PDA

View Full Version : Is Gianny the most ref coddled superstar of all time?

RRR3
04-24-2022, 02:47 PM
Good god this guy is allowed to do whatever he wants and gets free throws every time he gets breathed on.

tpols
04-24-2022, 02:55 PM
He's a manufactured star. Literally just sprints into guys chucks them aside and they call a foul on the guy who got hit. Its not basketball and its not legit.

John_Connor
04-24-2022, 03:04 PM
literally every face of the nba in history got favorable calls. refs know who the bread winners are and they're fans too just like us

but you know what's worse than getting a call your way? calling up the commissioner and demanding the other teams best player get suspended for the most important game of the finals

RRR3
04-24-2022, 03:16 PM
He's a manufactured star. Literally just sprints into guys chucks them aside and they call a foul on the guy who got hit. Its not basketball and its not legit.
I wouldn’t call him manufactured as he’s legitimately a great player for numerous reasons but he gets really soft whistles compared to other slashers and is allowed to get away with more than most star players.

grayson allen playing like jerry west

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DishonestIllDipper-size_restricted.gif

holiday being holiday

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SnivelingPlasticChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

FultzNationRISE
04-24-2022, 03:39 PM
I wouldn’t call him manufactured as he’s legitimately a great player for numerous reasons but he gets really soft whistles compared to other slashers and is allowed to get away with more than most star players.

If he didnt get to play by different rules Im not convinced hed be a “great” player.

He plays with a lot of heart and hustle so he might be still a great role player, good rebounder etc. But he can only score by being allowed to do whatever he wants and nobody is allowed to touch him. Without that he’d be a below average offensive player in today’s game and Im not sure the intangibles offset that.

His “superstardom” is definitely to some extent manufactured. Like Harden relies on calls but he still has (or had) some game. Giannis is without a doubt the least skilled/talented basketball player to win an MVP, or be considered a superstar, etc. and the only person thats even close is Westbrook (even HE still has a lot more skill than Giannis).

He has a big impact (the way hes allowed to play) but hes actually like, not good at basketball :lol

RRR3
04-24-2022, 03:44 PM
If he didnt get to play by different rules Im not convinced hed be a “great” player.

He plays with a lot of heart and hustle so he might be still a great role player, good rebounder etc. But he can only score by being allowed to do whatever he wants and nobody is allowed to touch him. Without that he’d be a below average offensive player in today’s game and Im not sure the intangibles offset that.

His “superstardom” is definitely to some extent manufactured. Like Harden relies on calls but he still has (or had) some game. Giannis is without a doubt the least skilled/talented basketball player to win an MVP, or be considered a superstar, etc. and the only person thats even close is Westbrook (even HE still has a lot more skill than Giannis).

He has a big impact (the way hes allowed to play) but hes actually like, not good at basketball :lol
I mean refs or not he’s explosively athletic and incredibly strong so he’s gonna at least be useful as a roll man regardless. He’s also gonna be elite defensively regardless. I get what you’re saying though it’s infuriating watching him, I can’t even imagine how much LeBron scores throughout his career with those calls.

StrongLurk
04-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Giannis is a dominant player no doubt, but he is a PRIME example of someone who wouldn't be as good in previous eras. Hell even a decade ago this version of Giannis would be taken down a whole tier.

Bronbron23
04-24-2022, 04:08 PM
Good god this guy is allowed to do whatever he wants and gets free throws every time he gets breathed on.

In his first 7 seasons he has 2 post seasons of over 10 fta. In brons first 7 seasons he had 4 post seasons of over 10 fta. Once again bron stans being the most unaware fan base ever:facepalm

RRR3
04-24-2022, 04:22 PM
In his first 7 seasons he has 2 post seasons of over 10 fta. In brons first 7 seasons he had 4 post seasons of over 10 fta. Once again bron stans being the most unaware fan base ever:facepalm
Because LeBron takes more shots you idiot. He had a significantly higher free throw rate than LeBron has ever had this season. Dumbdumb23 at it again.

j3lademaster
04-24-2022, 04:32 PM
In his first 7 seasons he has 2 post seasons of over 10 fta. In brons first 7 seasons he had 4 post seasons of over 10 fta. Once again bron stans being the most unaware fan base ever:facepalmHe took way more shots and played way more minutes.

