PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul is living proof of how mileage management can extend a player's career

TheGoatest
05-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Ever since the mid-2010s his minutes have been in the low 30s, his roles limited and plenty of games skipped. His usage rate/main focus of opponents' defenses has also been way lower than his teammates James Harden and now Devin Booker.

Another example of the indisputable importance of mileage is Pop limiting Tim Duncan's minutes in the late 00s/early 10s.

A different way of how a player can manage his mileage and thereby extend his career is by limiting physical interactions. Such an example is Kareem, who completely stopped rebounding the ball in the 80s. As a 7'2 center who once led the league in rebounding, he averaged merely 7 rebounds throughout the 80s, literally half of his rpg average in the 70s, which no doubt helped his mileage.

All this is why LeBron averaging at least 25/6/6 for 18 straight seasons going back to 2004-05 while being the main focus of opponents' defenses yet still being this good at 37 is extra impressive. :applause: And why jordon skipping entire seasons while being completely healthy and having an unfair mileage advantage over his opponents yet still losing to the Magic in 1995 and failing to make the playoffs with the Wizards in a conference with 52 and 50 win #1 seeds is extra unforgiveable. :facepalm

8Ball
05-05-2022, 04:34 PM
I don't think of jordon retiring as a mileage advantage.

If you don't play basketball you open the door to eventually being surpassed by someone that plays just as good and doesn't take time off.

LeBron breaking milestones like all time points is only due to mental fortitude of playing year after year and taking care of his body 365 days a year for 20 years without getting mentally fatigued.

So jordon having only 11 elite seasons is jordon's fault.

Bran has about 17 elite seasons.

All jordon stans know this deep down. Jordon played enough to be the GOAT in 1998, he didnt play enough to keep the distance between him and Bran large enough.

That is why jordon fans want to dismiss longevity, because jordon's medicine cabinet for longevity is empty.

Bill Simmons wrote about this. If Jordan knew a Bran was gonna enter the league, he would never retire in 1994 and never retire in 1998. He would be forced to keep playing until the wheels fell off.

I don't think of jordon retiring as a mileage advantage.

If you don't play basketball you open the door to eventually being surpassed by someone that plays just as good and doesn't take time off.

LeBron breaking milestones like all time points is only due to mental fortitude of playing year after year and taking care of his body 365 days a year for 20 years without getting mentally fatigued.

So jordon having only 11 elite seasons is jordon's fault.

Bran has about 17 elite seasons.

All jordon stans know this deep down. Jordon played enough to be the GOAT in 1998, he didnt play enough to keep the distance between him and Bran large enough.

That is why jordon fans want to dismiss longevity, because jordon's medicine cabinet for longevity is empty.

Bill Simmons wrote about this. If Jordan knew a Bran was gonna enter the league, he would never retire in 1994 and never retire in 1998. He would be forced to keep playing until the wheels fell off.

https://i.ibb.co/8rWLDdR/1-rzfliogdw7bqomzoyzgazq.jpg

8Ball
05-05-2022, 04:59 PM
https://i.ibb.co/8rWLDdR/1-rzfliogdw7bqomzoyzgazq.jpg

Honestly I was disappointed when Jordan retired in 1998.

Till this day he regrets he retired. He knows it.

AlternativeAcc.
05-05-2022, 05:07 PM
His game was never reliant on explosive athleticism. Guys like Stockton, Paul, ans Kidd last a long time off of IQ and skill. That's also why LeBron is so great at this age, and why guys like Kobe and Jordan are so miserable - due to lack of IQ and skill.

GrayGoat
05-05-2022, 07:10 PM
CP3 reduced his own minutes by being out so early in the playoffs

John_Connor
05-05-2022, 07:30 PM
I find it weird that lebrons best friend also has the same kind of longevity and rebirth

almost as if they're on the same prescription

https://i.ibb.co/RTbczm2/Screenshot-20220505-193215-Gallery.jpg

MrFonzworth
05-05-2022, 10:12 PM
I find it weird that lebrons best friend also has the same kind of longevity and rebirth

almost as if they're on the same prescription

https://i.ibb.co/RTbczm2/Screenshot-20220505-193215-Gallery.jpg
An extensive investigation needs to be done on the banana boat, starting with LeBron.