PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Durant legacy gets viewed if he loses in the first round to Boston.

coastalmarker99
04-18-2022, 08:47 AM
Outside of KD playing alongside three future Hall of Famers (Steph, Draymond, Klay) + FMVP Iggy, in the other 11 seasons (not counting the injury year of course).

This is what he's done in the playoffs:

1 Finals Appearance
4 Conference Finals Appearances

One overlooked positive is that he's only had one 1st Round exit in the playoffs back in 2009-10.

Always been an elite scorer at 29.4 PPG (104 games) with 46.2 FG% & 33.7 3P%

He will always be viewed as an elite player during his career.

But I personally think KD joining the Warriors saved his legacy, and the only damage it did was momentary.

8Ball
04-18-2022, 08:49 AM
If KD can't win without being with Warriors people will never put him inside the top 10. Its that simple.

"He only won when he joined a 73 win team" will stick with him till he dies.

warriorfan
04-18-2022, 09:12 AM
Leaving the Warriors ruined his legacy. No one cares about a team being too good when it’s all said and done. It’s just salty fans complaining. Do all those Lakers and Boston teams get discredited for being too stacked? No. No one gives a shit and they are considered some of the most successful dynasties. KD could have stayed with the Warriors and picked up 5 or 6 championships and then let people deal with it.

tontoz
04-18-2022, 09:17 AM
Leaving the Warriors ruined his legacy. No one cares about a team being too good when it’s all said and done. It’s just salty fans complaining. Do all those Lakers and Boston teams get discredited for being too stacked? No. No one gives a shit and they are considered some of the most successful dynasties. KD could have stayed with the Warriors and picked up 5 or 6 championships and then let people deal with it.

I dont think leaving the Warriors by itself ruined his legacy. Leaving the Warrios to join KYRIE of all people isn't a good look. He was already a known head case and has acted like a head case.

KD has played well for the Nets but tying himself to Kyrie was just nuts.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 09:20 AM
Outside of KD playing alongside three future Hall of Famers (Steph, Draymond, Klay) + FMVP Iggy, in the other 11 seasons (not counting the injury year of course).

1 Finals Appearance

One overlooked positive is that he's only had one 1st Round exit in the playoffs back in 2009-10.

But I personally think KD joining the Warriors saved his legacy, and the only damage it did was momentary.
I really don't think that's true. Enough time passes, sure, 50 years after he's retired he'll have the two titles/FMVP's on his resume, but for those who followed his career? Those titles just didn't move the needle historically, and frankly, he'll need to win with Brooklyn (or somewhere else) for those titles to gain legitimacy. There's a reason he seemed so unhappy in Golden State and left despite being set up to be title favorites for another 5 years, he knew he was never going to get the credit he thought he deserved.

As for this year, sure, he'll get clowned by some, but losing in an injury plagued year in the first round as the 7 seed isn't that damaging.

AirBonner
04-18-2022, 09:38 AM
KD joined a 73 win team. His legacy is cemented

8Ball
04-18-2022, 09:44 AM

I disagree.

Draymond Green, his own teammate, said to Durant what everyone was thinking. That Durant was a bitch for joining their 73 win team that Durant was up 3-1 against and lost to. Draymond said to durants face that warriors never needed Durant.

That shit cuts deep.

John8204
04-18-2022, 09:49 AM
Before he left the Warriors I thought it was obviously

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. CPIII
5. Harden
6. Leonard

Now since Durant put together a superteam and flopped and watching Curry and Paul perform on non-superteams

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. CPIII
4. Durant
5. Giannis
6. Leonard
7. Harden

Durant should be on the level with Hakeem, Dr. J, and Moses in that top 20, but if he doesn't win multiple titles with the team he assembled he's going to be on the same level as Barkley, Baylor, Shaq, KG and Pettit in the 20's-30 range. And if he continues to fail in Brooklyn he might actually drop out of the top 30.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 09:50 AM
I disagree.

Draymond Green, his own teammate, said to Durant what everyone was thinking. That Durant was a bitch for joining their 73 win team that Durant was up 3-1 against and lost to. Draymond said to durants face that warriors never needed Durant.

That shit cuts deep.
And I don't even disagree with his point that nobody cares about how stacked Magic & Bird's teams were, but what Durant did was unprecedented. People always try to equate it to LeBron going to Miami, but what KD did even makes that pale in comparison, he joined a team that was already a legitimate potential dynasty without him. The only move that comes close historically is Moses joining Philly, but even they never won a title together, or averaged 70 wins the previous 2 years prior to him joining, not to mention Moses didn't join them a month after losing to them h2h while blowing a 3-1 lead.

hold this L
04-18-2022, 09:50 AM
Before he left the Warriors I thought it was obviously

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. CPIII
5. Harden
6. Leonard

Now since Durant put together a superteam and flopped and watching Curry and Paul perform on non-superteams

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. CPIII
4. Durant
5. Giannis
6. Leonard
7. Harden

Durant should be on the level with Hakeem, Dr. J, and Moses in that top 20, but if he doesn't win multiple titles with the team he assembled he's going to be on the same level as Barkley, Baylor, Shaq, KG and Pettit in the 20's-30 range. And if he continues to fail in Brooklyn he might actually drop out of the top 30.

CP isn't even in the same league as KD, get out of here with that nonsense. And Giannis is possibly this PS away from passing CP overall and will 100% be way ahead of him in the rankings by the time his career is done.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 09:52 AM
CP isn't even in the same league as KD, get out of here with that nonsense. And Giannis is possibly this PS away from passing CP overall and will 100% be way ahead of him in the rankings by the time his career is done.
He also has Shaq in the 20-30 range, so he's clearly not a poster worth having a legitimate discussion with.

John8204
04-18-2022, 09:56 AM

Chris Paul has elevated every team he's ever played for into a playoff/chip based team. He led the worst team I've ever seen make the playoffs in a stacked conference (OKC) And all the best players that played with Paul got significantly worse when they stopped playing with him. He is clearly in my eyes a top five PG, and for me the eye test puts him ahead of a number of guys in the league.

8Ball
04-18-2022, 09:58 AM
And I don't even disagree with his point that nobody cares about how stacked Magic & Bird's teams were, but what Durant did was unprecedented. People always try to equate it to LeBron going to Miami, but what KD did even makes that pale in comparison, he joined a team that was already a legitimate potential dynasty without him. The only move that comes close historically is Moses joining Philly, but even they never won a title together, or averaged 70 wins the previous 2 years prior to him joining, not to mention Moses didn't join them a month after losing to them h2h while blowing a 3-1 lead.

That's the narrative now. But if Durant wins with Kyrie then the narrative will change and people won't skewer Durant like they do now.

Same with Bron. His haters spewed tons of shit until he won in 2016. Now, after 2016, nothing they say about 2010 decision matters.

John_Connor
04-18-2022, 09:59 AM
durants pretty old. he's been in his prime since like 2011 and isn't nearly as quick as he used to be. he settles for fall away threes all the time now instead of attacking. the Achilles injury robbed him of a lot of athleticism even though he's still pretty mobile

him losing this year would be like lebron losing in 2019 except durant went farther

John8204
04-18-2022, 09:59 AM
He also has Shaq in the 20-30 range, so he's clearly not a poster worth having a legitimate discussion with.

Because I saw Shaq play against Hakeem and David Robinson and I know Hakeem is slightly better than Shaq was slightly better than Robinson. People like Shaq because he's a celebrity but his slow fat ass would have gotten wrecked in todays NBA.

PP34Deuce
04-18-2022, 10:35 AM
Durants on the back 9. He's similar to 2019 lebron. The chase downs are much..less...still very mobile but he can't break down defenses like he used to.

People forget 33 year old superstars are on back 9. Harden and westbrook are too

hold this L
04-18-2022, 11:01 AM
Chris Paul has elevated every team he's ever played for into a playoff/chip based team. He led the worst team I've ever seen make the playoffs in a stacked conference (OKC) And all the best players that played with Paul got significantly worse when they stopped playing with him. He is clearly in my eyes a top five PG, and for me the eye test puts him ahead of a number of guys in the league.

He hasn't elevated any team into a chip team outside of the Suns. Which is why the first time he ever made a conference finals was when he was 32 years old after joining Harden as his Robin, who had already done it.

warriorfan
04-18-2022, 11:31 AM
I disagree.