Full Court
04-24-2022, 04:37 PM
literally every face of the nba in history got favorable calls. refs know who the bread winners are and they're fans too just like us

but you know what's worse than getting a call your way? calling up the commissioner and demanding the other teams best player get suspended for the most important game of the finals

You know what's even worse than that? Whining to the refs and getting fans kicked out.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fny%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1.2 %2FH8TZM_lHsuIeWIAp4m9K6w--%2FYXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTY0OA--%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fuu%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1.2 %2F1C3YPKnm2WO7aTqBLZc.Lw--~B%2FaD0xNzI3O3c9MjU2MDthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fmedia.zenfs.com%2Fen%2Flebron_wir e_usa_today_sports_articles_234%2Ff72e6b3c58d085a6 c86170560f014684&f=1&nofb=1

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-24-2022, 04:55 PM
The guy in your avatar was. Elbowing the shit out of guys during his peak years and getting away with it.

At least Giannis is fast, doesn't shoot like a 5 year old kid and can dribble.

SATAN
04-24-2022, 05:28 PM

Beyond stupid.

Bronbron23
04-24-2022, 05:29 PM
Because LeBron takes more shots you idiot. He had a significantly higher free throw rate than LeBron has ever had this season. Dumbdumb23 at it again.

Look at their stats dummy. Last post season greek shot 21 fga and shot 10 fta. Bron has done the same a few times. He's no more cuddled than bron was. RRRetard3 with another unaware post.:facepalm

Kblaze8855
04-24-2022, 05:32 PM
I wanna say I’ve seen this asked of 5 players in my time here and 4 of them were ridiculous. This is one of the 4. If you’re in the paint attacking like 30 times a game you should get a lot of fouls. Only the people who got them 30 feet from the basket bothered me.

I somehow doubt the nba conspired to make a random African Greek who barely spoke the language the next dominant star….in ****ing Wisconsin of all places.

The players we all call skilled benefit considerably more from modern rules than the physical guys. We watched Nash go from a borderline all star ISH had outside the top 20 and his own team opted to pay Erick Dampier instead of turn to a goat tier point in a summer with mild rule changes.

Giannis is too physically overwhelming for the freedom of movement and general softening to help him the most. He doesn’t need it. Take half his free throws he’s only the most productive tweener of the last 30 years…by a smaller margin.

Hed be a 20/13 yearly DPOY candidate if you gave him no free throws at all. He’d be going to the hall of fame no matter how you decided to rig it.

RRR3
04-24-2022, 06:47 PM
D-duh-uhh-uhh!
Giannis free throw rate this season: 61.5%
LeBron career high in 19 seasons: 50.6% (and he's never been above 47.2% in any other season)

Shut up dumbdumb23 you're out of your depth as usual.

Spurs m8
04-24-2022, 06:49 PM

This lol

They keep getting more and more unaware

FultzNationRISE
04-24-2022, 06:57 PM
I wanna say I’ve seen this asked of 5 players in my time here and 4 of them were ridiculous. This is one of the 4. If you’re in the paint attacking like 30 times a game you should get a lot of fouls. Only the people who got them 30 feet from the basket bothered me.

I somehow doubt the nba conspired to make a random African Greek who barely spoke the language the next dominant star….in ****ing Wisconsin of all places.

The players we all call skilled benefit considerably more from modern rules than the physical guys. We watched Nash go from a borderline all star ISH had outside the top 20 and his own team opted to pay Erick Dampier instead of turn to a goat tier point in a summer with mild rule changes.

Giannis is too physically overwhelming for the freedom of movement and general softening to help him the most. He doesn’t need it. Take half his free throws he’s only the most productive tweener of the last 30 years…by a smaller margin.

