PDA

View Full Version : Mavs just made a trade for Houston's center Christian Wood

Doomsday Dallas
06-15-2022, 09:39 PM
breaking news.

The Dallas Mavericks are acquiring center/power forward Christian Wood from the Houston Rockets in exchange for the No. 26 pick in the 2022 NBA draft and four players with expiring contracts, sources told ESPN.

Dallas will send Boban Marjanovic, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke and Sterling Brown to Houston, sources said, creating roster flexibility and adding a productive big man.

Wood, 26, averaged 19.1 points and 9.9 rebounds during his two seasons with the Rockets. He is due to make $14.3 million this year in the final season of his contract.

Upgrading at center was one of the Mavs' primary goals entering the offseason in the wake of their run to the Western Conference finals.

The Rockets now have the Nos. 3, 17 and 26 picks in next Thursday's draft.

warriorfan
06-15-2022, 09:41 PM
Wow. Great move for Dallas

Doomsday Dallas
06-15-2022, 09:42 PM
https://nbaanalysis.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2-Trade-Packages-To-Send-Christian-Wood-To-Dallas-Mavericks-678x381.jpeg

this is not a championship move

bison
06-15-2022, 09:44 PM
wow, Dallas did not give up a single rotation player in this deal :applause:

Doomsday Dallas
06-15-2022, 09:46 PM

but it could be a missing piece of the puzzle.

We needed better rebounding... so we get some of the help we need in that department with this guy.

Spurs m8
06-15-2022, 09:47 PM

We needed better rebounding... so we get some of the help we need in that department with this guy.

Exactly

What a dumb post

FilmyCogTurner
06-15-2022, 09:49 PM
Nice! Powell needs to reclaim his seat on the bench. Backup minutes only.

Axe
06-15-2022, 09:50 PM
https://nbaanalysis.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2-Trade-Packages-To-Send-Christian-Wood-To-Dallas-Mavericks-678x381.jpeg
Daaamn, 3ball is going to hate this player for sure due to one obvious reason.

tontoz
06-15-2022, 09:59 PM
Wow. He averaged 10 rebounds in only 31 minutes and shot 39% from 3. And he can defend.

Huge get for Dallas.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your team needs better basketball players

this is a we can't get gobert so f it let's do something move

4 nobodies and a late 1st for another dinwiddie level player

bison
06-15-2022, 10:20 PM

mavs literally went to wcf this year. if them, the heat, suns, warriors, celtics, bucks etc prove anything is that this isn't a superteam league anymore. anyone with roster depth and chemistry can be a contender. no reason to write them off esp if luka can take wood's game to the next level. and i dont think they're done shopping.

mavs literally went to wcf this year. if them, the heat, suns, warriors, celtics, bucks etc prove anything is that this isn't a superteam league anymore. anyone with roster depth and chemistry can be a contender. no reason to write them off esp if luka can take wood's game to the next level. and i dont think they're done shopping.

hawks got to the east finals in 21 how'd that work out for them this year

this is a let's fool luka into not demanding a trade move

Doomsday Dallas
06-15-2022, 10:31 PM
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your team needs better basketball players

we need to get Tim Hardaway Jr back, maybe he'll have some trade value by mid season.

Somehow we were able to trade the Unicorn and his ridiculous contract... we may be able to do something with Tim Hardaway and another player in time.

I don't know what they are going to do about Brunson...

but Powell ($11 mil), Kleber ($9 mil), and Chistian Wood ($14 mil) are all on expiring contracts... so maybe we have the cap space to find the player we need in next year's off season, or we just make a mid-season trade.

plowking
06-15-2022, 10:32 PM
I'd still go after Gobert if I was Dallas. Wood should be played at the 4.

Get the big cog in the middle that can eat up rebounds and put back easy looks.

iamgine
06-15-2022, 10:50 PM
I didn't know Wood's stock is that low.

Huge win for the Mavs.

we need to get Tim Hardaway Jr back, maybe he'll have some trade value by mid season.

Somehow we were able to trade the Unicorn and his ridiculous contract... we may be able to do something with Tim Hardaway and another player in time.

but Powell ($11 mil), Kleber ($9 mil), and Chistian Wood ($14 mil) are all on expiring contracts... so maybe we have the cap space to find the player we need in next year's off season, or we just make a mid-season trade.

porzingis contract is not ridiculous relative to what others are making

he's roughly on the same level as adebayo as a player and they make close to the same amount

could always go back in time and get dirk if all else fails

MavAlbert
06-15-2022, 10:53 PM
hawks got to the east finals in 21 how'd that work out for them this year

this is a let's fool luka into not demanding a trade move

luka isnt going anywhere. im guessing you didnt watch the hawks at all this year.

luka isnt going anywhere. im guessing you didnt watch the hawks at all this year.

i watched the stats and saw trae put up a negative 8 bpm in the playoffs

christ what did lowry say to get so deep in his head god only knows

make it happen cuban give rudy a chance to play with an all nba player before he drops dead

I didn't know Wood's stock is that low.

