PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry just won a championship with Andrew Wiggins as the second best player

Heavincent
06-16-2022, 11:40 PM
One of the most impressive title runs ever, along with 2011 Dirk and 03 Duncan.

FultzNationRISE
06-16-2022, 11:45 PM
I think you have that backward.

Stephonit
06-16-2022, 11:50 PM
Yes he did.

Then consider who he brought to a championship the first time. A first time all-star like Wiggins in Klay Thompson? A vet Andre Iguodala who'd never seen a conference finals?

Curry has brought his franchise back from the depths twice now. Even among his fellow greatest players ever there are hardly any that can make that claim.

hold this L
06-16-2022, 11:51 PM
Curry is an undisputed top 10 all timer. Monster post-season!

red1
06-16-2022, 11:53 PM

how you been G?!!

lebron is now certified top-2 GOAT of all-time - long time since 2011 eh?

rip kobe

Phoenix
06-16-2022, 11:54 PM
Congrats Warriors fans :applause:

Nilocon165
06-16-2022, 11:55 PM
He put himself in then top 10 tonight

Wally450
06-16-2022, 11:59 PM
Curry is the greatest point guard of all time.

Mr. Jabbar
06-17-2022, 12:01 AM
I think you have that backward.

dayum

TheGoatest
06-17-2022, 12:07 AM
He had not 1, not 2, but 3 teammates averaging over 15.9 ppg these playoffs.
And if Wiggins played like he did these finals throughout the entire season, he would've been a lock for DPOY. If Curry played like he did these finals throughout the entire season, he still wouldn't have been MVP.

Heavincent
06-17-2022, 12:14 AM
how you been G?!!

lebron is now certified top-2 GOAT of all-time - long time since 2011 eh?

rip kobe

Good times lol.

kawhileonard2
06-17-2022, 12:15 AM
Wiggins was the #1 pick and locked up Tatum something Durant couldn't do.

red1
06-17-2022, 01:53 AM
Good times lol.

kobe was the man. haven't said one bad thing about him since 2020 and never will again. RIP. :applause:

Cleverness
06-17-2022, 02:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVLtuHyWAAIsZeO.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpotlessHarmoniousDuck-max-1mb.gif

!@#$%Vectors!@#
06-17-2022, 02:30 AM

Wiggins is an amazing wind defender.

Bawkish
06-17-2022, 02:30 AM

Brontards like Nick Wrong are the Amber Heards of basketball community

Spurs m8
06-17-2022, 02:36 AM

Bron stans everywhere are the dumbest, lowest IQ cvnts in the game

SATAN
06-17-2022, 02:43 AM
:mad::mad::mad: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Lz09xy77y-k/maxresdefault.jpg

:facepalm

ImKobe
06-17-2022, 02:49 AM
Wiggins was the #1 pick and locked up Tatum something Durant couldn't do.

Wiggins made great plays on Tatum but if we're honest, Tatum struggled against everyone inside the arc in this series. He couldn't drive on Steph & Klay either. Dray also abused both him and Jaylen Brown in the paint when he contested their shots as the help defender.

He had not 1, not 2, but 3 teammates averaging over 15.9 ppg these playoffs.
And if Wiggins played like he did these finals throughout the entire season, he would've been a lock for DPOY. If Curry played like he did these finals throughout the entire season, he still wouldn't have been MVP.

Nah. Dray would be the DPOY, and he was in the driver seat before his injury and he showed you why he's still an ATG defender in this Finals. He completely shut down Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum when they tried to score on him in the paint. Dray's defense was the real game changer here, though Wiggins did a great job himself. Warriors are loaded on the defensive side. Curry used to be a liability on D but now he's a lot stronger than he was in 2015/16 and even Tatum struggled to score on him.

coin24
06-17-2022, 03:04 AM
Nick wrong also claimed Loston would win the finals :roll:

Big nose cuck should stick to sniffing used jocks

Axe
06-17-2022, 03:06 AM
Wiggins made great plays on Tatum but if we're honest, Tatum struggled against everyone inside the arc in this series. He couldn't drive on Steph & Klay either. Dray also abused both him and Jaylen Brown in the paint when he contested their shots as the help defender.