That shit cuts deep.

It’s just normal sh!t talk. Everything cuts deep to KD. KD basically let a bunch of Twitter trolls dictate his own destiny, now he’s dealing with the consequences.

ImKobe
04-18-2022, 11:37 AM
Durants on the back 9. He's similar to 2019 lebron. The chase downs are much..less...still very mobile but he can't break down defenses like he used to.

People forget 33 year old superstars are on back 9. Harden and westbrook are too

More like 2015 Lebron. Durant has another 2-3 solid years in him, and his game should age a little better. Barring injuries, he's still a top 5 player for a while here.

As far as losing in the 1st round goes, I don't think it hurts him much at all. Boston's a #2 seed, it's not like it would be a massive upset if the Nets lost, especially since Harden quit on them and they're forced to play a contender in the 1st round because of injuries & Kyrie not taking the vaccine + Ben Simmons being a p*ssy and sitting out the RS and probably most of this series. I guess it could be used against him if he plays like sh*t in most of these games like he did in Game 1.

8Ball
04-18-2022, 11:43 AM
It’s just normal sh!t talk. Everything cuts deep to KD. KD basically let a bunch of Twitter trolls dictate his own destiny, now he’s dealing with the consequences.

There is shit talk, and there shit you never say.

Draymond would never utter the same shit talk to Steph Curry.

You know it, I know it.

Kblaze8855
04-18-2022, 11:46 AM
Long term people would remember it as much as they remember Moses and Doc losing to Bernard Kings little brother and a (very good) crackhead in the first round while trying to repeat in 84. Meaning….if they know it happened at all they won’t care.

There is a really short list of things that really hit a resume hard. This isn’t one of them.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 11:46 AM

You know it, I know it.
And let's be real, what Draymond said, along with the trolls on social media, affected KD to the extent it did because there was truth to it.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 11:47 AM
Long term people would remember it as much as they remember Moses and Doc losing to Bernard Kings little brother and a (very good) crackhead in the first round while trying to repeat in 84. Meaning….if they know it happened at all they won’t care.

There is a really short list of things that really hit a resume hard. This isn’t one of them.
I wonder how many posters on here even know that the '81 Lakers lost as the defending champs to a 40 win team in the first round, with Magic going 2/14 in the series deciding game.

warriorfan
04-18-2022, 12:00 PM

You know it, I know it.

That is a straw man argument because Curry wouldn’t be a little bitch and get himself in that situation in the first place.

Of course there is shit you never say, what Dray said to KD doesn’t fall into that category.

No one looks back at the Celtics and Lakers and tries to discredit their greatness for being too stacked. It just doesn’t happen.

Only little whiny bitch children complain about that sort of thing, a lot of them are big LeBron stans which is ironic because he literally started this shit when he joined up with the 2 best players in his conference in their primes. That move was unprecedented at the time.

Basically no one cares that the Warriors were “too stacked” except butt blasted LeBron stans who won’t even be following basketball in a few years.

r0drig0lac
04-18-2022, 12:04 PM

1 Finals Appearance

no doubt, he's not good enough to win on a "normal" team

Kblaze8855
04-18-2022, 12:17 PM
I wonder how many posters on here even know that the '81 Lakers lost as the defending champs to a 40 win team in the first round, with Magic going 2/14 in the series deciding game.

The way people react to every off game these days the whole hall of fame would get shit on constantly.

8Ball
04-18-2022, 12:30 PM
That is a straw man argument because Curry wouldn’t be a little bitch and get himself in that situation in the first place.

Of course there is shit you never say, what Dray said to KD doesn’t fall into that category.

No one looks back at the Celtics and Lakers and tries to discredit their greatness for being too stacked. It just doesn’t happen.

Only little whiny bitch children complain about that sort of thing, a lot of them are big LeBron stans which is ironic because he literally started this shit when he joined up with the 2 best players in his conference in their primes. That move was unprecedented at the time.

Basically no one cares that the Warriors were “too stacked” except butt blasted LeBron stans who won’t even be following basketball in a few years.

You may be right 20 years from now that no one will care and just compare the 2015-2019 Warriors as another dynasty like the lakers or celtics in the 80s.

But Durant's own teammate said that to his face that he was a bitch for joining their stacked team.

