

So you seriously believe that the 2003 Magic should have won a championship? Who was the second star on that team? Was the defense elite?

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 07:20 PM
So you seriously believe that the 2003 Magic should have won a championship? Who was the second star on that team? Was the defense elite?

Precisely. It's like some alternate reality is being conceived where the Magic beat the Pistons and end up going all the way.

theman93
04-06-2022, 07:21 PM
But the overall topic is questioning why Doc only won 1 ring with a list of players cited. Within that list is Tmac. None of Tmac's Magic squads had a prayer of winning a title, so whether they should have closed the deal in the first round doesn't circumvent the reality that they weren't going to compete for a chip.

No argument there.

They weren’t gonna win the chip.

theman93
04-06-2022, 07:23 PM
What about the 02 Magic? Should they have beaten the Hornets who didn't have their second star in Mashburn?

ShawkFactory
04-06-2022, 07:32 PM

The Pistons obviously turned the Heat yo defensively with their backs against the wall. Look at the numbers from the Magic supporting cast in those last 3 games.

If anything it’s a testament to the coaching that they came out swinging like that.

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 07:34 PM
What about the 02 Magic? Should they have beaten the Hornets who didn't have their second star in Mashburn?

Yes they should have. And assuming some miraculous Cinderella run to the finals, Shaq and Kobe are there with a broom dishing out 25+ point blowouts each game.

Real Men Wear Green
04-06-2022, 07:35 PM
What about the 02 Magic?
OP most likely didn't think of that team at all else he would have listed Ewing in the garbage first post. But no that team was not going to win anything either. Their second best scorer was Darrell Armstrong. Look at the teams you are talking about.

theman93
04-06-2022, 07:49 PM
The Pistons obviously turned the Heat yo defensively with their backs against the wall. Look at the numbers from the Magic supporting cast in those last 3 games.

If anything it’s a testament to the coaching that they came out swinging like that.

It's also a testament to the coaching that they stopped swinging. Orlando went from allowing 89 ppg over the first 4 games to 103 ppg over the final 3 which was significantly higher than what Detroit averaged in the regular season.

theman93
04-06-2022, 07:52 PM
OP most likely didn't think of that team at all else he would have listed Ewing in the garbage first post. But no that team was not going to win anything either. Their second best scorer was Darrell Armstrong. Look at the teams you are talking about.

Not win the chip, but advance past Charlotte. I mean, Davis' supporting cast without Mashburn was nothing to write home about lol.

Phoenix
04-06-2022, 07:56 PM
There's two series I think Tmac 'should' have won. The 02 series vs the Hornets, and 08 vs Utah and even that was a pick em. Nobody would be talking about the Pistons series as some kind of black mark if he hadn't said the 'glad to be out of the first round' thing. That probably motivated the Pistons to up the ante and Orlando didn't match it.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-06-2022, 08:03 PM
The bubble was unprecedent circumstances and hasn't happened in a 100 years, so i will give him a pass there.

He is generally a shitty coach though. His bitching to the refs constantly even annoys his own players i think.

HylianNightmare
04-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Didn't let Duncan's wife on the plane. Will hate forever

SouBeachTalents
04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
The bubble was unprecedent circumstances and hasn't happened in a 100 years, so i will give him a pass there.

He is generally a shitty coach though. His bitching to the refs constantly even annoys his own players i think.
Shocking take there.

Jasper
04-06-2022, 09:09 PM
hof coach ... but I have to admit he has under achieved in a big way...

Part of this discussion should be the organizations he coached for , and win now mentality

ArbitraryWater
04-06-2022, 09:13 PM
give me the actual teams

singular names make no sense

k0kakw0rld
04-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Because you like an individual so much you are willing to put aside choke jobs. However, when it comes to a certain player on here...:oldlol: This forum is so funny lol

theman93
04-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Because you like an individual so much you are willing to put aside choke jobs. However, when it comes to a certain player on here...:oldlol: This forum is so funny lol

Lol what? I'm holding him accountable. I think Doc and T-Mac's Magic should have beaten Charlotte.

k0kakw0rld
04-07-2022, 08:08 AM
give me the actual teams

singular names make no sense
I got you!

2003: Rivers’ Orlando Magic blow a 3-1 lead to the Detroit Pistons. They were the 8th seed and weren't supposed to be in this position, we get all of that. However, you are given 3 chances to close the deal with T-Mac, Grant Hill on your roster, and fail.

2015: The Clippers blow a 3-1 to the Houston Rockets. He lost against Josh Smith out of everybody LOL

2020: The Los Angeles Clippers were on the brink of a trip to the Western Conference Finals with a 3-1 series lead over the Denver Nuggets in the second round of the 2020 NBA Playoffs.

- The Clippers blew a 15-point lead to lose Game 5
- The Clippers blew a 19-point second half lead to lose Game 6
- The Clippers totally collapsed in the fourth quarter to lose Game 7

2021: The Ben Simmons saga and the collapses against the Hawks

https://zupimages.net/up/22/14/mfuw.jpg (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/14/mfuw.jpg)

ShawkFactory
04-07-2022, 09:41 AM
Lol what? I'm holding him accountable. I think Doc and T-Mac's Magic should have beaten Charlotte.

Maybe..

Pat Garrity was playing 37 minutes in that series.

theman93
04-07-2022, 09:44 AM
Maybe..

Pat Garrity was playing 37 minutes in that series.

Do NOT hate on my man Patrick Joseph Garrity.

Akeem34TheDream
04-07-2022, 10:05 AM
There are AT LEAST 15 better coaches in the NBA. He is a Dwayne Casey, Alvin Gentry level coach.

Nowoco
04-07-2022, 10:12 AM
Let's keep it real. Rivers' reputation has been enhanced for years because he was the poster boy successful black coach in a sport where there are few black coaches and even fewer successful ones. Unfortunately his lack of success and huge amount of choke jobs has put him firmly in the doldrums of bang average coaches who promise far more than they deliver.

ShawkFactory
04-07-2022, 10:16 AM
Do NOT hate on my man Patrick Joseph Garrity.

Commenting on how him playing 37 minutes a game in a playoff series might mean that you're in a bad spot isn't hating. He's was nice shooter off the bench.

Charlie Sheen
04-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Rajon Rondo
Joe Johnson
Ray Allen
Grant Hill
Paul George :facepalm

Imagine Pop had similar caliber players like that throughout his career in their prime :biggums:

This man is about to lose in the first round with the Sixers.

We will see this again;

https://zupimages.net/up/22/12/tdrn.gif (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/12/tdrn.gif)

He will then join the Lakers to add more comedy to this pathetic franchise,

I don't want to hear anything or how great of a person he is or how respected he is by the players. The man is the "Choke Master".

You want me to imagine Pop winning more than he actually did with the rosters Rivers coached than the Spurs rosters he had? I tried and I can't.

k0kakw0rld
04-07-2022, 10:09 PM
You want me to imagine Pop winning more than he actually did with the rosters Rivers coached than the Spurs rosters he had? I tried and I can't.
Try again. Doc Rivers is massively overrated. So you got a guy like Embiid as your main guy and you can't find a way to get him in the low post? Everything time Embiid touched the ball especially in the 4th he was on top of the key instead of being down low, dominating. That's why I don't trust Doc Rivers.

k0kakw0rld
04-07-2022, 11:28 PM
Ben Simmons
Jimmy Butler
JJ Reddick :roll:

F--k Doc Rivers man :oldlol: