PDA

View Full Version : The calories in foods at restaurants are astounding

Walk on Water
05-24-2022, 01:01 PM
I got invited to Applebees the other day. 1,200 calories for just a chicken salad. Why would anyone eat that? That should just be banned. Over 1k calories just for a salad with chicken? Some of their deserts are over 2,200 calories. That is insane.

I respect a restaurant like Heart Attack Grill in Vegas because at least they are honest about their food. Applebee's has like 2 healthy items on their whole menu. It really is sickening.

And people blame the carbs. But look at all the oils that these food chains are using. Most meals are over 2000 calories at these chain restaurants. They're even worse than McDonalds. Just watch the movie Super Size Me. The calories explain why obesity is an epidemic. That much fat in a meal is almost impossible to burn off.

I am embarrassed that restaurants are allowed to use this many calories. Honestly, there should be laws regarding how much fat and calories they should be able to serve you. It's totally out of control. Why does Applebees only have 2 healthy meals? And why do most fast foods only serve high calorie meals? Some people would like to eat a little healthier on the go. It's gotten too extreme.

Does every restaurant have to serve you this much grease? It's insane.

AKA_AAP
05-24-2022, 03:39 PM
No one eats at Applebees. Instead of calorie counting, go to the gym and add more muscle so you can burn chicken salad calories at rest.

Nanners
05-27-2022, 02:32 AM
And people blame the carbs. But look at all the oils that these food chains are using. Most meals are over 2000 calories at these chain restaurants. They're even worse than McDonalds. Just watch the movie Super Size Me. The calories explain why obesity is an epidemic. That much fat in a meal is almost impossible to burn off.

Yeah and its not just the calorie numbers that are bad in these foods and chains, but also the type of calories. For example, the vegetable/seed oils used in most american foods and restaurants are absolutely terrible for humans (except olive and avocado, those are both great). If you graph obesity over time in america, it charts almost perfectly to vegetable/seed oil consumption. In the past ~2 years since I cut vegetable/seed oils out of my diet I have seen a ton of positive health benefits - much stronger immune system, better digestion, higher energy levels, better sleep, reduced beer gut, improved cognition, reduced athsma/allergies, and the last time I had my blood tested my vitamin/hormones were better than they have been in many years. I stopped consuming high fructose corn syrup about ~5 years ago and that also resulted in a ton of positive health benefits.

These days I consume sugary and fried food basically as much as I want to, but I just make sure the sweet stuff is made with real sugar and the fried stuff is fried in lard or a healthy oil... and I feel healthier than ever.

baudkarma
05-27-2022, 10:03 AM
I was in Oklahoma last month on family business and decided to check out a new restaurant that had just opened a few blocks from our hotel. I witnessed something there that I have a sinking feeling the start of a trend. The restaurant has a large number of tables (probably half the inside seating) that are designed especially for their heftier customers. The tables are lower, the seats are lower and wider and have extra reinforcements to handle the additional weight. Most of those tables were in use, by the kind of individual you'd expect who can shovel down a massive plate of food (Portions there are huge, I couldn't even finish half of my dinner) and then order two desserts each because they just can't decide which one they want. Of course both desserts got polished off as well. I was concerned at first that the couple might catch me staring, but I needn't have worried. Neither of them ever looked up from their plate.

JohnnySic
05-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Eating out at restaurants is overrated. I think prople just do because its something to do and they're bored or, in the case of fine dining, to show off.

Give me a sandwich and a glass of milk at home anytime.

dazzer87
05-27-2022, 02:48 PM
Applebees soooo trash………

ShawkFactory
05-27-2022, 02:52 PM
Eating out at restaurants is overrated. I think prople just do because its something to do and they're bored or, in the case of fine dining, to show off.

Give me a sandwich and a glass of milk at home anytime.

What a wildly bad take :lol

Patrick Chewing
05-27-2022, 03:58 PM

How so? People spend so much money for something that can easily be done at home. People go out just to get out of the house. It's a waste of money to eat out at a restaurant, but sometimes eating at home every day is downright depressing.

Norcaliblunt
05-27-2022, 06:33 PM
If it’s acceptable to call a restaurant Heart Attack Grill do you think it would be okay to call one Cancer Cafe?

bladefd
05-27-2022, 08:11 PM
Healthiest to cook own food at home and eat. That way you don't have to worry about what these restaurants put in or don't put in.

I eat out a few times per month. I can't understand people who eat out daily or 3+ times a week. Just a path towards suffering later on or early death :confusedshrug:

ShawkFactory
05-27-2022, 11:58 PM
How so? People spend so much money for something that can easily be done at home. People go out just to get out of the house. It's a waste of money to eat out at a restaurant, but sometimes eating at home every day is downright depressing.

