PDA

View Full Version : Does Adrian Dantley have a case for being the best ISO scorer ever?

Im Still Ballin
04-15-2022, 04:37 AM
He has to be right up there, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2VNWvoSDqc

Round Mound
04-15-2022, 11:27 AM
yup

ralph_i_el
04-15-2022, 12:22 PM
Absolutely clinical. My dad mimicked his game and it's the reason why I couldn't beat him one on one until I was 25 :lol simple but effective.

tontoz
04-15-2022, 12:25 PM
He has been going to the same gym as me for years. Never talked to him but seems pretty low key.

FultzNationRISE
04-15-2022, 03:44 PM
No, because Lebron exists.

John_Connor
04-15-2022, 04:03 PM
his form is like a wnba player. he would get blocked today with that slow ass set shot from 15 feet

the Pistons get rid of him cause he had empty stats. was always thought of in a negative way for the longest time till he finally got in the hall of fame in 2008 cause everyone forgot he was an overrated cancerous bum

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-15-2022, 04:37 PM
Yeah I agree with Connor. His style is like a 1950s player or something.

You can't be that great if a team gets rid of you and then wins back to back rings.

I guess he could be a Bradley Beal type but definitely not the greatest anything

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2022, 04:59 PM
his form is like a wnba player. he would get blocked today with that slow ass set shot from 15 feet

the Pistons get rid of him cause he had empty stats. was always thought of in a negative way for the longest time till he finally got in the hall of fame in 2008 cause everyone forgot he was an overrated cancerous bum

watch some more clips. If you came out to block his shot he'd blow by you

John_Connor
04-15-2022, 05:02 PM
watch some more clips. If you came out to block his shot he'd blow by you

"blow by".. with what? that turtle side step and hesitation shit. all the defenders had to do was body him up and hand check his ass. it was like they were afraid to touch him. I guess people took nights off on defense whenever jordan wasn't playing cause that shit looked soft as hell

:roll:

3ba11
04-15-2022, 05:02 PM
Dantley put the Pistons over the top and they beat the 88' Lakers except for the bad call in Game 7.

They traded him for another great scorer in Aguirre because he was Isiah's buddy but the Pistons acknowledged in the Bad Boys documentary that AD put them on a championship level and allowed them to beat Bird and nearly Magic

tontoz
04-15-2022, 05:05 PM
Yeah I agree with Connor. His style is like a 1950s player or something.

You can't be that great if a team gets rid of you and then wins back to back rings.

I guess he could be a Bradley Beal type but definitely not the greatest anything

Keep in mind Dantley was 33 when they traded him and was out of the league two years later. They traded him for Aguirre who was a good bench scorer for them but that's all. Aguirre was 29.

Similar players really but one was younger.

John_Connor
04-15-2022, 05:09 PM
Dantley put the Pistons over the top and they beat the 88' Lakers except for the bad call in Game 7.

They traded him for another great scorer in Aguirre because he was Isiah's buddy but the Pistons acknowledged in the Bad Boys documentary that AD put them on a championship level and allowed them to beat Bird and nearly Magic

zekes game 6 is why they nearly beat the Lakers. dantley wasn't good for their team chemistry

Pointguard
04-15-2022, 05:15 PM
Yea, scoring wise he had everything, productivity and efficiency wise, midrange or post up. And he could do it in the playoffs. In the clip above, his post prime Piston days, the way the great defenders couldn't do anything with him, after his prime, is amazing because at 6'5 tall defenders just didn't phase him: McHale, Cooper, Rodman, Pippen, Tree Rollins, Kareem, Dennis Johnson all were at a loss. Yet his game still is nondescript. Not a super first step. You can't play up on him and you can't lay off him either. He had no hops. He will go around or over 7 footers. Put quick defenders on him and he gets around them. You have to love his physics and how he manipulates defenders as everybody jumps too soon when guarding him and few have their balance intact. And he does this without a great cross over.

tpols
04-15-2022, 05:36 PM
"blow by".. with what? that turtle side step and hesitation shit. all the defenders had to do was body him up and hand check his ass. it was like they were afraid to touch him. I guess people took nights off on defense whenever jordan wasn't playing cause that shit looked soft as hell

The guy averaged 30+ ppg on elite efficiency in the golden era of basketball. Its hilarious that you think you of all people a scrawny ass white dude with no talent could do anything to stop this guy.

I don't like certain players. Doesn't mean I'm gonna act like I personally can stop them.

ShawkFactory
04-15-2022, 06:38 PM

Why didn't they?

Do you think it was a league-wide thing where everyone decided that they weren't going to touch him and just let him go off?

Im Still Ballin
04-16-2022, 01:49 AM
You can absolutely make a case that he's the best pure scorer ever. That seven-year stretch in Utah was insane:

- 29.6 PPG
- 63.2% TS (+9.4 rTS%)

Nobody else in league history combines that level of volume scoring with that level of efficiency. Charles Barkley and Kevin McHale both had great efficiency marks, but not quite the same volume of scoring. Curry, Harden, and KD probably are the closest over the last half decade.

PeroAntic
04-16-2022, 01:42 PM
That jumper is ugly af