PDA

View Full Version : How come old unathletic declined cp3 can still dominate in this crazy tough era?

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 09:13 AM
I heard this era was too tough for guys like mj to dominate because it's way too athletic and skilled yet small, old, slow dinosaurs like cp3 can still dominate.

FKAri
04-23-2022, 09:43 AM
Why wouldn't MJ dominate? It may be a more talented era but the game is literally designed to make guards look great. Anyone who's quick and can shoot in the past would do even better in today's league. It's the bigs that would suffer today.

8Ball
04-23-2022, 10:03 AM
Why wouldn't MJ dominate? It may be a more talented era but the game is literally designed to make guards look great. Anyone who's quick and can shoot in the past would do even better in today's league. It's the bigs that would suffer today.

Ding ding ding.

If you can shoot and pass you have a spot on the roster.

Shooter
04-23-2022, 10:49 AM
Did OP just ask why one of the GREATEST point guards and a top 30 all-time great is still playing well into his later seasons? Must be an MJ fan :lol

OP, players can still play well beyond 13 seasons :lol I know MJ fans aren't used to this but it does happen for the elite, such as CP3, LBJ, etc.

paksat
04-23-2022, 10:50 AM
I love how the reply to that is people not being able to guard 3 pointers

there's another end to basketball, those 3 pointers can't guard the big men

Manny98
04-23-2022, 11:09 AM
Because CP3 is arguably the most skilled player ever and has one of the highest basketball IQs in the league

Nobody outside a couple of pathetic LeBron stans actually think that MJ wouldn't dominate in this era

Shooter
04-23-2022, 11:14 AM
Because CP3 is arguably the most skilled player ever and has one of the highest basketball IQs in the league

Nobody outside a couple of pathetic LeBron stans actually think that MJ wouldn't dominate in this era

There he is :lol

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 11:16 AM

Really? Is Embiid not dominating right now? Why would past bigs not do what he's doing? Drob, hakeem, shaq and kareem wouldn't dominate like him?

2much_knowledge
04-23-2022, 11:16 AM
Did OP just ask why one of the GREATEST point guards and a top 30 all-time great is still playing well into his later seasons? Must be an MJ fan :lol

OP, players can still play well beyond 13 seasons :lol I know MJ fans aren't used to this but it does happen for the elite, such as CP3, LBJ, etc.

The elite like cp3? A player who hasnt won sh*t??? I guess i missed when adam silver changed the objective of the game

2much_knowledge
04-23-2022, 11:18 AM
Really? Is Embiid not dominating right now? Why would past bigs not do what he's doing? Drob, hakeem, shaq and kareem wouldn't dominate like him?

Stick with the program. Only players around lebrons timeline can dominate all eras

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 11:19 AM

Bruh he's not just playing well. He might be the best point gaurd in the game still. That's crazy for someone his age who's declined as much as he has.

FKAri
04-23-2022, 11:30 AM

Embiid is an all time talent as are the guys you mentioned. These aren't normal centers. But 70% of the centers from the 90s would not make rosters today. They would be replaced by forwards. And most of the forwards would be replaced by guards. Similarly, a guy like Fred Van Vleet would not be making the big bucks in the 90s. I think this is all extremely obvious and should not need to be said.

8Ball
04-23-2022, 11:32 AM

Embiid is nearly 40% from 3 point range.

If u watch basketball it would be easy to see.

Old bigs that can't shoot 3s turn into westbrook.

8Ball
04-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Another thread fail. :lol

AlternativeAcc.
04-23-2022, 11:36 AM
He dominates in other ways. Through skill and IQ... not athleticism

MJ was athleticism only and never mastered the cerebral part of the game. Plus he was a putrid 3 point shooter and average passer for his position... that's bench in today's league

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 11:39 AM
Embiid is an all time talent as are the guys you mentioned. These aren't normal centers. But 70% of the centers from the 90s would not make rosters today. They would be replaced by forwards. And most of the forwards would be replaced by guards. Similarly, a guy like Fred Van Vleet would not be making the big bucks in the 90s. I think this is all extremely obvious and should not need to be said.