What matters is that Durant cares what people think. Not only "LeBron stans".

Phoenix
04-18-2022, 12:33 PM

Even if they did, as the fact they weren't alive or watching back then it would go over their heads. It's like a gen Z who can read up on Bird's playoff history now and not blink an eye at him having a couple of shit finals games 40 years ago in contrast to his historical stature. Then you look at something like the 2011 finals where people to this day give Lebron shit for, and it provides fertile ground for current fans but in the year 2050 nobody will give a shit that Lebron dropped 8 points one of those games. Same for Durant this year, on a team that never quite came together due to 'reasons', losing to what looks like a better and more cohesive Celtics team isn't going to move the needle unless he plays like outright shit for the series. Even if he had 4 'subpar' games like last night in terms of scoring %, nobody but todays trolls will care 10 years from now.

John8204
04-18-2022, 12:36 PM
He hasn't elevated any team into a chip team outside of the Suns. Which is why the first time he ever made a conference finals was when he was 32 years old after joining Harden as his Robin, who had already done it.

Durant and CPIII both played with Harden...who had the better team and who did a better job? While it's true he didn't elevate a team to the title...he has taken four teams that shouldn't have made the playoffs and got them into the playoffs with one team making the final.

ArbitraryWater
04-18-2022, 12:44 PM
He's a joke without playing on 'chip teams.

ArbitraryWater
04-18-2022, 12:47 PM

nah KD is fine.

33 is nothing.

KD will drop off at like 38.

RRR3
04-18-2022, 01:03 PM
It shouldn’t affect it at all the Nets were ****ed by injuries and Kyrie being a moron that’s not his fault.

3ba11
04-18-2022, 01:09 PM
It's an indictment on Nash - I can't believe these guys get Celtics will eventually have superior capacity for offense and get hot (blow the Nets' doors off)

AlternativeAcc.
04-18-2022, 02:06 PM
Depends how he plays.

If he goes off like he did vs. the Bucks it boosts his legacy.

If he goes off like Curry in the finals without Durant he drops off 200 spots.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-18-2022, 02:15 PM
It's a player that's on his level in Tatum with the #1 SRS team. I don't think it's that big of a legacy hit, it will just prove once again he's not the best player in the league as he never has been.

NBAGOAT
04-18-2022, 02:24 PM
yea i wouldnt care too much. celtics are loaded but not everyone realizes because it's mostly defense first guys. nets' supporting cast isnt good missing 55 million in salary in simmons and harris. Ofc he has to play well unlike he did in game 1

theman93
04-18-2022, 02:24 PM
Idk how big of a hit it will be, but it’s unquestionably a stain.

This is the player he wanted to play with (Kyrie), with the coach he wanted to play for (Nash), with the organization he wanted to sign with. This is his bed and he should lay in it, especially if he gets bounced out of the 1st round when going in to it was universally agreed upon he’s the best player in the series.

Manny98
04-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Nothing changes although I would be disappointed if he doesn't ever deliver a championship to Brooklyn

Just 1 is all I am asking for if not this year then next year

LeBron was the best in the world at 35 so I am hoping KD can continue to dominate into his mid 30s

8Ball
04-18-2022, 06:26 PM
If Ben Simmons comes back and plays well Nets could win this year. I don't put much faith in them winning without Ben.

j3lademaster
04-18-2022, 06:57 PM
I really don't think that's true. Enough time passes, sure, 50 years after he's retired he'll have the two titles/FMVP's on his resume, but for those who followed his career? Those titles just didn't move the needle historically, and frankly, he'll need to win with Brooklyn (or somewhere else) for those titles to gain legitimacy. There's a reason he seemed so unhappy in Golden State and left despite being set up to be title favorites for another 5 years, he knew he was never going to get the credit he thought he deserved.

