PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Tatum is Kobe Bryant

ZionDunks
05-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Tatum proved to me last night Kobe is still alive and well and in the game. He’s just wearing a Celtics jersey.

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2022, 05:13 PM
That sucks

That means he'll shoot like 4/22 in game 7

ShawkFactory
05-14-2022, 05:19 PM
Lol is this now a thing?

Real Men Wear Green
05-14-2022, 05:29 PM
No he isn't. Bigger and less athletic. Developing into more of a slasher but Bryant was a better finisher. Tatum can play the 4 and its more of a rebounder. A better defender in my opinion but Bryant had a lot of All-Defense.

Generally unless a guy is averaging 40 he shouldn't be compared to all time greats before the age of 28.

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2022, 06:01 PM
That was a better elimination game than Kobe had in his entire career.

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 06:11 PM
No he isn't. Bigger and less athletic. Developing into more of a slasher but Bryant was a better finisher. Tatum can play the 4 and its more of a rebounder. A better defender in my opinion but Bryant had a lot of All-Defense.

Generally unless a guy is averaging 40 he shouldn't be compared to all time greats before the age of 28.

Kobe was a slasher in his younger years #8 Frobe was crazy athletic and had a elite first step. Kobe athleticism is underrated.

ClipperRevival
05-14-2022, 06:13 PM
Imagine a player who is a tier below Kobe putting the clamps on KD and possibly beating Giannis.

Imagine PEAK Kobe in this era? Any contact is a foul, spaced floor so easy attacks to the basket, no rim protectors. My God, 30+ PPG every season at minimum. MJ would get 40+.

Soft ass era.

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 06:17 PM
Imagine a player who is a tier below Kobe putting the clamps on KD and possibly beating Giannis.

Imagine PEAK Kobe in this era? Any contact is a foul, spaced floor so easy attacks to the basket, no rim protectors. My God, 30+ PPG every season at minimum. MJ would get 40+.

Soft ass era.

Prime Kobe and Wade would easily literally destroy this current era you add in MJ who is tier or two above those two players he would be like an alien from another galaxy haha.

ClipperRevival
05-14-2022, 06:18 PM
Kobe was a slasher in his younger years #8 Frobe was crazy athletic and had a elite first step. Kobe athleticism is underrated.

Absolutely.

Ranking athleticism on a scale, say MJ/LeBron is close to 100, Kobe was like 90-95. He wasn't quite GOAT tier but not THAT far off and shi*ted on 99% of everyone else in that department. Tatum is a turtle compared to PEAK Kobe.

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 06:19 PM
Absolutely.

Ranking athleticism on a scale, say MJ/LeBron is close to 100, Kobe was like 90-95. He wasn't quite GOAT tier but not THAT far off and shi*ted on 99% of everyone else in that department. Tatum is a turtle compared to PEAK Kobe.

Well said agree 100%. :applause:

AirBonner
05-14-2022, 06:24 PM
Kobe guarding 7ft Durant? Yeah no. You guys are laughable

ShawkFactory
05-14-2022, 06:29 PM

Soft ass era.

Yea totally. No one else on the Celtics exists.

Tatum goin 1-on-5

AirBonner
05-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Also Pierce gave Kobe the business on multiple occasions and he’s not near the player Tatum is

Kawhi_Why_Not
05-14-2022, 06:39 PM
Yea totally. No one else on the Celtics exists.

Tatum goin 1-on-5

Tatum was the primary reason for durant's struggles. He had him shook.

Tatum also deserves like 4 all defense selections at this point. Media keeps f*cking him over for some reason.

I guess the eye is shocked when they say a white guy dominating (luka\jokic). But jokic is clearly holding Tatum's mvp award. He better at least get a 1st team all nba this season.

At least he will for sure end with 10+ all-star selections

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 06:45 PM

Durant hadn't proven anything as #1 guy on his own team hasn’t done shit without GSW.

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 06:50 PM

Durant himself would even tell you he wasn’t on Kobe level as a player.

AirBonner
05-14-2022, 06:53 PM
Durant himself would even tell you he wasn’t on Kobe level as a player.kobe physically couldn’t guard him

Cold soul
05-14-2022, 07:01 PM
kobe physically couldn’t guard him

Yes he could especially if you’re taking about Kobe in his younger days he was a lock down defender out on the perimeter he was one one best on ball defenders in the entire league for several years in early 2000’s his all NBA 1st team defense rewards were earned and not given to him on reputation in his later years.

