PDA

View Full Version : “I'll stab you with the sharpest knife I can grab. Come back the next week…

Kblaze8855
04-29-2022, 10:04 PM
…… and re-open your scab”

Killer instinct. I’d like to discuss it. If you even accept it’s existence. And who you think has it if you do. And if possible do so without the example being any of the following players who I think are about the only ones ever said to have it:

Jordan
Kobe
Bird
Isiah

Who else do you often hear it said of?

They have to make up about 95% of all references to it in ball. And the other 5 might just be Russell and West.

So I have to ask is it a trait just assigned to a few and worn out or do you see enough of it in others to justify the label?

It’s hard to even define. It isn’t just will to win. Lots of guys who play hard as hell never get that mentioned as a quality. It isn’t just being clutch either. Ray Allen made like a dozen big shots even if you ignore his prime. Who ever said he had a killer instinct? You don’t really hear it of super intense guys either. How often you hear KG described that way?

So how are you loosely defining it and do you assign the quality to any but those I mentioned already who seem to own all rights to the term?

Who are the active guys you give that label?

Dame?

Shooter
04-29-2022, 10:06 PM
All the greatest Finals game performers, easily

https://i.postimg.cc/Jzk9jw9z/LeGiannis_LeButler_LeBron.png

Spurs m8
04-29-2022, 10:15 PM
We all know who doesn't have it

iamgine
04-29-2022, 10:22 PM
People have their own subjective definition of killer instinct is why it's hard to define.

What it actually is: "an aggressive tenacious urge for domination in a struggle to attain a set goal"

I'm guessing not many players have this kind of urge. I don't even think Bird has it. Meanwhile, there might be players who has this urge but just not good enough to dominate. i.e Patrick Beverley.

Pointguard
04-30-2022, 09:46 AM
…… and re-open your scab”

Killer instinct. I’d like to discuss it. If you even accept it’s existence. And who you think has it if you do. And if possible do so without the example being any of the following players who I think are about the only ones ever said to have it:

Jordan
Kobe
Bird
Isiah

Who else do you often hear it said of?

They have to make up about 95% of all references to it in ball. And the other 5 might just be Russell and West.

So I have to ask is it a trait just assigned to a few and worn out or do you see enough of it in others to justify the label?

It’s hard to even define. It isn’t just will to win. Lots of guys who play hard as hell never get that mentioned as a quality. It isn’t just being clutch either. Ray Allen made like a dozen big shots even if you ignore his prime. Who ever said he had a killer instinct? You don’t really hear it of super intense guys either. How often you hear KG described that way?

So how are you loosely defining it and do you assign the quality to any but those I mentioned already who seem to own all rights to the term?

Who are the active guys you give that label?

Dame?
Good list!

It gets difficult when a guy like Dame who is so good during clutch time but has some games where his intensity isn't great in a close out game. He doesn't necessarily smell dieing flesh the whole game. Russell, like KG, plays hard all the time so seeing more intensity is going to be harder: sobeit, he does go more into a frenzy, not necessarily an instinct you want to see. Giannis has the instinct despite playing hard all the time. He could do 180 blocks on centers, chase down blocks, clutch free throws, key three pointers... .

I had an uncle that played his reel to reel of Frazier humiliating Jerry West in an elimination championship game over and over. It was one of the best finals games ever. Interesting because Frazier was uncommonly cool so people didn't even call him clutch mainly due to his style. But he was very clutch. I didn't see enough to say, killer instinct man, but in that game he manifested it. Duncan also had the instinct but style makes you not want to say killer.

Robert Horry had it. Something took over him in close crucial games. He was a below average player to me except when he could eliminate a team - a true Game of Thrones guy. Magic Johnson and Lebron both had something extra that would manifest in big times. And yeah, there would be bodies after they attained that higher level.

HylianNightmare
04-30-2022, 10:35 AM
Joe Johnson

ShawkFactory
04-30-2022, 10:36 AM
Of current guys Luka and Jimmy Butler are the closest.

red1
04-30-2022, 10:38 AM
jordan kobe bird isiah thomas scottie barnes

all HOF top-tier players

ralph_i_el
04-30-2022, 10:50 AM
Some guys just get a boost from pressure. One of the great aspects of all sports is finding out who has it.

FKAri
04-30-2022, 11:30 AM
Some guys just get a boost from pressure. One of the great aspects of all sports is finding out who has it.

But that's being clutch. That's different imo.

Killer instinct is about giving something your all when giving less would have sufficed. It's probably closer in spirit to being a good front runner than it is to being clutch.

PP34Deuce
04-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Classic eminem line. Still don't give a ****

Gohan
04-30-2022, 04:01 PM
Classic eminem line. Still don't give a ****

Trash rapper, that only whiteboys like

Chuckbe
04-30-2022, 09:47 PM
Trash rapper, that only whiteboys like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L1DECNVDM

Axe
05-01-2022, 07:43 AM
Imagine if kd won two rings or more without the aid of a superteam. He would make that list.

tpols
05-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Dirk. Maybe Paul pierce.

ArbitraryWater
05-01-2022, 11:18 AM
thats dark

Kblaze8855
01-25-2024, 11:39 AM
thats dark

Also in the running for this title was “Attend your funeral, shoot your pallbearers too, cause it’s “**** you!” and them six ****** who carried you.” But I felt the Eminem line would be more recognized.

I was reminded of this, because I heard someone else credited with the instinct. Giannis. I think he might be closer to the just playing hard type, but he does have a serious urge to destroy people and prove himself. Not sure if it qualifies or not.