Food made in restaurants often can’t be duplicated adequately at home. My favorite wing joint has way better shit than what I’d do by myself. Could I make them passable, or even good? Sure but it’s not the same. Ditto pizza. Or burgers. I’m not great at making Szechuan food either. And the Japanese market stopped delivering sushi-grade fish to my house.

On top of all that, sometimes you just don’t feel like spending time and energy cooking and then cleaning after.

There are plenty of reasons people go to restaurants other than boredom.

Lakers Legend#32
05-29-2022, 02:53 AM
The whole Red States are a coronary waiting to happen.

Axe
05-29-2022, 05:28 AM
Don't mind him. He still hasn't gotten his food stamps yet. :oldlol:

hateraid
05-30-2022, 01:47 PM
Understanding volume and what calories are which can help you make wise decisions

I barely finish my food at restaurants so I take it home. But I can appreciate the extra volume at a more affordable price

highwhey
05-30-2022, 03:09 PM
I was in Oklahoma last month on family business and decided to check out a new restaurant that had just opened a few blocks from our hotel. I witnessed something there that I have a sinking feeling the start of a trend. The restaurant has a large number of tables (probably half the inside seating) that are designed especially for their heftier customers. The tables are lower, the seats are lower and wider and have extra reinforcements to handle the additional weight. Most of those tables were in use, by the kind of individual you'd expect who can shovel down a massive plate of food (Portions there are huge, I couldn't even finish half of my dinner) and then order two desserts each because they just can't decide which one they want. Of course both desserts got polished off as well. I was concerned at first that the couple might catch me staring, but I needn't have worried. Neither of them ever looked up from their plate.

:roll::roll::roll:

i think you encountered patrickchewing

baudkarma
05-30-2022, 04:34 PM
Cheesecake Factory has got to be the worst. Even food on the menu that sounds like it should be healthy is loaded with calories. Almond-Crusted Salmon Salad. Salad. Salmon. Can't be that bad, right? Try 1640 calories. 1160 of those calories from fat.

ShawkFactory
05-30-2022, 06:31 PM
Cheesecake Factory has got to be the worst. Even food on the menu that sounds like it should be healthy is loaded with calories. Almond-Crusted Salmon Salad. Salad. Salmon. Can't be that bad, right? Try 1640 calories. 1160 of those calories from fat.

Of course they use a fvck load of oil and shit but the portions at Cheesecake Factory are ridiculous. 1600 sounds like a lot for a salmon salad but that shit is legit 2 meals unless you stuff yourself out of habit.

ZenMaster
05-30-2022, 06:46 PM

I didn't believe that when I read it, and sure enough most sites I could find says it has 1040 calories.

Sure it has some oil and sugar in the vinaigrette which helps bump up the calories, but salmon and almonds are going to pack a lot of calories. Add avocado to that as well btw.
How much salmon comes in that salad? 9 ounces has just over 500 calories sitting by itself.
Salmon, almonds and avocado are top calories sources with a lot of healthy fats.

Eat it without the vinaigrette or get it on the side using just a bit if it, then you should be good.
Quality of the farm salmon is a whole other thing though.

hateraid
05-31-2022, 11:13 AM

Salmon and almonds have good fat. The rest comes from the dressing. So no. Not bad at all

baudkarma
05-31-2022, 04:34 PM
I didn't believe that when I read it, and sure enough most sites I could find says it has 1040 calories.

Sure it has some oil and sugar in the vinaigrette which helps bump up the calories, but salmon and almonds are going to pack a lot of calories. Add avocado to that as well btw.
How much salmon comes in that salad? 9 ounces has just over 500 calories sitting by itself.
Salmon, almonds and avocado are top calories sources with a lot of healthy fats.

Eat it without the vinaigrette or get it on the side using just a bit if it, then you should be good.
Quality of the farm salmon is a whole other thing though.

got the numbers from the nutritional guide on The Cheesecake Factories own website.

https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/sites/default/files/2021-10/The-Cheesecake-Factory-Nutritional-Guide.pdf

Search for "salmon salad" or just find it manually. Third item down from the top of page six. Oh, and I also missed that it has 69 carbs.

Nanners
05-31-2022, 04:38 PM
does anybody go to a place called "cheesecake factory" looking for a low calorie meal?

ZenMaster
05-31-2022, 05:07 PM
got the numbers from the nutritional guide on The Cheesecake Factories own website.

https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/sites/default/files/2021-10/The-Cheesecake-Factory-Nutritional-Guide.pdf

Search for "salmon salad" or just find it manually. Third item down from the top of page six. Oh, and I also missed that it has 69 carbs.

Damn, well then I do wonder about the amount of sugar in the vinaigrette, well not wonde, because that's what restaurants do.
Almonds, salmon and avocado are all very much calorie dense foods though and healthy.
Have you tried this salad? Can it fill you up for a half a day or more at 6 foot tall?

baudkarma
05-31-2022, 07:06 PM
Damn, well then I do wonder about the amount of sugar in the vinaigrette, well not wonde, because that's what restaurants do.
Almonds, salmon and avocado are all very much calorie dense foods though and healthy.
Have you tried this salad? Can it fill you up for a half a day or more at 6 foot tall?

I went to CF with family about 10 years ago. I've never been tempted to go back. I don't remember what I ordered, but I do remember it was practically drowning in butter and oil. The place was jam-packed, noisy as hell, and the service barely competent. There are much better restaurants available.

For an NBA tie-in, here's an ESPN article from 2008 that explores the obsession NBA players, especially the younger ones, have with CF.

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4543/the-cheesecake-factory-did-not-pay-me-to-write-this

Makes sense. Younger players on their rookie deals still have to watch their money, and they burn up a bunch of calories.

ZenMaster
06-01-2022, 01:55 AM
I went to CF with family about 10 years ago. I've never been tempted to go back. I don't remember what I ordered, but I do remember it was practically drowning in butter and oil. The place was jam-packed, noisy as hell, and the service barely competent. There are much better restaurants available.

For an NBA tie-in, here's an ESPN article from 2008 that explores the obsession NBA players, especially the younger ones, have with CF.

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4543/the-cheesecake-factory-did-not-pay-me-to-write-this

Makes sense. Younger players on their rookie deals still have to watch their money, and they burn up a bunch of calories.

I'd argue that the almond crusted salad is the healthiest thing on their menu, just order it with the vinaigrette on the side. Like, it can only be drowning in that.

It's funny, I remember reading that article from 14 years ago :oldlol:

hateraid
06-01-2022, 04:53 AM

Did you even research what a calorie is? It's not as alarming as you make it sound. Portions, calorie value, calorie breakdown...
Half that salad and see what it means. Not every calorie is the same.

Spurs m8
06-01-2022, 07:08 AM
No wonder you're all fat fvcks

Or in hateraids case, a short fat fvck

hateraid
06-02-2022, 12:47 PM

What does this have to do with Lebron?

red1
06-02-2022, 12:48 PM

you're a *****. guaranteed.

probably the first to get KO'd

Axe
06-03-2022, 05:42 AM
That's right. Stay at home unless gas prices become low again.

Norcaliblunt
06-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Oxidized non organic almonds covering a piece of over cooked farm raised salmon in a bed of non organic produce is not healthy no matter how many calories.

Instead go for wild caught raw salmon and organic non pasteurized sprouted almonds in a salad of organic greens with either a fresh homemade ranch dressing made with non pasteurized cream or a vinaigrette made with organic apple cider vinegar and fresh pressed fruit juice.

red1
06-03-2022, 11:05 AM
that white chocolate raspberry cheesecake from cheesecake factory is the single greatest dessert of all-time

its a known fact

hateraid
06-05-2022, 12:35 PM
Oxidized non organic almonds covering a piece of over cooked farm raised salmon in a bed of non organic produce is not healthy no matter how many calories.

Instead go for wild caught raw salmon and organic non pasteurized sprouted almonds in a salad of organic greens with either a fresh homemade ranch dressing made with non pasteurized cream or a vinaigrette made with organic apple cider vinegar and fresh pressed fruit juice.

Compared to the traditional diet it's not the worst choice. Considering the cost of organic foods it's not very conducive to the American lifestyle.

First choice is to make better decisions where you eat, but if you do make those choices this salad isn't the worst

bison
06-06-2022, 06:16 PM
If it’s acceptable to call a restaurant Heart Attack Grill do you think it would be okay to call one Cancer Cafe?

Opening a gay bar called The AIDS Lounge

Street Hunger
10-06-2022, 11:12 PM
Food delivery is usually enough food for 2-3 people

RRR3
10-06-2022, 11:31 PM
Not if you're fatrick.

Phoenix
10-07-2022, 06:04 AM
The only way I would eat at cheesecake factory is if that was my only meal that day, had two courses, and had a sub 1000 calorie diet the following 2 days to balance it out.

Jud
10-07-2022, 10:39 PM

That highly depends on how much you order and how much you like to eat you moron