Huge win for the Mavs.

multiple stats paint him as regressing to an overall negative this year

how many guys bounce back from that and do anything worth keeping

i'll let you know if i ever bother trying to figure it out

you know lebron wants to coax luka out of dallas

he'd coax every hall of famer that ever played if he could because he's "the king" and thinks he deserves it

FultzNationRISE
06-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Why did Houston give him up for basically nothing?

Patrick Chewing
06-16-2022, 12:43 AM
Definitely a boost for Dallas. Wood is a beast.

iamgine
06-16-2022, 12:57 AM
Definitely a boost for Dallas. Wood is a beast.
Especially when playing with a great playmaker on that 2nd/3rd option role.

I know they want to tank again this season so they won't trade for good players but I find it weird that Houston can't get at least a higher draft pick for him.

coin24
06-16-2022, 01:22 AM
What a steal.. if they can land another big they’re laughing

Akeem34TheDream
06-16-2022, 02:15 AM
Wood doesn't defend anyone, he tries to iso often even though he sucks at it and he lacks passion. He wasn't helpful for Rockets. They will draft a big in this draft, probably Banchero, and will pair him with Şengün so it will be interesting. Also Wood wasn't going to resign most likely.

plowking
06-16-2022, 04:13 AM
Legit question - if they leave everything as is - they basically got a slightly worse version of KP and stuck him at the same position, right?

KP>Wood? Or nah? Seems like a little bit of a circle around move.

HylianNightmare
06-16-2022, 04:15 AM
Love it

MavAlbert
06-16-2022, 05:22 AM
Legit question - if they leave everything as is - they basically got a slightly worse version of KP and stuck him at the same position, right?

wood is way cheaper.

ImKobe
06-16-2022, 05:34 AM
Could develop into a decent rotation piece like 15-20 mpg in the POs as a big who can space the floor and give them some rebounding, they gave up guys who contributed next to 0 in the Playoffs and gave up a first that likely wouldn't have given them anything for next year's POs. Expiring contract too. Solid trade for both sides IMO.

Im Still Ballin
06-16-2022, 07:45 AM

That's my take. It's a good get, but what they really need is a reliable anchor like you said.

DMAVS41
06-16-2022, 07:54 AM

Have to bring him back or trade him if you don't want to keep him long term. Can't let him walk for nothing.

DMAVS41
06-16-2022, 07:57 AM

Well, it isn't nothing...they got a first round pick...and he's on an expiring contract...so he doesn't have a lot of value going forward because he's likely to get a contract over his true worth after this season if he plays well.

He hopefully will help a team like Dallas...but an expiring Wood doesn't make much sense to keep for the Rockets unless you think he'd be a huge trade asset after his new contract...and that seems unlikely.

DMAVS41
06-16-2022, 07:58 AM
wood is way cheaper.

For 1 year. He's up for a new contract after next season.

ArbitraryWater
06-16-2022, 08:20 AM

bingo

ArbitraryWater
06-16-2022, 08:25 AM

circle around?

not just was KP mentally fried on the Mavs and basically useless (Wood will be MUCH better), but they also already got Dinwiddie for Porzingis lol...

coin24
06-16-2022, 08:30 AM
KP is always injured and is a soft pos also.. mavs pulled off a solid trade rape here

ralph_i_el
06-16-2022, 08:44 AM
Wow. He averaged 10 rebounds in only 31 minutes and shot 39% from 3. And he can defend.

Huge get for Dallas.

ehh, not really. Still a good move. Dallas is going to be absolutely turbocharged on offense. Wood basically gives you what Powell gives you, with some ability to shoot and drive off the dribble.

ralph_i_el
06-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Rockets didn't want to pay Wood, and they want to play Sengun at the 5 with whatever big they draft. Sengun is going to be a very valuable piece on offense, probably a bigger positive impact player than Wood will be next year.

Sengun+Chet could possibly be an absolute dynamite pairing. Sengun's biggest weakness is help defense/rim protection (because he has to play the 5 due to footspeed). Chet is more of a 4, but has great help D/rim protection. Those two guys with dynamic wings is going to be exciting.

ralph_i_el
06-16-2022, 08:54 AM

Because he's not that good. 19ppg when you have the green light on the 2nd fastest pace team in the league does not impress me. He's a big who is not a rim protector, but only played the 5 last year. He's getting buckets, but you're giving up points on defense when you play him.

On a better team that is trying to win games he is not getting as many shots, and the pace is probably going to be lower (Dallas had a very low pace comparatively last year). On plenty of teams last season, Wood is your backup 5 scoring 10ppg and exploiting certain matchups.

Houston traded him because they have a younger, cheaper, bad defense 5 man who they think is better.

FultzNationRISE
06-16-2022, 09:08 AM
Because he's not that good. 19ppg when you have the green light on the 2nd fastest pace team in the league does not impress me. He's a big who is not a rim protector, but only played the 5 last year. He's getting buckets, but you're giving up points on defense when you play him.

