PDA

View Full Version : Winning time on HBO: show reaction, review, discussion

Duderonomy
04-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Pretty damn good show, are you watching it?

Kblaze8855
04-15-2022, 04:43 PM
I decided I wasn’t going to. I hate documentary(ish) shows about living people who will tell you it’s bs. It’s essentially fan fiction. Imagine watching dialogue supposedly of your story knowing you don’t even speak that way. Just seems weird to me.

That said I keep hearing it’s amazing and the subject matter is obviously up my alley so I’m sure I’ll check it out. It’s just hard to suspend disbelief when I remember so many of those guys. I’ll be watching actors not appreciating the character.

Like imagine a show about Shaq and Kobe in 20 years. You remember them too well to ever see an actor as either of them right? It would never feel right. You can’t really cast Shaq. And you can’t cast Magic. Not well enough to buy into it.

FultzNationRISE
04-15-2022, 04:49 PM
I decided I wasn’t going to. I hate documentary(ish) shows about living people who will tell you it’s bs. It’s essentially fan fiction. Imagine watching dialogue supposedly of your story knowing you don’t even speak that way. Just seems weird to me.

That said I keep hearing it’s amazing and the subject matter is obviously up my alley so I’m sure I’ll check it out. It’s just hard to suspend disbelief when I remember so many of those guys. I’ll be watching actors not appreciating the character.

Like imagine a show about Shaq and Kobe in 20 years. You remember them too well to ever see an actor as either of them right? It would never feel right. You can’t really cast Shaq. And you can’t cast Magic. Not well enough to buy into it.

If they used his son I could see it feeling authentic.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-15-2022, 04:52 PM
It's too much of a parody and they break the 4th wall. Too much Adam McKay stench on it.

Still pretty funny if you don't take it that seriously.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-15-2022, 04:53 PM
If they used his son I could see it feeling authentic.

:roll: Tranny Magic instead of showtime Magic I guess

John_Connor
04-15-2022, 04:58 PM

don't watch the show if you like Jerry west or Kareem. it's good if you like Magic and Jerry buss

I think there's a ton of truth to it and it all seems very fair to each guy. when you involve the actual people it turns into a last dance type thing. those are more fiction than winning time IMO.. regardless if most of what was said about jordan and his teammates were true. the only problem is it left out all the good about his teammates and all the bad about MJ.. winning time shows both sides of everyone and I truly do believe Jerry west and kareem were assholes like they're portrayed

I give it an 8/10

bison
04-15-2022, 05:31 PM
i heard there is a lot of s*x and nudity. if thats the case then count me out!

bladefd
04-15-2022, 08:33 PM

None of us truly know how they were in real life though. We just remember & know what we know as we see it on camera or quotes from articles/books. Of course it would be fiction no matter how you portrayed them.

iamgine
04-15-2022, 08:54 PM
It is a pretty damn good show indeed!

Not sure about its accuracy, I just assume it's not very accurate. But I still enjoy it very much.

Druckenmiller
04-16-2022, 12:00 AM
i heard there is a lot of s*x and nudity. if thats the case then count me out!

Dang, okay A.C.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-16-2022, 12:55 AM
Its actually been entertaning. The actor who plays Magic clearly did his research.

Not a fan of Logo's goofy-like portrayal. He was never arrogant to the point it made him seem clownish.

Sure we don't know these athletes on a personal level, but by all accounts (interview and testimony), that wasn't Jerry West. :lol His character is overly dramatized.

ImKobe
04-16-2022, 01:07 AM
Wasn't too sure about it through the first couple of episodes with how they portrayed West & Kareem but it's getting there now. Heard it got approved for season 2 as well so I guess this one ends with the 1980 Finals. The casting is perfect.

Duderonomy
04-18-2022, 11:21 AM
Its actually been entertaning. The actor who plays Magic clearly did his research.

Not a fan of Logo's goofy-like portrayal. He was never arrogant to the point it made him seem clownish.

Sure we don't know these athletes on a personal level, but by all accounts (interview and testimony), that wasn't Jerry West. :lol His character is overly dramatized.

Yeah West is outspoken but reserved with his feelings he's definitely not going to throw furniture around break trophies. The showtime Lakers are the only team that could be a soap opera of that era. Buss really was a genius with how he managed egos and personalities the success he had really came in unconventional ways. Trading Shaq and bringing back Phil after he had a burnt-out with Kobe were poker moves that other owners wouldn't make.

ShawkFactory
04-18-2022, 01:45 PM
Love it. John C Reilly as Jerry Buss is perfect.

Kblaze8855
04-19-2022, 12:27 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2204192155230314.jpeg

Get this series the **** outta my face

tontoz
04-19-2022, 12:35 PM
I would say this series would be great for young people. Having watched the real thing I have a feeling i would be eyerolling pretty frequently.

ShawkFactory
04-19-2022, 12:48 PM
I would say this series would be great for young people. Having watched the real thing I have a feeling i would be eyerolling pretty frequently.

Not entirely sure that isn't the point.

It doesn't really take itself seriously.

getting_old
04-19-2022, 01:07 PM
It's been a fun watch for a C's fan from those years.

Highly recommended as entertainment, fans should enjoy it.

They didn't have to make things up, they didn't lose to Detroit in the road trip before going to the Gardens... which was mid-January..

And i'm not sure any person portrayed is happy with how they have been portrayed, not in the slightest...

Looking forward to Wood's meltdown before the Finals begin.

bladefd
04-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Kareem ripped the show for being sensational nonsense (not his words).

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r

WhiteKyrie
04-19-2022, 02:01 PM
Kareem ripped the show for being sensational nonsense (not his words).

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r

Not that surprising from that unlikable dick

Kblaze8855
04-19-2022, 02:31 PM

Any chance you would like a show about you and your friends and co workers made by someone who doesn’t know you and fabricated everything down to how you speak?

Thats the problem with doing these things about living currently known people. It’s too obviously bullshit. Even fans know the subject matter too well not to notice.

Why even call it a story about a time and events then just fabricate them totally? It’s hard to do with somewhat recent events.

John8204
04-19-2022, 05:18 PM

I hope in season 2 we get Wilt Chamberlain and his decade of trolling Kareem's stuck up ass.

It's a great show I think they've got enough material for 5 seasons

tontoz
04-19-2022, 05:29 PM
For those who were too young to remember, the Laker-Celtics rivalry was seriously epic. The hype around their Finals matchups was unprecedented at the time.

Before Bird/Magic came along playoff games were on tape delay.

7. Tape-delay. It seems inconceivable in 2019 that an NBA playoff game, never mind a Finals contest, might be shown on anything but live TV. Nope. The league didn’t have much leverage in the late 1970s, before Magic Johnson and Larry Bird arrived to help goose interest and ratings. Networks forced fans to stay up late to watch games that were off before the telecasts tipped off. The practice continued into the ‘80s, with four of six Finals games in 1981 held till 11:30 p.m. ET. Michael Jordan was already creating new fans when the last tape-delayed game, Game 3 of the West finals between the Lakers and Rockets, aired on Friday, May 16, 1986.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-things-have-been-ghosted

ArbitraryWater
04-20-2022, 07:17 PM
https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/jerry-west-wants-apology-and-more-for-winning-time-portrayal/

bladefd
04-20-2022, 08:05 PM
https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/jerry-west-wants-apology-and-more-for-winning-time-portrayal/

Is this really serious?

“The portrayal of NBA icon and L.A. Lakers legend Jerry West in ‘Winning Time’ is fiction pretending to be fact — a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family,” Skip Miller, an attorney for West, said according to ESPN.

"Great" distress to his family?? They don't have to watch..

Tbh, I don't know what kind of personality West had back in the 50s/60s/70s so idk if it's lawsuit worthy.

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 08:08 PM
The people who knew him have been between saying it’s absolute bullshit and that they recognize elements but it’s like Jerry on speed. Nobody has said it’s accurate far as I can tell.

bladefd
04-20-2022, 08:12 PM
The people who knew him have been between saying it’s absolute bullshit and that they recognize elements but it’s like Jerry on speed. Nobody has said it’s accurate far as I can tell.

HBO don't even consider it documentary so I don't know what basis they would sue on.. The case would probably get tossed

getting_old
04-22-2022, 01:53 PM

West has always been given credit for inventing the 80s Lakers, the show takes him down a dozen pegs.

West has his own very unique personality, read his "auto"biography to see what he sees himself as about.

Kareem has decided to try to be a likeable person the last decade or so, which is welcome.

gonzaldo
04-27-2022, 11:51 AM

but it doesnt try to be
its a comedy, farce and so on and its pretty obvious. you have to be pretty dimwitted to watch it and think - those are real people, one of them levitates ffs. its like someone complaining they did not like how they wre represented in space jam.

thanks to this thread i decided to give it a chance and its the most entertaining sports movie/tv show ive ever watched.

ImKobe
04-27-2022, 11:59 AM
but it doesnt try to be
its a comedy, farce and so on and its pretty obvious. you have to be pretty dimwitted to watch it and think - those are real people, one of them levitates ffs. its like someone complaining they did not like how they wre represented in space jam.

thanks to this thread i decided to give it a chance and its the most entertaining sports movie/tv show ive ever watched.

Exactly. I get why West or the Buss family would have an issue with how they're portrayed though. Casuals will watch the show and think that a lot of that shit's true lol. Kareem is actually portrayed really well in this series, maybe it's not totally accurate but he's one of the more likeable characters, same with West. Jerry West's character gets better by the episode. Not sure why they needed to add the scene with Dr. Buss sexually assaulting a nurse in the last episode though.

It's annoying how they make up boxscores and act like the Lakers lost to some of these teams in the RS, none of that makes the show any better IMO. Maybe it's more dramatic for the casuals but I think it hurts the show a bit in the long run. It could have been a little more accurate basketball-wise.

Gotterdammerung
04-27-2022, 07:39 PM
I am really digging this show, despite the fact that it does take many liberties with the actual facts like which games, and how close they were, who made the winning shot, etc.

That it is farce is pretty obvious, and should moot any likelihood for taking the show as canon.

bladefd
04-27-2022, 08:05 PM
Jerry West vowed to take this case of his portrayal to the US Supreme Court. Damn, he is extremely pissed off :lol

Supreme Court will just toss it out... This is not a documentary