PDA

View Full Version : So what exactly is the issue now with Klay Thompson?

PeroAntic
06-11-2022, 08:34 AM
He still puts up decent numbers, but something seems off. He doesn't look slower to me but more like he forgot how to move in the Warriors scheme. Hes basically a role player.

SouBeachTalents
06-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Might be the injury that kept him sidelined nearly 3 years.

Hoopexpert
06-11-2022, 08:56 AM
He a step slower. Especially on defence.

No longer that lockdown defender he was before.

Still good though. He will get better

Shogon
06-11-2022, 08:56 AM

:roll:

It really is amazing how utterly oblivious people are.

John8204
06-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Klay Thompson is going to make an MVP run next season because the Warriors are going to focus on him getting back in basketball shape and getting his timing right.

ArbitraryWater
06-11-2022, 09:02 AM

:roll::roll::roll:

HoopsNY
06-11-2022, 09:11 AM
I think part of it is the layoff he's had, but that might be the least of it. A bigger part of it is that he's up against a great defensive team in Boston, much better than anything they've seen this postseason. In addition, Klay has been spotty in his career in the playoffs and finals.

Going into the finals he was averaging 20 PPG on 46% shooting, 40% from 3pt distance in the playoffs. So, I don't think most of this is due to the time off.

tpols
06-11-2022, 09:16 AM

He had no problem doing this to a top ranked defense just a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/XWDUBelP1LE

Klay isn't a guy who relies on athleticism. Hes literally moving exactly how he did before. He's a shooter who is often inconsistent. He was ass in the 2016 Finals at his peak too.

tpols
06-11-2022, 09:19 AM
I think part of it is the layoff he's had, but that might be the least of it. A bigger part of it is that he's up against a great defensive team in Boston, much better than anything they've seen this postseason. In addition, Klay has been spotty in his career in the playoffs and finals.

Going into the finals he was averaging 20 PPG on 46% shooting, 40% from 3pt distance in the playoffs. So, I don't think most of this is due to the time off.

Exactly. He's averaging the same thing through 3 rounds that he did in 2016. And then he shit the bed in the Finals just like he's doing now. People blaming injury aren't watching. He's literally playing the same as he always has.

PeroAntic
06-11-2022, 09:22 AM

This moron and the other ones who think he made an amazing point obviously never heard about begging the question logical fallacy.

Lets spell it out more clearly for the mentally challenged.

Yes, I know he was injured. So what did his injury change in his game and how exactly did he decline because of that.

It begs the question.

Get it now? Your answer is like being asked 'why were you late' and answering 'because I did not arrive in time'.

PeroAntic
06-11-2022, 09:24 AM
Exactly. He's averaging the same thing through 3 rounds that he did in 2016. And then he shit the bed in the Finals just like he's doing now. People blaming injury aren't watching. He's literally playing the same as he always has.

Something is off. I also think defensively he lost quickness, but on offense he doesnt move well. Could be the Celtics but it also could be that he lost something in a cognitive sense.

Shogon
06-11-2022, 09:33 AM
This moron and the other ones who think he made an amazing point obviously never heard about begging the question logical fallacy.

Lets spell it out more clearly for the mentally challenged.

Yes, I know he was injured. So what did his injury change in his game and how exactly did he decline because of that.

It begs the question.

Get it now? Your answer is like being asked 'why were you late' and answering 'because I did not arrive in time'.

https://static3.bigstockphoto.com/6/9/2/large1500/29686295.jpg

1987_Lakers
06-11-2022, 10:09 AM
I thought he played solid last night, gave you 18 on 4-10 from 3 and his defense in the 4th was great.

DMAVS41
06-11-2022, 10:12 AM

I don't believe that you believe this.

You are telling me that you are watching Klay right now and you think he's moving as well as he used to? You think his defense is as good as it used to be? You think his driving is the same?

This is the new "hot take"...Klay is exactly the same as he used to be?????

1987_Lakers
06-11-2022, 10:18 AM
[/B]

You are telling me that you are watching Klay right now and you think he's moving as well as he used to? You think his defense is as good as it used to be? You think his driving is the same?

Yea, his shooting is still there, and his defense is not a liability, but I remember his movement being better before the injury. Before the injury the Warriors on defense would put Klay on the best perimeter player, now Wiggins has that responsibility. He for sure has lost a little quickness.

Overdrive
06-11-2022, 10:29 AM

You're talking to a guy, who believes Rose would still be his '11 form if he was not oppressed by his coaches.

tpols
06-11-2022, 10:37 AM
[/B]

Sure.

Klay averaged 20 on elite efficiency in the 1st 3 rounds this year. That's better than what he put up in 2015, 2017, and 2018.

Do you realize the Warriors won their first title with Klay averaging 15 ppg on 40% FG and 30% from 3pt range in the Finals? He's doing better than that right now in this years Finals.

The facts simply don't agree with your stance. He's literally running off ball taking all the same shots and playing the same way. And his defense has always been overrated. Kyrie torched him, Dame torched him, a bunch of guys have gone off on him over the years. That's why they use Wiggins now as their stud man defender because he's a way better defender than Klay ever was.

LeCola
06-11-2022, 10:39 AM
His shot selection is so bad. Because he couldnt play any games in last 3 years.

Gohan
06-11-2022, 03:39 PM
Sure.

Klay averaged 20 on elite efficiency in the 1st 3 rounds this year. That's better than what he put up in 2015, 2017, and 2018.

Do you realize the Warriors won their first title with Klay averaging 15 ppg on 40% FG and 30% from 3pt range in the Finals? He's doing better than that right now in this years Finals.