Nah. Dray would be the DPOY, and he was in the driver seat before his injury and he showed you why he's still an ATG defender in this Finals. He completely shut down Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum when they tried to score on him in the paint. Dray's defense was the real game changer here, though Wiggins did a great job himself. Warriors are loaded on the defensive side. Curry used to be a liability on D but now he's a lot stronger than he was in 2015/16 and even Tatum struggled to score on him.
Yet they were scapegoating him when his team were trailing earlier in the series. Some even said they were better off without him. Scrotum m8, in particular, lambasted the poor donkey too. :lol

3ba11
06-17-2022, 03:10 AM

Jordan won with Wiggins 6 times - he won a couple where Wiggins averaged 15.7 on 40% and 17 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs

warriorfan
06-17-2022, 04:51 AM

Lmaaaaaaaao

nayte
06-17-2022, 04:55 AM
Wiggs played awesome don't think anyone was expecting this.
Gotta love the egg on the face takes

aj1987
06-17-2022, 06:21 AM
Brontards like Nick Wrong are the Amber Heards of basketball community

And yet, we have retards like you and the rest of the dad killer brigade. You retards the the Island Boy's of the Basketball Community.

Stephonit
06-17-2022, 07:32 AM
One of the other posters here was perceptive enough to see after the first round that the Warriors might need to go through Morant, Doncic and Tatum.

One down. Two down. Three down. Game, set and match.

Axe
06-17-2022, 07:37 AM
One of the other posters here was perceptive enough to see after the first round that the Warriors might need to go through Morant, Doncic and Tatum.

One down. Two down. Three down. Game, set and match.
Yep but outside of dallas, most of them had hampered players too.

Spuddywebby
06-17-2022, 08:53 AM

Is this some Native American thing :milton

Sulico
06-17-2022, 10:30 AM

Right, is that your take on him since the day he was drafted?

The truth is, Steph making everybody around him look amazing as usual. Hell, he even made KD look like "best player in the league" for some media talking heads. Some of them officially crowned him for a couple of years.

But what Curry actually was working with is

Wiggins - concensus bust just a few years ago
Klay - not the same player after devastating injuries
Dray - not the same player, triple-single on .39 TS%
J. Pool - 3rd year, 28th pick, 11 games in G-league last year
Looney - loyalty contract, would've been out of the league if not for Warriors
Payton II - career G-leaguer
Otto Porter - minimum vet, nobody wanted him.

ShawkFactory
06-17-2022, 10:48 AM
Sounds cool when you put it like that. But when you watch the series, as we all just did, you'd see that what actually happened is he damn near outplayed the best player on the Celtics. Was that a fluke? Who knows but I wouldn't bet on that happening again.

Props to Steph, he truly had the best series of his life. But this wasn't like an all time carry job or anything.

DMAVS41
06-17-2022, 10:52 AM
The Wiggins takes from people are interesting.

You have one camp saying that Wiggins was always this good and everyone was wrong...I completely disagree with this. Wiggins in 18 and 19 deserved every bit of shit he got. Wolves fans will tell you. He didn't even try hard and just took a bunch of terrible long 2's.

Then you have another camp saying that Wiggins is still the bad player he was in 18 and 19 and are completely ignoring the improvements Wiggins has made to his game...both before being traded in 2020 and after joining the Warriors the last couple years.

I think two things are true...Wiggins was a much worse basketball player in 18 and 19...and that he is now a great 3/D role player with an extra gear because of his talent level that almost no role players possess.

Carbine
06-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Wiggins isn't a 3 and D player.

He's an all around offensive player who plays elite defense now. He can slash at a high level, he has a mid-range game, he has an ISO game, he attacks the o boards, finishes very well at the rim.....

He's not Danny Green on the Spurs or that guy they have on the Mavs. Wiggins is a very well rounded offensive player who can score in a variety of ways. He just can't be your #1 guy because he doesn't create as the initiator in the half court well enough.

