PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving: "Kobe Bryant is the GOAT"

eliteballer
05-25-2022, 09:09 PM
“He’s the greatest to play this game. When I say the greatest to play this game, it doesn’t mean I’m knocking anybody else, alright?” said Irving. “F—, let me finish my story. The greatest to play this game to me! I don’t give a f— what you talking about, I don’t care about your stats. I don’t f—ing care. The greatest to play this game, to me!”

On the same Twitch stream, Irving revealed that Bryant gave him advice before the 2016 season that ultimately helped him push the Cavs to the franchise’s first-ever title.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/kyrie-irving-tells-story-about-kobe-bryant-who-he-believes-is-the-goat/

https://heavy.com/sports/brooklyn-nets/kyrie-irving-lebron-james-kobe-bryant/

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.9611b88f4ea372497f1f473b44c29e2c?rik=7vozozMPls8 ewA&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

8Ball
05-25-2022, 09:14 PM
Kobe about to be bounced from top 12 to 13 once Curry makes the finals this year. :oldlol:

paksat
05-25-2022, 09:15 PM
dude also said the moon is made of gravy

8Ball
05-25-2022, 09:18 PM
Kyrie irving is an anti vaxxer that thinks the earth is flat.

No wonder he thinks kobe is the goat. He is a kenny level kobetard.

LeBron will fix him, westbrook for Kyrie, win win trade for all parties :lol

eliteballer
05-25-2022, 09:25 PM
Kyrie irving is an anti vaxxer that thinks the earth is flat.

No wonder he thinks kobe is the goat. He is a kenny level kobetard.

LeBron will fix him, westbrook for Kyrie, win win trade for all parties :lol

Juicers like LeBron don't rank...period.

SATAN
05-25-2022, 09:48 PM
Kobe nowhere near being the GOAT confirmed. :oldlol:

Lebron23
05-25-2022, 09:58 PM
https://brobible.com/sports/article/kyrie-irving-tells-story-about-kobe-bryant-who-he-believes-is-the-goat/

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.9611b88f4ea372497f1f473b44c29e2c?rik=7vozozMPls8 ewA&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Just shut the hell up. And make me some Chinese food

RRR3
05-25-2022, 09:59 PM
Kyrie is literally infamous for being a moron, how did you think this helps Kobe lmao

SouBeachTalents
05-25-2022, 10:05 PM
This only further establishes that Kobe is definitely not the GOAT.

John8204
05-25-2022, 10:05 PM
Hasn't Kobe suffered enough

Shooter
05-25-2022, 10:15 PM
Kobe about to be bounced from top 12 to 13 once Curry makes the finals this year. :oldlol:

:lol

dude also said the moon is made of gravy

:lol :lol

eliteballer
05-25-2022, 10:40 PM
Attack of the alts meltdown.

Axe
05-25-2022, 10:43 PM
Attack of the alts meltdown.

8Ball
05-25-2022, 11:05 PM
Thread backfire in hours like Russian offensive on Kiev :lol

Real Men Wear Green
05-25-2022, 11:08 PM
Given his age and how focused he's always been on individual scoring skills it isn't surprising.

8Ball
05-25-2022, 11:21 PM
Boston got rid of him for nothing in return and was 2 games away from the finals in 2020 and 1 game away from the finals in 2022.

Axe
05-26-2022, 08:00 AM
Boston got rid of him for nothing in return and was 2 games away from the finals in 2020 and 1 game away from the finals in 2022.
And also game away from making the finals four years ago while he was mia.

GimmeThat
05-26-2022, 08:16 AM
Whale Tank: where there are no strangers in the company

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Is it a surprise? The most skilled small guy recognizes Kobe's GOAT skillset. Irving would have been the next Kobe if he had grown to 6'4-6'6 with his skillset, but he's still one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history IMO. Maybe not in terms of overall accolades right now, but if you just look at peak play + skillset he has to be up there as a a high-volume scorer who's also capable of having 50/40/90 seasons while barely being 6 ft tall.

