PDA

View Full Version : What happens cap-wise when a guy like MJ retires, team signs Rodman, then MJ comes ba

FultzNationRISE
05-29-2022, 12:27 PM
How does the league prevent this kind of circumvention of the cap for the purpose of collusion?

And yes I realize Rodman was traded not signed outright, but in theory the principle remains. If a guy files for retirement, such as MJ, his salary comes off the team books.

Once the team fills his spot with another contract - what happens if the original guy comes out of retirement? The team still has his rights, no? And they cant just void his replacement's contract. But now they're way over the cap and have two guys they couldnt have signed if one didnt retire. How does that work?

How do teams prevent guys like MJ from retiring to rest up while allowing the team to collude with other stars before he returns?

HylianNightmare
05-29-2022, 12:53 PM
Cause this happens so often

FultzNationRISE
05-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Cause this happens so often

WE KNOW it doesnt happen often, if retirement collusions happened all the time we would know how they're handled.

The whole point is it's a rarity. I'm not sure we've even seen it happen again since MJ did it. But my question is what happens if or when it does happen again?

Obviously from a fan's perspective we can 'punish' it by not counting any subsequent rings on a guy's resume the way most do with MJ (96-98 chips are considered vacated). But does the league get involved in any way, and if so how??

Baller789
05-29-2022, 10:25 PM
How does the league prevent this kind of circumvention of the cap for the purpose of collusion?

And yes I realize Rodman was traded not signed outright, but in theory the principle remains. If a guy files for retirement, such as MJ, his salary comes off the team books.

Once the team fills his spot with another contract - what happens if the original guy comes out of retirement? The team still has his rights, no? And they cant just void his replacement's contract. But now they're way over the cap and have two guys they couldnt have signed if one didnt retire. How does that work?

How do teams prevent guys like MJ from retiring to rest up while allowing the team to collude with other stars before he returns?

Wasn't Rodman traded when Jordan was already back?

The Bulls didn't have Rodman when they lost to Penny's Magic.

HylianNightmare
05-29-2022, 11:10 PM
Whatever Aldridge did