PDA

View Full Version : This is not Your Father's NBA

Champ
05-20-2022, 02:04 PM
Somewhat of a follow-up to Kblaze's excellent post on the evolution of traveling calls.

Check this clip from the '82-'83 season - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoiim8fnv-s

Fast forward to the 1:05 mark to see Andrew Toney - a marquee player on the best team in the league that year - called for a "palm" for what today would be considered a simple hesitation dribble.

Not only is Toney whistled for the violation, but both announcers also call it out (one being Bob Cousy) AND the crowd responds like it knows the player just did something wrong.

These days you wouldn't see any of these reactions - not from the refs, not from the announcers, and especially not from the fans.

IMO, ball handling rules have altered the game more than anything else, including the three. The increased freedom afforded to ball handlers has allowed players and offenses to operate in ways previously unimaginable, changing the game in myriad ways. Ball handling is now arguably considered the most premium skill a player can have - greater than size, rebounding, passing, defense, and perhaps even shooting, simply because it's the most frequently utilized skill in today's game that allows players to break down defenses and create offense.

Today, we see Toney's move at least a few hundred times per game. It is considered a foundational dribbling technique that's actively taught to younger players to increase separation between yourself and your defender.

But believe or not, there was a time when this simple move was flat-out illegal. And it was being consistently enforced during what we consider the modern game.

RRR3
05-20-2022, 03:54 PM
My dad quit watching the NBA when they introduced the 3pt line lol

Gohan
05-20-2022, 04:01 PM

No i didnt i quit watching when allen iverson retired.

Btw i am not proud of you in fact, im ashamed of you, very very ashamed of you

ClipperRevival
05-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Yup, it's gotten worse and worse over the decades where now, you let a guy literally hold that ball for a long time, which is a HUGE advantage for the offensively player. Not to mention, all the other factors that favor offenses. Football is suffering through the same dilemma.

SATAN
05-21-2022, 06:40 PM
Don't watch NBA basketball if you don't like it anymore.

Axe
05-22-2022, 06:13 AM

:oldlol:

RogueBorg
05-22-2022, 02:12 PM

:roll:

RogueBorg
05-22-2022, 02:16 PM

I get what your dad thinks of todays game. Last night, both teams when they were out on the break and it's 2 on 1 and they pull up from 3 and miss it...it drives me bananas when they have a much higher chance of a basket if they just go to the rim. It was really bad in Dallas' last loss to the Warriors. To me, it's just plain low IQ basketball.

PP34Deuce
05-22-2022, 02:18 PM
I mean nba is entertainment. Best athletes that mix track speed...soccer dexterity and strength. They travel but they do things most can't.