As for this year, sure, he'll get clowned by some, but losing in an injury plagued year in the first round as the 7 seed isn't that damaging.Respecfully disagree. We can't look at 50 years in the future like we do 50 years before, and assume they'd be the same just because it's the same amount of time. Modern shit is too well documented. I don't think MJ has the mythological aura he carries if he played in a social media era.

j3lademaster
04-18-2022, 07:01 PM
Nothing changes although I would be disappointed if he doesn't ever deliver a championship to Brooklyn

Just 1 is all I am asking for if not this year then next year

LeBron was the best in the world at 35 so I am hoping KD can continue to dominate into his mid 30sIf you don't think KD's legacy takes a hit without winning at least one championship outside of GS, then you just don't think he's that good of a player and have low expectations. Imagine how much Lebron would get clowned if his only 2 rings were from joining a 73 win team. Hell, some clown him now with 4 rings and having been to a decade's worth of finals.

j3lademaster
04-18-2022, 07:02 PM
Depends how he plays.

If he goes off like he did vs. the Bucks it boosts his legacy.

If he goes off like Curry in the finals without Durant he drops off 200 spots.That's fair, but that won't be reality. He needs that ring.

Manny98
04-18-2022, 07:03 PM
If you don't think KD's legacy takes a hit without winning at least one championship outside of GS, then you just don't think he's that good of a player and have low expectations. Imagine how much Lebron would get clowned if his only 2 rings were from joining a 73 win team. Hell, some clown him now with 4 rings and having been to a decade's worth of finals.
Yes if he doesn't deliver a championship for Brooklyn it would be a massive failure and blow to his overall legacy

Shogon
04-18-2022, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z49whgBNCyE

Edit Steph's face / voice over Shaq and KD's name over "Kobe."

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 07:09 PM
Respecfully disagree. We can't look at 50 years in the future like we do 50 years before, and assume they'd be the same just because it's the same amount of time. Modern shit is too well documented. I don't think MJ has the mythological aura he carries if he played in a social media era.
I actually don't necessarily disagree with this. It's obviously much easier to forget things from the past when there's very little footage like the 60's & 70's, while KD played in the internet/social media era. So it'll be much easier to track things about KD's career in 50 years than it is currently for fans currently about someone like Oscar. Generally, I think people only care about what happened in their lifetime, so even with much more access to information fans just might not have enough interest to research a guy who played 50 years ago.

However, I think for any real fans of the NBA, it'll be impossible for them not to put 2 & 2 together and see the Warriors won 140 games & a title over 2 seasons before Durant signed with them.

AlternativeAcc.
04-18-2022, 07:22 PM
That's fair, but that won't be reality. He needs that ring.

Thats true if you're talking about the general public.

I dont agree with how most guys evaluate players though. Like I never penalized Durant in OKC for not winning.. his supporting casts were vastly overrated. People looked at westbricks stats and said he had a ton of help. But he really didn't. Rings are hugely predicated on luck and circumstances. I personally don't think his legacy takes a hit if he loses while playing amazing basketball. It's just not how I see it.

BUT I think this series in particular is close enough to where his greatness should win them the series. It would take a pretty big collapse from irving and the rest of the cast for them to lose with Durant playing great.

Real Men Wear Green
04-18-2022, 07:35 PM
It changes nothing but if they lose to the Celtics this year what reason would there be to think they will ever win the East? That would mark three seasons since him and Irving signed.

SouBeachTalents
04-18-2022, 07:38 PM
It changes nothing but if they lose to the Celtics this year what reason would there be to think they will ever win the East? That would mark three seasons since him and Irving signed.
I don't disagree it's a disappointment, but tbf injuries made their first season together irrelevant and derailed the team last year. Assuming Simmons comes back, you don't think the Nets would be able to win the title?

Manny98
04-18-2022, 08:37 PM
Having Simmons and Harris back helps!

Shogon
04-18-2022, 09:40 PM

Even with everyone getting a year older, if the Nets can get through an entire season healthy, there is no reason they shouldn't win the title next year.

I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that. Their only question mark is center and the rest are so good it doesn't even matter.

Looking like they probably won't because of Simmons, but they very well could do it this year.

Shogon
04-18-2022, 09:48 PM
The Nets should be talking about winning a minimum of 3 or 4 championships in a row minimum the moment they acquired Harden, had everyone stayed healthy and not been emotionally crippled.

But hey life is never that simple, and woulda, coulda, shoulda are too often the case.

If they don't get at least 1 title with the crew now it is nothing other than a complete and utter failure and a huge mark on Kyrie's, KD's & Ben's careers.

They are easily the most top heavy team in the entire league by a mile and on top of that, they've got plenty of shooting to surround them.