Hed be a 20/13 yearly DPOY candidate if you gave him no free throws at all. He’d be going to the hall of fame no matter how you decided to rig it.

To me it's less about the whistles his defenders get, and more about the offensive fouls and travels he doesnt get called for. The refs just let him go Tazmanian Devil on every possession. He's one of the league's leading scorers and he has the least amount of offensive skill of any all-star player. Something doesnt add up.

nayte
04-24-2022, 06:58 PM
We haven't even finished the first round yet and this is about the what 5th or 6th player lebron stans have made threads about. You lot are in for some rough years after he retires

Kblaze8855
04-24-2022, 07:07 PM
To me it's less about the whistles his defenders get, and more about the offensive fouls and travels he doesnt get called for. The refs just let him go Tazmanian Devil on every possession. He's one of the league's leading scorers and he has the least amount of offensive skill of any all-star player. Something doesnt add up.

Its the same thing every time. With Shaq eventually everyone not willing to blatantly lie had to acknowledge he was getting fouled all the time. The complaint was he doesn’t get called enough in return. Then with Wade I had to argue with Eliteballer swearing he was just Sprewell with refs in his pocket and should be called for a carry, offensive foul, or travel on every drive. Same for Lebron and the off arm and traveling. Had a good two year run of crab dribble memes. Now Giannis.

Always essentially the same argument. Shaq and Giannis may be the funniest to me though. Two of the most intentionally fouled people in history have fans counting their free throws as if the other team isn’t sending them there on purpose because they can’t be guarded in the paint.

I remember a game last year when he was being counted down at the line every time some idiot on here saying he took more free throws than whoever….ignoring he took like 10 off intentional fouls when he drove.

It will never end. People will always say “No it’s not like that other time” and on and on.

Just how fans are.

RRR3
04-24-2022, 07:10 PM
Its the same thing every time. With Shaq eventually everyone not willing to blatantly lie had to acknowledge he was getting fouled all the time. The complaint was he doesn’t get called enough in return. Then with Wade I had to argue with Eliteballer swearing he was just Sprewell with refs in his pocket and should be called for a carry, offensive foul, or travel on every drive. Same for Lebron and the off arm and traveling. Had a good two year run of crab dribble memes. Now Giannis.

Always essentially the same argument. Shaq and Giannis may be the funniest to me though. Two of the most intentionally fouled people in history have fans counting their free throws as if the other team isn’t sending them there on purpose because they can’t be guarded in the paint.

I remember a game last year when he was being counted down at the line every time some idiot on here saying he took more free throws than whoever….ignoring he took like 10 off intentional fouls when he drove.

It will never end. People will always say “No it’s not like that other time” and on and on.

Just how fans are.
Giannis isn't fouled intentionally the way Shaq was at all. He shot over 70% from the line this year.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2022, 07:22 PM
Nobody but those few times Dwight, Drummond, and Deandre got caught up in analytic hack a Shaq battles get fouled like Shaq. Giannis is the closest non exclusive post player I’ve ever seen though. Guys foul him to prevent the and 1 and make him take both. He’s one of those “Make sure you get him good!” guys who drives literally 30+ times with giant steps, a condors wingspan, and jumping out the gym. It’s like trying not to foul Mr.Fantastic going to the basket. He’s everywhere at once and coming at you like a honey badger.

He gets fouled on more drives than anyone….and he should.

And he does it without playing like a ho. He’s just relentless. And he absolutely no fear of drawing contact even when he’s missing at the line. If you could bottle his brand of don’t give a **** and give it to Ben Simmons he’d be unstoppable too.

His total lack of caring about going to the line even if he shoots 2 air balls is one of his greatest strengths. He wants to systematically ruin your frontcourt and get you in the penalty so he can take even more.

And he does it the only way anyone should. Going straight at your throat trying to dunk every single time.

Hes the anti Harden. He isn’t getting free throws on step backs and falling on command. He wants to dunk that bitch and you’re probably gonna foul him trying to prevent it.

