PDA

View Full Version : Even Rohrbach is calling the '22 Lakers "the most disappointing team in NBA history"

Full Court
04-07-2022, 11:19 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-22-los-angeles-lakers-win-title-of-most-disappointing-team-in-nba-history-174719159.html

:roll:

At least Bronie managed to get a title of some kind this year.

plowking
04-07-2022, 11:48 PM
Not even close.

Their team is so average outside of Bron and Davis. And they battled injuries all season.

2swift4u
04-08-2022, 04:26 AM
You don't even have to go back very far to find worse. The Nets looked much better on paper a couple of years ago with KD, Kyrie, Harden, etc. and they didn't achieve anything. And I don't think that a lot of people actually believed that the Lakers would be very successful. Most people predicted that AD would be injured again and that Westbrook woulnd't be a good fit. And that's exactly what happened.

TheGoatest
04-08-2022, 04:51 AM
Easily the 1985-86 Chicago Bulls:

jordon
George Gervin
Charles Oakley
Orlando Woolridge

= 30-52 record :roll:

meat
04-08-2022, 05:14 AM

jordon
George Gervin
Charles Oakley
Orlando Woolridge

Jordan played 18 games. Oakley was a rookie. Gervin was cooked. Woolridge was never that good.

LeCola
04-08-2022, 06:37 AM
Le11thSeedWithABig3Team. :D

Spurs m8
04-08-2022, 06:51 AM
Jordan played 18 games. Oakley was a rookie. Gervin was cooked. Woolridge was never that good.

Goat tits is a colossal failure...like his hero

Full Court
04-08-2022, 06:54 AM
You don't even have to go back very far to find worse. The Nets looked much better on paper a couple of years ago with KD, Kyrie, Harden, etc. and they didn't achieve anything. And I don't think that a lot of people actually believed that the Lakers would be very successful. Most people predicted that AD would be injured again and that Westbrook woulnd't be a good fit. And that's exactly what happened.

The Nets were a disappointment for sure, but they achieved the playoffs.

The Lakers achieved the lottery. Much worse look for the Lakers.

coin24
04-08-2022, 07:03 AM
Not even close.

Their team is so average outside of Bron and Davis. And they battled injuries all season.

Bran plays zero D and is a huge part of why the team sucks.
His push for westbrick over derozen and the trading of all their valuable pieces is why they are so shit..

RogueBorg
04-08-2022, 09:05 AM

jordon
George Gervin
Charles Oakley
Orlando Woolridge

That Bulls team wasn't one of the pre-season favorites to win their conference or the championship, this Lakers team was. This Lakers team has 5 future Hall of Famers and 4 players on the 75th Anniversary Team with Dwight a lock to be on the 100th Anniversary Team. That Bulls team made the playoffs, this Lakers team couldn't make the play-in with those players, they are the single most disappointing team in NBA history.

ImKobe
04-08-2022, 09:18 AM

jordon
George Gervin
Charles Oakley
Orlando Woolridge

.500 with MJ and a disaster without him. Keep trying tho :( .

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 09:29 AM
I'm not going to excuse them not even making the 8 seed, let alone missing the play in, that's for sure an unacceptable result. But agenda aside, can we be real about this team? Without either LeBron or AD playing, this is not remotely a good team. Westbrook is an albatross around the teams neck, and the rest of the supporting cast is mediocre.

If AD & LeBron had played the majority of games this year, sure, I could get onboard with this statement and it'd hold a lot more validity. But with the two of them missing nearly 70 games combined? Not even close :lol They're a 7-8 seed at best.

RogueBorg
04-08-2022, 09:39 AM
I'm not going to excuse them not even making the 8 seed, let alone missing the play in, that's for sure an unacceptable result. But agenda aside, can we be real about this team? Without either LeBron or AD playing, this is not remotely a good team. Westbrook is an albatross around the teams neck, and the rest of the supporting cast is mediocre.

