PDA

View Full Version : Make/Model of the official 2022 nba 180’ breakaway rims ?

BarberSchool
05-11-2022, 09:54 PM
I know it used to be Spalding 180’ breakaway rims, made in Iowa, USA… several years ago.

But this new goal is different.

2022’s 180’ breakaway rims breakaway better from the sides, and shooters aren’t just getting “shooters rolls” off the front of the rim, but off the sides as well. And at a slightly increased frequency.

Back of the rim long shots are still producing bricks for long rebounds, but the front AND SIDES of these new breakaway rims have just enough give/flex, prior to breaking away, to both handle dunks from the baseline better, as well as allow for some additional shooters rolls we haven’t seen prior.

Praying somebody knows the EXACT make/model.

Thanks fellas. :rockon:

ArbitraryWater
05-11-2022, 09:57 PM
i didnt even know this.

NBA got new rims allowing this?

seems like they're fiddling with the game a bit, if it changes the outcome of shots

BarberSchool
05-11-2022, 10:37 PM
i didnt even know this.

NBA got new rims allowing this?

seems like they're fiddling with the game a bit, if it changes the outcome of shots

It’s somewhat subtle, and only increases the chance of getting a shooter’s bounce/roll very slightly. We’re talking fractions of a percent higher.

But it’s very noticeable to the perceptive eye.
And a lot of former D-1 & D-2 talent I know has noticed.

I don’t have an issue with it. That’s not what this thread is saying.
I want to buy one of these for my home 1/3rd court.

BADLY.

Spuddywebby
05-11-2022, 11:17 PM
There are a ton of 180 breakaway rims on Amazon. I have a half court setup with a mega slam hoop and it came with a breakaway rim. I would need to scientific proof that it helps shooters as nothing I’ve seen would lead me to that conclusion. And unless you are dunking on the regular, the normal rims that “breakaway” just from the front are perfectly fine.