DMAVS41
06-17-2022, 11:04 AM
Wiggins isn't a 3 and D player.

He's an all around offensive player who plays elite defense now. He can slash at a high level, he has a mid-range game, he has an ISO game, he attacks the o boards, finishes very well at the rim.....

He's not Danny Green on the Spurs or that guy they have on the Mavs. Wiggins is a very well rounded offensive player who can score in a variety of ways. He just can't be your #1 guy because he doesn't create as the initiator in the half court well enough.

I agree...that is what I was getting at with 3/D with the extra gear.

tpols
06-17-2022, 11:10 AM
The Wiggins takes from people are interesting.

You have one camp saying that Wiggins was always this good and everyone was wrong...I completely disagree with this. Wiggins in 18 and 19 deserved every bit of shit he got. Wolves fans will tell you. He didn't even try hard and just took a bunch of terrible long 2's.

Then you have another camp saying that Wiggins is still the bad player he was in 18 and 19 and are completely ignoring the improvements Wiggins has made to his game...both before being traded in 2020 and after joining the Warriors the last couple years.

I think two things are true...Wiggins was a much worse basketball player in 18 and 19...and that he is now a great 3/D role player with an extra gear because of his talent level that almost no role players possess.

Wiggins is more than a role player he's now an All Star, but historically 17/7/2 on mediocre efficiency from your 2nd best player is on the lower end of the spectrum of 2nd options. Wiggins shot below average from 3 and the FT line. I didn't realize he shot in the 60s and 20s in the Finals % respectively. And of course Klay was garbage.

It took Curry having an All Time series against the #1 defense with the DPOY guarding him for the dubs to pull this out. That's why this was a historic title. Celtics wouldve won the series if curry doesn't go off in game 4.

DMAVS41
06-17-2022, 11:23 AM
Wiggins is more than a role player he's now an All Star, but historically 17/7/2 on mediocre efficiency from your 2nd best player is on the lower end of the spectrum of 2nd options. Wiggins shot below average from 3 and the FT line. I didn't realize he shot in the 60s and 20s in the Finals % respectively. And of course Klay was garbage.

It took Curry having an All Time series against the #1 defense with the DPOY guarding him for the dubs to pull this out. That's why this was a historic title. Celtics wouldve won the series if curry doesn't go off in game 4.

Yea...I agree...

What Curry did to get the series 2-2 will be ignored because he got really good help the last 2 games.

red1
06-17-2022, 11:25 AM
my boy got a ring. good from him redeeming himself. :applause:

tontoz
06-17-2022, 11:36 AM
Wiggins averaged 18 with a TS of 51.5%. He did well defensively and on the boards but lets not get carried away.

It isn't like he was the only reason Tatum struggled. Tatum struggled against everyone inside the arc.

Meanwhile Steph averaged 31 with a 62.6% TS. :bowdown:

Carbine
06-17-2022, 11:45 AM

Smart is the biggest fraud DPOY of all time. And I thought Rudy was bad. Smart gives straight line drives to the hoop and barely ever had any tough contests.

When people score on Draymond, it's usually heavily contested and "earned"

Ditto for Wiggins, or Gary Paytons son.

Smart is a flopping fraudster

LeGoat4Life
06-17-2022, 12:14 PM
Another Championship for Chef Curry with no help

This will be his 4th championship that was harder than any of Lebron's

red1
06-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Another Championship for Chef Curry with no help

This will be his 4th championship that was harder than any of Lebron's

I'm not going to hate too hard on curry - all of his rings he was the massive favorite. thats just a fact.

2015 cavs were decimated
2017 most stacked team of all time
2018 still the most stacked team of all time
2022 didnt run into a single legend during his championship run

lebron was only favored 3 times out of 10 finals - got 4 rings meaning he overachieved. played dynasties in the warriors and spurs a combined 7 times in the finals and literally played the most stacked team of all-time twice in the 2017 and 2018 warriors.

still scalped them both.

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:02 PM
Wiggins averaged 18 with a TS of 51.5%. He did well defensively and on the boards but lets not get carried away.

It isn't like he was the only reason Tatum struggled. Tatum struggled against everyone inside the arc.

Dubs couldn't have won without wiggins. He's instrumental in that series against the celtics.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 05:05 PM
Dubs couldn't have won without wiggins. He's instrumental in that series against the celtics.

But any secondary scorer will do - you don't need another #1 that routinely gets 25-30 to put alongside Curry like Wade, AD or Kyrie - secondary scorers like Wiggins, Klay or Pippen will do

Btw, Wiggins rhymes with Pippen

tontoz
06-17-2022, 05:12 PM

I agree they couldn't win without him. He was their second best player. Not many teams could win a title without their 2nd best player.

But when you compare Wiggins to the second best player of other championship teams he doesn't rank very high. This is his 8th season and he just made his first All-Star game.

Offensively he was just ok. His value was more on D and on the boards. 18 ppg on 51.5% TS isnt exactly special.

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:16 PM
I agree they couldn't win without him. He was their second best player. Not many teams could win a title without their 2nd best player.

But when you compare Wiggins to the second best player of other championship teams he doesn't rank very high. This is his 8th season and he just made his first All-Star game.

Offensively he was just ok. His value was more on D and on the boards. 18 ppg on 51.5% TS isnt exactly special.
But it was his first trip to the playoffs in many years. And one that saw him finally making it over the first round. He stepped up in the finals at least and that's what matters the most. Therefore, destroying any narratives that saint stephen had scrubs in his team, uncle. Just saying.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 05:16 PM

How many guys win titles by carrying the scoring load for secondary scorers like Lowry, Klay, Wiggins or Pippen, as opposed to having #1 options at sidekick that don't require carrying the scoring load like Kareem, Wade, AD or Kyrie?

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:19 PM
But any secondary scorer will do - you don't need another #1 that routinely gets 25-30 to put alongside Curry like Wade, AD or Kyrie - secondary scorers like Wiggins, Klay or Pippen will do

Btw, Wiggins rhymes with Pippen
Come back to me once wiggins leads his team to the semifinals as the only man.

1987_Lakers
06-17-2022, 05:24 PM
Why is the Warriors defensive performance in these Finals going unnoticed? They held Boston to under 100 points in 4 of the 6 games. That is incredible in today's era.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 05:31 PM
Come back to me once wiggins leads his team to the semifinals as the only man.

* Kyrie did that in 2020

* AD did that in 2018 and won a game off the Warriors (Lebron was swept by record amount)

* Wade won FMVP in one of the biggest carry-job ever

So everyone did it but only Pippen had a 3-peat dynasty when he did it

Once the no pressure/honeymoon period and luster of being defending champs ended in the 94' Playoffs, the REAL bulls without MJ were lottery in 95' before MJ returned to restore 3-peat caliber.. So Pippen destroyed a 3-peat dynasty to lottery in less than 18 months...

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Why is the Warriors defensive performance in these Finals going unnoticed? They held Boston to under 100 points in 4 of the 6 games. That is incredible in today's era.
They're a team that became lackluster in offense or a bit underwhelming in that end to begin with. I mean each game in the series they scored less than 100 they lost. And that most of them saw them having paltry first halves.

tontoz
06-17-2022, 05:39 PM
But it was his first trip to the playoffs in many years. And one that saw him finally making it over the first round. He stepped up in the finals at least and that's what matters the most. Therefore, destroying any narratives that saint stephen had scrubs in his team, uncle. Just saying.

I wouldn't say he carried scrubs to a title and i haven't seen anyone else saying that.

However Wiggins is a 1 time All-Star. Klays last All-Star game was in 2019 before a torn ACL and ruptured achilles. Poole was in the G-league just last year.

Draymond was so bad that his own mother called him out. :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
06-17-2022, 05:42 PM
They're a team that became lackluster in offense or a bit underwhelming in that end to begin with. I mean each game in the series they scored less than 100 they lost. And that most of them saw them having paltry first halves.

We all knew they had flaws on offense before the Finals, but despite that...they were still a top 10 offense during the regular season and averaged 112 ppg during the year. For the Warriors to hold them to a 101 ppg average in these Finals is incredible.

Axe
06-17-2022, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't say he carried scrubs to a title and i haven't seen anyone else saying that.

However Wiggins is a 1 time All-Star. Klays last All-Star game was in 2019 before a torn ACL and ruptured achilles. Poole was in the G-league just last year.

Draymond was so bad that his own mother called him out. :oldlol:
Then andre iguodala came back to the team last year and suddenly, it's all a miracle from thereon. :yaohappy:

Axe
06-17-2022, 06:02 PM
We all knew they had flaws on offense before the Finals, but despite that...they were still a top 10 offense during the regular season and averaged 112 ppg during the year. For the Warriors to hold them to a 101 ppg average in these Finals is incredible.
Yep, they essentially folded. They were dominant in games 1 and 3 but ran out of steam for the rest of the series.

plowking
06-17-2022, 06:18 PM

Yes but he held the best player on the other team to 21ppg on 36% shooting.

That is historically great.

The Warriors are a great team, and Steph had great help. Steph was great, and is top 10 all time, but to pretend Wiggins didn't play historically great by shutting down the first option on the other team is ignoring reality.

It is a lot easier to win a series when your primary defender on your team switches off the other teams best player.

3ba11
06-17-2022, 06:56 PM
Yes but he held the best player on the other team to 21ppg on 36% shooting.

That is historically great.

The Warriors are a great team, and Steph had great help. Steph was great, and is top 10 all time, but to pretend Wiggins didn't play historically great by shutting down the first option on the other team is ignoring reality.

It is a lot easier to win a series when your primary defender on your team switches off the other teams best player.

Wiggins wasn't the only factor - Tatum simply isn't good enough yet as a ball player to excel in a Finals.

Heck, Wiggins held Tatum below his norm but was still outscored by Tatum, whereas Kyrie held Curry much further below his norm AND outscored/outplayed him.. so that's an easy ring for bron

r15mohd
06-17-2022, 09:54 PM
Wiggins wasn't the only factor - Tatum simply isn't good enough yet as a ball player to excel in a Finals.

Heck, Wiggins held Tatum below his norm but was still outscored by Tatum, whereas Kyrie held Curry much further below his norm AND outscored/outplayed him.. so that's an easy ring for bron

interesting take...for the '91 Finals when Pippen held Magic below his norm at 18ppg instead of 20ppg, and Pippen outscored Magic by dropping 20ppg, would you say that was an easy ring for MJ too? or is there some 'maximum attention stratosphere' termed scenario you'd like to advise why they differ :rolleyes:

kawhileonard2
06-17-2022, 10:51 PM

If we going to say 2011 Mavs, 2003 Spurs, then 1998 Bulls have to be as they were the oldest team all time.

plowking
06-17-2022, 10:55 PM

So your logic is that Wiggins - the third best player on the Warriors - didn't outscore the best player on the Celtics? Well yeah...

And no - Tatum was held to 21ppg on 36% shooting... That is massive. He had a bigger drop off from his playoff play to his finals play. Regardless, it doesn't matter, and your logic as always - sucks.

TheGoatest
06-17-2022, 11:09 PM
Reminder:

Wiggins: All-star
Draymond: All-defensive 2nd team

Meanwhile:

https://images4.imagebam.com/a9/b5/85/MEBB5RY_o.png

These are facts.

AlternativeAcc.
06-17-2022, 11:28 PM

Your post is insightful but not in the way you intended

So lebron and irving comfortably outscored the warriors leading scorer... yet it was a tight 7 game series

That proves the game is more than what you try to boil it down to (1st and 2nd option scoring)

Cleverness
06-18-2022, 12:50 AM

Warriors were #1 in DRTG in the 2021-2022 reg season https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/best-nba-team-defensive-rating-in-the-league-2022 . (Boston was #2)

their defense has been unnoticed for a long time. The 2015 Warriors had the 7th best DRTG of all-time (dating back to 1981), better than any other Warriors teams

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/best-nba-team-defensive-rating-in-the-league-each-year