If AD & LeBron had played the majority of games this year, sure, I could get onboard with this statement and it'd hold a lot more validity. But with the two of them missing nearly 70 games combined? Not even close :lol They're a 7-8 seed at best.

They both played last friday night in a must-win game and lost...to the freaking Pelicans. With the caliber of players they have and the preseason expectations placed on them, there is no one else more disappointing. Shannon Sharpe was saying yesterday he tried hard to find a team to put over them but can't. If not them then who?

FKAri
04-08-2022, 09:54 AM
The most disappointing team to me from recent years has got to be the 2020 Clippers.

Sounding like a Bron fan right here lol. But ya that just wasn't a good team.

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 09:59 AM
They both played last friday night in a must-win game and lost...to the freaking Pelicans. With the caliber of players they have and the preseason expectations placed on them, there is no one else more disappointing. Shannon Sharpe was saying yesterday he tried hard to find a team to put over them but can't. If not them then who?
Wow, a whopping one game sample size, compelling argument there :lol I'm clearly not going to be able to convince a group of rabid LeBron haters not to think in the most extreme terms possible, it's no different than politics really. The Lakers were obv a very disappointing team that should've never missed the play-in, let alone the traditional playoff format. But I'm not going to pretend that AD didn't miss literally half the season, or LeBron nearly 1/3, or that they had a negative on the court as their "third option" the entire season. With any context, this was a deeply flawed team that faced significant injuries the entire year. I have no idea who the most disappointing team in history was, but this one with AD & LeBron missing so many games feels ridiculous to claim that.

Cyrus334
04-08-2022, 10:59 AM
Wow, a whopping one game sample size, compelling argument there :lol I'm clearly not going to be able to convince a group of rabid LeBron haters not to think in the most extreme terms possible, it's no different than politics really. The Lakers were obv a very disappointing team that should've never missed the play-in, let alone the traditional playoff format. But I'm not going to pretend that AD didn't miss literally half the season, or LeBron nearly 1/3, or that they had a negative on the court as their "third option" the entire season. With any context, this was a deeply flawed team that faced significant injuries the entire year. I have no idea who the most disappointing team in history was, but this one with AD & LeBron missing so many games feels ridiculous to claim that.

Why do people act like the Lakers are the only team dealing with significant injuries?

The Clippers were missing Kawhi for the entire season and Paul George for over 50 games. They will finish with a winning record and also managed to stay in the playoffs.

The Nuggets were missing Jamal Murray for the entire season and MPJ for over 70 games. They will finish with a winning record and also managed to stay in the playoffs.

The Lakers had Lebron for 60 games, AD for 40 games, and Westbrook for 78 games but can't even manage to stay in the play-in tournament? Also, even when Lebron, AD, and Westbrook were all healthy together they weren't even that good being 11-10. They're not like the Nets with Harden, KD, and Kyrie who were like 13-3 or something when they all played. They don't get any excuses for this shit stain of a season. None.

Airupthere
04-08-2022, 11:02 AM
Any news from Lebron since being eliminated?

RogueBorg
04-08-2022, 11:02 AM

Shannon Sharpe, a devout Lebronstan/Lakers fan and Jay Williams have also come out calling them the most disappointing.

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 11:10 AM
I asked you what team in your opinion is the most disappointing? Shannon Sharpe, a devout Lebronstan/Lakers fan and Jay Williams have also come out calling them the most disappointing.

The moment the trade for Westbrook happened, no reasonable fan had this team as a lock to make the Finals. Yes, they should have made the playoffs, but Westbrook was a huge question mark for this team, there was many who believed he wouldn't fit this team before a game was even played. Our 2013 team got way more hype coming into the season, yes they made the playoffs, but winning 45 games and getting swept in the 1st round is not some huge achievement.

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 11:21 AM
Why do people act like the Lakers are the only team dealing with significant injuries?

