PDA

View Full Version : Chris Gatling was a fun player to watch

Im Still Ballin
04-19-2022, 05:49 PM
With long, McHale-like limbs, Chris Gatling had an array of moves that made him a potent scorer. Coming off the bench, 'The Energizer' had a reliable jump hook and a Dirk-like step-back jump shot. As his career went on, he was able to extend his shooting range somewhat.

Fun fact: Chris is one of only seven players to make the all-star team coming off the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovCgSwFFRg

RogueBorg
04-19-2022, 09:18 PM
Chris Gatling was a solid player, one of those long forgotten players. Good to see him get a mention here. I have an Excel-based basketball game that I was playing earlier between the 1992-'93 Warriors and Nets, Gatling was with the Warriors and was coming in for Tyrone Hill and Billy Owens, gave me 13 points and 8 rebounds in 18 minutes.

HoopsNY
04-19-2022, 10:56 PM
Gatling was a scrub. He reminded me of John Wallace on the Knicks. Put him in Iso on the low block, let 'em score, and he'll get some buckets. He was good for a spark off the bench, but didn't provide impact in any meaningful way.

Spuddywebby
04-19-2022, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately for him, he is most remembered for Shawn Kemp throwing it down on him. Those Warrior teams were always a legit center away from being a contending team. That was back when the league was center dominated and they could never get a guy that could go up against the bigs in the league, they always seemed to have an undersized center.

HoopsNY
04-19-2022, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately for him, he is most remembered for Shawn Kemp throwing it down on him. Those Warrior teams were always a legit center away from being a contending team. That was back when the league was center dominated and they could never get a guy that could go up against the bigs in the league, they always seemed to have an undersized center.

I remember he had a plate in his head IIRC lol

BarberSchool
04-20-2022, 12:58 AM
This dude’s entire legacy is getting posterized by Early Kemp.

If Billy Owens never got hurt, nobody would even know who Gatling was.

Spuddywebby
04-20-2022, 10:25 AM
Billy Owens was such a problem in college. I thought dude was going to become what Lebron became.

Im Still Ballin
04-20-2022, 11:41 AM
Gatling was a scrub. He reminded me of John Wallace on the Knicks. Put him in Iso on the low block, let 'em score, and he'll get some buckets. He was good for a spark off the bench, but didn't provide impact in any meaningful way.

Fun player to watch, though.

jayfan
04-20-2022, 11:42 AM
Gatling was a decent player. Getting posterized by Kemp is not his legacy. More than anything, he was known for wearing a headband. Back in the day, he was the only player wearing one, and he'd get clowned for it.