They are the most talented team by a mile.

Health is the only thing hold them back.

Real Men Wear Green
04-18-2022, 09:53 PM
I don't disagree it's a disappointment, but tbf injuries made their first season together irrelevant and derailed the team last year. Assuming Simmons comes back, you don't think the Nets would be able to win the title?

Because they will be a year older with the Celtics and Bucks younger and better. I will elaborate in my reply to another poster.

Real Men Wear Green
04-18-2022, 09:58 PM

If you hold your breath waiting for Simmons to save you you will die. Even when he played he was a choker and now he can't play. I am not saying that he is faking it I am saying that that dog don't hunt.

kawhileonard2
04-18-2022, 10:17 PM
Lebron lost in the first round with a few top 75 players ever in there prime and then missed the playoffs with another 4 top 75 players all time on the squad in there primes.

SATAN
04-19-2022, 12:33 AM
If it's like last season the NBA media will gloss over it and claim he's the best player in the league again. Even if he jacks up another airball in crunch time. He might go down as the GOAT at this rate.

RRR3
04-19-2022, 12:38 AM
If you don't think KD's legacy takes a hit without winning at least one championship outside of GS, then you just don't think he's that good of a player and have low expectations. Imagine how much Lebron would get clowned if his only 2 rings were from joining a 73 win team. Hell, some clown him now with 4 rings and having been to a decade's worth of finals.
This is true but it's only because people are dumb in how they view players. Durant is obviously a championship caliber first option, and he never needed to win a ring to prove that, people are just ridiculous about this stuff due to the media.

coastalmarker99
04-20-2022, 09:59 PM
The Celtics are 40-1 in franchise history going up 2-0 in a series with their only loss occurring in the 2018 ECF to Lebron.

Durant will now have to pull something special out of the hat to get the Nets over the line in this series.

8Ball
04-20-2022, 10:02 PM
The Celtics are 40-1 in franchise history going up 2-0 in a series with their only loss occurring in the 2018 ECF to Lebron.

Durant will now have to pull something special out of the hat to get the Nets over the line in this series.

LeBron went GOAT mode in 2018 playoffs.

I don't think Kevin Durant has that in him for this series.

I hope he does, Nets losing in 1st round would be really bad for Durant legacy.

SouBeachTalents
04-20-2022, 10:04 PM
Well, with these first 2 games, even if he plays well the rest of the way, it's taking a hit if the Nets lose this series. He's just lucky this is the first round and won't be remembered like it would be in a later series.

Real Men Wear Green
04-20-2022, 10:22 PM
Simmons just watched his team go through two tough losses. If he is the type of competitor that it takes to win a chamois he plays in game 3... really he would have been playing already but whatever.

Axe
04-20-2022, 10:29 PM
Even wilt himself was winless against the Cs in that scenario.

FultzNationRISE
04-23-2022, 10:12 PM
Guess we’ll find out.

coastalmarker99
04-23-2022, 10:14 PM
Kevin Durant’s career in the playoffs:

With Golden State: 38-10 (.79.2)

With OKC & BK: 57-49 (.53.8)

SouBeachTalents
04-23-2022, 10:17 PM

This is why going to Golden State was a legit waste of his time legacy wise. He has 2 titles nobody cares about, got hurt in the 3rd year, then lost an entire season of his prime to injury.

ArbitraryWater
04-23-2022, 10:18 PM

yo,

lmao

Johnny32
04-23-2022, 10:20 PM
Lebron lost in the first round with a few top 75 players ever in there prime and then missed the playoffs with another 4 top 75 players all time on the squad in there primes.

mouth breather.

97 bulls
04-24-2022, 12:33 AM
Why don't we ask Peyton Manning?

https://youtu.be/CNE3ssHuF30

SouBeachTalents
04-24-2022, 12:39 AM
Why don't we ask Peyton Manning?

https://youtu.be/CNE3ssHuF30
That's the only athlete I've ever seen get clowned AFTER winning a championship :lol

NBAGOAT
04-24-2022, 01:52 AM
there's going be some kd cant play consistently well in the playoffs without a stacked team/curry drawing all the attention type claims from haters. Before people just blamed westbrook being a terrible shooter for KD getting so much defensive attention but you cant say that for Kyrie

red1
04-24-2022, 05:29 AM
deck-rigging league-ruining bitch.