The Clippers were missing Kawhi for the entire season and Paul George for over 50 games. They will finish with a winning record and also managed to stay in the playoffs.

The Nuggets were missing Jamal Murray for the entire season and MPJ for over 70 games. They will finish with a winning record and also managed to stay in the playoffs.

The Lakers had Lebron for 60 games, AD for 40 games, and Westbrook for 78 games but can't even manage to stay in the play-in tournament? Also, even when Lebron, AD, and Westbrook were all healthy together they weren't even that good being 11-10. They're not like the Nets with Harden, KD, and Kyrie who were like 13-3 or something when they all played. They don't get any excuses for this shit stain of a season. None.
Jokic is either the best or 2nd best player in the world, he's clearly better than 37 year old LeBron, and him leading the Nuggets to nearly 50 wins is a huge reason why he should be MVP.

I'll repeat it for a 3rd time, the Lakers shouldn't have missed the play in or even been below the 8th seed. They should've at minimum been where the Clippers are, so in that regard they are clearly a disappointment. I just find it ridiculous anyone could have watched this team all season and actually expected them to be anything better than a 7-8 seed with the amount of games their stars missed and how abysmal of a fit Westbrook was.

tpols
04-08-2022, 12:15 PM

Boom. Nets were missing kyrie harden and Durant for half the season as well. They pretty much never fielded a full lineup until last week.

RogueBorg
04-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Who are the betting favorites to win the NBA title in 2021-22?
Here are the title odds for all 30 teams this season:

Brooklyn Nets, +225

Los Angeles Lakers, +350

Milwaukee Bucks, +800

Golden State Warriors, +1000

Utah Jazz, +1400

Phoenix Suns, +1600

Los Angeles Clippers, +1800

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/here-are-preseason-nba-title-favorites-2021-22

Behind Brooklyn is the Los Angeles Lakers with +350 title odds. The 2020 NBA champions were doomed by an Anthony Davis injury in a first-round playoff loss to the runner-up Phoenix Suns. L.A. didn’t sit on its hands after falling way short of repeating as champs, making a blockbuster move in acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Washington Wizards. The team also retooled the supporting cast around its newly-formed Big Three with the additions of Carmelo Anthony, Kendrick Nunn, Trevor Ariza and Malik Monk, among others.

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 12:22 PM
2004 Lakers were clearly the biggest disappointment in history.

Micku
04-08-2022, 12:25 PM
The moment the trade for Westbrook happened, no reasonable fan had this team as a lock to make the Finals. Yes, they should have made the playoffs, but Westbrook was a huge question mark for this team, there was many who believed he wouldn't fit this team before a game was even played. Our 2013 team got way more hype coming into the season, yes they made the playoffs, but winning 45 games and getting swept in the 1st round is not some huge achievement.

I don't know about that.

A lot of ppl have them going to the finals. They had the vegas odds, the analysts and the fans. The reasonable fans were ppl that were thinking that Westbrook is a bad fit, but all of us thought they were going to make the playoffs. They didn't even make the play ins. That's beyond bad. If this was true regular season, with only 1-8 making the playoffs and no play ins, this would be a utter disaster being 11th seed. But I think you're right that the 2013 probably had more hype too. Ppl legit thought that was the best starting five of all time. But they at least made it to the playoffs. They had a nice run when Kobe handled the ball more, but then he got hurt.

But this is the worse superteam ever. For sure. Nobody thought they were gonn'a be this bad.

RogueBorg
04-08-2022, 12:26 PM

You might be dumber than the wasteoid in your avi

https://i.gifer.com/origin/2c/2cbada34c509f3b2fed52e004d32975a.gif

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 12:28 PM
The Nets were a disappointment for sure, but they achieved the playoffs.

The Lakers achieved the lottery. Much worse look for the Lakers.

Did the Nets win the title? If not, all of a sudden just making the playoffs is considered an achievement to you?

