PDA

View Full Version : Luca Doncic is a James Harden type, right?

Walk on Water
05-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Are we just living in the moment? I hear all this praise about Luca Doncic. But remember, Harden brought the Rockets to game 7 against the Warriors, who had KD. I just don't see much of a difference in their gameplay. The stats don't mean a whole lot because we've seen Harden and Westbrook get all kinds of triple doubles too. And that's what Luca does, he goes for points, rebounds and assists.

They're both slightly out of shape, they both chuck up a lot of 3s, they both play a lot of isolation, and they both get a lot of assists due to having the ball, but aren't really point guards. Both aren't great defenders.

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 12:02 PM
Are we just living in the moment? I hear all this praise about Luca Doncic. But remember, Harden brought the Rockets to game 7 against the Warriors, who had KD. I just don't see much of a difference in their gameplay. The stats don't mean a whole lot because we've seen Harden and Westbrook get all kinds of triple doubles too. And that's what Luca does, he goes for points, rebounds and assists.

They're both slightly out of shape, they both chuck up a lot of 3s, they both play a lot of isolation, and they both get a lot of assists due to having the ball, but aren't really point guards. Both aren't great defenders.

Harden was not the driving force in that WCF run, Chris Paul was but then ofc he choked at the finish as usual.

SouBeachTalents
05-18-2022, 12:20 PM
Harden was not the driving force in that WCF run, Chris Paul was but then ofc he choked at the finish as usual.
It’s still insane to me the two guys considered the biggest chokers of their generation nearly took down those Warriors :lol Talk about a complete reversal in narrative if CP3 doesn’t get injured.

Akeem34TheDream
05-18-2022, 12:27 PM
It’s still insane to me the two guys considered the biggest chokers of their generation nearly took down those Warriors :lol Talk about a complete reversal in narrative if CP3 doesn’t get injured.

Cp3's "injuries" are part of his choking narrative imo.

Akeem34TheDream
05-18-2022, 12:31 PM
The thing is Luka right now is about as good as peak Harden, actually a better playoff performer than him. Harden also has some mentality problems, sometimes he looks uninterested. Although that can be a defense mechanism like Simmons has.
Edit: I'd like to add that what Luka was doing against Clippers was much more impressive than anything he did this year so far.

GimmeThat
05-18-2022, 12:32 PM
very odd when I've got the pass to the deluxe version of all you can eat buffet, yet people insist on popcorns and hotdogs with McDonalds being considered the most deluxe meal of all.

RRR3
05-18-2022, 12:40 PM
Pulling your hamstring is choking?

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 12:46 PM

It's not like there isnt a very good chance Harden and CP3 find a way to choke that game 7 away together regardless

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 12:48 PM
Pulling your hamstring is choking?

Maybe not choking per se, but falling short some how some way at the critical time.

RRR3
05-18-2022, 12:48 PM
It's not like there isnt a very good chance Harden and CP3 find a way to choke that game 7 away together regardless
Pretty decent chance there wasn’t a game 7 at all it CP3 doesn’t get hurt. Warriors were shook

RRR3
05-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Maybe not choking per se, but falling short some how some way at the critical time.
It’s not choking if it’s not your fault. This year is the first time I’d give CP3 a lot of the blame for a loss tbh, people mostly ignore context in all the other losses and just assign it to him because they’re morons who think rangzzzzz is a measure of greatness.

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Pretty decent chance there wasn’t a game 7 at all it CP3 doesn’t get hurt. Warriors were shook

Obviously there's no way of knowing, but again... the whole point is that all of history points to the likelyhood that a Harden and CP3 duo were going to find a way to lose that series no matter what, whether it's from injuries, choking or some mix of the two.

When guys who arent winners dont win, it's usually not a fluke.

SouBeachTalents
05-18-2022, 12:53 PM
They got off to a big lead in Game 6, then went through that historic 0/27 3 point streak in Game 7. It’s obv all speculative, but I think at minimum CP3 is enough to make the difference in Game 7. Though I couldn’t blame anyone for not having confidence in those 2 to close the series out :lol

GimmeThat
05-18-2022, 12:56 PM
It’s not choking if it’s not your fault. This year is the first time I’d give CP3 a lot of the blame for a loss tbh, people mostly ignore context in all the other losses and just assign it to him because they’re morons who think rangzzzzz is a measure of greatness.

nice kegel exercise there

GimmeThat
05-18-2022, 12:59 PM
When guys who arent whinners dont whine, it's usually not a fluke.

found the H in Akeem34theDream

1987_Lakers
05-18-2022, 01:01 PM
found the H in Akeem34theDream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxep5Z1h3_U

tpols
05-18-2022, 01:08 PM

:roll:

This.

Luka does ball dominate like Harden but the main difference is he's actually an extremely clutch and timely producer.

GimmeThat
05-18-2022, 01:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxep5Z1h3_U

the man trying to break the camera at him thanks to the glass steagall act

DMAVS41
05-18-2022, 01:34 PM

Just to be clear. You are saying this year is the first time in CP3's career that you'd give him a lot of blame for a playoff loss?

