PDA

View Full Version : Durant's struggles in the east prove how special Lebron is.

coastalmarker99
04-20-2022, 10:05 PM
It's clearly not that easy to make the finals even in the east as we are seeing with Durant.

What Lebron did from 2011 to 2018 was ****ing special and people won't truly appreciate it until he retires.

SouBeachTalents
04-20-2022, 10:06 PM
Bruh, you can't possibly compare the current East to the one LeBron was winning every season :lol

MrFonzworth
04-20-2022, 10:06 PM
So let's pretend the east wasn't historically weak during that period

hold this L
04-20-2022, 10:08 PM
This year is the first time this decade East beat the West during RS. Nice try OP.

HoopsNY
04-20-2022, 10:08 PM
It's clearly not that easy to make the finals even in the east as we are seeing with Durant.

What Lebron did from 2011 to 2018 was ****ing special and people won't truly appreciate it until he retires.

Not exactly, this Boston team is a different beast to any team back then. Boston has been on an absolute tear since the ASB, not to mention their phenomenal defense.

ArbitraryWater
04-20-2022, 10:10 PM
Lets not forget LeBron DESTROYED the 55-win Celtics (51 this year) with Tatum/JB/Rozier/Horford.

Sportal
04-20-2022, 10:12 PM
Should just straight up ban people who make stupid, biased, shit threads like this.

coastalmarker99
04-20-2022, 10:12 PM
"Weak East" has always been a silly argument considering it's the same guy always making them look weak.

I'm open to being corrected but I'm pretty sure even Magic got away with his WC competition being swept under the rug for decades.

until LeBron's weak East narrative gained traction.

Still think it's a striking coincidence how much respect the East teams are getting now that LeBron is no longer there or even good enough to demolish them like he usually would.

8Ball
04-20-2022, 10:14 PM
OP is correct.

9 finals in 10 years is unbreakable record in modern era.

MrFonzworth
04-20-2022, 10:15 PM
OP is correct.

Agreed.

No one is quite as good as lebron at losing on the biggest stage:applause:

Johnny32
04-20-2022, 10:16 PM

lefax.

lebron soloed the same bos core of tatum, brown, smart, horford + rozier lol. he's just better than kd and everyone else in the history of basketball.

8Ball
04-20-2022, 10:17 PM
Agreed.

No one is quite as good as lebron at losing on the biggest stage:applause:

Jordan won't make 10 finals even if you repeat his career 1000x.

SouBeachTalents
04-20-2022, 10:17 PM
"Weak East" has always been a silly argument considering it's the same guy always making them look weak.

I'm open to being corrected but I'm pretty sure even Magic got away with his WC competition being swept under the rug for decades.

Still think it's a striking coincidence how much respect the East teams are getting now that LeBron is no longer there or even good enough to demolish them like he usually would.
The 80's West was arguably even worse, Magic was playing literal 39 win teams in the WCF, something LeBron never came close to doing. But the point remains the East was extremely weak during LeBron's Finals streak, esp after Rose got hurt and the Celtics broke up. How many of the teams LeBron beat from 2013 on do you think would be contenders in the West?

E_Stamkos
04-20-2022, 10:25 PM
Yeah, it was a real grind suiting up against the likes of those unrelenting Brandon Jennings led Bucks teams year after year.

OP speaks truth.

Shooter
04-20-2022, 10:26 PM
OP is correct.

+1

coastalmarker99
04-20-2022, 10:28 PM
Honestly the only team Lebron would have to fear had he stayed in the east and gone to the 76ers was that 2019 Raptors team.

The rest of the teams that went on to win the east such as the heat and Bucks had serious flaws that Lebron and Joel would expose in a playoff series.

Still makes me kind of upset that Lebron went to LA.

As we have been robbed of seeing playoff Lebron outside of one great year in 2020.

Spurs m8
04-20-2022, 10:43 PM
The bronies are really melting down today :roll::roll::roll:

Keep lying, boys...its the only way you can prop your loser hero up

Shooter
04-20-2022, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it was a real grind suiting up against the likes of those unrelenting Brandon Jennings led Bucks teams year after year.

OP speaks truth.

Yes the Jaysome Tatumz and James Butlers of the world are terrifying :lol

3ba11
04-20-2022, 10:46 PM
OP is correct.

Lebron had good runs in 07' and 15' without super-team, but he gave away 2 easy runs in 09 and 10'..

So he could've been dominating the conference every year WITHOUT super-teams, but he lacks the integrity of his gamer son and seeks the cheat code instead... aka the short-cut...

Why develop chemistry and favorite status over many years when you can just get Year 1 favorite status by forming super-teams?

Btw, the 18' Cavs were the only 2-star team in the conference plus a shoal of Finals veterans, so that's a massive edge against 0-star newbie opponents.. Each of his series wins that year were like Jordan beating the 88' Cavs or 90' Sixers... Something like that

coastalmarker99
04-20-2022, 11:09 PM
LeBron’s runs through the East were always looked at in hindsight. WHILE he’s making the run, it’s NEVER seen as a sure thing but once he does makes his run, it’s seen as, oh, of course.

2018–Cavs vs Toronto ZERO PERCENT chance that Cavs win in 4 or 5 against Toronto according to statistical models but it’s just, “LOOL, TORONTO. THEY WERE SCARED.” Toronto had a superior team in every way and so much so that forecasting models literally gave the Cavs zero chance to win in 4 or even 5. After they win, oh, of course. If you bet Cavs in 4, you could have made a **** ton of money. There were threads in here about how the Cavs shouldn’t have even beaten the Pacers (good point) BUT THEN a few weeks later, “oh, the East sucks.”

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23364079/espn-forecast-nba-playoffs-predicting-makes-east-finals

Raps were favored in this series. Raps were 7 point favorites in game 1 and 6.5 in game 2. Everyone everywhere felt that it was the end of the road for Lebron and the team was toast against Toronto and if not them then the Sixers would destroy them who wound up losing anyway.

Take a look at these predictions that were then forgotten in hindsight:

Hawks vs. Cavs—5 people picked the Hawks and not a SINGLE person picked the series to go less than 6/7 games. Love was ouT, Kyrie was hobbled, and still the Cavs swept a 60 win team but in hindsight, “Of course the Hawks suck, lol,”

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12904540/experts-predictions-conference-finals

Bulls vs. Cavs: 5 people picked the Bulls, nobody picked a series shorter than 6/7 but when it was over, it was, “Of course the Cavs won because thr Bulls suck. Kenny Smith at halftime of game one (without Love or JR) said the Bulls were just better but afterwards, he talks about “How easy the East is for LeBron”

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12802517/experts-predictions-round-2

Pistons vs Cavs: One person predicted a sweep, the majority were split between a 5/6 game series.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/playoffs15206459/experts-predictions-east-round-1

Hawks vs. Cavs —lots of 6/7 game predictions, but after the fact, it was, “Oh of course it was gonna be easy” disregarding the fact that it was a sweep because the Cavs put on the greatest shooting display ever in that series.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/ATLCLE-15445136/experts-predictions-cavaliers-hawks

2017—just more of the same

Raptors vs. Cavs: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19279167/2017-nba-playoffs-expert-predictions-conference-semifinal-matchups

If you picked the series to be tough, don’t turn around and talk about how easy the runs were AFTER the fact. Every team begins to wear down after a two/three year stretch. We saw it with the Bulls in both runs, we saw it with the Celtics in the ‘80s, we saw it with the Heat, we saw it with the Warriors in 2019. Steve Kerr talked about how draining the constant winning is and how tired exhausted emotionally his players are and he mentioned it was the case with the Bulls as well in the 1990s.

At the same time, people just assumed it’s so easy for LeBron to do it, that he won’t break down.