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 12:31 PM
You might be dumber than the wasteoid in your avi

https://i.gifer.com/origin/2c/2cbada34c509f3b2fed52e004d32975a.gif

The Lakers were expected to sweep the 04 Finals rather easily. Instead, they got their asses handed to them.

Maybe you weren't watching the NBA yet back then.

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 12:36 PM
I don't know about that.

A lot of ppl have them going to the finals. They had the vegas odds, the analysts and the fans. The reasonable fans were ppl that were thinking that Westbrook is a bad fit, but all of us thought they were going to make the playoffs. They didn't even make the play ins. That's beyond bad. If this was true regular season, with only 1-8 making the playoffs and no play ins, this would be a utter disaster being 11th seed. But I think you're right that the 2013 probably had more hype too. Ppl legit thought that was the best starting five of all time. But they at least made it to the playoffs. They had a nice run when Kobe handled the ball more, but then he got hurt.

But this is the worse superteam ever. For sure. Nobody thought they were gonn'a be this bad.

I don't know much about how the vegas odds are set, but don't fans have some sort of say in it? Lakers are the biggest franchise in the NBA and have the most popular player in the NBA, I'm sure that had something to do with their high odds. I see lines change all the time when fans bet a certain direction.

Lakers in 2005 were tied for #2 in vegas odds to win it all despite not having much talent, I'm sure the Lakers brand and Kobe himself was a huge reason for those odds.

tpols
04-08-2022, 12:49 PM
The Lakers were expected to sweep the 04 Finals rather easily. Instead, they got their asses handed to them.

Maybe you weren't watching the NBA yet back then.

A team that made it to the Finals can't be the most disappointing team ever Chico.

Airupthere
04-08-2022, 12:51 PM
LOL at the branstans that can't face reality.

Johnny32
04-08-2022, 12:52 PM
lakers had more starting lineups than wins this season. can't predict injuries. legoat missed 26 games, ad 40, nunn the season. that's 3 of lakers top 4 players next season.

Airupthere
04-08-2022, 12:56 PM
clippers had a lot of missed games as well, if not worse, and they are nowhere near the lakers

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 12:57 PM
A team that made it to the Finals can't be the most disappointing team ever Chico.

When you're considered the overwhelming favorite in the Finals and lose badly without injuries being a factor... it's a bigger failure than 2022.

ArbitraryWater
04-08-2022, 12:59 PM
Who the **** is Rohrbach

SouBeachTalents
When you're considered the overwhelming favorite in the Finals and lose badly without injuries being a factor... it's a bigger failure than 2022.
Malone was injured in the '04 Finals. And there's no way getting your ass kicked in the Finals is a bigger failure than winning 30 games :lol

ArbitraryWater

the "freaking" Pelicans? :lol

Johnny32
04-08-2022, 01:02 PM
clippers had a lot of missed games as well, if not worse, and they are nowhere near the lakers

they were actually in a close raise for awhile lol. anyway lakers had more roster turnover than any team in the lg probably. so mins on the court is the most important thing and they didn't get enough of it with lebron/ad/rwb. probably why they don't blow it up.

tpols
04-08-2022, 01:03 PM

You could put the 2011 Heat in the mix then too. Their preseason odds were very close to 2004 Lakers. +140 to +175. But ultimately the Lakers were +250 to win the title this year and are like the 11 or 12 seed. That's GOAT underachievement.

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 01:04 PM
You could put the 2011 Heat in the mix then too. They're preseason odds were very close to 2004 Lakers. +140 to +175. But ultimately the Lakers were +250 to win the title this year and are like the 11 or 12 seed. That's GOAT underachievement.
Nobody posts more incorrect information than you :lol They were +425, and for reference, the '05 Lakers were +500.

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Malone was injured in the '04 Finals. And there's no way getting your ass kicked in the Finals is a bigger failure than winning 30 games :lol

Malone played 4 of the 5gms while avg. the 4th most minutes for LA.