Bronbron23
04-24-2022, 09:28 PM
This lol

They keep getting more and more unaware

They're so bad and RRRetard3 is possibly the worst out of the lot of them:oldlol:

Smook A.
04-24-2022, 09:57 PM
You know what's even worse than that? Whining to the refs and getting fans kicked out.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fny%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1.2 %2FH8TZM_lHsuIeWIAp4m9K6w--%2FYXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTY0OA--%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fuu%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1.2 %2F1C3YPKnm2WO7aTqBLZc.Lw--~B%2FaD0xNzI3O3c9MjU2MDthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fmedia.zenfs.com%2Fen%2Flebron_wir e_usa_today_sports_articles_234%2Ff72e6b3c58d085a6 c86170560f014684&f=1&nofb=1

Apparently those fans were wishing death on Bronny and saying he was a bitch, according to someone who was sitting close to them. If true, I don't blame LeBron one bit for getting those fans kicked out. If you were LeBron and heard those things, you'd probably be "whining" to the refs too. Crazy how people are so quick to jump to conclusions before doing their due diligence

Bronbron23
04-24-2022, 10:01 PM
Apparently those fans were wishing death on Bronny and saying he was a bitch, according to someone who was sitting close to them. If true, I don't blame LeBron one bit for getting those fans kicked out. If you were LeBron and heard those things, you'd probably be "whining" to the refs too. Crazy how people are so quick to jump to conclusions before doing their due diligence

Nah bruh that's some weak bitch ass mentality shit. Literally 99% of the population would give anything to take that abuse to live the life these guys live stop making excuses for bitch behavior

Smook A.
04-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Nah bruh that's some weak bitch ass mentality shit. Literally 99% of the population would give anything to take that abuse to live the life these guys live stop making excuses for bitch behavior

So you wouldn't act different if some fans were wishing death on your son? Pretty sure any normal person would feel uneasy with those comments, regardless of the life these athletes get to live. Let's be real now, there's some things you just can't tolerate.

Full Court
04-24-2022, 10:52 PM

Says someone on Twitter who was never even confirmed to have been at the game. You shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.

Full Court
04-24-2022, 10:54 PM

Exactly. There seems to be a certain player's fanbase who are so insecure that they look for ways to try to disparage any star they see as a threat to their hero. Giannis, KD, Kawhi, Curry....

Bronbron23
04-24-2022, 11:03 PM
So you wouldn't act different if some fans were wishing death on your son? Pretty sure any normal person would feel uneasy with those comments, regardless of the life these athletes get to live. Let's be real now, there's some things you just can't tolerate.

I wouldn't blame bron for talking shit back or even going over and slapping one upside the head depending on what was said but telling is just on some bitch shit. I,'m sorry that's how i came up. Either ignore it, talk shit back or get at them. Don't tell on them though.

FKAri
04-24-2022, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't blame bron for talking shit back or even going over and slapping one upside the head depending on what was said but telling is just on some bitch shit. I,'m sorry that's how i came up. Either ignore it, talk shit back or get at them. Don't tell on them though.

LOL. That would have been the worst thing he could've done. Doesn't matter how he or you came up. When you become an adult you should act like an adult. You're not in the playground anymore.

FultzNationRISE
04-24-2022, 11:19 PM
Nobody but those few times Dwight, Drummond, and Deandre got caught up in analytic hack a Shaq battles get fouled like Shaq. Giannis is the closest non exclusive post player I’ve ever seen though. Guys foul him to prevent the and 1 and make him take both. He’s one of those “Make sure you get him good!” guys who drives literally 30+ times with giant steps, a condors wingspan, and jumping out the gym. It’s like trying not to foul Mr.Fantastic going to the basket. He’s everywhere at once and coming at you like a honey badger.

He gets fouled on more drives than anyone….and he should.

And he does it without playing like a ho. He’s just relentless. And he absolutely no fear of drawing contact even when he’s missing at the line. If you could bottle his brand of don’t give a **** and give it to Ben Simmons he’d be unstoppable too.

