PDA

View Full Version : Is Steve Kerr a top 5 all time coach if Warriors wins the chip?

iamgine
06-15-2022, 09:29 AM
Phil Jackson - 11 Chips
Red Auerbach - 9 Chips
Gregg Popovich - 5 Chips
Pat Riley - 5 Chips

Steve Kerr - 4 Chips

FKAri
06-15-2022, 10:10 AM
What metric would you use to evaluate this? Rangz?

FultzNationRISE
06-15-2022, 10:11 AM
Well it is the criterion people typically use. In reality nobody knows nor is there any way to measure a coach’s exact impact.

That said, I still think you have to include LeCoach somewhere on that list considering he served as the main coach for his title teams despite being contracted as a player.

The times they didn't win, the actual coach was in charge.

So technically he’s 4 for 4.

red1
06-15-2022, 10:12 AM
yes

4 rings will make you one of the greatest coaches

L.Kizzle
06-15-2022, 11:10 AM
No, not top 5.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2022, 11:15 AM
Idk about top 5 but he is for sure a HOF coach.

People forget how much he transformed this team when he took over for Mark Jackson. Mark was a terrible offensive coach who didn't utilize Curry to his maximum abilities, had him play more PG and less movement off the ball. Kerr came in and installed an offense that was perfect for Curry & Klay's play style.

SouBeachTalents
06-15-2022, 11:44 AM
Idk about top 5 but he is for sure a HOF coach.

People forget how much he transformed this team when he took over for Mark Jackson. Mark was a terrible offensive coach who didn't utilize Curry to his maximum abilities, had him play more PG and less movement off the ball. Kerr came in and installed an offense that was perfect for Curry & Klay's play style.
And plus the success he’s had even in the non KD years, 67 wins and a title, 73 wins and literally just missing out on another, one win away from another title all these years later. Idk about top 5, but his success speaks for itself.

Phoenix
06-15-2022, 03:36 PM
He's kind of in the Phil Jackson mold of taking established talent, putting it in a blender of higher level team strategy( Mark Jackson would be Doug Collins in this situation I guess, handing over the reins to Phil/Kerr). Top 5 is pushing it... Phil, Pop, Riley, Auberbach, Larry Brown just off the top of my head and there's tons of great names remaining. Obviously a great coach though, and clearly HOF for his overall career as a champion on the Bulls/Spurs and as Warriors coach. Combine that with running the Suns franchise at one point IIRC(?) and yeah, not a bad career over the long haul.

PeroAntic
06-15-2022, 05:38 PM
He is for sure. op's ranking is just about right. Larry Brown is not as good as Kerr. He basically revolutionized the game with his movement tactics and utilizing Curry. Hes the basketball equivalent of Pep Guardiola, without being a pretentious c*nt.

Johnny32
06-15-2022, 05:40 PM
luke walton

Full Court
06-15-2022, 08:55 PM
I can't stand Kerr. But I have to say yes.

Axe
06-15-2022, 10:29 PM
Famous bt for nailing the game-winner en route to the bulls' 5th championship 25 years ago, as coach he's already ahead from the likes of spoelstra and lue. He obviously pioneered the warriors and their core to become a modern dynasty.

However, not sure how their last two rings from the previous decade will sit with the others. Because their temporary invincibility had kd colluding with them when the 73-win team fell flat in their faces after they ultimately blew their 3-1 lead in the 2016 finals.

Stephonit
06-16-2022, 04:26 AM
Nope. Still behind John Kundla.

John8204
06-16-2022, 03:03 PM
No...he needs 1,000 games before you can put him in the top five

1. Red Auerbach
2. Grep Popovich
3. Phil Jackson
4. Pat Riley
5. Chuck Daly

ImKobe
06-16-2022, 03:26 PM
Nah. I think he's right there with Spo. He needs a longer coaching career to crack the top 5.

he stumbled upon two of the goat shooters and one of the goat defenders all entering their primes

FultzNationRISE
06-16-2022, 03:58 PM
he stumbled upon two of the goat shooters and one of the goat defenders all entering their primes

Basically any coach who’s won multiple titles has a story like that.

Basically any coach who’s won multiple titles has a story like that.

right place right time

FultzNationRISE
06-16-2022, 04:34 PM
right place right time

Only God’s an expert, Ernie.

Only God’s an expert, Ernie.

god help us

PeroAntic
06-16-2022, 04:58 PM

So did Mark Jackson, and he did jackshit with them.

Kerr took Pop's system and improved it. It takes some serious insight in the game to do that.

Kerr took Pop's system and improved it. It takes some serious insight in the game to do that.

you can believe that if you want

Axe
06-16-2022, 06:18 PM

Now this is a decent take.

PP34Deuce
06-17-2022, 05:43 PM
Kerr is HOF.

I still think the most versatile HC all time has been Pat Riley. He took 2-3 different style teams and won/got them to the Finals. He had star studded teams, roleplayer fueled teams, two star teams and won titles and went far.

After that, I look at Pop and then Phil Jackson. then Red Auerbach for sheer dominance of his era. I still can't quite put Kerr over Eric Spoelstra.

I'd say Kerr is like Phil in that he knows his limitations and is incredible at hiring assistants that create cohesion.

Pop and Spoelstra are gurus
Phil knew enough but had great assistants to fill his gaps
Riley is one of the few head coaches who could manage egos leaders of men and still get nitty gritty with details.

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:44 PM
Kerr is HOF.

I still think the most versatile HC all time has been Pat Riley. He took 2-3 different style teams and won/got them to the Finals. He had star studded teams, roleplayer fueled teams, two star teams and won titles and went far.

After that, I look at Pop and then Phil Jackson. then Red Auerbach for sheer dominance of his era. I still can't quite put Kerr over Eric Spoelstra.

I'd say Kerr is like Phil in that he knows his limitations and is incredible at hiring assistants that create cohesion.

Pop and Spoelstra are gurus
Phil knew enough but had great assistants to fill his gaps
Riley is one of the few head coaches who could manage egos leaders of men and still get nitty gritty with details.
Spo is overrated lmao

WhiteKyrie
06-17-2022, 05:46 PM
He’s where you have him. Knocking on the door. Jerry West and Bob Myers are the greatest basketball GMs I’ve ever seen. Geniuses.