Again you're viewing alot of those centers without Hindsight. They devolved their skill based on the way the game was played. Plus there's plenty of centers and pf in in the league with mediocre athleticism and skill that seem to manage just fine. Someone like bill winnington on the bulls who can pop and shoot a 15 footer would have no problem finding a place in this era.

FKAri
04-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Again you're viewing alot of those centers without Hindsight. They devolved their skill based on the way the game was played. Plus there's plenty of centers and pf in in the league with mediocre athleticism and skill that seem to manage just fine. Someone like bill winnington on the bulls who can pop and shoot a 15 footer would have no problem finding a place in this era.

Sure there are exceptions. The trend still holds. Not sure what you're trying to argue. That bigs are just as impactful today as ever? Or that the bigs of the past would be doing the exact same things as they were then?

Lebron23
04-23-2022, 12:02 PM
Chris Paul is way better than John Stockton

k 96
04-23-2022, 01:02 PM
Chris Paul = P.E.D. USER

Shooter
04-23-2022, 01:46 PM

MJ was athleticism only and never mastered the cerebral part of the game. Plus he was a putrid 3 point shooter and average passer for his position... that's bench in today's league

+1

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Embiid is nearly 40% from 3 point range.

If u watch basketball it would be easy to see.

Old bigs that can't shoot 3s turn into westbrook.

Right because no bigs from that era would have Hindsight and work on their 3's like bigs do now if they came up in this era.

r15mohd
04-23-2022, 03:38 PM
Right because no bigs from that era would have Hindsight and work on their 3's like bigs do now if they came up in this era.

only those with a pretty good mid-range shot would transition...and there werent many who had that.

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 03:53 PM
Sure there are exceptions. The trend still holds. Not sure what you're trying to argue. That bigs are just as impactful today as ever? Or that the bigs of the past would be doing the exact same things as they were then?

I just disagree with the statement that 70% of the bigs wouldn't make a roster now. There were some really skilled bigs back then.

warriorfan
04-23-2022, 04:12 PM
I just disagree with the statement that 70% of the bigs wouldn't make a roster now. There were some really skilled bigs back then.

This is true. They were skilled in different ways. They were not trying to play like a guard. Today a big does a move a guard would do and people think it’s really skilled. Well it is but it looks more skilled then it actually is.

Hey Yo
04-23-2022, 04:31 PM
Chris Dudley played 17 seasons from 1988 to 2003.

Nuff said about that era.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-23-2022, 04:33 PM
On the flip side, Durant a supposedly a goat level scorer and shooting 30% FG

All about who your playing I guess, pelicans are a 10th seed with no defense

Bronbron23
04-23-2022, 04:38 PM
This is true. They were skilled in different ways. They were not trying to play like a guard. Today a big does a move a guard would do and people think it’s really skilled. Well it is but it looks more skilled then it actually is.

Yeah pretty much. I don't know why perimeter skill is viewed as more skilled then post and mid skill. It may be more exciting to watch but it's not necessarily more skilled. It's just different skill. Plus players from then if they played now would obviously develop the same skills players do now. Same goes with players from now if they played back then.

Johnny32
04-23-2022, 04:41 PM
tc got her shit pushed in multiple times itt. embarrassing. no wonder i have the dumb bich on ignore.

ImKobe
04-23-2022, 04:45 PM

Won a title averaging 8.4 assists.. career 5.7 apg in the POs.. that's average for a SG? lmao.

FKAri
04-23-2022, 05:46 PM
I think you're taking offense to what I'm saying for the wrong reason. You're thinking I'm saying those guys sucked and there's "better" guys now. No. What I'm saying is the big, strong and slow centers whose job it was to just body people and throw elbows around are no longer a valued commodity in modern basketball. They're no longer around. It's not like they just stopped being born. Teams would rather take a forward who gives up some size in exchange for a better ability to hedge on screens.

I guess we can debate the number. It's gotta be over 50% right? Unless you have tremendous talent a team will not accommodate its playstyle to fit you. Greg Ostertag started for a team that went to the finals. Todd MacCulloch started for a team that went to the finals. These guys would be lucky to be on the bench for middling teams. And there were guys a lot worse than them. Especially in the Shaq era where an army of 270lbs 7 footers were on a rosters for the 6 fouls.

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2022, 08:49 AM
hey op