PDA

View Full Version : Jrue Holiday Earned $306,000 in Eight Seconds

jlip
04-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Eh... Kind of...

The Bucks may have entered Sunday’s game against the Cavaliers without much to play for, but the team’s regular season finale presented point guard Jrue Holiday with a unique opportunity.

Holiday had played in 66 games for Milwaukee so far this season, but stood to earn a $306,000 bonus if he reached 67 appearances. As a result, he was the only one of the Bucks’ usual starters to take the floor for the opening tip against the Cavs.

However, after Cleveland won the jump ball, Holiday immediately went to foul Darius Garland. Once he committed the foul, he jogged back to the bench and did not return for the rest of the game.

Holiday’s stint in the Bucks’ regular season finale lasted just eight seconds, but netted him a six-figure payday.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/04/10/jrue-holiday-plays-eight-seconds-earns-six-figure-bonus-bucks-season-finale

FultzNationRISE
04-11-2022, 12:17 PM
Will Rr3 complain he’s paid too much at the expense of ‘the worker?’

Charlie Sheen
04-11-2022, 12:46 PM
That's how its supposed to work. He was on pace to achieve the incentive and the employer conceded. Both sides get what they want. Bucks don't risk injury, and Jrue gets his money.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 12:49 PM
That's how its supposed to work. He was on pace to achieve the incentive and the employer conceded. Both sides get what they want. Bucks don't risk injury, and Jrue gets his money.

If he already geared up and stepped on the floor might as well play the game instead of making a mockery of it just to get some extra cash. The odds of injuring yourself in that one particular game are small.

Lost a lot of respect for the guy.

FultzNationRISE
04-11-2022, 01:11 PM
If he already geared up and stepped on the floor might as well play the game instead of making a mockery of it just to get some extra cash. The odds of injuring yourself in that one particular game are small.

:biggums:

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 01:16 PM

Lose respect for people that do harm to others. Guy could get a decent trust funds worth of money for 10 low to no risk seconds and chose to do so with the blessing of his employer and teammates. Please stop advocating for stupidity.

Shogon
04-11-2022, 01:19 PM
Lose respect for people that do harm to others. Guy could get a decent trust funds worth of money for 10 low to no risk seconds and chose to do so with the blessing of his employer and teammates. Please stop advocating for stupidity.

But the guy you're quoting is stupid. He doesn't understand. It is what it is.

It's like asking a dog to be a cat.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 01:37 PM
But the guy you're quoting is stupid. He doesn't understand. It is what it is.

It's like asking a dog to be a cat.

What do I not understand? That the chances to injure yourself in that particular game are infinitely small?

Its simple. if youre out there already, have some decency and play for 20 something minutes. Odds to get injured are one in a hundred. Otherwise youre making it just about the money. Its a pathetic culture where everything is just about the money.

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 01:53 PM
So your problem is that someone at work is there for the money? And that says something about society?

Youre an adult aren’t you?

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:11 PM
Yea that speaks to a lack of integrity. If you're gonna sit, sit. If you're gonna play, play. Karma is deserved for that. Making a surgeons annual salary on a loophole produced nothing 8 seconds when most people would have to work a decade to make that. Minus bills 90% won't make that in an entire lifetime. These guys are truly spoiled.

FultzNationRISE
04-11-2022, 02:16 PM
Yea that speaks to a lack of integrity. If you're gonna sit, sit. If you're gonna play, play. Karma is deserved for that. Making a surgeons annual salary on a loophole produced nothing 8 seconds when most people would have to work a decade to make that. Minus bills 90% won't make that in an entire lifetime. These guys are truly spoiled.

They sat every other starter.

It was his employer’s choice to start him and his employers choice to pull him after 8 seconds. He didnt write the lineup then sub himself out. :lol

He did what was asked, and was rewarded for it.

It is so bizarre that people see this any other way.

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:17 PM
What do I not understand? That the chances to injure yourself in that particular game are infinitely small?

