PDA

View Full Version : Analytics have destroyed the game to the point...

PeroAntic
06-10-2022, 11:16 PM
...that the NBA finals doesn't even look like real basketball at this point. The entire game looks weird AF because both teams are just 'playing the percentages'. From pushing the pace to playing 4 on 5 to giving away the 2. Theres Xs and Os flying all over the place, just constant looking for mismatches and overthinking by the coaches. The game has evolved to the point that everyone just plays a role. Just weird and unpleasant to watch basketball.

FromDowntown
06-10-2022, 11:22 PM
the game got smarter.

accept the chef, hes cookin 40 tonight

Im so nba'd out
06-10-2022, 11:23 PM
...that the NBA finals doesn't even look like real basketball at this point. The entire game looks weird AF because both teams are just 'playing the percentages'. From pushing the pace to playing 4 on 5 to giving away the 2. Theres Xs and Os flying all over the place, just constant looking for mismatches and overthinking by the coaches. The game has evolved to the point that everyone just plays a role. Just weird and unpleasant to watch basketball.

Ok then stop watching….

PeroAntic
06-10-2022, 11:26 PM
the game got smarter.

accept the chef, hes cookin 40 tonight

The game got smarter but human IQ stayed the same. Watching these players desperately struggle to make decisions in order to stay efficient is excruciating. It makes for awkward basketball, and its not like the overall efficiency is higher anyway.

FKAri
06-10-2022, 11:30 PM
The game got smarter but human IQ stayed the same. Watching these players desperately struggle to make decisions in order to stay efficient is excruciating. It makes for awkward basketball, and its not like the overall efficiency is higher anyway.

It's a zero sum game. Offenses and defenses are both smarter and more well prepared than ever.

PeroAntic
06-10-2022, 11:34 PM
It's a zero sum game. Offenses and defenses are both smarter and more well prepared than ever.

I didn't say otherwise. But it makes for awkward basketball which is less attractive to the viewer. You wonder why a chess game does not fill the arena? This is why.

Spurs m8
06-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Decent post, OP.

It isn't free flowing entertaining basketball and I think you've pretty much nailed why.

I know the finals is generally less flowing, but in this case, it isn't because of extra tight D.

You're a solid poster, op

FKAri
06-10-2022, 11:39 PM
I didn't say otherwise. But it makes for awkward basketball which is less attractive to the viewer. You wonder why a chess game does not fill the arena? This is why.

I agree it's a worse viewing experience. But I blame the rules of the game moreso than those exploiting it.

PeroAntic
06-10-2022, 11:51 PM
Decent post, OP.

It isn't free flowing entertaining basketball and I think you've pretty much nailed why.

I know the finals is generally less flowing, but in this case, it isn't because of extra tight D.

likewise m8 .:cheers:

MavAlbert
06-11-2022, 02:45 AM

so you have no idea what a zero sum game is

warriorfan
06-11-2022, 03:27 AM
so you have no idea what a zero sum game is

:roll:

Forgive him he’s low iq

8Ball
06-11-2022, 07:01 AM
More fun than watching low skilled basketball in the 90s and early 2000s that's for sure.

Full Court
06-11-2022, 09:21 AM
I kind of disagree. I don't think it's this high level chess stemming from application of analytics. Like someone pointed out, you're giving the ten players on the court WAY too much credit for strategic thinking. I think it's mostly a matter of both teams playing heavy, heavy defense, which greatly disrupts a flowing offense.

Spuddywebby
06-11-2022, 09:59 AM
When the Celtics were down 3 with about 2 minutes left, they had 4 straight possessions (maybe 5) where they jacked up a three and missed. No penetration, no pick and roll, no give and go, no mid range. Not sure this is smarter basketball.

Bankaii
06-11-2022, 01:26 PM
Decent post, OP.

Even when you’re trying to make a decent post it’s still utterly retarded lol.

Objectivity
06-11-2022, 04:40 PM

:roll::roll::roll:

90sgoat
06-11-2022, 05:50 PM
Not watching.

Warriors were always a very unlikeable boring team, only worth watching because they stuck it to Lebron.

The only thing worth watching in the NBA is Luka and Giannis, that's it.

3ba11
06-11-2022, 06:01 PM

The problem is that "smarter" defense and offense doesn't require better basketball players - it requires "roles" of spotting up or driving or dunker spot

Some bum that is taking a spot-up three or getting an open dunk is nowhere near a guy like say, Jack Sikma, who didn't need a modern offensive format to get him looks

Offense is simply easier now due to spacing, hands-off mandate, no-impede mandate, open paint mandate (3 sec) and no physicality.. it's bball 101.. offense is easier with spacing that without
The game is actually incredibly dumbed down and easier to analyze

Gohan
06-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Not watching.

Warriors were always a very unlikeable boring team, only worth watching because they stuck it to Lebron.

The only thing worth watching in the NBA is Luka and Giannis, that's it.

Steph is way funner to watch than luka whine on every single play

ArbitraryWater
06-11-2022, 07:16 PM

:roll::roll:

true

but gotta give him props for the attempt

SATAN
06-11-2022, 11:14 PM

:oldlol: