PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry's defense was excellent

iamgine
06-17-2022, 12:34 AM
Like I feel now we can comfortably categorize it as at least above average.

Gohan
06-17-2022, 01:03 AM
Curry haters dont want to talk about this. Hes been a decent defender actually. People are stuck in the past

LeGoat4Life
06-17-2022, 01:26 AM
Curry defense has always been great

Lebron defense always lead to giving his opponent a fmvp :lol

Cleverness
06-17-2022, 02:37 AM
Curry defense has always been great

It really has

2012: https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/11/8/3619002/mark-jackson-stephen-curry-elite-defender-golden-state-warriors
2015: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12648764/how-stephen-curry-developed-top-flight-defender

Tonight:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVb0s_tVUAEaoPj?format=jpg&name=small

ImKobe
06-17-2022, 02:53 AM
It really has

2012: https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/11/8/3619002/mark-jackson-stephen-curry-elite-defender-golden-state-warriors
2015: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12648764/how-stephen-curry-developed-top-flight-defender

Tonight:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVb0s_tVUAEaoPj?format=jpg&name=small

Wow. Curry also held his man to 3/12 shooting with 3 TOs in Game 5.

But but I thought Steph wasn't a better defender than Trae Young? This is what people on ISH were telling me in the RS when they tried to put Trae ****ing Young on Steph's level LMAO.

Gohan
06-17-2022, 03:09 AM
Wow. Curry also held his man to 3/12 shooting with 3 TOs in Game 5.

But but I thought Steph wasn't a better defender than Trae Young? This is what people on ISH were telling me in the RS when they tried to put Trae ****ing Young on Steph's level LMAO.

You cant lie(or can you?) trae totally outplayed steph this post season

TheGoatest
06-17-2022, 04:02 AM
This brings me back to all the "He's actually not that bad of a defender" posts about Steve Nash in his MVP seasons.
A sack of rocks placed on the court will play decent defense against Marcus Dumb.

nayte
06-17-2022, 04:46 AM
It's a old narrative. Currys defence has been decent for a while now

bdonovan
06-17-2022, 05:53 AM
Like I feel now we can comfortably categorize it as at least above average.

There has been a change. I think much of it comes from his bulking up. In the past he would bulk up in the off-season BUT that muscle would deplete over the course of the regular season. By the time the playoffs began, he was back to being unmuscular Steph.

This was the first year he KEPT the muscle over the course of the season. I don't know if you saw- but he was shouldering Marcus Smart out of the way. Regularly. Usually muscular guards like that used to slow him down.

Credit to him for putting in the work. Many greats like Dirk and Durant never put the work in the gym for conditioning and bulking up.

One more dimension: mental. He would mentally lose focus when bodied. Because of the last 2 years, esp last year where dude just had to WORK every day to beat average teams, he changed. I saw it. You could see it in his eyes. He became mentally tough. It shows now. He can get steamrolled, pushed around - and was today by Jaylen, Tatum, and Smart- and just keeps going. Definitely a mental toughness he didn't have.

aj1987
06-17-2022, 06:15 AM
LMAO! No. He's a mediocre defender at BEST. He doesn't have the lateral quickness or the speed to keep up with good players. There's a reason why he still gets benched when the Warriors need defense.

Don't get me wrong. Curry is massively positive on the offensive end, to negate any of his defensive liabilities, but he still is a very mediocre defender at BEST.

hold this L
06-17-2022, 08:58 AM
Can we get some stats of
1. Boston's FG% when Steph was the primary defender?
2. Overall opponent FG% when Steph was defending them throughout the playoffs?

Pretty sure he along with Draymond had the lowest FG% somewhere around the WCF.

Shogon
06-17-2022, 09:12 AM
Can we get some stats of
1. Boston's FG% when Steph was the primary defender?
2. Overall opponent FG% when Steph was defending them throughout the playoffs?

Pretty sure he along with Draymond had the lowest FG% somewhere around the WCF.

**** the stats. Go to nba.com and rewatch every Celtics scoring play. I'm not sure how long they stay up, but I rewatched as many as I could for a couple of games, and surprise surprise, Steph played really good defense most of the time.

The thing of it is, Steph is never going to be a lockdown 1 on 1 defender that prevents people from getting up a shot or a guy that REALLY consistently stops players from getting by him or anywhere close to it. It's just not his strong suit. But what he can do, is steer his man into defensive help and come away with numerous ball pokes/swipes/stops that will completely derail a player's attempts even if it doesn't show up as a block or a steal.

GOBB
06-17-2022, 09:21 AM
If curry defense is above average then Allen Iverson defense is above good.

hold this L
06-17-2022, 09:25 AM
**** the stats. Go to nba.com and rewatch every Celtics scoring play. I'm not sure how long they stay up, but I rewatched as many as I could for a couple of games, and surprise surprise, Steph played really good defense most of the time.

The thing of it is, Steph is never going to be a lockdown 1 on 1 defender that prevents people from getting up a shot or a guy that REALLY consistently stops players from getting by him or anywhere close to it. It's just not his strong suit. But what he can do, is steer his man into defensive help and come away with numerous ball pokes/swipes/stops that will completely derail a player's attempts even if it doesn't show up as a block or a steal.

I know that, but it's more to put away the idiots that keep writing the same thing. The only game Steph played garbage defense in was game 3 when Foster (surprise, surprise) gave 2 of his first 3 fouls as phantom fouls, and then they targeted him where he couldn't be physical at all. Outside of that, he's been flat out amazing. I actually think he has been elite this PS, which I never would have said.

Here's a more interesting question. How many players in NBA history would have their best defensive season 13 years into the league? That's when you're older, have less energy, and that's what he did.

tpols
06-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Steph Curry works out with 100 lb dumbbells and can dead lift over 400 lbs. There were multiple times smart tried to get physical with him last night and came away wincing. This isn't baby 2014 or 2015 curry anymore. He's one of the strongest point guards in the league and gives high effort on defense.