97 bulls
04-24-2022, 05:51 AM
That's the only athlete I've ever seen get clowned AFTER winning a championship :lol

His own mama laughed at him :lol

97 bulls
04-24-2022, 05:56 AM
there's going be some kd cant play consistently well in the playoffs without a stacked team/curry drawing all the attention type claims from haters. Before people just blamed westbrook being a terrible shooter for KD getting so much defensive attention but you cant say that for Kyrie

Durants legacy will always be tainted in my opinion. Simply because of how he went about winning those championships. Not only did he join the best team in the league, but he joined the team that beat him. And he was the leader on that team and they were on the road to being a perennial championship contender themselves.

The biggest punk move I've ever seen in sports.

Jasper
04-24-2022, 09:33 AM
wiggins vs Durant

Warriors make them both all-stars.... (nough said)

DMAVS41
04-24-2022, 10:48 AM
Until he carries a team to the title, he'll never have the legacy his fans and Durant himself thinks he deserves. He'll go down as one of the best ever, but he's currently over-rated on most lists in my opinion...which I think likely changes over time as enough fans and basketball people realize how easy life was on the Warriors and how Durant (if he never wins on his own) just doesn't have the career to warrant top 15 rankings like he currently gets on some lists.

This series isn't that big of a deal in terms of his legacy, but obviously it isn't a good look if he goes out in 4 playing this poorly.

tpols
04-24-2022, 10:57 AM
You guys realize the Celtics are the 2 seed right? The only reason Durant deserves blame right now is because of how he's been playing. He wasted a legendary game 1 from kyrie that wouldve made this a totally different series.

CelticBaller
04-24-2022, 10:59 AM
You guys realize the Celtics are the 2 seed right?
So now that matters? Nets fans sure acted like we were bums :lol

97 bulls
04-24-2022, 11:04 AM
You guys realize the Celtics are the 2 seed right? The only reason Durant deserves blame right now is because of how he's been playing. He wasted a legendary game 1 from kyrie that wouldve made this a totally different series.

Durant and Irving have enough talent that had they played a whole season, you'd think they'd be the best team in the East. This is notva typical 2 seed vs 7 seed series talent wise.

j3lademaster
04-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Until he carries a team to the title, he'll never have the legacy his fans and Durant himself thinks he deserves. He'll go down as one of the best ever, but he's currently over-rated on most lists in my opinion...which I think likely changes over time as enough fans and basketball people realize how easy life was on the Warriors and how Durant (if he never wins on his own) just doesn't have the career to warrant top 15 rankings like he currently gets on some lists.

This series isn't that big of a deal in terms of his legacy, but obviously it isn't a good look if he goes out in 4 playing this poorly.Agree with everything but the last part. If he gets swept playing like this, it will look like: chokejob in 2016, frontrunning 2 rings in 17-18, injured in the finals, injured, great playoff series against the bucks with injured Harden and no expectations, and now this. It will look like he can only play with extreme frontrunning and safety nets, or no expectations and chokes otherwise.

tpols
04-24-2022, 11:11 AM
So now that matters? Nets fans sure acted like we were bums :lol

I didn't act like you guys are bums. Tatum is out playing every body on the court.

tpols
04-24-2022, 11:12 AM
Durant and Irving have enough talent that had they played a whole season, you'd think they'd be the best team in the East. This is notva typical 2 seed vs 7 seed series talent wise.

Well thats sort of the point. If kyrie and Durant had all year to build chemistry this is likely a different series. They lost game 1 by a miracle and were up 15+ in game 2. They are choking.

DMAVS41
04-24-2022, 11:34 AM
Agree with everything but the last part. If he gets swept playing like this, it will look like: chokejob in 2016, frontrunning 2 rings in 17-18, injured in the finals, injured, great playoff series against the bucks with injured Harden and no expectations, and now this. It will look like he can only play with extreme frontrunning and safety nets, or no expectations and chokes otherwise.

The pattern is a big deal, I agree. This series in and of itself, not combined with the other stuff, isn't a huge deal. My point was that some people will make too big of a deal out of it...hell, there have already been comparisons in the mainstream to Lebron in 07. So that just means Kobe in 04, Dirk in 07, and Lebron in 11...are coming.

