PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else surprised at the Low Finals ratings so far this year?

1987_Lakers
06-14-2022, 04:56 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2022/06/14/game-five-nba-finals-tv-ratings-warriors-celtics/

1987_Lakers
06-14-2022, 05:09 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Finals_television_ratings

These are mid 00's Spurs numbers.

FultzNationRISE
06-14-2022, 05:10 PM
Not really, because of the absence of Lebron.

It's been a fun finals and I've personally enjoyed it, but it's not really the same level of basketball without a guy like Lebron involved. It's arguably not even basketball at all.

FultzNationRISE
06-14-2022, 05:11 PM
But on a serious note yes I am quite surprised to hear that, I thought the playoffs had been doing pretty good numbers up until this point. Don't understand what a sudden drop off in the Finals would be about.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 05:14 PM
The playoffs had great ratings......until kids got out of school. Then everyone wanted to go on a road trip after being trapped in their homes for years. Airlines are full.

Shogon
06-14-2022, 05:14 PM
But on a serious note yes I am quite surprised to hear that, I thought the playoffs had been doing pretty good numbers up until this point. Don't understand what a sudden drop off in the Finals would be about.

The previous rounds had more star power.

The Finals have... Stephen Curry.

L.Kizzle
06-14-2022, 05:16 PM
To many days between games to be serious. We just had game 5 last night and the series started 2 weeks ago.

Series started June 2nd and if we get a game 7, that is on June 19th. Doesn't take 2 and a half weeks to play 7 games.

1987_Lakers
06-14-2022, 05:20 PM
To many days between games to be serious. We just had game 5 last night and the series started 2 weeks ago.

Series started June 2nd and if we get a game 7, that is on June 19th. Doesn't take 2 and a half weeks to play 7 games.

The 2016 Finals had the exact days in between games compared to this year and they had very good ratings.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 05:20 PM

"TNT's exclusive presentation of the 2022 NBA Western Conference Finals – won by the Golden State Warriors over the Dallas Mavericks (4-1) – delivered the network its most watched Conference Finals coverage since 2018, averaging 6.7 million viewers."

FultzNationRISE
06-14-2022, 05:22 PM

I mean... I thought he was the face of the modern game? Isn't that what everyone always says?

Have the kids simply learned by this point that Finals Steph isnt that same Steph they all like to imitate when theyre out on the playground?

L.Kizzle
06-14-2022, 05:23 PM
The 2016 Finals had the exact days in between games compared to this year and they had very good ratings.
Six years ago is a long time in the digital age.
Plus that was the 73-9 team. People were tuned in to see them win or lose. No one knows anyone on the Celtics.

Axe
06-14-2022, 05:28 PM
I think a lot of people became tired of the idea that the warriors are about to dominate the league again. Lol.

Full Court
06-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Not really. Nobody in the finals has that offensive "wow" factor. Curry does at times, but he's been pretty cold in over half the games. Nobody on the Celtics has it. People like watching players like Kyrie, Morant, KD, Kawhi, Giannis, etc. dismantle a defense. This finals has largely turned into a three-point chuck fest.

Shogon
06-14-2022, 05:40 PM
"TNT's exclusive presentation of the 2022 NBA Western Conference Finals – won by the Golden State Warriors over the Dallas Mavericks (4-1) – delivered the network its most watched Conference Finals coverage since 2018, averaging 6.7 million viewers."

I realize my post came off as a slight against Steph but that's not what I meant.

What I meant was he is literally the only star in the Finals. There are no other stars on Golden State and there are no stars on the Celtics that your average fan and especially your average NON fan gives a shit about.

Posting about a series that had the next great white hope doesn't disprove my point.

Anyone think anyone gives a flying **** about Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum? Talk about snoozers, holy shit. Maximum yawn.

I don't care how good they are or aren't. They aren't stars and nobody cares. Their games are boring.

TheGoatest
06-14-2022, 05:46 PM
LeBron hater alts wondering how to spin this:

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Two-Buttons.jpg

tontoz
06-14-2022, 05:55 PM
I realize my post came off as a slight against Steph but that's not what I meant.

What I meant was he is literally the only star in the Finals. There are no other stars on Golden State and there are no stars on the Celtics that your average fan and especially your average NON fan gives a shit about.

Posting about a series that had the next great white hope doesn't disprove my point.

Anyone think anyone gives a flying **** about Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum? Talk about snoozers, holy shit. Maximum yawn.

I don't care how good they are or aren't. They aren't stars and nobody cares. Their games are boring.

GS had the best local ratings in the league for 6 of the last 7 years.

The Warriors were the most-watched NBA team on national TV this season (excluding NBA TV), with their 31 games on ESPN, ABC and TNT averaging 2.72 million viewers. That is actually a 4% decline from last year (2.82M), but still the highest average in the NBA.

