PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal in your back yard?

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 06:00 PM
People these days have watched everything possible and try to create new moves to fit the rules as they evolve. Usually people go by the incredibly lenient nba rules designed specifically so you can’t say their players are traveling or whatever at the moment. So things like this get created and stir people up online:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FemaleDecimalBlackmamba-size_restricted.gif

If you watch the ref breakdown of a similar move done by….of course:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnfoldedPointedColt-size_restricted.gif

it isn’t exactly a violation for the other guy to make that jump stop, choose his pivot, and take that extra step.

But I feel like most everywhere but the nba it would be.

So I won’t take us down the usual “Is it a violation” thing complaining about modern players cheating. If the league they’re in says it’s fine it’s fine….whatever. I’m asking you….

ISH 3 on 3 tournament 2025 Vegas…Highwhey pulls that top move out and scores the easy bucket on 3ball who insists it’s a violation with his teammates Tpols and Kenny in agreement…..you’re the ref.

Do you allow it?

warriorfan
04-20-2022, 06:10 PM
If highwhey pulled that move he would probably fall through the hardwood.

ArbitraryWater
04-20-2022, 06:15 PM
Lmao wtf

thats not legal anywhere

FultzNationRISE
04-20-2022, 06:25 PM
Edit: Nvm I see what youre saying about the technical similarity. Im not sure the guy in the video can lift his back foot at the end tho. Altho I have no idea really.

But the bottom line is highwhey aint doin any of that.

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 06:26 PM
I don’t know. His name is mdwbasketball on Instagram and he does this on purpose. He finds wild looking ways to stay barely within the nba rule book and lets people fight about if it’s legal then posts examples of nba players doing it to show he’s right. Some of them look like jokes but aren’t technically illegal. Let me post one to show you what I mean….

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 06:37 PM
So this was a recent thing he came up with:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SolidMetallicDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 06:38 PM
He’s immediately told that can’t happen in the nba.

He breaks it down like this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureScratchyCatfish-size_restricted.gif

A dribble is not discontinued because you change hands at the top(Kyrie does it all the time…looks like a glitch but it’s legal). You can legally gather through the legs and going gather to launch is also legal. So that’s his explanation. 3 hours after he posted it this happened:

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 06:39 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CompleteHideousHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

Does the traditional gather make Obi’s move legal?

Someone intentionally being a dick can do a lot within the rules.

ShawkFactory
04-20-2022, 06:44 PM
I mean I’d let it go on a fast break where he’d score anyway. But that first gif is stupid.

Even if he has an argument as to why it’s legal it’s still a chicken shit way to play. So I’d probably stop.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-20-2022, 06:52 PM
I think you can plant and take a huge leap like that. But he travels when he takes that extra step after the fact. He would have to shoot or dunk that in after jumping like that, he can't take that extra step.

If he just hook shot after the jump, i think thats good. But instead he takes a 3rd step which is travel.

Spurs m8
04-20-2022, 06:57 PM
That first one LOL

no way

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 07:19 PM
That first one LOL

no way

It’s more legal than half the shit we see. The ref not only let this go the nba official Twitter released a statement explaining how it was legal:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KlutzyCoarseChameleon-size_restricted.gif

Spurs m8
04-20-2022, 07:26 PM
It’s more legal than half the shit we are. The ref not only let this go the nba official Twitter released a statement explaining how it was legal:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KlutzyCoarseChameleon-size_restricted.gif

Yeah I agree, but the ones they let go in the NBA are ridiculous too.

It's weird, I knew these were travels when I was 10 years old

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 07:28 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KeenImpracticalChameleon-size_restricted.gif

Full Court
04-20-2022, 07:48 PM
In my back yard, pretty much everything is legal.

Except flopping.

Spurs m8
04-20-2022, 08:01 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KeenImpracticalChameleon-size_restricted.gif

How does his brain even do this?lol

He should be so far past this

tpols
04-20-2022, 08:10 PM
Lebrons actually looked like a legit fake. The other guy was goofy with it and it probably wouldn't stand. That's what I see.

warriorfan
04-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Lebrons actually looked like a legit fake. The other guy was goofy with it and it probably wouldn't stand. That's what I see.

To me if you are going to the basket as a hop gather type of thing then it’s more reasonable. When you do it going backwards to try to fake someone out? No way.

Kblaze8855
04-20-2022, 08:23 PM
The clip he had with the nba ref was saying a hop step doesn’t have any rules on height and I know it doesn’t on direction. The way they call everything a gather today I’m not sure it’s illegal. It’s illegal in 1997 and in any league but in nba it would be now. I’m not sure the nba would call it.

Bronbron23
04-21-2022, 07:48 PM
People these days have watched everything possible and try to create new moves to fit the rules as they evolve. Usually people go by the incredibly lenient nba rules designed specifically so you can’t say their players are traveling or whatever at the moment. So things like this get created and stir people up online:

it isn’t exactly a violation for the other guy to make that jump stop, choose his pivot, and take that extra step.

But I feel like most everywhere but the nba it would be.

So I won’t take us down the usual “Is it a violation” thing complaining about modern players cheating. If the league they’re in says it’s fine it’s fine….whatever. I’m asking you….

ISH 3 on 3 tournament 2025 Vegas…Highwhey pulls that top move out and scores the easy bucket on 3ball who insists it’s a violation with his teammates Tpols and Kenny in agreement…..you’re the ref.

Do you allow it?

Bruh they ain't allowing that in this era nba. That shits ridiculous

90sgoat
04-21-2022, 08:32 PM
That's a travel for sure.

I would like to say that the 2.5 (usually 3) steps is a travel as well, but when I played in the 90s, we had this guy on our team who did that 2.5-3 step to perfection and was not called for it, so probably it was legal, but most guys still did a hard 2 steps only.

warriorfan
04-21-2022, 08:39 PM
The clip he had with the nba ref was saying a hop step doesn’t have any rules on height and I know it doesn’t on direction. The way they call everything a father today I’m not sure it’s illegal. It’s illegal in 1997 and in any league but in nba it would be now. I’m not sure the nba would call it.

I get that. That is just my own personal take. If you are giving some leeway then doing it towards the hoop is more of a legit basketball move, when you do it as a fake fade type deal then it becomes a step too far in my opinion.

Kblaze8855
05-01-2022, 07:51 AM
Ok so…his new experiment….

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DismalConcernedChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

Kblaze8855
05-01-2022, 07:58 AM
Ok.

Is that legal in a game I run?

No.

Based on the nba rules on what a gather is? There being no limit to steps mid dribble as you pick it up? How he launched on the second step after the intentionally extended sideways gather?

Im not….100% sure…the nba wouldn’t allow that after a good look. And yes he had an example of two moves with the same number of steps it just looks less awkward going forward. He’s intentionally chopping his feet mid dribble to piss you off thinking all those steps are illegal.

And to be clear to me they are. But also clear…to the nba they might not be. It’s actually the key to Hardens 3 step stepback. Using the reverse and sideways gather to step one or two times before the legal stepback. Only he’s using the extended dribble of a long pullback to get an extra one….before his legal two steps. And he comes off one foot for the three the way you would for a layup you couldn’t legally land before taking.

Hes obviously clowning but I’m not sure his greater goal isn’t showing how stupid the loose rules are by showing how far you miiiiight be able to quasi-legally stretch them if you wanted to.

He may be the villain we need. Harden or some kid behind him steals some of this like he incorporated Bone Collectors illegal and 1 moves the nba might be forced to tighten up.

CelticBaller
05-01-2022, 08:20 AM
travel

we call carries :lol

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 05:23 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SomberViciousIchidna-size_restricted.gif

?

red1
06-19-2022, 05:30 PM
illegal

no harden bullshit allowed

tpols
06-19-2022, 05:30 PM

Not gonna lie... Me, tree and Kenny could probably take the lot of you. 3ball is 6'7, im 6'4, Kenny is 6ft but hockey built.... I'm just saying.. You guys would look small and I hope you got some serious skill.

red1
06-19-2022, 05:34 PM
no blatant carrying no double dribbling and definitely no 5-step travelling

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 05:43 PM
I have no idea about all that. Even in my prime I was about the height and build of baron Davis while obviously less explosive. I’m that kind of tall that isn’t tall to actual tall people but women think I’m a giant because all the 5 foot 9-10 guys they ever met claim to be 6 feet they meet me and think I’m 6’5”.

Whats funny is nobody on the internet admits to being short. And I’m aware I’m doing it myself this very moment but it seems the shortest people can be online is like 6’. There are at least a few people here old enough to have seen pics of me even as a teen and know I’m not short but if I was…so what.

Most people you meet are under 5’10” but short guys online are like one in a hundred. Anyone reading this prepared to admit they are 5’6”?

Like 58 of you have to be.

tpols
06-19-2022, 05:56 PM
I think we've all posted evidence of our heights. 3ball has a video in sandals where he's clearly obnoxiously tall, I have one from when I was 19 and 40 lbs lighter in the Manhattan NBA store next to life size replicas of Chris Paul, Kobe, and Dirk, and Kenny has posted a lot of content. I don't think any of us is lying.

red1
06-19-2022, 06:06 PM
6'1 and athletic

I have a dawg that's 6'7 300lbs and athletic. won 4 NCAA national championships with OSU playing football.

6'1 is nothing special. but its not short.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 06:14 PM
Im not saying you’re lying nor do I care if you are. I think 3ball said he dunked on Zach Randolph 3 times in a row or something. Whatever. It’s just funny the world is full of short guys and none have internet access. I’m also admitting I see the irony of saying that while purporting to be taller than average myself.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 06:17 PM
I suppose I can see how a basketball fan/playing forum would be taller than average height. I’m sure a forum of bodybuilding enthusiasts would be more heavily muscled than the public on average.

red1
06-19-2022, 06:22 PM
I suppose I can see how a basketball fan/playing forum would be taller than average height. I’m sure a forum of bodybuilding enthusiasts would be more heavily muscled than the public on average.

none of these kids can hoop. I guarantee it.

Im average as hell too I dont practice any of the skills just get mine with hustle.

I think one of the reasons Im a huge NBA fan is because its a social thing I actually go to games and meet up with friends to catch games at their place or catch games eating out grabbing drinks that sort of thing.

and I enjoy the trash talk :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 06:32 PM
Im not even saying I can play. Especially not by todays standards for someone my size. I came up when being taller than other kids made you a center and they made you play in the post. I was athletic but they didn’t really push guard skills on the tall kid back then. These days they correctly assume tall local kids won’t be that tall on a higher level and teach them to be guards and wings.

tpols
06-19-2022, 06:34 PM

This ain't about muscle or weight though. Its about me, three, and Kenny haunting your dreams. Hitting you with skyhooks while you sleep. Bullying you in the post but pulling back out of mercy for silky midrange jumpers. That would be your fate my brother if your hypothetical were to occur. But I wish it wouldn't happen and we could all get along more.

plowking
06-19-2022, 06:34 PM
Everything that youtube/ticktok guy has posted is ridiculous...

The Bron one in the first post is a pretty standard basketball move. Jump stop on both feet up into a shot/pass. Never changes pivots, etc. The one the guy does he jumpstops and takes an extra two steps... Like, no...

I talked about the NBA being stupid with their call challenges since they never overturn the damn thing. Same with trying to justify the Bradley Beal thing on twitter... like bro, you're wrong, and lets move on.

Agree with what someone said about the Seth Curry one. I'm not even sure how your mind as a ball player lets you pick the ball up like that then keep dribbling... lol.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2022, 06:43 PM
This ain't about muscle or weight though. Its about me, three, and Kenny haunting your dreams. Hitting you with skyhooks while you sleep. Bullying you in the post but pulling back out of mercy for silky midrange jumpers. That would be your fate my brother if your hypothetical were to occur. But I wish it wouldn't happen and we could all get along more.

The sky hook is a lot harder to hit than you think it is.

And I’m sure we would get along better than you think. I always tell people to just act like they really act on here but so few do. I’m sure in person it wouldn’t be any conflict. I’d like to think nobody is as crazy in person as 3ball pretends to be on here. Like…you can’t picture him wanting to talk about Lebron at dinner can you?

Overdrive
06-20-2022, 07:51 AM

In the first one he raises his pivot foot and thus it's a travel by the rule book. Back when I started it wasn't allowed to pivot after a hop step. Don't know if it's allowed today. Lebron hopped and jump off both legs.

Overdrive
06-20-2022, 07:58 AM
He’s immediately told that can’t happen in the nba.

He breaks it down like this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureScratchyCatfish-size_restricted.gif

A dribble is not discontinued because you change hands at the top(Kyrie does it all the time…looks like a glitch but it’s legal). You can legally gather through the legs and going gather to launch is also legal. So that’s his explanation. 3 hours after he posted it this happened:

1 legged hop step, he even explains that he switches from his pivot foot. By the rule book this is definately not allowed. If you jump off one leg and land it's an "up and down" traveling violation, taking an extrastep doesn't magically make it legal. The NBA is just too retarded to enforce their own rules.