PDA

View Full Version : Durant reveals how offenses have gotten more sophisticated and advanced since 2010

1987_Lakers
04-08-2022, 08:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MRqAWBX7Y

Also discuss how there is more overall talent in the league compared to 20-30 years ago.

iamgine
04-08-2022, 08:59 PM
Yeah, the more $$ involved, the better the athletes.

Wilt and Russell was paid the the equivalent of minimum salary today. Magic and Jordan was paid like the equivalent of Khem Birch or Cedi Osman today.

Spurs m8
04-08-2022, 09:52 PM
Funny, because the Lakers offense - this season - would have looked bad in any era

Kblaze8855
04-08-2022, 10:04 PM
He also talked about how much easier it is to score. Just within his own career how it went from difficult to score 30 to easy. All the pet plays and extra screening and space. Which is pretty much what we have all noticed.

One thing I love about players talking is the acknowledgment of sets and the prevalence of plays. Fans legit don’t seem to realize teams run offenses and it isn’t just chaos. People bitching about touches or where someone is on the floor as if the team doesn’t run sets to get exactly that outcome. Might work might not but time and time again I hear about some supposedly bad decision that is obviously how a play was designed to go. There are so many designed ISO plays but fans are like “He needs to pass the ball!” as if the whole play wasn’t designed for him to do what he did.

Micku
04-09-2022, 02:37 AM
He also talked about how much easier it is to score. Just within his own career how it went from difficult to score 30 to easy. All the pet plays and extra screening and space. Which is pretty much what we have all noticed.

One thing I love about players talking is the acknowledgment of sets and the prevalence of plays. Fans legit don’t seem to realize teams run offenses and it isn’t just chaos. People bitching about touches or where someone is on the floor as if the team doesn’t run sets to get exactly that outcome. Might work might not but time and time again I hear about some supposedly bad decision that is obviously how a play was designed to go. There are so many designed ISO plays but fans are like “He needs to pass the ball!” as if the whole play wasn’t designed for him to do what he did.

Oh yeah dude. I think hardcore fans know about that. Like KD talks about how crowded the paint was back earlier in his career. And that wasn't as bad as the early 00s. And that wasn't as bad as the 80s. Etc, etc.

But the plays and spacing, that's where you get to the meat of it. You can see sometimes when the play is broken and the player is do whatever. And I think Bill Simmons said this on his podcast, where a reporter or him asked Doc Rivers why would they give the ball to Perkins at the top of the key only to pass the ball? And Doc said, if he doesn't have everyone to be included in the offense, then he'll lose them over the course of the game. They'll lack motivation or whatever.

There is definitely set design plays for isos, shot creation, and multiple options on any set play. It got more sophisticated now.

And they mentioned that there are more skilled players nowadays than so many years ago. Even back in KD's early career.

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2022, 03:14 AM
Spain PnRs, Stagger screens, exit screens for corner threes. 'Horns' was a popular set in the 2010s decade.

Phoenix loves to just spam Spain PnRs all day long. However, depending on how the defense plays it, it can end in several ways. In essence, it's just an initial set that can flow into a number of different actions.

It's all due to the increase in three point shooting and its ability to drag out the defense, opening cutting and driving lanes.

3ba11
04-09-2022, 04:10 AM
Time of possession stats tell the story of who is producing in a sophisticated way (without just holding the ball a long time) - Luka, Westbrook, Harden, and Lebron are among the least sophisticated producers that require the longest hold-time each game to get stats, while Joker, Giannis, Durant, Kawhi and even Booker produce the same or more with a fraction of the hold-time.

3ba11
04-09-2022, 04:21 AM
Offensive "sophistication" = spacing, aka easier format for individual production

easier and neater shot-making, so a guy like MJ would average 40 on catch-and-shoot without needing his dipsy-do game..

His video "Come Fly With Me" shows him in heavy traffic and mitigating defenders but he wouldn't need any of that in today's beginner format (spacing) created by "offensive sophistication"

ArbitraryWater
04-09-2022, 05:00 AM
Inb4 rabbit MJ tards and LeBron haters still try to deny the most obvious things

BigShotBob
04-09-2022, 05:08 AM
Inb4 rabbit MJ tards and LeBron haters still try to deny the most obvious things

KD said it's easier to score now than ever.

It's over.

Johnny32
04-09-2022, 08:40 AM
offenses are unstoppable now vs any defensive era. too much skill at every position.

nayte
04-09-2022, 09:23 AM
Ayee seems like op has abandoned his own thread after his agenda got ruined.lol

Shogon
04-09-2022, 09:40 AM

And yet the league scoring leaders are not averaging many more points, if any at all, than league leading scorers of years past.

I agree it is easier to get to the hole than ever before because of rule changes and floor spacing, but it's interesting that the league leading scorer is a center at around 30 ppg, is it not?

Would peak scoring Kobe and peak scoring McGrady be scoring more today than they did in 2003 & 2006? Or would they be passing the ball more when driving and settling for more threes?

Interesting indeed, to me.

nayte
04-09-2022, 09:56 AM
And yet the league scoring leaders are not averaging many more points, if any at all, than league leading scorers of years past.

I agree it is easier to get to the hole than ever before because of rule changes and floor spacing, but it's interesting that the league leading scorer is a center at around 30 ppg, is it not?

Would peak scoring Kobe and peak scoring McGrady be scoring more today than they did in 2003 & 2006? Or would they be passing the ball more when driving and settling for more threes?

Interesting indeed, to me.

While not totally related. Is there a big difference in shot attempts from the best scorers since the 80s to now. I might be wrong but it seems fga is around the same?

I admit I could look it up but too lazy