I'm not arguing this is meaningless, but legacy wise...playing like shit in a first round series, again...just talking about this singular series, is not defining a legacy in any noteworthy way.

Now, where I will agree...is that Durant doesn't have the success on his own teams like Kobe, Dirk, and Lebron did to make their worst series not defining. It will just depend on how much credit the basketball community wants to give Durant for the Warriors. So far, it has been a lot...but my bet is that starts changing with time.

We all know KD is great. We all know he's one of the best ever. But with him...it is very difficult to know just how truly great he is because his track record in circumstances that aren't perfect...are not noteworthy to date.

SouBeachTalents
04-24-2022, 11:45 AM
I'm not arguing this is meaningless, but legacy wise...playing like shit in a first round series, again...just talking about this singular series, is not defining a legacy in any noteworthy way.
I agree, Durant's actually lucky this is just a first round series. Had this been later in the playoffs it'd be exponentially worse for his legacy.

It will just depend on how much credit the basketball community wants to give Durant for the Warriors. So far, it has been a lot...but my bet is that starts changing with time.
This I don't really agree with. Despite putting up absolutely insane Finals numbers and winning FMVP, I felt like KD never got that much credit for winning those titles, he was always seen as riding the Warriors coattails. At minimum, he undoubtedly didn't get close to the credit other superstars did after winning titles.

We all know KD is great. We all know he's one of the best ever. But with him...it is very difficult to know just how truly great he is because his track record in circumstances that aren't perfect...are not noteworthy to date.
I 100% believed this after his Golden State run. Outside of 2012 KD had been kind of erratic in the playoffs on OKC, and his efficiency nosedived almost every postseason. But then he went out and dominated the Bucks last year with injuries to Kyrie & Harden, having that absolutely insane Game 5 then dropping 48 in Game 7. If this dude's toe is behind the line on that 3 he could've very well won the title last year. That's what makes this series so perplexing. KD had barely had a bad playoff game the last 5 years, now he's struggled mightily the entire series.

RRR3
04-24-2022, 11:51 AM
I agree, Durant's actually lucky this is just a first round series. Had this been later in the playoffs it'd be exponentially worse for his legacy.

This I don't really agree with. Despite putting up absolutely insane Finals numbers and winning FMVP, I felt like KD never got that much credit for winning those titles, he was always seen as riding the Warriors coattails. At minimum, he undoubtedly didn't get close to the credit other superstars did after winning titles.

I 100% believed this after his Golden State run. Outside of 2012 KD had been kind of erratic in the playoffs on OKC, and his efficiency nosedived almost every postseason. But then he went out and dominated the Bucks last year with injuries to Kyrie & Harden, having that absolutely insane Game 5 then dropping 48 in Game 7. If this dude's toe is behind the line on that 3 he could've very well won the title last year. That's what makes this series so perplexing. KD had barely had a bad playoff game the last 5 years, now he's struggled mightily the entire series.
He was getting single coverage against the Bucks because Bud is a moron. That series is over quick if they guard him like the Celtics are.

97 bulls
04-24-2022, 12:34 PM
Well thats sort of the point. If kyrie and Durant had all year to build chemistry this is likely a different series. They lost game 1 by a miracle and were up 15+ in game 2. They are choking.

They've been playing together for 2 years. That's more than enough time.

tpols
04-24-2022, 12:46 PM
They've been playing together for 2 years. That's more than enough time.

Nah they were hurt when they first joined missed the whole year together, got hurt last year in the playoffs (looked great prior to that) and this year the bullshit vaccine mandates separated them all year long.

DMAVS41
04-24-2022, 01:30 PM

The Athletic recently released their top 75 players ever and had Durant at 13.

https://theathletic.com/3137873/2022/02/23/the-nba-75-the-top-75-nba-players-of-all-time-from-mj-and-lebron-to-lenny-wilkens/

To me, that is getting an awful lot of credit for his time on the Warriors.

Axe
06-13-2022, 11:56 PM
What about if the warriors win another game in the finals?

Shooter
06-13-2022, 11:58 PM
What about if the warriors win another game in the finals?

:lebronamazed: