PDA

View Full Version : Is rebounding an underappreciated individual skill?

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 01:02 PM
Title.

The further back you go in NBA/basketball history, the more important rebounding was, I think. It's definitely not as important today as it was in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. I think things started to change in the '80s, as the game shifted away from the traditional big.

Don't get me wrong, rebounding is still crucial. It can absolutely swing a playoff series. Memphis was a powerhouse rebounding team all season.

But when we talk about individuals, is rebounding underappreciated? How much should we value the 14 and 15 rebounds that Jokic and Gobert grab each night?

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2022, 01:19 PM
we should value Jokic's boards. Gobert's apparently aren't important according to Manny

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 01:19 PM
Title.

The further back you go in NBA/basketball history, the more important rebounding was, I think. It's definitely not as important today as it was in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. I think things started to change in the '80s, as the game shifted away from the traditional big.

Don't get me wrong, rebounding is still crucial. It can absolutely swing a playoff series. Memphis was a powerhouse rebounding team all season.

But when we talk about individuals, is rebounding underappreciated? How much should we value the 14 and 15 rebounds that Jokic and Gobert grab each night?

Yup. That's why I lol @ the Bran fans who think Kobe was terrible in Game 7 against Boston. Find me another SG who plays lockdown defense & gets 15 rebounds in that spot.

warriorfan
05-26-2022, 01:23 PM
Yup. That's why I lol @ the Bran fans who think Kobe was terrible in Game 7 against Boston. Find me another SG who plays lockdown defense & gets 15 rebounds in that spot.

Kobe had a great game. That game 7 was slow and gritty. Bran stans don’t watch basketball though so they never even saw the game.

GimmeThat
05-26-2022, 01:34 PM
OP has never played basketball

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 01:35 PM
OP has never played basketball

I'm digging the new avatar, bro.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 01:38 PM

I can agree with that. It was an ugly game; great players find ways to have an impact when the shots aren't falling. That's what he did.

GimmeThat
05-26-2022, 01:54 PM
I'm digging the new avatar, bro.

nice caption

FultzNationRISE
05-26-2022, 01:55 PM

He shot 6-24 and guarded Rajon Rondo.

He better have gotten 15 rebounds, cuz he damn sure didnt do anything else.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 01:56 PM
Meh...yes and no.

There’s an art to it to a degree, but people who are consistently asked to just do that are going to have more rebounds than people who aren’t. Any good player who puts their mind to rebounding can do it well. Some are better than others at it.

Bronbron23
05-26-2022, 02:24 PM
Title.

Hard to say. Most rebounds are uncontested defensive ones so it's really not that impressive. The better measure for a great rebounder is offensive rebounds.

ImKobe
05-26-2022, 02:31 PM

Rondo himself said that Kobe adjusted and a found a way to beat them. And he had 10 pts on good overall efficiency in the 4th and set up the Artest 3, so it's not like he was a non-factor on offense.

Rebounds can win or lose a championship. Just ask the 2013 Spurs. There were two key offensive rebounds down the stretch that led to 6 pts for Miami. Duncan not being in the game is the biggest failure in Pop's coaching career IMO.

1987_Lakers
05-26-2022, 02:33 PM

100% facts

warriorfan
05-26-2022, 03:36 PM

Rondo wasn’t a meme back then, he was an all star level player who would step it up in the playoffs, it was really a big 4 at that point. Rondo just didn’t have the notoriety as the others. Kobe played excellent defense on Rondo and then made the late game adjustment in sagging off of him drastically, taking away his drive and passing lanes and forcing him to shoot which he was his weakest area and was uncomfortable in doing. This allowed Kobe both to swarm on help defense and go after lots of rebounds.

You could probably find the game in YouTube you should watch it some time. Was an incredible game.

Kblaze8855
05-26-2022, 03:51 PM
It is but just as important is boxing out even if you don’t get it. The number of series and title swinging plays made because someone was ball watching not boxing out would blow you away.