His total lack of caring about going to the line even if he shoots 2 air balls is one of his greatest strengths. He wants to systematically ruin your frontcourt and get you in the penalty so he can take even more.

And he does it the only way anyone should. Going straight at your throat trying to dunk every single time.

Hes the anti Harden. He isn’t getting free throws on step backs and falling on command. He wants to dunk that bitch and you’re probably gonna foul him trying to prevent it.

I agree his tenacity is admirable, and I agree he gets hacked at a lot by people trying to prevent him from getting to the basket. But most of those get called, and so do a bunch of ticky tack fouls or fouls that didnt even happen. And he rarely gets called for the offensive fouls he commits.

You can say he gets legitimately fouled a lot and that's fine. He also benefits quite a bit from quick whistles. That's a fact too. And so is the fact he benefits form a lot of officiating leeway as an offensive player. All of that is true.

Jasper
04-25-2022, 10:54 AM

nothing like the colluder who is 90 and still playing

hold this L
04-25-2022, 11:11 AM

It's not just the FT though. Guy is constantly traveling and charges that almost never get called. If they did, he wouldn't be able to play this bull in a chinashop style. He would have to slow down at times and think what to do which would drastically changed his game. Definitely the most babied player in the NBA by a long shot.

Kblaze8855
04-25-2022, 11:11 AM
I agree his tenacity is admirable, and I agree he gets hacked at a lot by people trying to prevent him from getting to the basket. But most of those get called, and so do a bunch of ticky tack fouls or fouls that didnt even happen. And he rarely gets called for the offensive fouls he commits.

You can say he gets legitimately fouled a lot and that's fine. He also benefits quite a bit from quick whistles. That's a fact too. And so is the fact he benefits form a lot of officiating leeway as an offensive player. All of that is true.

Name one player in the entire history of the sport who was consistently called for their offensive violations? Did they call the warriors illegal screens? Ewing’s 3 step runner? Lebrons off arm? Kyries carry spin moves and illegal hesi? Has Harden been called for more than 20 of his 1500 leg kick threes? Did Shaq get called for the dislodge whenever he’d get low and back down often listing guys off the ground? Webbers arm hook spin he did every single time?

Nobody gets called for offensive violations on a regular basis no matter how often they do them. Neither Durant or Giannis have changed direction with the ball without a carry….ever.

The problem isn’t illegal offensive moves. People have problems with illegal athletic moves because they don’t respect it.

If you want offense played legally go watch a game from 1955 and see what following the rules looks like and be amazed at 6 traveling calls a quarter.

The rules for offense have been tossed out for 40 years. People are just selective about which ones they want enforced.

hold this L
04-25-2022, 11:13 AM
Name one player in the entire history of the sport who was consistently called for their offensive violations? Did they call the warriors illegal screens? Ewing’s 3 step runner? Lebrons off arm? Kyries carry spin moves and illegal hesi? Has Harden been called for more than 20 of his 1500 leg kick threes? Did Shaq get called for the dislodge whenever he’d get low and back down often listing guys off the ground? Webbers arm hook spin he did every single time?

Nobody gets called for offensive violations on a regular basis no matter how often they do them. Neither Durant or Giannis have changed direction with the ball without a carry….ever.

The problem isn’t illegal offensive moves. People have problems with illegal athletic moves because they don’t respect it.

If you want offense played legally go watch a game from 1955 and see what following the rules looks like.

The rules for offense have been tossed out for 40 years. People are just selective about which ones they want enforced.

They can call Warriors illegal screens and then you can call Steph, Klay and JP getting mugged off ball in every single possession. We'll see how that evens out.

Kblaze8855
04-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Mugged? Go watch the Knicks defend Reggie or Jordan off the ball. They had essentially the same rules on off the ball contact then but chose to actually enforce them to make it easier to score now. That’s usually how it is. Rules are bent to favor offense. Shooters. Slashers. Doesn’t matter. Game is rigged so good offense beats great defense.