If LA were relatively healthy this season and this was the outcome... then yes, it would be a major disappointment.

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 01:07 PM
You could put the 2011 Heat in the mix then too. Their preseason odds were very close to 2004 Lakers. +140 to +175. But ultimately the Lakers were +250 to win the title this year and are like the 11 or 12 seed. That's GOAT underachievement.

I'm not talking preseason favorites. Before game 1 tipoff of the 04 Finals..... the Lakers were expected to sweep rather easily. Instead, Detroit had done the unthinkable.

tpols
04-08-2022, 01:08 PM
Nobody posts more incorrect information than you :lol They were +425, and for reference, the '05 Lakers were +500.

My mistake +425 I glanced at the wrong year. But still... +425 and 2nd leading odds contender behind the Nets. Who had more problems / injuries / having to deal with bullshit mandates. 12 seed with 2nd leading contender odds is GOAT underachievement right? Sounds like it.

You also looked up the wrong year yourself. What does 2005 Lakers odds have to do with 2004?

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 01:15 PM
My mistake +425 I glanced at the wrong year. But still... +425 and 2nd leading odds contender behind the Nets. Who had more problems / injuries / having to deal with bullshit mandates. 12 seed with 2nd leading contender odds is GOAT underachievement right? Sounds like it.

You also looked up the wrong year yourself. What does 2005 Lakers odds have to do with 2004?
If we're saying the 2022 Lakers are the GOAT underachievement, then the '05 Lakers who were also 2nd in preseason title odds and only marginally smaller title favorites at +500 going 34-48 is the 2nd greatest underachievement of all time. 2013 Lakers would either take their spot or be 3rd.

I will seriously never understand the fixation on preseason title odds, it's pure speculation and often times injury and frankly unpredictable shit goes down over the course of 7 months.

tpols
04-08-2022, 01:23 PM
If we're saying the 2022 Lakers are the GOAT underachievement, then the '05 Lakers who were also 2nd in preseason title odds and only marginally smaller title favorites at +500 going 34-48 is the 2nd greatest underachievement of all time. 2013 Lakers would either take their spot or be 3rd.

I will seriously never understand the fixation on preseason title odds, it's pure speculation and often times injury and frankly unpredictable shit goes down over the course of 7 months.

I mean that's probably true too. 2005 Lakers were a huge disappointment. But they rebounded over the next couple of years and were a top seed by 2008 before the Pau trade. Organically.

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 01:28 PM
I mean that's probably true too. 2005 Lakers were a huge disappointment.

They had just lost Shaq. How the hell were they a "huge disappointment"?

From what I remember I just expected a playoff birth at best that year, anything more than that was a surprise. I knew you couldn't replace Shaq's impact.

The fact that they were tied for #2 to win a title is kinda odd. This is why you shouldn't take vegas odds too serious, along with the fact that nobody knows how new players will fit to a new team.

tpols
04-08-2022, 01:40 PM

From what I remember I just expected a playoff birth at best that year, anything more than that was a surprise. I knew you couldn't replace Shaq's impact.

The fact that they were tied for #2 to win a title is kinda odd. This is why you shouldn't take vegas odds too serious, along with the fact that nobody knows how new players will fit to a new team.

Because Kobe was considered that good. But he had a poor season that year. The very next year the Lakers were one miracle shot from Tim Thomas away from eliminating a 2 seed in 6 games. So they rebounded drastically.

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2022, 01:46 PM

Not just Shaq, Phil Jackson, plus two other starters in Malone & Payton, I honestly don't get those odds at all, what justification could you use to put them ahead of the Wolves, Kings, the defending champs who just destroyed them in the Finals, or even Shaq's new team, which even with Wade only coming off his rookie year were somehow +2200 to win the title. and not even in the top 10 of title contenders.

