PDA

View Full Version : Will Chet Holmgren be a bust or a superstar?

eliteballer
05-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Seems like one of those guys where there’s no in between. It’s one or the other.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2022, 06:08 PM
He's pretty skilled. Has to get stronger and stay healthy

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 06:09 PM
To me he's one of those guys that could be perfectly in between those two things.

He does a lot well. Incredibly efficient, knows his spots, knows other peoples' spots, can put it on the floor. The frame of course a concern but idk if he can truly get that much stronger.

He's certainly different from anyone we've ever seen come in but I think his floor is an overall solidly-to-highly impactful player who does everything right. His ceiling is something weird but idk if it's BITW.

BarberSchool
05-26-2022, 06:22 PM
At first glance he can’t be anything but a bust.

But today’s league is softer than the 90’s, so who knows.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 06:28 PM
At first glance he can’t be anything but a bust.

But today’s league is softer than the 90’s, so who knows.

Well he's not coming up in the 90s. Greg Ostertag would never see an NBA court now.

Work with what you have.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2022, 06:36 PM
Well he's not coming up in the 90s. Greg Ostertag would never see an NBA court now.

Work with what you have.

Tag was a great rim protector and offensive rebounder. Enough to keep him in the league. Might even get in shape if he doesn't have to guard Shaq anymore

HylianNightmare
05-26-2022, 06:39 PM
Bust

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 06:40 PM
Tag was a great rim protector and offensive rebounder. Enough to keep him in the league. Might even get in shape if he doesn't have to guard Shaq anymore

What's the difference between him and Walker Kessler..who might not be drafted?

If he can't move away from the rim he's useless. Or he'll play 11 minutes a game just to get in foul trouble.

90sgoat
05-26-2022, 06:42 PM
Poor man's Porzingis, which if he can stay healthy, is a borderline All Star.

I'm basing this on about 20 seconds of Youtube and decades of experience.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2022, 06:43 PM
What's the difference between him and Walker Kessler..who might not be drafted?

If he can't move away from the rim he's useless. Or he'll play 11 minutes a game just to get in foul trouble.

not familiar with Kessler.

rim protection is still important. Might have developed a jump shot if he was growing up today. Most do

90sgoat
05-26-2022, 06:43 PM

Work with what you have.

Ostertag would easily find a niche.

If Zubac can be in the league, then so can Ostertag.

His value would be reduced obviously, but he'd be good for 15 minutes of offensive rebounding.

Lebron23
05-26-2022, 06:44 PM
He needs to gain some weight, But as far as talent is concern he is very talented. Might play the Small forward position someday.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 06:45 PM
Ok...maybe I was overzealous slightly about Ostertag never seeing the floor in general. He wouldn't be a starter and I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't see the floor much in a series against a team like the Warriors.

Chet could.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 06:53 PM
not familiar with Kessler.

rim protection is still important. Might have developed a jump shot if he was growing up today. Most do

Auburn guy. Averaged like 4.5 blocks a game last year and is working on an outside shot.

If he doesn't develop it he won't be a useful guy.

Xiao Yao You
05-26-2022, 06:57 PM
Auburn guy. Averaged like 4.5 blocks a game last year and is working on an outside shot.

If he doesn't develop it he won't be a useful guy.

looks like a top 20 pick so a lot of front offices must think he at least has the potential to be useful

FultzNationRISE
05-26-2022, 07:34 PM
Ok...maybe I was overzealous slightly about Ostertag never seeing the floor in general. He wouldn't be a starter and I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't see the floor much in a series against a team like the Warriors.

Chet could.

Nah Im with you on Ostertag.

Might be different even just five years ago when you had Aaron Gray types still carving out roles as wide bodies in the paint. But the game has evolved so much literally within just the last couple years, prime Ostertag would probably not be signed headed into next season. Hes too clunky.

Im sure he would be a *better* shooter if he trained in this era, but theres no reason to believe hed be great. And hes not nimble enough on his feet defensively for there really to be any reason for him to be on the floor.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2022, 07:39 PM
He's a polarizing talent, that's for sure.

You know what? I'll say he becomes a superstar. Might take some time, but he'll get there. I think he'll be a better version of Porzingis. 25/10 with 2 blocks a game, shooting close to 60% TS. Maybe fewer rebounds.

But, again, he's polarizing. He might be a Dragan Bender level bust. It'll be interesting when this thread is bumped continually over the next five seasons.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2022, 08:40 PM
looks like a top 20 pick so a lot of front offices must think he at least has the potential to be useful

Meh. He could just as easily go out of the first round.

He'd be a hotter commodity in the 90s because he actually doesn't lumber in the same way like an Ostertag.

Either way he certainly won't be playing more than 15-17 meaningful minutes a game. And that is being generous.

iamgine
05-26-2022, 08:58 PM
Seems like one of those guys where there’s no in between. It’s one or the other.

Why not. He could be like a Myles Turner type.

I guess that's considered a bust?

ralph_i_el
05-26-2022, 09:23 PM
I have no ****ing idea. He's a weird case. Will his weight and frame increase or decrease his injury risk? If he's healthy enough of the time, he will be a valuable player.

plowking
05-26-2022, 09:29 PM
Not sure about superstar, but he will be a very valuable player in the league.

He is elite on defense, and will continue to be in the NBA based on his size and ability to move and cover just about everyone.

He'll probably only get better as a shooter as well.