PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is Deandre Ayton?

Im Still Ballin
05-02-2022, 07:12 PM
Title.

I'm super impressed by his scoring arsenal. He's money from anywhere in the paint, including those 10-16ft mid-range shots.

How good is his defense? Do you think he's got the skills to scale up and become a 20+ PPG guy in the future? Will Phoenix ever need him to be that? Where do you rank him among the centers in the league?

1987_Lakers
05-02-2022, 07:19 PM
He kinda reminds me of Robert Parish in terms of production. Pretty good at everything, but not elite.

Ayton is still super young too, obviously can get better as a player.

NBAGOAT
05-02-2022, 07:25 PM
yes he can score 20 and his defense is very good though I wouldnt call it all-defense level. He's not an elite rim protector. He's more mobile than a lot of centers in terms of switching pnr defense etc however. I would put him behind jokic, embiid, towns, gobert, bam, and jarrett allen(ridiculously good this year). He has the ceiling to be a top 3 center and all-nba(15-20) and yes they need him to scale up because paul is so old. I do think someone like mobley has more of a ceiling

fourkicks44
05-02-2022, 07:31 PM
The best two centers are obviously Joel and Jokic.

Ayton, Bam, Rudy and Kat are next and all on par with each other despite different games.

Micku
05-02-2022, 09:49 PM
He kinda reminds me of Robert Parish in terms of production. Pretty good at everything, but not elite.

Ayton is still super young too, obviously can get better as a player.

That's a good comparison.

FultzNationRISE
05-02-2022, 10:15 PM
This generation’s Kevin McHale.

Jasper
05-02-2022, 10:46 PM
perfect fit for the Bucks when Lopez retires.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2022, 10:48 PM
He was drafted number 1 for a reason. He's pretty good. And he abused steroids.

Kawhi_Why_Not
05-03-2022, 01:25 AM
His usage is always role player level

But his impact is allstar level

Not sure what to take from him, especially since he has been suns 3rd best player these last few years.

It just goes to show what a good floor general point guard can do for a center though, that's why kareem was always spoiled in the 80s.

I would say a good comparison would be i have no idea i can't think of anybody that similar at this point? we have to see him as he gets older and his usage gets higher.

Akeem34TheDream
05-03-2022, 01:34 AM
The best two centers are obviously Joel and Jokic.

Ayton, Bam, Rudy and Kat are next and all on par with each other despite different games.

I agree and i might also put Jarrett Allen on the next tier.

TheGoatest
05-03-2022, 03:45 AM
Works great with CP3, not so much without him.
The Suns are pretty slick by refusing to give him that max contract. They know that he isn't anywhere as good without CP3, so they're trying to procrastinate and milk him dry while he's still playing with CP3 before CP3 retires.
It's a cold-bloodedly calculated move.

bobopenguin
05-03-2022, 11:03 AM
so good that he has not yet secured his max contract, what is suns GM thinking?

tontoz
05-03-2022, 11:28 AM
He is very good overall but doesn't really have a standout skill. Just good at everything.

He has that clueless look on his face which can make him look lost but he is definitely a matchup problem for teams who go small. He is mobile enough that he is able to show on pick and roll defense. He isn't going to hang back and give up open 3s.

FultzNationRISE
05-03-2022, 12:26 PM
He’s basically a middle class man’s Embiid IMO. His offense is similar in style, just not quite as good, and he’s arguably a better team defender due to the extra mobility.

Which naturally adds up to a pretty good player overall.

Im Still Ballin
05-03-2022, 12:47 PM
He’s basically a middle class man’s Embiid IMO. His offense is similar in style, just not quite as good, and he’s arguably a better team defender due to the extra mobility.

Which naturally adds up to a pretty good player overall.

Do you think he could do 25+ PPG on his own team?

FultzNationRISE
05-03-2022, 12:56 PM
Do you think he could do 25+ PPG on his own team?

I dont see why he couldnt tbh. He’d probably need to take a couple more threes, but he made 7/19 this year (37%) so it feels reasonable.

I mean Porzingis can put up 22 ppg, I dont see why Ayton couldnt do 25. It doesnt mean it’s gonna lead to anything, I think these days your best player has to be able to get guys involved. Ball movement and three point shooting has gotten too good, you cant consistently beat teams on your own no matter who you are.

But Im sure he could get the 25 on a reasonable efficiency. It would just be a question of how effectively can he leverage his touches to raise the rest of the team. And obviously any player needs a certain amount of talent around them regardless.

90sgoat
05-03-2022, 07:57 PM
Porzingis level talent.