PDA

View Full Version : How the hell does Poole not make a finalist as MIP?

hold this L
04-18-2022, 09:36 AM
https://c.tenor.com/ZUO_iNUfUwUAAAAC/jordan-poole-poole.gif

I.. do not understand. Some context, JP was in the G-league in the middle of last season. Then towards the last 20 games, he came back to the team and started playing really well. He then continued to get better and is the 2nd best offensive player on a contender for this season. Yet, he can't even make a finalist this season. :facepalm

tontoz
04-18-2022, 09:41 AM
Playing more minutes isn't improving. When you look at his per 36 numbers they haven't improved that much.

theman93
04-18-2022, 09:55 AM
What has he improved upon so drastically?

Akeem34TheDream
04-18-2022, 10:01 AM
Playing more minutes isn't improving. When you look at his per 36 numbers they haven't improved that much.

You can't be serious lol.

theman93
04-18-2022, 10:25 AM

His eFG% has improved by 1.3%

His TS% has improved by 1.7%

His PER has improved by 1.0

He's averaging 6.5 more ppg because he's taking 4.6 more shots per game.

Is this a guy who has taken some big jump or is he just taking more shots on a slight uptick in efficiency?

tontoz
04-18-2022, 10:37 AM

I am very serious. He averaged 22 pts per 36 last year and this year. His TS is up almost 2%. Yawn

He has no case for MIP.

Full Court
04-18-2022, 10:50 AM
I think Lebron should get MIP. Look at his stats this year compared with last season.

hold this L
04-18-2022, 10:51 AM
His eFG% has improved by 1.3%

His TS% has improved by 1.7%

His PER has improved by 1.0

He's averaging 6.5 more ppg because he's taking 4.6 more shots per game.

Is this a guy who has taken some big jump or is he just taking more shots on a slight uptick in efficiency?
Because people usually shoot worse when they start taking more shots and playing more meaningful minutes?

theman93
04-18-2022, 11:03 AM
Because people usually shoot worse when they start taking more shots and playing more meaningful minutes?

That's not necessarily true at all. Often times they become even better.

I think Poole is a nice player, but he's streaky. He didn't really become more consistent.

Stephonit
04-18-2022, 11:15 AM
They'll make it up to him by awarding him FMVP.

ImKobe
04-18-2022, 11:24 AM

Have you seen him play post-ASB?

25/4/5 on 48/43/92 splits in the last 20 games of the season, 17 straight games of 20+ points. That's a significant improvement from being a role player to assuming the #1 option role after Steph's injury. He increased his efficiency (from 58% to ~60%TS) despite carrying a much bigger offensive load this season.

I think Poole is a nice player, but he's streaky. He didn't really become more consistent.

17 straight 20+pt games while increasing his efficiency to damn near 50/40/90 in the last two months would say otherwise.

I think the counter-argument should be that he only did it for a 2-month stretch. He was streaky early on as a role player and had to take a smaller role as a bench player once Klay returned, but when Steph got injured and they needed him to be the man, he more than exceeded whatever expectations people had for him. Might not be enough to win MIP with some other really good candidates out there though but you can see that he went up multiple levels by the end of the season. He did average 18 a game before he got benched for Klay so it's not like he was terrible early on but that's probably why hes not a finalist.

hold this L
04-18-2022, 11:27 AM

Yeah.. all stars and superstars become better. He is still streaky though, I'll give you that. But he's noticeably better than last season. He was so poor, he went to the G-league to get to the level they needed him to be that season. and ImKobe said, his end to the season was amazing.

tontoz
04-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Have you seen him play post-ASB?

25/4/5 on 48/43/92 splits in the last 20 games of the season, 17 straight games of 20+ points. That's a significant improvement from being a role player to assuming the #1 option role after Steph's injury. He increased his efficiency (from 58% to ~60%TS) despite carrying a much bigger offensive load this season.

17 straight 20+pt games while increasing his efficiency to damn near 50/40/90 in the last two months would say otherwise.

MIP is a season long award not a post ASB award.

theman93
04-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Yeah.. all stars and superstars become better. He is still streaky though, I'll give you that. But he's noticeably better than last season. He was so poor, he went to the G-league to get to the level they needed him to be that season. and ImKobe said, his end to the season was amazing.

Nah, that would mean Mo Bamba is an all star or superstar in the making. I can promise you that ain't true lol. The G league argument is fair but MIP takes the entire season in to account, not just the remaining 20%. I don't think he's more deserving than the other finalists of Morant, Garland and Murray at all.

ImKobe
04-18-2022, 11:38 AM
MIP is a season long award not a post ASB award.

I get that, but he's improved significantly. It's not his fault that they benched him for Klay when he was putting up 18 a game early in the season while the Warriors looked like the best team in the league. He's definitely improved enough to be a MIP candidate, but the benching hurts his case.

Taurus
04-18-2022, 02:32 PM
While I understand Ja made a big leap this year, him being a finalist for MIP doesn’t sit well with me

NBAGOAT
04-18-2022, 02:47 PM
he should be on there, picking ja is a bit ridiculous. Poole's assists went up significantly too. wendell carter has a better case however. He's been so good bulls fans completely regret the vucevic trade now

ShawkFactory
04-18-2022, 02:59 PM
While I understand Ja made a big leap this year, him being a finalist for MIP doesn’t sit well with me

I feel like his teammate is being criminally underrated here.

Axe
04-18-2022, 06:16 PM
Imagine if poole made it as MIP this season. That only shows how much curry has help compared to last year.

ClipperRevival
04-19-2022, 08:25 PM
This guy came out of nowhere, he clearly plays with a confidence like he's the best player on the court. Can't teach that.

AlternativeAcc.
04-19-2022, 09:51 PM
This guy came out of nowhere, he clearly plays with a confidence like he's the best player on the court. Can't teach that.

Already better than Curry in all facets. Its awesome

Axe
04-19-2022, 10:04 PM
Already better than Curry in all facets. Its awesome
No excuses. Curry's team is stacked once again, thanks to andre iguodala too.

Spurs m8
04-19-2022, 10:29 PM
And he wonders why the forum calls him a dingus...

Axe
04-19-2022, 10:41 PM
Craptacular m8 ranting instead of breastfeeding its baby. Lousy parent. :cry: