PDA

View Full Version : Is LaVine the right addition to the Mavericks

bdonovan
05-29-2022, 07:29 AM
Re:
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mavericks-more-interested-zach-210048444.html

Despite long-running speculation that the Mavericks hope to trade for Rudy Gobert, I’m told that an all-out pursuit of Utah’s All-Star center and defensive anchor is unlikely.

As much as Cuban and GM Nico Harrison have openly acknowledged a pressing need to bolster their rim protection and rebounding, Dallas sees LaVine as the sort of player who could fill other crucial needs with his ability to both play off Dončić as a long-range shooter and likewise collapse defenses by slashing to the basket to score.

dirkdiggler41
05-29-2022, 07:36 AM
How is his defense? He looks to be one of the best spot-up shooters in the NBA and if he allows himself to be more of a spot-up shooter and not a slasher he will be very good playing along Luka.

People love Brunson, but despite his success in the playoff, he only averaged 3.7 assists. You are trading LaVine for Brunson if this is going to happen.

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 12:36 PM
He'd have to buy in defensively and attack the rim a lot.

ErhnamDjinn
05-29-2022, 01:25 PM
Who would be a good offseason pickup for the mavs?

Dream:??

Realistically:???

FultzNationRISE
05-29-2022, 01:37 PM
I dont really see any significant and realistic moves for improving the Mavs, Im also not sure they need to make any. They just reached a conference finals and the team itself is pretty young. Just because you dont win it all one year doesnt mean you cant win the next.

I would try running it back next year with minimal turnover and see how it goes. If they somehow regress you can look to make changes then, and if not just keep pushing with the current squad.

tpols
05-29-2022, 01:43 PM
There will always be an excuse. Lavine will be scapegoated the same way Dinwiddie was. He shot on a blistering 69 TS and 124 ORTG in the warriors series and people were labeling him as inefficient.

The fact of the matter is with the absurd ball dominant low assist playground style the mavs play, they will need a Super star to compete. Simple all star talents aren't enough.

BarberSchool
05-29-2022, 02:36 PM
Christian Wood

Zach LaVine

=

Mavericks 2024 & 2025 NBA Champions.

AlternativeAcc.
05-29-2022, 03:16 PM
There will always be an excuse. Lavine will be scapegoated the same way Dinwiddie was. He shot on a blistering 69 TS and 124 ORTG in the warriors series and people were labeling him as inefficient.

The fact of the matter is with the absurd ball dominant low assist playground style the mavs play, they will need a Super star to compete. Simple all star talents aren't enough.

What if they have 5 all star talents like the Warriors? Is that enough?

ArbitraryWater
05-29-2022, 03:22 PM
Christian Wood

Zach LaVine

=

Mavericks 2024 & 2025 NBA Champions.

yes

tpols
05-29-2022, 03:34 PM
What if they have 5 all star talents like the Warriors? Is that enough?

Well lets see...

Wiggins was considered a bust before he joined Golden State, Looney was a 30th pick, Dray was 35th pick, and Poole was 28th pick and even summoned from the development league. So you can't just steal talent that was developed and polished.

The fact of the matter is the warriors maximize their talent. They play the highest level of basketball imaginable coupled with elite ball movement, high IQ passing, patient playmaking execution, and expert shot making skill.

You don't get to steal finished products and place them into sub optimal situations. That's not how this works.

ArbitraryWater
05-29-2022, 03:38 PM
Well lets see...

Wiggins was considered a bust before he joined Golden State, Looney was a 30th pick, Dray was 35th pick, and Poole was 28th pick and even summoned from the development league. So you can't just steal talent that was developed and polished.

The fact of the matter is the warriors maximize their talent. They play the highest level of basketball imaginable coupled with elite ball movement, high IQ passing, patient playmaking execution, and expert shot making skill.

You don't get to steal finished products and place them into sub optimal situations. That's not how this works.

no

AlternativeAcc.
05-29-2022, 03:40 PM
Well lets see...

So you bring up picks and ignore Wiggins was drafted number 1 and has averaged over 20 his entire career... better than anything on the mavs by far. And he's an elite defender.

And the warriors make good selections... they spot talent that others overlook. Dray is arguably the greatest defender in the last 20 years and an elite playmaker. You don't teach that. He has that. Poole averaged 22ppg on 62% TS as a 21 year old rookie without curry... thats elite. Klay is the greatest 3 point shooter ever and elite defender. Clutch as ****. You cant teach that. Systems are created THROUGU talent. Not the other way around. Thats why the Spurs haven't won shit since they lost the talent.

Warriors have elite talent and its not because of Currys gravity and whatever weird shit you guys always give him credit for. Santa isn't real. Time for you to grow up

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Well lets see...

And the Mavericks developed Maxi (undrafted), DFS (undrafted), and Brunson (2nd round)...developed Powell (2nd round) as well.

You are acting like the Mavs have all this great talent they didn't develop. It's laughable how ignorant you are here.

Again, actually look at the Mavs roster...actually look at it the way you are looking at the Warriors...and your conclusion is that the Mavericks aren't maximizing their talent? It is all 2nd rounders and undrafted players...sorry, I think Bullock went late in the first round iirc.

Going on talking about all-star help isn't enough...as if the team has all-stars...I'll take some first round talent...shit, all-stars would be a ****ing dream.

What the **** are you talking about?

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 03:51 PM

Nobody labeled him inefficient in that series. People say that, rightly, about his normal level of play. He's an inefficient volume scorer that doesn't defend or rebound well. He's not a winning player in a big role unless it is on an utterly loaded team. He might have value as a heater off the bench in situations, but he takes up too much of the cap for a role like that most likely on the Mavs...especially if we add someone else and get Hardaway back.

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 03:57 PM
Who would be a good offseason pickup for the mavs?

Dream:??

Realistically:???

Dream: a championship 2nd option and a center better than Powell

Realistically: a center better than Powell

tpols
05-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Nobody labeled him inefficient in that series. People say that, rightly, about his normal level of play. He's an inefficient volume scorer that doesn't defend or rebound well. He's not a winning player in a big role unless it is on an utterly loaded team. He might have value as a heater off the bench in situations, but he takes up too much of the cap for a role like that most likely on the Mavs...especially if we add someone else and get Hardaway back.

I'm sorry but you have to hold your L.

69 TS??? Inefficient?

Are you kidding me? I get you were undermanned. I have many posts agreeing with that. But to sit back and tell me in your experience as a mavs fan that Dinwiddie was "inefficient"?

That's totally absurd. And a clown level take.

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry but you have to hold your L.

69 TS??? Inefficient?

Are you kidding me? I get you were undermanned. I have many posts agreeing with that. But to sit back and tell me in your experience as a mavs fan that Dinwiddie was "inefficient"?

That's totally absurd. And a clown level take.

I don't think you can read. Again, nobody said he was inefficient against the Suns or Warriors...nobody. We are talking about him as a player overall...he's been inefficient most of his career and he doesn't offer much else other than some streak scoring off the bench....if you are a championship caliber team.

Again, please try to read slowly and educate yourself.

But, please, tell us more about how the Mavs aren't maximizing their supremely talented team...oh, and Spence is another 2nd rounder on the Mavs...LOL

tpols
05-29-2022, 04:35 PM
I don't think you can read. Again, nobody said he was inefficient against the Suns or Warriors...nobody. We are talking about him as a player overall...he's been inefficient most of his career and he doesn't offer much else other than some streak scoring off the bench....if you are a championship caliber team.

Again, please try to read slowly and educate yourself.

But, please, tell us more about how the Mavs aren't maximizing their supremely talented team...oh, and Spence is another 2nd rounder on the Mavs...LOL

:roll:

You were saying if you had Desmond bane you'd be better off in this years playoffs. While Dinwiddie smoked him by every measure against the same opponents.

You're complaining about efficiency while dinwiddie shot 62TS after you traded for him and an astounding 69TS against your toughest playoff competition.

What does it take for you admit you were wrong? 80 TS? 90 TS? 95%FG percentage?

:lol

Just admit it bro.

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 04:38 PM
:roll:

You were saying if you had Desmond bane you'd be better off in this years playoffs. While Dinwiddie smoked him by every measure against the same opponents.

You're complaining about efficiency while dinwiddie shot 62TS after you trad3d for him and an astounding 69TS against your toughest playoff competition.

What does it take for you admit you were wrong? 80 TS? 90 TS? 95%FG percentage?

:lol

Just admit it bro.

Yes, because Desmond Bane does other things...and I think that would clearly be more valuable to this team. What is funny...is that Bane has a much higher TS% and he's also a really good defender. Why are you so low on him if TS% matters so much?????

I'm not complaining about anything...I'm telling you what he's been.

Again, go back to telling us about all this untapped talent on the Mavs...

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 04:46 PM
Just so you don't get away from this...you are saying I was wrong to want Bane over Spence...and you think TS% is really important...

Cool...

In the regular season this year...

Player 1 - 18/4/3...59% TS
Player 2 - 14/4/5....54% TS

In the playoffs this year...

Player 1 - 19/4/3...65% TS
Player 2 - 14/2/4....58% TS

Player 1 happens to be Bane. Player 2 happens to be Spence.

Bane is also a considerably better defender and plays better without the ball in his hands...which makes more sense next to Luka. He's also a better spot up 3 point shooter...again, which makes more sense next to a player like Luka.

Do you actually believe the shit you say? I really don't know how it is possible to be this ignorant.

ArbitraryWater
05-29-2022, 05:03 PM
Just so you don't get away from this...you are saying I was wrong to want Bane over Spence...and you think TS% is really important...

Cool...

Bane is also a considerably better defender and plays better without the ball in his hands...which makes more sense next to Luka. He's also a better spot up 3 point shooter...again, which makes more sense next to a player like Luka.

Do you actually believe the shit you say? I really don't know how it is possible to be this ignorant.

lets see him abandon his principles now

always the sign of being wrong and ignorant

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 05:10 PM
lets see him abandon his principles now

always the sign of being wrong and ignorant

I imagine he'll be gone for a bit on this one.

tpols
05-29-2022, 05:16 PM

Cool...

Oh no... :oldlol:

You don't get to abandon your position.

Dinwiddie destroyed all of your arguments. He shot on 69 TS and 124 ORTG vs the warriors. He shot on 62 TS in the regular season over 20+ games to prove it wasn't a fluke.

You would have lost by even more with bane in the playoffs as against the SAME EXACT OPPONENTS ... that bane played worse.

What do you have to say for your self?

DMAVS41
05-29-2022, 09:47 PM
That isn't how reality works...but, again, please tell us more about all those first round picks on the Mavs that makes them so talented.

90sgoat
05-29-2022, 10:36 PM
Definitely not.

Butler is the right addition.

Lavine is a low IQ selfish player.