Its simple. if youre out there already, have some decency and play for 20 something minutes. Odds to get injured are one in a hundred. Otherwise youre making it just about the money. Its a pathetic culture where everything is just about the money.

Its not even about him getting hurt. He obviously won't get hurt in 8 seconds of doing nothing. Its about the fact he "played" 67 games when he really didn't. Its a bullshit loophole move. Fulfill the contract legitimately or don't at all.

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:21 PM
They sat every starter.

It was his employer’s choice to start him and his employers choice to pull him after 8 seconds. He didnt write the lineup then sub himself out. :lol

He did what was asked, and was rewarded for it.

It is so bizarre that people see this any other way.

No they didnt. They started jrue. Its in both their best interests to keep him healthy and let him make his money BUT its a flagrant cheating of the initial contract, on both sides. Playing 8 seconds of a game isnt really playing a game. You're just blatantly ignoring reality to argue otherwise.

Charlie Sheen
04-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Jrue was healthy and available to play the game. The Bucks did not want him to play this game. If the Bucks sit him, the union files a grievance AND free agents aren't going to trust that organization. The Bucks found a solution where both parties get what they want.

FultzNationRISE
04-11-2022, 02:25 PM
No they didnt. They started jrue. Its in both their best interests to keep him healthy and let him make his money BUT its a flagrant cheating of the initial contract, on both sides. Playing 8 seconds of a game isnt playing a game. You're just blatantly ignoring reality to argue otherwise.

The spirit of the clause is clearly about availability.

Holiday was available.

The people PAYING him dont want to take any chances with injury so they rewarded him for meeting the availability threshold then held him out to prepare for the playoffs.

Whom do you think is being cheated here?? The people who GAVE him the contract are the ones who made this decision :lol

What youre saying makes no sense at all.

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 02:27 PM
Poor person offended by more marketable skills resulting in more money? Who could have seen that coming….

Talking about integrity and a karmic imbalance for taking a bonus your job(helmed by a billionaire) agreed to help you qualify for….

Do you have any idea how much money that bonus(even after taxes) would generate in a decent fund over time?

Most of the nba is from poor backgrounds. Or at least have poor relatives. The ones with any sense should be trying to raise multiple generations out of poverty. That 8 second bonus in a child’s account will take care of that child and that childrens children if you raise the kid to understand compound interest.

These guys can throw it all away or erase generations of poverty. Whatever they choose maximizing income and minimizing risk is the start point. Team decides it doesn’t need the game but you can get 300K to walk out there the right decision for your family and the team is to do so.

Cant be worried what some fan who in many cases is better off than you started thinks about it.

Team says rest….and it will pay you enough for a grandchild to have basic living income off the interest down the line. But nah. Put me in coach. Let me put some extra jumps and sprints on my knees going into the playoffs because I’m ****ing stupid….

Yea I’m gonna have to deal with goat tier skilled Kyrie in a series in a few days and can use all the rest I can get…but let me run around for a while risking injury for absolutely nothing to justify the bonus the company decided I deserve without it. That’s the smart thing to do….

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 02:29 PM
So your problem is that someone at work is there for the money? And that says something about society?

And your point is that every person should strive to work the least possible amount of time for the maximum possible compensation in every possible situation?

Basketball is more than just 'work'. Its also a sport, a culture and an arena where values are fostered. Get paid sure, but its not the only thing that is at stake here.

What would have been the problem with Jrue playing 20 minutes in the game? He would have shown respect to the concept of labour and the game itself. We established the injury risk is minimal.

More importantly, why should him playing 8 seconds to get 300 thousand dollars somehow warrant praise and celebration? Because it sure seems to be.

SouBeachTalents
04-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Poor person offended by more marketable skills resulting in more money? Who could have seen that coming….

Talking about integrity and a karmic imbalance for taking a bonus your job(helmed by a billionaire) agreed to help you qualify for….