FultzNationRISE
04-25-2022, 02:11 PM

If you want offense played legally go watch a game from 1955 and see what following the rules looks like and be amazed at 6 traveling calls a quarter.

Essentially, yes. Youre right, refs simply dont call offensive fouls as much as theyre supposed to. The point is nobody’s game is elevated more by that fact than Giannis. If they called the game correctly all the time, the Warriors would still find ways to score. Lebron would still dominate in a variety of ways. Even Harden would still have his little stepback.

Im not sure what Giannis would do. I agree the league isnt specifically targeting him for elevation via officiating. But theyre clearly instructing refs to avoid calling games certain ways, and Giannis is benefitting the most.

k0kakw0rld
04-25-2022, 02:17 PM

His name is Giannis

tontoz
04-25-2022, 03:21 PM
Giannis doesn't flop. Some guys will bait the refs into making bad calls. Giannis tries to power through contact, get to the rim and score.

Only 8 of his 30 ppg come from the foul line. He shoots 62% inside the arc.

Literally 48% of his attempts from the field are inside 3 feet. He attacks the basket all the time so of course he gets to the line a lot. Nothing to see here.

RRR3
04-25-2022, 05:48 PM
Giannis doesn't flop. Some guys will bait the refs into making bad calls. Giannis tries to power through contact, get to the rim and score.

Only 8 of his 30 ppg come from the foul line. He shoots 62% inside the arc.

Literally 48% of his attempts from the field are inside 3 feet. He attacks the basket all the time so of course he gets to the line a lot. Nothing to see here.
His free throw rate was well over double LeBron's and noticeably higher than peak Harden's.

Kawhi_Why_Not
04-25-2022, 05:53 PM
His free throw rate was well over double LeBron's and noticeably higher than peak Harden's.

regular season? Shaq hit 68% in 2001

unless your basing this off a 1st round series?? too small of a sample size

tpols
04-25-2022, 05:59 PM
regular season? Shaq hit 68% in 2001

unless your basing this off a 1st round series?? too small of a sample size

Giannis had 85 FTA in the Finals last year which was more than Booker, Paul, Ayton, and Bridges combined.

Kblaze tried to lie and say he was hack a shaq'ed but we all know that's not true. Its very hard to win when one guy gets paraded to the line all series long more than everybody on your team combined. Especially when said individual is the one creating the contact.

tontoz
04-25-2022, 06:53 PM

For his career 48% of Giannis shot attempts come from 3 feet and in compared to 36% for LeBron, only 27% for Harden.

Giannis has two seasons averaging 10+ foul shots per game. LeBron has 3, Harden 6.

Maybe Giannis needs to learn how to flop....

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/lebron-flop-3_zpsk91twbwx.gif

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/lebron-james-flop-2011_zps1duibaab.gif

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/le%20flop_zpsarrckgdu.gif

RRR3
04-25-2022, 06:59 PM
Only 40.6% of his shots came from 0-3 feet. It’s beyond sad you have those gifs saved btw. Snivelball level

tontoz
04-25-2022, 07:14 PM
Only 40.6% of his shots came from 0-3 feet. It’s beyond sad you have those gifs saved btw. Snivelball level

That's this year and it is well above LeBron's career average.

For their careers LeBron has a 40% free throw rate, Giannis 50%. Sounds right to me since Giannis attacks the rim far more frequently.

Giannis isn't trying to bait the refs like Harden and LeFlop.

Kblaze8855
04-25-2022, 08:19 PM
Giannis had 85 FTA in the Finals last year which was more than Booker, Paul, Ayton, and Bridges combined.

Kblaze tried to lie and say he was hack a shaq'ed but we all know that's not true. Its very hard to win when one guy gets paraded to the line all series long more than everybody on your team combined. Especially when said individual is the one creating the contact.

They took 70 more threes than he did. Think taking an additional 70…not 7… 70 threes as opposed to going hard inside is the way to get free throws?

You’ve watched basketball before right?

You imagine that if you take 70 shots of Giannis and turn them to threes he’d just be gifted the free throws anyway?