ArbitraryWater
05-18-2022, 02:12 PM
They got off to a big lead in Game 6, then went through that historic 0/27 3 point streak in Game 7. It’s obv all speculative, but I think at minimum CP3 is enough to make the difference in Game 7. Though I couldn’t blame anyone for not having confidence in those 2 to close the series out :lol

i still think if they put paul out there 2nd half in game 7, it would have given them the energy/lift needed to stay ahead.

FilmyCogTurner
05-18-2022, 02:20 PM
Very different players if you ask me. Luka is way better at hunting mismatches and making the defense react and pay. Single coverage he beats you, double team he finds the open man for a wide open three or the extra swing pass for the hockey assist. Harden did not create for his team to this degree. Great passer but mostly made in response to being forced to give it up rather than actually create for his squad mates.

ralph_i_el
05-18-2022, 02:26 PM
Luka's game stands up better to physicality in the playoffs than Harden's. Better post game and midrange.

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 02:35 PM
Luka's game stands up better to physicality in the playoffs than Harden's. Better post game and midrange.

This is a very good point.

tontoz
05-18-2022, 02:39 PM
Havent seen this mentioned but Doncic isn't trying to bait the refs when driving. He is trying to score, not throwing up garbage hoping to get bailed out by the refs.

RRR3
05-18-2022, 03:32 PM
Just to be clear. You are saying this year is the first time in CP3's career that you'd give him a lot of blame for a playoff loss?
First time I’d say he’s the main reason his team lost. Not the first time he’s ever had a series below his standard but he’s generally an excellent playoff performer.

RRR3
05-18-2022, 03:34 PM
Havent seen this mentioned but Doncic isn't trying to bait the refs when driving. He is trying to score, not throwing up garbage hoping to get bailed out by the refs.
Yeah but Harden is really the only guy who does that, at least to that extent. Luka just resembles Harden play style wise but he does try to finish his layups through contact.

Phoenix
05-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Luka gets better in the playoffs. On that metric alone they're not that comparable regardless of aesthetic similarities.

Phoenix
05-18-2022, 03:39 PM

Yes, said this in another recent thread. Luka has more weapons to counter the defense if the 3 isn't falling or getting to the rim is hard. Harden's game falls off a cliff if either of those scenarios happen, and his foul-baiting doesn't work in the playoffs.

RRR3
05-18-2022, 03:45 PM
Luka gets better in the playoffs. On that metric alone they're not that comparable regardless of aesthetic similarities.
So he’s Harden if he was clutch.

tontoz
05-18-2022, 03:48 PM

And if he was taller with a post game who wasn't flailing to bait the refs.

Axe
05-18-2022, 03:48 PM
Can't even spell his name right. :facepalm

Phoenix
05-18-2022, 03:51 PM

Let's put it this way, if Harden was more physical, less foul-baity, better mid-range game, better post-game, he's be Luka. The similarities in their games drift once you get past how they dribble out at the 3point line setting up their stepback.

Mask the Embiid
05-18-2022, 04:21 PM
More of a Jumbo Westbrook

tontoz
05-18-2022, 04:40 PM
More of a Jumbo Westbrook

:oldlol:

Obviously you are still reeling from Philly's loss and Boston's success.

DMAVS41
05-18-2022, 05:11 PM
First time I’d say he’s the main reason his team lost. Not the first time he’s ever had a series below his standard but he’s generally an excellent playoff performer.

Yea...every great player is an excellent playoff performer based on those standards though and is almost never going to be the reason a team lost as they are usually the best player or the 2nd best player on the team. A shit game from a guy like Giannis is still better than like 95% of players...etc...

Go back and watch game 4 of the finals last year and think about the context of that game. Nothing is a lock of course, but that game is likely the series for the Suns if they win. Paul was pretty bad. You can say overall he was fine in the series and I'd probably agree based on some standard, but a game like that has real weight to it. It's the difference in a likely title or not...and with Paul...yes, I agree he's excellent in the playoffs if the standard is just average player.

But, if you compare him to the true all-time great playoff performers that have done legendary things when their teams needed it the most...he isn't close.

FultzNationRISE
05-18-2022, 05:33 PM
If Carmelo was a high IQ floor general hed be Luka.

Smook A.
05-18-2022, 05:34 PM
The way Luka elevates his game in the playoffs makes him better than Harden. He can score in more ways (mid-range & post game) and does it more efficiently too. He's also really clutch and steps up in moments when it matters most. I really like his mentality and competitive fire

ralph_i_el
05-18-2022, 05:39 PM
If Carmelo was a high IQ floor general hed be Luka.

This or Paul Pierce. Luka is a legit elite scoring wing PLUS and elite point guard in one package.

Bronbron23
05-18-2022, 05:59 PM

They have similarities but Luka has a bigger bag. He uses the post and mid way more than harden who barely uses either.

Hazchazthebaz
05-19-2022, 02:32 PM
i think we can safely say that doncic has what harden lacks. sorry but harden was just starting to do what luka has been doing in his 5th year. no comp for me.

r0drig0lac
05-19-2022, 02:37 PM
95%

Spurs m8
05-19-2022, 08:13 PM
Luka will have a farrrrrrr greater legacy...they won't even be comparable when both careers are over

plowking
05-19-2022, 08:42 PM
Similar style of player, but I think Luka is better on the basis that he changes it up more than Harden. Harden just reverts back to chucking if met with adversity.

Luka on the other hand seems to welcome the challenge.