Do you have any idea how much money that bonus(even after taxes) would generate in a decent fund over time?

Most of the nba is from poor backgrounds. The ones with any sense should be trying to raise multiple generations out of poverty. That 8 second bonus in a child’s account will take care of that child and that childrens children if you raise the kid to understand compound interest.

These guys can throw it all away or erase generations of poverty. Whatever they choose maximizing income and minimizing risk is the start point. Team decides it doesn’t need the game but you can get 300K to walk out there the right decision for your family and the team is to do so.

Cant be worried what some fan who in many cases is better off than you started thinks about it.

Team says rest….and it will pay you enough for a grandchild to have basic living income off the interest down the line. But nah. Put me in coach. Let me put some extra jumps and sprints on my knees going into the playoffs because I’m ****ing stupid….

Yea I’m gonna have to deal with goat tier skilled Kyrie in a series in a few days and can use all the rest I can get…but let me run around for a while risking injury for absolutely nothing to justify the bonus the company decided I deserve without it. That’s the smart thing to do….
I don't think it's a surprise which posters are arguing against this :lol

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:30 PM
The spirit of the clause is clearly about availability.

Holiday was available.

The people PAYING him dont want to take any chances with injury so they rewarded him for meeting the availability threshold then held him out to prepare for the playoffs.

Whom do you think is being cheated here?? The people who GAVE him the contract are the ones who made this decision :lol

What youre saying makes no sense at all.

Its the cheating of basic logic. 8 seconds of a game to be pulled immediately isn't playing a game. If I go into work, have a cup of coffee and leave I didn't work that day. Same principle applies here. Just because both sides colluded on a loophole doesn't mean it wasn't bullshit. Rich people do stuff like this all the time.

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 02:35 PM
And your point is that every person should strive to work the least possible amount of time for the maximum possible compensation in every possible situation?

Basketball is more than just 'work'. Its also a sport, a culture and an arena where values are fostered. Get paid sure, but its not the only thing that is at stake here.

What would have been the problem with Jrue playing 20 minutes in the game? He would have shown respect to the concept of labour and the game itself. We established the injury risk is minimal.

More importantly, why should him playing 8 seconds to get 300 thousand dollars somehow warrant praise and celebration? Because it sure seems to be.

Unfortunately society has devolved to a point that not being a moron almost is worthy of praise.

If he were stupid enough to listen to people like you instead of doing what’s best for his family AND his team he would deserve criticism.

The man has…and uses his brain. The people in this topic complaining are evidence enough that those things can’t be taken for granted.

FultzNationRISE
Its the cheating of basic logic. 8 seconds of a game to be pulled immediately isn't playing a game. If I go into work, have a cup of coffee and leave I didn't work that day. Same principle applies here. Just because both sides colluded on a loophole doesn't mean it wasn't bullshit. Rich people do stuff like this all the time.

A loophole is something you exploit to someone else’s detriment or in a system someone else created.

It’s not a ‘loophole’ when YOU wrote the contract and youre electing to be generous :lol

PeroAntic

Right, its exactly those 20 minutes that will make the difference about the shape hes in when he faces Kyrie... give me a break, the injury risk is absolutely minimal in such scenario.

Hell, if youre scared he will get injured in 20 minutes, put him 10 minutes. Just dont make a mockery of the whole thing and then act as if it was morally justified.

But the argument here is 'the team decided for him'. As if he cant say look its a joke to play 8 seconds, just let me play some actual minutes because the risk is minimal. But thats american culture for you, as evident by the responses here. Good job, he tricked the system for money. Yayyy!

tpols
Yea I’m gonna have to deal with goat tier skilled Kyrie in a series in a few days and can use all the rest I can get…

Unless ESPN is lying the standings show the Bucks are the 3 seed. So they were ducking the nets anyway. Purposely tanked. This post shows you don't know what you're talking about.

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:37 PM
A loophole is something you exploit to someone else’s detriment or in a system someone else created.