Boston's always had a deep squad, so Tatum & Brown developing into elite players years later is no surprise either, and they did add a couple other pieces to the roster that have played a key role in the Playoffs. They did not have a Grant Williams or this version of Robert Williams at the time + they also traded for Derrick White. It has nothing to do with Kyrie, who hasn't been there for 3 years.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2022, 10:26 AM
Is it a surprise? The most skilled small guy recognizes Kobe's GOAT skillset. Irving would have been the next Kobe if he had grown to 6'4-6'6 with his skillset, but he's still one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history IMO. Maybe not in terms of overall accolades right now, but if you just look at peak play + skillset he has to be up there as a a high-volume scorer who's also capable of having 50/40/90 seasons while barely being 6 ft tall.

Boston's always had a deep squad, so Tatum & Brown developing into elite players years later is no surprise either, and they did add a couple other pieces to the roster that have played a key role in the Playoffs. They did not have a Grant Williams or this version of Robert Williams at the time + they also traded for Derrick White. It has nothing to do with Kyrie, who hasn't been there for 3 years.
Nah

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 10:31 AM
Nah

Yes. How many players can score 27 ppg on 50/40/90 splits? Like 5 in total?

Axe
05-26-2022, 10:35 AM
:roll:

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2022, 10:42 AM
You’re entitled to your opinion, but unless you base your player evaluation almost entirely off of skillset & iso scoring ability, there’s just no way you could reach the conclusion that Kyrie is one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Just for reference, McGrady & Dwight didn’t even make the top 75 list and those two were undoubtably better than Kyrie.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 10:53 AM
You’re entitled to your opinion, but unless you base your player evaluation almost entirely off of skillset & iso scoring ability, there’s just no way you could reach the conclusion that Kyrie is one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Just for reference, McGrady & Dwight didn’t even make the top 75 list and those two were undoubtably better than Kyrie.

We're not talking about accolades. And Dwight 100% deserved to be in the top 75, he's top 50 if we're going to be objective, which the media ofc wasn't because of the off-court stuff. T-Mac's career was worse than Kyrie's and his prime lasted like 4 seasons and he did nothing in the POs, so of course he didn't make it. Peak T-Mac is top 50 skill-wise though and I think most people agree with that.

TheGoatest
05-26-2022, 10:54 AM
Well, I'll put it like this: Kobe is as GOAT as the earth is flat. :roll:

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2022, 10:57 AM
We're not talking about accolades. And Dwight 100% deserved to be in the top 75, he's top 50 if we're going to be objective, which the media ofc wasn't because of the off-court stuff. T-Mac's career was worse than Kyrie's and his prime lasted like 4 seasons and he did nothing in the POs, so of course he didn't make it. Peak T-Mac is top 50 skill-wise though and I think most people agree with that.
I’m not even talking accolades, Bill Walton’s prime lasted barely 2 seasons and he’d make my top 25 list based strictly off peak play.

1987_Lakers
05-26-2022, 11:01 AM
Imagine thinking Kyrie has a top 50 peak. lmao.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 11:07 AM
I’m not even talking accolades, Bill Walton’s prime lasted barely 2 seasons and he’d make my top 25 list based strictly off peak play.

Yup. So you can understand where I'm coming from when I'm talking about skill and peak play as opposed to just looking at the accolades.

1987_Lakers
05-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Yup. So you can understand where I'm coming from when I'm talking about skill and peak play as opposed to just looking at the accolades.

Kyrie at his peak got swept in the 1st round with Durant as his teammate.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2022, 11:10 AM
But still, Kyrie isn’t even coming close to making my top 50 peak list :lol And it’s no knock on him, there’s just been way too many ATG players that would be way more deserving than Kyrie.

Legend248
05-26-2022, 11:11 AM
He is one of the GOATS for sure behind MJ. I'd rather take a player who's played in the NBA's opinion over ESPN and basketball forums. LOL yall in here have brons nuts down your ****ing mouth yall think hes "THE GOAT" lmao based on ESPN hyping him up etc. Yall are some idiots in here

Phoenix
05-26-2022, 12:14 PM

Skill-wise TMac is more like top 20.

Real Men Wear Green
05-26-2022, 12:17 PM

McGrady didn't get to play with Lebron James. Team McGrady with James and you have a dynasty. McGrady has elite defending capability just as much shooting ability far more athletic ability and although not as good at dribbling was still an excellent ballhandler and most likely had better court vision getting almost as many assists peak vs peak from the wrong while Irving is a point guard. Also a better rebounder of course. No one would be able to handle a do of James and TMac.

dreamwarrior
05-26-2022, 12:28 PM
He's the GOAT trash talker. "Take off my shoes. You ain't Ballin like that. Take them off!" :roll:

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 12:30 PM
McGrady didn't get to play with Lebron James. Team McGrady with James and you have a dynasty. McGrady has elite defending capability just as much shooting ability far more athletic ability and although not as good at dribbling was still an excellent ballhandler and most likely had better court vision getting almost as many assists peak vs peak from the wrong while Irving is a point guard. Also a better rebounder of course. No one would be able to handle a do of James and TMac.

Not with the T-Mac that had a short prime and couldn't stay healthy. Obviously you could replace Kyrie with prime/peak T-Mac and win with that same roster as well. It's a close argument between the two IMO, though I like Irving's game more.

Skill-wise TMac is more like top 20.

Yeah, I think you could put him as high as top 20 in terms of peak play & skill.

Manny98
05-26-2022, 12:31 PM
Kyrie at his peak got swept in the 1st round with Durant as his teammate.
Peak LeBron got outplayed by Jason Terry

8Ball
05-26-2022, 12:33 PM
Its no surprise kobe fans are also kyrie fans.

1 dimensional chuckers.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 12:53 PM
Given his age and how focused he's always been on individual scoring skills it isn't surprising.

This. Doesn't surprise me at all. Kobe's a fan favourite for the crowd that ignores the value of defense, passing, paint scoring, off-ball scoring, and rebounding. Style over substance.

Kyrie views basketball as if it's a movie: the iso scorer is the hero, and everyone else doesn't matter. They're just puppets.

Kobe's problem, and also Kyrie's, is the poor shot selection and stagnation of the offense. Too much focus on making the tough shots.

Mike had it right: look for the easiest, highest quality shot first; the tough shot is the last resort.

Kobe did move off the ball well though. Have to give him props for that. Had a diverse scoring arsenal, too.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 01:01 PM
This. Doesn't surprise me at all. Kobe's a fan favourite for the crowd that ignores the value of defense, passing, paint scoring, off-ball scoring, and rebounding. Style over substance.

Kyrie views basketball as if it's a movie: the iso scorer is the hero, and everyone else doesn't matter. They're just puppets.

Kobe's problem, and also Kyrie's, is the poor shot selection and stagnation of the offense. Too much focus on making the tough shots.

Mike had it right: look for the easiest, highest quality shot first; the tough shot is the last resort.

Kobe did move off the ball well though. Have to give him props for that. Had a diverse scoring arsenal, too.

Kobe's one of the GOAT 2-way players in NBA history and one of the best rebounders & playmakers at his position. What are you smoking?

8Ball
05-26-2022, 01:03 PM
Kobe's one of the GOAT 2-way players in NBA history and one of the best rebounders & playmakers at his position. What are you smoking?

Post Kobe's finals stats. It's awful over 7 finals.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 01:06 PM

Where did I say that? You're just making things up. Stop straw-manning, dude.

His fans are usually those types who value isolation scoring over everything else. It's the 'pure hooper' culture; that AND1, 'who's the next MJ' phase from the 2000s. You can put Allen Iverson's fans in the same boat.

1987_Lakers
05-26-2022, 01:07 PM

Kobe stopped playing defense after 2006. 2007 & 2009-2016 he was pretty average, a liability on that end at times.

8Ball
05-26-2022, 01:10 PM

His fans are usually those types who value isolation scoring over everything else. It's the 'pure hooper' culture; that AND1, 'who's the next MJ' phase from the 2000s. You can put Allen Iverson's fans in the same boat.

It's low IQ fans.

All they see is basketball into the hoop.

The entire action and game being played is not seen to them, that is why they value isolation scoring even when it often times doesn't produce anything.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 01:21 PM

How do Kobe fans only value the scoring aspect of the game when Kobe was an all-around player who could do everything for his team?

I can agree on the AI part and even with a lot of the Irving, Ja & Curry fans, but Kobe is a bad example in this.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 01:35 PM
How do Kobe fans only value the scoring aspect of the game when Kobe was an all-around player who could do everything for his team?

I can agree on the AI part and even with a lot of the Irving, Ja & Curry fans, but Kobe is a bad example in this.

He tends to attract those types of fans. I'm not saying all of his fans are, just that Kyrie is a representative of that specific crowd. Hence his adoration of him. I don't think he values Kobe for his defense, rebounding, playmaking, or off-ball scoring.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 02:34 PM
He tends to attract those types of fans. I'm not saying all of his fans are, just that Kyrie is a representative of that specific crowd. Hence his adoration of him. I don't think he values Kobe for his defense, rebounding, playmaking, or off-ball scoring.

I guess, Kyrie is a weird person in general but I can understand why players respect him like he's one of the GOATs. It's not just the "dumb" fans who only see the highlights.

eliteballer
05-26-2022, 06:00 PM
Stop quoting yourself.

Bronbron23
05-26-2022, 08:34 PM

So many emotional haters on this thread. I don't personally have Kobe as the goat but I don't think people who do are crazy. No he doesn't have the accolades of Bron or MJ but the eye test with Kobe puts him as good or better than either. Basically if there were no stats and the only way to evaluate who was better was by actually watching the game and seeing who was better. This is why the eye test still has a place.

eliteballer
05-27-2022, 12:21 PM
So many emotional haters on this thread. I don't personally have Kobe as the goat but I don't think people who do are crazy. No he doesn't have the accolades of Bron or MJ but the eye test with Kobe puts him as good or better than either. Basically if there were no stats and the only way to evaluate who was better was by actually watching the game and seeing who was better. This is why the eye test still has a place.

There’s a dozen accounts in here by the same user. Roidhead Lebron isn’t in the convo.

Bronbron23
05-27-2022, 12:29 PM
There’s a dozen accounts in here by the same user. Roidhead Lebron isn’t in the convo.

Yeah there's definitely alot of Bron posters who are one guy but I disagree about Bron not being in the convo. Regardless of who your guy is Bron deserves to at least be in the convo.

90sgoat
05-27-2022, 12:39 PM
I think Kyrie has an undiagnosed mental condition, maybe Bipolar with psychotic symptoms.

He isn't right in the head and this opinion confirms it.

LeGoat4Life
05-27-2022, 01:46 PM
Kyrie going a bit overboard with this comment

But Kobe is a cemented top 8 players of all time

eliteballer
07-06-2022, 11:44 PM
Keep crying.

Shooter
07-06-2022, 11:46 PM
Kyrie going a bit overboard with this comment

But Kobe is a cemented top 8 players of all time

*15, sure.

hold this L
07-06-2022, 11:52 PM

They're either crazy or stupid. Kobe has absolutely zero case for the top best players all time. I have him 10th but you can move him 1-2 spots up/down at will.

SATAN
07-06-2022, 11:54 PM
Imagine using Kyrie Irving as your proof. :roll:

LeGoat4Life
07-07-2022, 10:03 AM
Definitely not Goat

But the general consensus have Kobe above Lebron

RRR3
07-07-2022, 02:14 PM
Dumbdumb23

Celtics 1825
07-07-2022, 02:39 PM
Idiot gives an idiotic take, what a surprise

Cali Syndicate
07-08-2022, 01:40 AM
Just shut the hell up. And make me some Chinese food

Damn wtf.