Axe
06-14-2022, 05:57 PM
GS had the best local ratings in the league for 6 of the last 7 years.
Ofc they are currently the league's active dynasty, uncle. Duh.

Lakers Legend#32
06-14-2022, 05:58 PM
No LeBron.

Nobody Cares.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 05:59 PM
Ofc they are currently the league's active dynasty, uncle. Duh.

Aren't you the guy going on and on about them missing the playoffs last year? Even missing the playoffs they still had the best ratings in the league with no Klay. And lets not forget they had the worst record in the league the previous season.

Axe
06-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Aren't you the guy going on and on about them missing the playoffs last year? Even missing the playoffs they still had the best ratings in the league with no Klay. And lets not forget they had the worst record in the league the previous season.
I'm guessing a lot of casuals and young fans have become attached to watching them even though they might not have followed the league yet a decade ago.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 06:16 PM
I'm guessing a lot of casuals and young fans have become attached to watching them even though they might not have followed the league yet a decade ago.

If these "casuals" are watching regular season games when they miss the playoffs then obviously they will be watching in the finals.

The reason the ratings were good in the playoffs but got weak in the finals is that so many people went on road trips after their kids got out of school.

Axe
06-14-2022, 06:33 PM
If these "casuals" are watching regular season games when they miss the playoffs then obviously they will be watching in the finals.

The reason the ratings were good in the playoffs but got weak in the finals is that so many people went on road trips after their kids got out of school.
Lol i was talking about how they're the most watched team in the league when you mentioned about it earlier.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 06:39 PM
Lol i was talking about how they're the most watched team in the league when you mentioned about it earlier.

You sound like you can't keep your story straight.

I think a lot of people became tired of the idea that the warriors are about to dominate the league again. Lol.

So people were watching during the regular season and first few rounds of the playoffs but suddenly got tired of them when they got to the finals?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/smack-1.gif

8Ball
06-14-2022, 06:46 PM
LeBron hater alts wondering how to spin this:

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Two-Buttons.jpg

I'll try:

Lebron ruined the league completely. People are in apathy.

Axe
06-14-2022, 06:53 PM
You sound like you can't keep your story straight.

So people were watching during the regular season and first few rounds of the playoffs but suddenly got tired of them when they got to the finals?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/smack-1.gif
Oh uncle... :roll:

"GS had the best local ratings in the league for 6 of the last 7 years."

That's why i said many casuals and younger fans have followed them not a very long time ago while it's possible they may not have yet a decade ago.

"I think a lot of people became tired of the idea that the warriors are about to dominate the league again. Lol."

Well, that's for game 5. Seems like they are bound to become champions again soon after the win and some people are probably not happy with it. That's what i meant. ;)

tontoz
06-14-2022, 06:59 PM
Oh uncle... :roll:

"GS had the best local ratings in the league for 6 of the last 7 years."

That's why i said many casuals and younger fans have followed them not a very long time ago while it's possible they may not have yet a decade ago.

"I think a lot of people became tired of the idea that the warriors are about to dominate the league again. Lol."

Well, that's for game 5. Seems like they are bound to become champions again soon after the win and some people are probably not happy with it. That's what i meant. ;)

This thread is about ratings. Are you saying that ratings are down because people are tired of the warriors?

If that is true then why didn't that show up in the ratings prior to the Finals? Why didn't in show up in the playoffs prior to the finals? Why didn't it show up in the regular season

:confusedshrug:

Axe
06-14-2022, 07:04 PM
This thread is about ratings. Are you saying that ratings are down because people are tired of the warriors?

If that is true then why didn't that show up in the ratings prior to the Finals? Why didn't in show up in the playoffs prior to the finals? Why didn't it show up in the regular season

:confusedshrug:
Why would those casuals and younger fans care about other teams who aren't as successful as the dynasty warriors? :ohwell:

Ofc they'll root for them all the way, win or lose.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 07:17 PM
Why would those casuals and younger fans care about other teams who aren't as successful as the dynasty warriors? :ohwell:

Ofc they'll root for them all the way, win or lose.

So then your initial post about tte Finals ratings being down because people are tired of the warriors makes no sense. Glad we straightened that out.

Axe
06-14-2022, 07:20 PM
So then your initial post about tte Finals ratings being down because people are tired of the warriors makes no sense. Glad we straightened that out.
Again in game 5, amongst some non-casual and older fans who have been following the league for a very long time. They already seem to know what the outcome will be for this series and may be starting to move on already.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 07:29 PM
Again in game 5, amongst some non-casual and older fans who have been following the league for a very long time. They already seem to know what the outcome will be for this series and may be starting to move on already.

Ever heard of Google?..

In the latest TV ratings, ABC's coverage of the NBA Finals Game 5 averaged 9.1 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, up sharply from Friday's numbers and of course dominating Monday in both measures. Leading into the game itself, the Jimmy Kimmel special did 6.6 mil/1.4, followed by NBA Countdown's 5.6 mil/1.2.7

Axe
06-14-2022, 07:30 PM
Ever heard of Google?..
No need when there's already a link in the op, uncle.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 07:46 PM
No need when there's already a link in the op, uncle.