The facts simply don't agree with your stance. He's literally running off ball taking all the same shots and playing the same way. And his defense has always been overrated. Kyrie torched him, Dame torched him, a bunch of guys have gone off on him over the years. That's why they use Wiggins now as their stud man defender because he's a way better defender than Klay ever was.

Finally someone realizes that klay never been that great of a defender overrated as hell. Also he is kind of being lazy when it comes to rebounds and just hustle plays. Either hes being lazy or he can barely move anymore im not sure

FilmyCogTurner
06-11-2022, 05:29 PM
Seems like he's hunting his shot too much and also having Curry/KD orbiting around you is a lot different than Curry/Poole/Wiggins/Porter and role players all looking to score as well. He seems a bit slower and doesn't have the separation from the pack like he used to.

tpols
06-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Finally someone realizes that klay never been that great of a defender overrated as hell. Also he is kind of being lazy when it comes to rebounds and just hustle plays. Either hes being lazy or he can barely move anymore im not sure

The thing is klays not an elite athlete. Wiggins parents were Olympian track stars. He got those genetics. Most of his career he was lazy because he was in a terrible franchise. If you look at every elite defender ever they all had elite athletic ability. Klay doesn't have that. He's always been just a simple good man to man defender. Nothing more. The winning spotlight overrated his worth especially on that end.

ArbitraryWater
06-11-2022, 07:15 PM
He had no problem doing this to a top ranked defense just a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/XWDUBelP1LE

Klay isn't a guy who relies on athleticism. Hes literally moving exactly how he did before. He's a shooter who is often inconsistent. He was ass in the 2016 Finals at his peak too.

oh, that must mean he is permanently the same.

AlternativeAcc.
06-11-2022, 07:49 PM
Klay hit the two biggest shots in the series so far...

Casual fans will never fully appreciate his value. But I do. And I'd give him FMVP.

Gohan
06-11-2022, 07:51 PM

Casual fans will never fully appreciate his value. But I do. And I'd give him FMVP.

I hope you dont hate iverson as much as curry, that would devastate me

Lakers Legend#32
06-12-2022, 01:58 AM
WSU hick

dirkdiggler41
06-12-2022, 06:31 AM
lol. People are just looking at averages and say he played fine in the other series. In the first 4 games against Dallas, he scored 15 ppg on less than 30% from downtown. Against Memphis, it was the same, just with 25% from downtown. People seem to expect greatness and if not, they suck. He is doing good.

He just needs a good game and everybody will talk about how he is one of the best shooters ever.

ImKobe
06-12-2022, 12:06 PM

Curry is averaging 34 ppg on 66%TS, clown.

As far as OP goes, Klay's just fine defensively and not far off from his overall scoring numbers in his prime, people are just nostalgic about pre-injury Klay and what he did against Toronto, but overall he was always an inconsistent scorer and a streaky shooter. Dray shot better than him from 3 for their 2017 title run and Klay only averaged 15 ppg to Dray's 13 at the time. Despite Klay's inconsistent shooting in these POs, he's still averaging 19.3 ppg and is shooting 38.7% from 3 on 9 attempts, which is on par with his 2015 and 2017 Playoff runs.

AlternativeAcc.
06-12-2022, 01:49 PM
Curry is averaging 34 ppg on 66%TS, clown.

As far as OP goes, Klay's just fine defensively and not far off from his overall scoring numbers in his prime, people are just nostalgic about pre-injury Klay and what he did against Toronto, but overall he was always an inconsistent scorer and a streaky shooter. Dray shot better than him from 3 for their 2017 title run and Klay only averaged 15 ppg to Dray's 13 at the time. Despite Klay's inconsistent shooting in these POs, he's still averaging 19.3 ppg and is shooting 38.7% from 3 on 9 attempts, which is on par with his 2015 and 2017 Playoff runs.

I score it like boxing

Curry was responsible for 2 of the losses by choking in the 4th, and in the 2 wins Klay has hit the biggest shots and overall, the warriors won because of defense... in game 4 they finished on a 21-6 run... that's winning based off D and that huge 3 Klay hit to give them the lead

Curry is enjoying a lucky hot streak, he's shooting 10% higher from 3 than his career norm in the finals... it's a lucky hot streak like Horford in game 1

I have Klay as my FMVP so far. Wiggins is in the running for shutting down Tatum

BarberSchool
06-12-2022, 01:59 PM
While Klay was never overly muscular up top, Klay Def lost some UPPER BODY muscle mass during the process (which he has no excuse for), also he definitely lost some flexibility, as he plays more erect than he used to.

Klay also says he fully trusts his legs again, but I don’t see it, I haven’t seen him take a really torque heavy plant/cut, where you really dig in and explode off it. Either on defense or on offense. I get it, why take the risk ? But it’s made him a slightly lesser version of himself, physically. I think he also still doesn’t have the same endurance, which is understandable.

Indian guy
06-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Physically he looks just fine. Seems more like a rhythm/timing issue. That's what's going to happen when you were out for 2 1/2 years. He should be fine next year.

rmt
06-13-2022, 12:33 AM
I score it like boxing

Curry was responsible for 2 of the losses by choking in the 4th, and in the 2 wins Klay has hit the biggest shots and overall, the warriors won because of defense... in game 4 they finished on a 21-6 run... that's winning based off D and that huge 3 Klay hit to give them the lead

Curry is enjoying a lucky hot streak, he's shooting 10% higher from 3 than his career norm in the finals... it's a lucky hot streak like Horford in game 1

I have Klay as my FMVP so far. Wiggins is in the running for shutting down Tatum

Klay (half the average of Curry) as FMVP - must be thinking like yours that awarded Iggy the FMVP in '15.

Sure - averaging 34 points over 4 games is like Horford's one game of 26.