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 01:48 PM
Because Kobe was considered that good. But he had a poor season that year. The very next year the Lakers were one miracle shot from Tim Thomas away from eliminating a 2 seed in 6 games. So they rebounded drastically.

He was considered that good yet the next off-season they weren't even top 10 in odds to win it all despite Phil Jackson returning.

tpols
04-08-2022, 01:51 PM
He was considered that good yet the next off-season they weren't even top 10 in odds to win it all despite Phil Jackson returning.

Yea because at that point people started questioning what he could do without Shaq. I remember the talk back then... Everybody was saying after the 2005 let down season that "Kobe could never win without Shaq" and the public believed that mainstream narrative. Hence the odds. Then they got a Dookie dropped on them when he had perhaps the greatest offensive season of all time from a scoring perspective.

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 01:59 PM
Yea because at that point people started questioning what he could do without Shaq. I remember the talk back then... Everybody was saying after the 2005 let down season that "Kobe could never win without Shaq" and the public believed that mainstream narrative. Hence the odds. Then they got a Dookie dropped on them when he had perhaps the greatest offensive season of all time from a scoring perspective.

So you admit the public who are mostly casuals have a great say in how these odds work. That alone should discount preseason odds.

tpols
04-08-2022, 02:05 PM
So you admit the public who are mostly casuals have a great say in how these odds work. That alone should discount preseason odds.

No prediction is ever perfect dude. Of course there will be anomalies in every facet of life. Generally speaking if you look at preseason odds and who went deep in the playoffs and / or won the title its almost always teams in the top 5 contender list. The NBA is the most predictable sport out of the major sports leagues. Its very rare a low seed wins a title unlike in say football where its possible due to the one and done format.

StrongLurk
04-08-2022, 02:18 PM
Everyone accepts Bron is the best player after MJ, which is why people are disappointed. They still expect 37 year old Bron to bring chips to LA.

Micku
04-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Yeah. They were expected to be a playoff team, but I don't remember anyone thought they were gonn'a be a championship contender. It was shocking that the Vegas odds were putting them that high up there. Kobe was also hurt and dealing with injuries that season. I don't remember the hype of the Lakers 05. I remember the lack of hype tho.

Even with that said, the hype of the 2013 and 2022 Laker team was higher. I do think the 2013 peaked higher, but 2022 was a big time disappointment. At least the other teams the 2013 and 2004 superteams made the POs and/or made the finals.

Full Court
04-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Did the Nets win the title? If not, all of a sudden just making the playoffs is considered an achievement to you?

Making the playoffs is better than ending up in the lottery. This isn't a complex concept and shouldn't be difficult to grasp.

Hey Yo
04-08-2022, 04:44 PM
Making the playoffs is better than ending up in the lottery. This isn't a complex concept and shouldn't be difficult to grasp.

LOL @ your flip-flopping. Before, according to you, it was better to miss the playoffs than lose in the postseason.

You're such a dumb fukk

Full Court
04-08-2022, 07:07 PM
LOL @ your flip-flopping. Before, according to you, it was better to miss the playoffs than lose in the postseason.

You're such a dumb fukk

You're a complete idiot then. I have never said such a thing. Either you have me mixed up with someone else, or you're just making stuff up.

Either way, you're a moron.

SATAN
04-08-2022, 08:41 PM
Everyone accepts Bron is the best player

/Thread.

HoopsNY
04-08-2022, 09:57 PM

How? That team won 56 games and made the finals. No one considers that to be the biggest disappointment in history. You're comparing a finals team to a team that finished 11th in the West?

HoopsNY
04-08-2022, 09:58 PM

You think the 2013 Lakers were more of a disappointment?

HoopsNY
04-08-2022, 10:00 PM
lakers had more starting lineups than wins this season. can't predict injuries. legoat missed 26 games, ad 40, nunn the season. that's 3 of lakers top 4 players next season.

Many teams this season lost key players. The Nets, Clippers, Nuggets, etc all had key injuries and still remained in playoff competition.