It’s not a ‘loophole’ when YOU wrote the contract and youre electing to be generous :lol

What? Loopholes are agreed on by both sides all the time. That's basic corruption. Same way the people who can make money off insider trading have hands in regulation industry. Are you serious? I thought you were woke bro.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately society has devolved to a point that not being a moron almost is worthy of praise.

If he were stupid enough to listen to people like you instead of doing what’s best for his family AND his team he would deserve criticism.

The man has…and uses his brain. The people in this topic complaining are evidence enough that those things can’t be taken for granted.

What is the injury risk if he's to play 10-20 minutes? Tell me please.

Because judging by your absolutist philosophy he could get injured during those 8 seconds too. Hey its a minimal risk, but why risk it, hes doing whats best for his best for his family, right?

What society has devolved into is a place without any higher value apart from money. Thats the problem.

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 02:39 PM
Google has them 2 espn 3. I heard someone say they were ducking the nets but I figured till the play in was done it wasn’t worth really looking into. He’s either guarding Kyrie or Lavine I assume. Either way he likely needs to sit his ass down somewhere.

ShawkFactory
04-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Its not even about him getting hurt. He obviously won't get hurt in 8 seconds of doing nothing. Its about the fact he "played" 67 games when he really didn't. Its a bullshit loophole move. Fulfill the contract legitimately or don't at all.

The fvck are you talking about dude :lol

The money is coming directly from the people who wrote the contract. This is not your tax dollars being exploited.

How can an agreed upon exchange of money from one's pocket to the other be corruption?

Kblaze8855
04-11-2022, 02:44 PM
What is the injury risk if he's to play 10-20 minutes? Tell me please.

Because judging by your absolutist philosophy he could get injured during those 8 seconds too. Hey its a minimal risk, but why risk it, hes doing whats best for his best for his family, right?

What society has devolved into is a place without any higher value apart from money. Thats the problem.

I need to explain to a Derrick Rose fan that every moment has risk?

20 minutes is a lot more of it than 8 seconds not even playing for real.

Far as valuing money…..

Ive been dirt poor and I’ve been in 5 star suites. Trust me. Money is nice. More is better. Better for you better for the kids better for their kids kids. Get rich. **** the people doing little to get themselves there but mad that you did. Get rich enough you can bring a lot of them with you.

tpols
04-11-2022, 02:54 PM
The fvck are you talking about dude :lol

The money is coming directly from the people who wrote the contract. This is not your tax dollars being exploited.

How can an agreed upon exchange of money from one's pocket to the other be corruption?

:biggums:

If a billionaire corporation extends millions to a campaign donation for a candidate to do its bidding is that not a legal transfer of tender? Obviously it is. Doesn't mean it isn't a corrupt act. There are technically legal transfers of money to beat the system done all the time in every facet of high society. It helps they pay the people who regulate them.

Playing 8 seconds of a game isnt playing a game dude. Especially when the individual was purposely pulled.

I'm just saying its a bitch move. The main reason they did it was to duck the 2 seed and potentially the nets. Who aren't locks for anything yet anyway. So the cowardice is double fold.

ShawkFactory
04-11-2022, 02:58 PM
I'm actually going to circle back to this point:

If I go into work, have a cup of coffee and leave I didn't work that day. Same principle applies here

So if your employer, who pays you, says "you've been doing great work recently, why don't you go home for the day once you finish your coffee. I'll still pay you"....that's an issue to you if the employee goes home?

Like..you think that's corruption?

ArbitraryWater
04-11-2022, 03:06 PM

you lost respect, why exactly?

tpols
04-11-2022, 03:07 PM
I'm actually going to circle back to this point:

So if your employer, who pays you, says "you've been doing great work recently, why don't you go home for the day once you finish your coffee. I'll still pay you"....that's an issue to you if the employee goes home?

Like..you think that's corruption?

I never even said this particular instance was corruption. The question posed to me when mentioning the term loophole... as if playing 8 seconds is playing a game... was

And that's clearly not true. Loopholes are often decided on by both sides for mutual benefits. In this case there is no true corruption... just a sort of cowardice. But the first time I brought up the word corruption was to respond to a person acting like the taking advantage of loopholes can't be cooperated on.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 03:51 PM
I need to explain to a Derrick Rose fan that every moment has risk?

20 minutes is a lot more of it than 8 seconds not even playing for real.

The risk is minimal in the case of 20 minutes. Rose played 40 minutes per game and got injured in the end of a blowout. Thats a mistake by the coach. This is a decision by the player. There was no indication that Holiday is fatigued or injury risk.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 03:52 PM
you lost respect, why exactly?

He didn't honor the game and made a statement that money is the only thing that matters. Its the most important thing but not the only thing. Considering the actual odds to get injured if he played 10-20 minutes, he should have played.

BarberSchool
04-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Bucks ownership includes Goldman Sachs guys and hedge fund managers. FU@K THEM. Glad Jeru the Damaja got that extra quarter mil (after taxes) from them.

tontoz
04-11-2022, 04:55 PM
Luka got hurt in the last game. It can happen and if it does management doesn't feel smart.

Holiday didn't earn $306k in 8 seconds. He earned it in 66 games + 8 seconds. It was a season long incentive.

Axe
04-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Jeez, that amount is good enough for people to buy a full option trim range rover. :ohwell:

But honestly, jrue has been a very good pick-up for the bucks last year. Thought he would have ended up being a bust in that acquisition but he performed well in the postseason when it truly mattered the most, in spite of his age.

tontoz
04-11-2022, 05:09 PM
Jeez, that amount is good enough for people to buy a full option trim range rover. :ohwell:

But honestly, jrue has been a very good pick-up for the bucks last year. Thought he would have ended up being a bust in that acquisition but he performed well in the postseason when it truly mattered the most, in spite of his age.

He is only 31. That is still prime for a lot of guys.

But yeah he was a big key to them winning the title last year. This isnt the time to get stingy on incentives.

What are the alternatives? Deliberately sit him out when he is healthy enough to play so he won't make the incentive, pissing off the team as they are getting ready to defend the title? Or should they have played him a lot of minutes risking injury in a game they clearly wanted to lose? :lol

ArbitraryWater
04-11-2022, 05:13 PM
He didn't honor the game and made a statement that money is the only thing that matters. Its the most important thing but not the only thing. Considering the actual odds to get injured if he played 10-20 minutes, he should have played.

honor the game? the Bucks wanted to lose.

its 300 thousand euro's.

its not his fault the Bucks did not care for this game.

he was available.

thats what that clause was for.

this is very simple.

its hard to imagine some people get mad at this.

kawhileonard2
04-11-2022, 05:18 PM

:oldlol:

ShawkFactory
04-11-2022, 05:21 PM

Why? It was a meaningless game

Axe
04-11-2022, 05:21 PM
He is only 31. That is still prime for a lot of guys.

But yeah he was a big key to them winning the title last year. This isnt the time to get stingy on incentives.

What are the alternatives? Deliberately sit him out when he is healthy enough to play so he won't make the incentive, pissing off the team as they are getting ready to defend the title? Or should they have played him a lot of minutes risking injury in a game they clearly wanted to lose? :lol
I never implied anything that he should have avoided or go on playing for a significant time in that season finale. :oldlol:

And the bucks seemed to intentionally lose that game anyway because they were trying to duck the nets in the first round. Too bad tho the seedings are already set and another matchup is inevitable if the nets win tomorrow.

tontoz
04-11-2022, 05:27 PM
I never implied anything that he should have avoided or go on playing for a significant time in that season finale. :oldlol:

And the bucks seemed to intentionally lose that game anyway because they were trying to duck the nets in the first round. Too bad tho the seedings are already set and another matchup is inevitable if the nets win tomorrow.

I wasn't directing my entire post to you, just the age part.

The rest of my post was about the topic in general.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 05:29 PM
honor the game? the Bucks wanted to lose.

its 300 thousand euro's.

its not his fault the Bucks did not care for this game.

he was available.

thats what that clause was for.

this is very simple.

its hard to imagine some people get mad at this.

If the bucks didn't honor the game thats their problem.

Im just saying if it was me, I would have said 'coach let me play for at least 10 minutes, because I feel its unethical to start the game and go out after few seconds just to pick up my check. I will be careful not to get injured'.

But thats just me, because for me, its more than 'just a job'

Axe
04-11-2022, 05:36 PM
I wasn't directing my entire post to you, just the age part.

The rest of my post was about the topic in general.
Oh sorry lmao.

I just believe that when players reach age 30 many of them are reaching the point where they're starting to go downhill already tho not all of them. There are several who may still get hot on occasions or able to prove their usefulness to their teams which is always good to see.

tontoz
04-11-2022, 05:48 PM
I suspect CJ McCollum did something similar. He warned bettors about it ahead of time. He only played 6 minutes.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/pelicans-warriors-cj-mccollum-minutes-bets

bladefd
04-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Blame the idiots who wrote this incentive into the contract, not Jrue. Same with Westbrick contract - blame the idiots in OKC for giving him supermax, not Westbrick for accepting it.

Too many executives are just idiots who shoot themselves in their own foot for reasons unknown. They give up too many assets or money to players who are not deserving, but it is their fault. Idiots like Pelinka bid against themselves even when they have all of the leverage.

ArbitraryWater
04-11-2022, 08:35 PM
If the bucks didn't honor the game thats their problem.

Im just saying if it was me, I would have said 'coach let me play for at least 10 minutes, because I feel its unethical to start the game and go out after few seconds just to pick up my check. I will be careful not to get injured'.

But thats just me, because for me, its more than 'just a job'

thats a severely different stance than losing respect for him because apparently its all about the money.

i love this example you set though.

basically, you would virtue signale in order for it to sit right with you.

you TOO would play to get the extra 300 thousand, but you would hang another 10 minutes onto it, because then apparently it shows your "love for the game" or that its "more than a job".

Jrue was available for this game. And that availability was rewarded by the team.

So they put him in for a couple of seconds so he would get the money he earned by being available 67 times.

Thats all there is to it.

tontoz
04-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Blame the idiots who wrote this incentive into the contract, not Jrue. Same with Westbrick contract - blame the idiots in OKC for giving him supermax, not Westbrick for accepting it.

Too many executives are just idiots who shoot themselves in their own foot for reasons unknown. They give up too many assets or money to players who are not deserving, but it is their fault. Idiots like Pelinka bid against themselves even when they have all of the leverage.

Yeah I would say most GMs are clueless. We had a blithering idiot named Grunfeld in charge for over a decade. His bad moves were so common it was mind boggling he kept his job for so long.

PeroAntic
04-11-2022, 08:51 PM
thats a severely different stance than losing respect for him because apparently its all about the money.

i love this example you set though.

basically, you would virtue signale in order for it to sit right with you.

you TOO would play to get the extra 300 thousand, but you would hang another 10 minutes onto it, because then apparently it shows your "love for the game" or that its "more than a job".

Jrue was available for this game. And that availability was rewarded by the team.

So they put him in for a couple of seconds so he would get the money he earned by being available 67 times.

Thats all there is to it.

Hey i would play 30 minutes, because its one freaking game and Im not fatigued, so it would have to be very bad luck to get injured. But apparently its justified by injury scare, so I brought it down to ten. 8 seconds though, youre disrespecting the game.

NBAGOAT
04-11-2022, 08:57 PM
arguing about this seems a bit pointless. The spirit of the bonus is they pay him more if he's healthy. Jrue had pretty much no health issues this year and the front office thought he deserved the bonus so they did this. the risk of injury is not that small as we saw with luka.