On a better team that is trying to win games he is not getting as many shots, and the pace is probably going to be lower (Dallas had a very low pace comparatively last year). On plenty of teams last season, Wood is your backup 5 scoring 10ppg and exploiting certain matchups.

Houston traded him because they have a younger, cheaper, bad defense 5 man who they think is better.

Yeah I just looked at some of the video of him, he does look more like a rotation player for a good team rather than a key guy.

That said, Mavs gave up nobody who was getting minutes anyway and Wood’s on an expirer.... so it seems like a pretty good trade. His game is different than their current bigs so it does add another matchup dimension for them.

ralph_i_el
06-16-2022, 09:12 AM
Yeah I just looked at some of the video of him, he does look more like a rotation player for a good team rather than a key guy.

That said, Mavs gave up nobody who was getting minutes anyway and Wood’s on an expirer.... so it seems like a pretty good trade. His game is different than their current bigs so it does add another matchup dimension for them.

100%

They've played a lot of 5-out, and Wood is going to fit well. This past year when teams forced Luka to give the ball up under pressure, if they could rotate really well they could shut down the Mavs because a lot of their shooters have no scoring ability off the dribble. When they swing to Wood, he's going to get lots of mismatches and closeouts to attack.

MavAlbert
06-16-2022, 04:40 PM
For 1 year. He's up for a new contract after next season.

even better

Meticode
06-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Not sure how he'll work out. He's a first option on the Houston because they were garbage, on a good team he's like a 3rd or 4th option.

tontoz
06-16-2022, 05:02 PM
He is a rim runner and a 3 pt shooter. He will get plenty of looks in Dallas.

DMAVS41
06-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Not sure how he'll work out. He's a first option on the Houston because they were garbage, on a good team he's like a 3rd or 4th option.

He'll be way better than what the Mavs had this year...whether or not he'll be worth the big contract he no doubt will get...that is the tough part.

iamgine
06-16-2022, 10:20 PM
He'll be way better than what the Mavs had this year...whether or not he'll be worth the big contract he no doubt will get...that is the tough part.
How big we talking about? 4/80-100?

DMAVS41
06-16-2022, 10:24 PM
How big we talking about? 4/80-100?

No idea. It depends on how well he plays...he could look really good on this team if they bring Brunson back.

Doomsday Dallas
06-19-2022, 12:44 AM

Could friendship between Luka Doncic and Nikola Jokic form the next superteam?

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/luka-doncic-nikola-jokic-friendship-form-superteam

They are searching for another star to pair with Doncic, but Dallas is not going to have cap space to acquire one. The front office will need to make it happen via trade. It will likely take a superstar requesting a trade and wanting to come to Dallas.

During the 2022 NBA All-Star weekend, Luka was spotted hanging and joking with Nikola Jokic plenty. Could the reigning MVP force a trade to form a superteam in Dallas?

Could Nikola Jokic join Luka Doncic on the Dallas Mavericks?

Jokic is set to be an unrestricted free agent in 2023, and the Mavericks could have cap space in that summer, but that does not matter. Superstar players force trades all the time in the NBA, and their current team usually sends them to their preferred destination. Fans just saw it with James Harden (twice), Paul George, and Anthony Davis over the last two years.

I guess this would be the best "Championship Move" Dallas can make. Would be difficult to get him out of Denver, but it could be done.

If we got these two players together for the next 5 years ... could probably win 2 championships.

Doomsday Dallas
06-19-2022, 12:48 AM
https://i.redd.it/d1aboovy92j81.png

red1
06-19-2022, 12:50 AM
https://i.redd.it/d1aboovy92j81.png

that's a fantasy and a half

nuggets would be the dumbest franchise ever if they let jokic go

red1
06-19-2022, 12:51 AM
jokic is better than luka

BarberSchool
06-19-2022, 01:16 AM

LOL.

Somebody bump this in 2-3 years.

BarberSchool
06-19-2022, 01:19 AM
He is a rim runner and a 3 pt shooter. He will get plenty of looks in Dallas.
As long as he moves well without the ball, has good hands, and hits some spot up 3’s consistently, he’s got a chance to be the second best player in many series for this squad.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/luka-doncic-nikola-jokic-friendship-form-superteam

I guess this would be the best "Championship Move" Dallas can make. Would be difficult to get him out of Denver, but it could be done.

If we got these two players together for the next 5 years ... could probably win 2 championships.

with the right team around them could be unbeatable

LOL.

Somebody bump this in 2-3 years.

a guy that hit his analytical peak 3 years ago and dropped off an analytical cliff since then probably has a better chance of being out of the league in 2-3 years

FilmyCogTurner
06-19-2022, 12:29 PM
I would love to see that pairing just for the passing alone - it would be like an all star game year round.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2022, 12:37 PM

Pretty sure Jokic has said publicly he’d sign a supermax with Denver if they offer it, and I’m pretty sure Denver has said theyll be offering it.

So hes almost certainly stayin put.