LeBron 1) is a machine who will automatically lead ANOTHER team to the final for the how many ever consecutive year because of the East and then as the season progresses

2) Talk about how his team doesn’t look good enough (in at least 6 of those seasons) to do so and

3) predict that some series will be tough or that the Cavs won’t win and then

4) AFTER the FACT, write/talk about how it’s all so easy to win in the East, no big accomplishment even though Jordan had to take time off, Kerr talking about his team being tired after 3 straight years of winning, yet it’s no big deal for this 35 year old guy with 50,000+ minutes to do it again for an eight year in a row with some otherwise non-championship caliber players.

Bankaii
04-20-2022, 11:30 PM
The 80's West was arguably even worse, Magic was playing literal 39 win teams in the WCF, something LeBron never came close to doing. But the point remains the East was extremely weak during LeBron's Finals streak, esp after Rose got hurt and the Celtics broke up. How many of the teams LeBron beat from 2013 on do you think would be contenders in the West?
The 2013 (and to a much lesser extent 2014) Pacers would 100% be contenders in today’s West.

1987_Lakers
04-20-2022, 11:38 PM
The 2013 (and to a much lesser extent 2014) Pacers would 100% be contenders in today’s West.

Those Pacers teams were legit, they just lacked fire power. Paul George wasn't quite there as a player yet.

kawhileonard2
04-20-2022, 11:40 PM
Bruh, you can't possibly compare the current East to the one LeBron was winning every season :lol

This. The current east has like 5 mvp players

SouBeachTalents
04-21-2022, 12:07 AM
Idk bro, pre prime PG & Roy Hibbert? I’m just not that crazy about that team. Would you really pick them to beat, if healthy, any of the top 6 seeds out West (maybe the Mavs), or either L.A. team?

I know they took Miami to 7, but that series was honestly never in doubt. After Game 1 Miami won the next 3 games very comfortably, and that was with Wade being a shell of himself and Bosh really struggling in a terrible matchup against Hibbert.

Imo the biggest threat during that time was the 2015 Bulls, who came damn close to putting the Cavs down 3-1.

Axe
04-21-2022, 12:30 AM
Should just straight up ban people who make stupid, biased, shit threads like this.
Lol

3ba11
04-21-2022, 12:38 AM
When did Lebron carry bed-wetting teammates over top 5 SRS teams?

He has zero carry-jobs against good teams in 2 decades of playing...

I don't remember MJ getting props for carrying the Bulls over weak teams

Micku
04-21-2022, 12:57 AM

Disagree. East has been weak for decades really. Ever since MJ retired. There was a joke saying that the real finals was the WCF for a while.

You did have the Pistons in the mid 00s, but it felt like the Lakers also imploded as well, but they proved that they were for real the next season.

There was hardly any multiple championship contenders in the East, but there were outlier years for sure.

This year is definitely the most parity the East has seen in a while. I don't necessary agree to criticize LeBron or whoever for having a weak conference. Especially if they win a championship. But I do think there is a argument to say the 2nd-4th best team in another conference is better than the team that made the Finals in the another conference in some years.

Anyway, this year Celts is different than the ones that LeBron face. But even with that said, I don't see LeBron struggling like KD is rn due to how LeBron plays. But who knows really.

Baller789
04-21-2022, 01:31 AM

What is so special about beating Roy Hibbert?

Spurs m8
04-21-2022, 02:37 AM
What is so special about beating Roy Hibbert?

What about that time he beat Isiah Thomas, bruh?

Or that deadly Paul Millsap, Kyle Korver team with Jeff Teague.

Or rookie Tatum

Spurs m8
04-21-2022, 02:38 AM
There was that stat once that showed how 95% of all nba selections were from the West - over a long period.

Everyone knows he cakewalked the easy conference...which explains EXACTLY why more often than not, he'd reach the finals, play a real opponent and get swept or gentleman's swept.

Such a fraud

ZionDunks
04-21-2022, 02:46 AM
It’s time to give talking about Lebron a rest. He’s not relevant. He’s at home eating pudding

TAZORAC
04-21-2022, 04:20 AM

I said this 12 years ago and it never happened. Durant needs to get stronger. His lack of strength makes hampers his ability to be a 1st tier scorer (1st tier is being able to score around the rim, 2nd tier is mid-range scoring and 3rd tier is 3 point shooting).

Lebron in his prime, wore people down with his ability to drive to the basket at will.

Bankaii
04-21-2022, 08:45 AM
Idk bro, pre prime PG & Roy Hibbert? I’m just not that crazy about that team. Would you really pick them to beat, if healthy, any of the top 6 seeds out West (maybe the Mavs), or either L.A. team?

I know they took Miami to 7, but that series was honestly never in doubt. After Game 1 Miami won the next 3 games very comfortably, and that was with Wade being a shell of himself and Bosh really struggling in a terrible matchup against Hibbert.

Imo the biggest threat during that time was the 2015 Bulls, who came damn close to putting the Cavs down 3-1.
If my memory serves my right, PG was one of the MVP candidates with Lebron/Durant both years, but his play fell off so bad in the 2nd half of the season that he dropped off the voting.

But those Pacers were the #1 defense in the league both years. I would say they’re a slightly better version than the current Jazz. Do you really think the Jazz would push the 2013 Heat to game 7? I’m taking the Pacers over the Mavs and Nuggets too. At worst they’d be a top 5 seed, top 4 imo.

Not sure about the bulls, although they had a solid team. No Love and Kyrie was serviceable, but injured. It was basically all Lebron that series.

The East then definitely isn’t what it is now, but I think it gets a bit overstated with how bad it is due to Lebron hate.

ArbitraryWater
04-21-2022, 08:57 AM

Roy Hibbert was like Gobert who could score back then, though.

ImKobe
04-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Bran never had any bad games @BOS in '18? He had multiple games where he looked just as bad as Durant did in these first two. I remember when he had 15 points on 16 shots in Game 1 and people were calling for a Boston sweep.

8Ball
04-21-2022, 09:46 AM
Bran never had any bad games @BOS in '18? He had multiple games where he looked just as bad as Durant did in these first two. I remember when he had 15 points on 16 shots in Game 1 and people were calling for a Boston sweep.

Bron averaged 34/9/8 on 52% against Boston in 2018.

Let's see Durant do that.

Boston in 2018 was a 55 win team, this year Boston is a 51 win team.

Johnny32
04-21-2022, 09:48 AM

wrong. he had 1 bad gm in the series. the gm 1 blowout. he didn't get 20 fta like kd though.

8Ball
04-21-2022, 09:49 AM

MULTIPLE GAMES. :roll:

I count 1.

https://i.ibb.co/3SRLQzw/Screen-Shot-2022-04-21-at-9-48-40-AM.png

ImKobe
04-21-2022, 10:09 AM

I count 1.

You can do better than this, 1987_Lakers.

Lol @ saying that these Celtics are worse, because Rookie Tatum and a younger Jaylen Brown were the same players, right? The EC isn't a whole lot better?

And lol @ thinking Bran played a good Game 5.. This is where box score watching goes wrong. You clearly did not watch Game 5. He shot 50% which is decent but they bottled him up in that game and the Cavs never made it a game after the 1st quarter. 10 pts on 4/11 FG 4 TO in the 2nd half.

Like I said, a worse version of this Boston team had Bran down 0 - 2 in the same spot. He had some shaky 2nd halves in that series where the overall stat line looks good (like Game 2), but if you dive into the game you see that he had half of his points in the 1st quarter and got blown out in the 2nd half.

It's just laughable that we have to keep overreacting before a team wins on the road in a tough Playoff series. Nets were up 2 - 0 on the Bucks. Suns were up 2 - 0 on the Bucks last year. The series isn't over after the home team wins their first 2.

1987_Lakers
04-21-2022, 10:11 AM

I count 1.

Damn, body bagged.

:roll:

1987_Lakers
04-21-2022, 10:13 AM

I like how much I get inside a posters' head to a point where they think I'm another poster. :lol

8Ball
04-21-2022, 10:27 AM

Lol @ saying that these Celtics are worse, because Rookie Tatum and a younger Jaylen Brown were the same players, right? The EC isn't a whole lot better?

And lol @ thinking Bran played a good Game 5.. This is where box score watching goes wrong. You clearly did not watch Game 5. He shot 50% which is decent but they bottled him up in that game and the Cavs never made it a game after the 1st quarter. 10 pts on 4/11 FG 4 TO in the 2nd half.

Like I said, a worse version of this Boston team had Bran down 0 - 2 in the same spot. He had some shaky 2nd halves in that series where the overall stat line looks good (like Game 2), but if you dive into the game you see that he had half of his points in the 1st quarter and got blown out in the 2nd half.

It's just laughable that we have to keep overreacting before a team wins on the road in a tough Playoff series. Nets were up 2 - 0 on the Bucks. Suns were up 2 - 0 on the Bucks last year. The series isn't over after the home team wins their first 2.

Kobe finals average = 25/6/5 on 42% fg.
Lebron game 5 boston = 26/10/5 on 50% fg.

Checkmate.

SouBeachTalents
04-21-2022, 10:34 AM
You picked the wrong Celtics series. LeBron was honestly even worse than Durant’s been the first two games in ‘08, including the unfathomable 2/18 with 10 TO performance in Game 1.

LeGoat4Life
04-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Lebron's struggles in the West, prove how special Durant is

Lebron still a playoff virgin without AD

j3lademaster
04-21-2022, 11:14 AM
Kidding right? Roy Hibbert, one of the most immobile players in NBA history trying to keep up with small ball?

NBAGOAT
04-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Roy Hibbert was like Gobert who could score back then, though.

His scoring wasn’t good. The crucial thing is he fell off a cliff after the all star break and then Indianas team wasn’t impressive anymore

iamgine
04-21-2022, 01:40 PM
East was indeed weak when Lebron was playing there.

But that many finals was still super impressive.

If the East was strong obviously Lebron won't make that many finals. It's the same as if MJ's team wasn't super strong he'd not threepeat twice.

These guys aren't superheroes.

1987_Lakers
04-21-2022, 01:47 PM
His scoring wasn’t good. The crucial thing is he fell off a cliff after the all star break and then Indianas team wasn’t impressive anymore

The way he fell off a cliff was super unexpected and bizarre. He went from being an all-star level C to a scrub in a blink of an eye, I still don't understand it.

TheMan
04-21-2022, 02:02 PM

This, an idiot will always be an idiot :facepalm

Wally450
04-21-2022, 02:10 PM
What LeBron did for 8 straight years in the East in impressive regardless of how he did it.

tpols
04-21-2022, 02:16 PM
I'm not trying to be mean but a lot of you bran stans are retarded.

The East is far more stacked now than back then. This year I believe the East even had a better Win-Loss Record than the West. In Lebrons runs the East had horrible differential record compared to the west. LeBron made Finals where the toughest opponents he faced were Oladipo, Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap, Roy hibbert, rookie Tatum, and Derozan. There were no MVP talents on loaded teams like Embiid and Giannis. Even current Jimmy Butler is better than anybody from that previously stated lineup.

And to further the irony... LeBron is lottery in the wild wild west without AD. He couldn't even make the playoffs with Brandon Ingram, lonzo ball, Caruso, Rondo, kuzma, etc.

NBAGOAT
04-21-2022, 02:44 PM
I'm not trying to be mean but a lot of you bran stans are retarded.

The East is far more stacked now than back then. This year I believe the East even had a better Win-Loss Record than the West. In Lebrons runs the East had horrible differential record compared to the west. LeBron made Finals where the toughest opponents he faced were Oladipo, Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap, Roy hibbert, rookie Tatum, and Derozan. There were no MVP talents on loaded teams like Embiid and Giannis. Even current Jimmy Butler is better than anybody from that previously stated lineup.

And to further the irony... LeBron is lottery in the wild wild west without AD. He couldn't even make the playoffs with Brandon Ingram, lonzo ball, Caruso, Rondo, kuzma, etc.

Well yes the Stans are being dumb but this isn’t perfect either. Butler played some years in the East back then too :oldlol:. Obviously if you point out Boston isn’t the same team as they were in 2018, then you know how Ingram ball at least got way better too. Also lakers were a playoff team before brons injury

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Who the hell did LeBron ever beat in the east??

- Paul George hahahaha that's cute

- washed KG and Pierce

- victor olacucko

- 19 year old Tatum

All garbage.

Kawhi went to the east for 1 season and shat on LeBron's entire east career

- Embiid and butler on same team
- 2 time MVP and finals MVP Giannis

Walk on Water
04-21-2022, 06:05 PM
Jordan won't make 10 finals even if you repeat his career 1000x.

He won't lose 6 you mean. Lebron is only 3 and 6.

Spurs m8
04-21-2022, 06:09 PM
We still gonna glaze over LeBarry is lottery in a weaker West?

Take out scrimmage.....

Lottery

Won 2 playoff games with AD scoring 30+ BOTH games

Lottery

Truly horrendous.....imagine this clown played in the West when it was a gauntlet lmao

Bankaii
04-21-2022, 06:52 PM
Kidding right? Roy Hibbert, one of the most immobile players in NBA history trying to keep up with small ball?
Yet Rudy Gobert, who isn’t that much more mobile, is a DPOY and has led a much less defensively talented team than the Pacers to a top 5 and top 10 defense the past two years, is doing just fine.
Hibbert wouldn’t be as effective, but acting like he’d be unplayable is insane.

8Ball
04-21-2022, 06:58 PM
He won't lose 6 you mean. Lebron is only 3 and 6.

Put him in the 80s without Pippen and he won't even make 1 finals.

Baller789
04-22-2022, 10:54 AM
Put him in the 80s without Pippen and he won't even make 1 finals.

Well Lebron did have 4 future HOF teammates and 3 other top 75 players.

Yet he still manages to even miss the play-in tournament. :lol

8Ball
04-22-2022, 10:59 AM
Well Lebron did have 4 future HOF teammates and 3 other top 75 players.

Yet he still manages to even miss the play-in tournament. :lol

No hall of famers in 2018 or 2007 on his team.

ImKobe
04-22-2022, 12:05 PM
What LeBron did for 8 straight years in the East in impressive regardless of how he did it.

He had a few impressive EC runs/series for sure but for the most part his team was a lot better than the other 7 in the Conference with all the other superstars/contenders playing out West. We can give him credit for his run and also acknowledge that the EC is just a lot better now than it was from 2013-18.

Bronbron23
04-22-2022, 12:16 PM

It also proves how much 90's and 2000's physical defense can impact stars of this era.

Shooter
04-22-2022, 08:07 PM

- washed KG and Pierce

- victor olacucko

- 19 year old Tatum

All garbage.

Idiot Alert :lol

He literally beat:

Rose, Butler, Tatum, Derozan, Tobias, Paul George,

The literal guys running the East as soon as Papa Bron left the East :lol Get fu**ed

Baller789
04-22-2022, 11:38 PM
Idiot Alert :lol

He literally beat:

Rose, Butler, Tatum, Derozan, Tobias, Paul George,

The literal guys running the East as soon as Papa Bron left the East :lol Get fu**ed

Damn, that list sure looks underwhelming. :oldlol:

Shooter
04-22-2022, 11:41 PM
How many 1st team All-NBA's did he beat out East?

Careful now if 1st team all NBAs is the measuring stick...You wanna go there?

LeBron is FIRST all time with most 1st teams ever
LeBron is the ONLY player to beat three all NBAs in the Finals with zero All NBA teammates.

Checkmate

Baller789
04-23-2022, 02:13 AM
Careful now if 1st team all NBAs is the measuring stick...You wanna go there?

LeBron is FIRST all time with most 1st teams ever
LeBron is the ONLY player to beat three all NBAs in the Finals with zero All NBA teammates.

Checkmate

That wasn't even the question. I'll repeat it since you don't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

So how many 1st team all-nba opponenets did you hero beat out East?

warriorfan
04-23-2022, 02:33 AM

- washed KG and Pierce

- victor olacucko

- 19 year old Tatum

All garbage.

Victor olacucko

Not gonna lie that killed me for some reason