:facepalm

You can't even keep your own story straight.

If people are "moving on" then why would the ratings be up from game 4 which was an epic game?

Axe
06-14-2022, 07:48 PM
:facepalm

You can't even keep your own story straight.

If people are "moving on" then why would the ratings be up from game 4 which was an epic game?
Really? Probably because they saw wiggins having a good game down the stretch.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 07:52 PM
I just realized OPs link is an editorial.

:roll:

No bias there. I should have realized it was bogus

The Daily Caller is a right-wing news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C. It was founded by now-Fox News host Tucker Carlson and political pundit ...

Axe
06-14-2022, 07:57 PM

You mean it's like breitbart also? Touché. :(

1987_Lakers
06-14-2022, 08:03 PM

I know nothing about that site, it came up when I googled "NBA Finals ratings", but there are several other places talking about the low ratings in this series.

Games 1-4 had an average rating of like 6.2, that is almost 50% down from the ratings from the 2015-2018 Finals when the Warriors and LeBron were battling it out, it's very surprising to me.

90sgoat
06-14-2022, 08:14 PM
I think it's right what someone wrote that covid changed stuff, people got a reality check on stuff that happens on screens vs the freedom of being outside and with people.

Also GSW and Boston are formulaic teams that are boring.

The only really exciting and charismatic stars left in the league are Luka, Giannis and Butler.

Those 3 can divert attention away from the 3 point chucking, but Curry is old hat now and no one wants to watch Tatum look for a 3 on every posession.

tontoz
06-14-2022, 08:21 PM
Ratings for game 5 are up 30% from last year. Comparing current ratings to pre COVID ratings doesn't make sense. TV ratings in general are down since covid hit. You won't hear that from Tucker Carlson though :oldlol:

As Their Ratings Drop, TV Networks Fault Nielsen. Media Researchers Weigh In

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2021/04/20/as-ratings-drop-tv-networks-fault-nielsen-media-researchers-weigh-in/

Shooter
06-14-2022, 11:24 PM

It's been a fun finals and I've personally enjoyed it, but it's not really the same level of basketball without a guy like Lebron involved. It's arguably not even basketball at all.

+1

We're going from seeing a top 1 guy in LeBron to a top 15 guy in Curry.

LeYuge gap

coin24
06-15-2022, 06:50 AM
1. There is 3 days between games. It’s idiotic..

2. No one gives a shit about the Celtics.

Die hard fans are loving it but the majority of casuals not so much

Johnny32
06-15-2022, 07:59 AM
I know nothing about that site, it came up when I googled "NBA Finals ratings", but there are several other places talking about the low ratings in this series.

Games 1-4 had an average rating of like 6.2, that is almost 50% down from the ratings from the 2015-2018 Finals when the Warriors and LeBron were battling it out, it's very surprising to me.

they're also counting out of home viewers now which should be a major boost for sporting events. this doesn't appear to be helping these finals though.

PP34Deuce
06-15-2022, 09:33 AM
People are traveling more.

FKAri
06-15-2022, 10:10 AM
Good. I hope the NBA collapses.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2022, 11:45 AM
Ratings so far in these Finals

Game 1: 6.4
Game 2: 6.2
Game 3: 6.2
Game 4: 6.2
Game 5: 7.0

jayfan
06-15-2022, 12:37 PM

This may have something to do with it. There does seem to be more spacing between games than usual for
the Finals.

Wally450
06-15-2022, 04:14 PM
Shit, idc what the ratings are, I'm gonna watch when my Celtics are in the Finals.

FultzNationRISE
06-15-2022, 05:06 PM
This may have something to do with it. There does seem to be more spacing between games than usual for
the Finals.

Gotta build in some extra time for Stephie to recover if she tweaks a delicate ankle.

PWB15
06-15-2022, 09:19 PM

How bout you give lebron a bj on live TV?

StrongLurk
06-15-2022, 09:47 PM
I haven't watched a single game.

FKAri
06-16-2022, 10:11 AM
Ratings so far in these Finals

Game 1: 6.4
Game 2: 6.2
Game 3: 6.2
Game 4: 6.2
Game 5: 7.0

So game 5 was the most watched game of the series thus far and yet...

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/vcde0y/game_5_of_the_2021_world_series_averaged_more/

Def something up but it's too early to get excited.

I haven't watched a single game.

Damn. You're a better man than I. I've watched 2. But I've only watched 4 games all year including playoffs.

Keno
06-16-2022, 10:15 PM
it was expected, no player is must watch TV and everyone knows gsw going to win, more stacked.

Cali Syndicate
06-16-2022, 10:22 PM
it was expected, no player is must watch TV and everyone knows gsw going to win, more stacked.

I bet Lebron is watching.