SATAN
05-14-2022, 11:46 PM

Imagine PEAK Kobe in this era? Any contact is a foul, spaced floor so easy attacks to the basket, no rim protectors. My God, 30+ PPG every season at minimum. MJ would get destoyed.

ftfy

Kawhi_Why_Not
05-15-2022, 02:49 AM
2018-21 Tatum was better then 3peat Kobe

Now 2022 Tatum has reached a higher two way peak then Kobe ever did. Time will tell

Smook A.
05-15-2022, 03:10 AM
Tatum reminds me of a more athletic Paul Pierce. Great footwork, very solid jumpshot, and crafty with the ball

iamgine
05-15-2022, 04:54 AM
Jaylen Brown is more like Kobe.

Cold soul
05-15-2022, 12:12 PM
2018-21 Tatum was better then 3peat Kobe

Now 2022 Tatum has reached a higher two way peak then Kobe ever did. Time will tell

Nah I don’t think so.

Real Men Wear Green
05-15-2022, 12:33 PM
Jaylen Brown is more like Kobe.
I kind of agree. The physical build and athletic ability are similar. Brown is fat behind Bryant as a dribbler and passer but does continue to develop that kind of midrange game. The big difference is that you could put Bryant a point guard. JB at point guard would be awful.

tpols
05-15-2022, 12:36 PM
Tatum proved to me last night Kobe is still alive and well and in the game. He’s just wearing a Celtics jersey.

He doesnt have Kobes agility, dexterity, quickness, creativity, anger / poster ability, or overall game but he's great in his own right. Doesn't really play like Kobe at all either. Basically its a 3 or layup. A very simple yet greatly effective player And he's much taller so while being that skilled at shooting it makes him a great player. Durant is a more apt comparison.

Tatum plays nothing like Kobe and would unfortunately get sonned by him in a prime vs prime battle. Kobe was a truly elite creative athlete. Tatum is just a tall guy with great shooting and skill. The most impressed I've ever been by an athletic play regarding Tatum was that poster he had in the 2018 ECF vs Cleveland.

https://youtu.be/KLEya3fL1qc

That ^^^ was rookie Tatum. He banged on LeBron and then chest bumped and taunted him afterwards. :roll:

The disrespect.

Phoenix
05-15-2022, 01:05 PM
Tatum athletically is probably more in line with Kobe between 2010 and 2012. Kobe for 2012-13 was still doing some stuff athletically that I've never really seen from Tatum or you have to account for the disparity in age between current Tatum and Kobe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8h_LiEzIA[

He's a few months show of 35 there. We're so used to saying he's not in the MJ/Lebron class of athleticism that he's becoming underrated in that regard. He had crazy body control, dexterity, reflexes and bounce at his athletic best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfqmBTcF8ZE

Come on man. I get it, it's ISH. The forum would be dead without trolling and hot takes. But Tatum ain't on that level of athleticism.

tpols
05-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Tatum athletically is probably more in line with Kobe between 2010 and 2012. Kobe for 2012-13 was still doing some stuff athletically that I've never really seen from Tatum or you have to account for the disparity in age between current Tatum and Kobe here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8h_LiEzIA[

He's a few months show of 35 there. We're so used to saying he's not in the MJ/Lebron class of athleticism that he's becoming underrated in that regard. He had crazy body control, dexterity, reflexes and bounce at his athletic best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfqmBTcF8ZE

Come on man. I get it, it's ISH. The forum would be dead without trolling and hot takes. But Tatum ain't on that level of athleticism.

Kobe got fouled on that Garnett dunk too. Bodied to the floor which is why it was more forceful than clean on the dunk. His split second intuition told him he had to slam it quick rather than make it more aesthetic and **** the ball back before the dunk. And he just got up like nothing happened. A player today would have milked that and maybe gotten a flagrant.

Kawhi_Why_Not
05-15-2022, 02:38 PM
Nah I don’t think so.

He already went to two east finals.

I don't see how he doesn't win titles with arguably the greatest center/player of all time on his team in shaq

Smook A.
05-15-2022, 02:42 PM
Durant himself would even tell you he wasn’t on Kobe level as a player.

I feel like he'd say that out of respect. I think if you compare them as players, it wouldn't be outlandish to say Durant's a slightly better offensive player due to his efficiency. However, Kobe's a better winner and definitely had a better killer instinct, especially in the playoffs.

Kawhi_Why_Not
05-15-2022, 02:45 PM
He doesnt have Kobes agility, dexterity, quickness, creativity, anger / poster ability, or overall game but he's great in his own right. Doesn't really play like Kobe at all either. Basically its a 3 or layup. A very simple yet greatly effective player And he's much taller so while being that skilled at shooting it makes him a great player. Durant is a more apt comparison.

Tatum plays nothing like Kobe and would unfortunately get sonned by him in a prime vs prime battle. Kobe was a truly elite creative athlete. Tatum is just a tall guy with great shooting and skill. The most impressed I've ever been by an athletic play regarding Tatum was that poster he had in the 2018 ECF vs Cleveland.

https://youtu.be/KLEya3fL1qc

That ^^^ was rookie Tatum. He banged on LeBron and then chest bumped and taunted him afterwards. :roll:

The disrespect.

Tatum is a much better 3 point shooter and defender. I would say his overall impact is just greater.

He has dunked on Giannis and Lopez this series

https://youtu.be/bZQG6UAigGU

https://youtu.be/M-rfQ_8h5oo

tpols
05-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Tatum is a much better 3 point shooter and defender. I would say his overall impact is just greater.

He has dunked on Giannis and Lopez this series

https://youtu.be/bZQG6UAigGU

https://youtu.be/M-rfQ_8h5oo

Not even close to a better defender. That sort of invalidates your entire perspective. Young Kobe was straight lock down. Tatum is just decent. Not bad, not great, just alright. You're high off what happened in the previous series but Durant only struggled because of doubles. In single coverage last year KD absolutely lit tatum up.

As far as 3pt shooting goes, 3 pt shots weren't a staple in Kobes era for an elite player. They were something role players took or stars took as a last option or heat check. Kobe Bryant was an incredibly capable long range shooter. You're exposing your ignorance further by not realizing that.

https://youtu.be/MDWmwWdfrXc

In today's spaced out 3pt era kobe would be dropping bombs with more regularity.

ShawkFactory
05-15-2022, 03:23 PM
Not even close to a better defender. That sort of invalidates your entire perspective. Young Kobe was straight lock down. Tatum is just decent. Not bad, not great, just alright. You're high off what happened in the previous series but Durant only struggled because of doubles. In single coverage last year KD absolutely lit tatum up.

As far as 3pt shooting goes, 3 pt shots weren't a staple in Kobes era for an elite player. They were something role players took or stars took as a last option or heat check. Kobe Bryant was an incredibly capable long range shooter. You're exposing your ignorance further by not realizing that.

https://youtu.be/MDWmwWdfrXc

In today's spaced out 3pt era kobe would be dropping bombs with more regularity.

Kobe was not the shooter that Durant is in any way. Not just 3s.

Not really a hot take.

Shogon
06-17-2022, 11:37 AM
Yep, Finals choker. True.

SATAN
06-17-2022, 11:55 AM
Poor man's Drexler.

Lakers Legend#32
06-17-2022, 03:24 PM
Is Tatum Still Kobe?

BWAWAHAHAHA!

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 03:36 PM
No, he’s a poor caricature of Kobe Bryant

Keno
06-17-2022, 04:12 PM
still accurate....good post OP

Wally450
06-17-2022, 05:10 PM
At least Kobe had heart. Tatum is way too passive and hopefully this loss puts some grit and determination into him. I worry though...

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:12 PM
Potatum

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 05:19 PM
At least Kobe had heart. Tatum is way too passive and hopefully this loss puts some grit and determination into him. I worry though...

Absolutely. Golden State has no shot blockers or rim enforcers. With the way the league is now with the amount of space, he should’ve been getting to the rim for some easy buckets at his height, to get his confidence going, and then his jumpshot.

That’s why I said he’s a caricature of Kobe … Bryant didn’t attack the rim as frequently as Michael or Dwyane Wade, but he still got to the rim for athletic or finesse finishes around the rim. It gets the confidence going and then sometimes your jumper. That dimensionality to scoring is necessary for a great scorer.

Otherwise, you’re just a shooter, and when shooter’s shots aren’t falling, they’re useless. With that said, Tatum is a great player, and great players can impact the game even when they’re not shooting or scoring well, for much of the series he did a fine job facilitating actually.

But yes he needs to stop settling for flaky jump shots off step back and side steps. He needs to attack the rim.

In my opinion he actually plays like a poor man’s hobo version cocktail of Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant.