PDA

View Full Version : Why is Wilt so disrespected by ESPN.

coastalmarker99
06-17-2022, 10:05 AM
I have noticed that on ESPN most of those dumb hacks are saying Wilt isn't a top ten player ever which is just insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ftRhEtW9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6V7G5v8NU

Wilt to this day still owns over hundreds of records and he retired 50 years ago.

And for all the people who say he was a choker in the playoffs.

Wilt played different roles on different teams.

He averaged 34.6 points and 25.6 rebounds in the playoffs with the Warriors.

34/25 is better than Jordan's stat line as a scorer.

He averaged over 30/20 for 5 post seasons..

Nobody else has even had a series average of 30/20.

He was 24.9/27.5 with the Sixers where he passed more and shot less because he had a better team.

He had 30 rebound series at this time(which no one else has done) and numerous triple-doubles and quadruple doubles in the playoffs.

He would have won Finals MVP but the award didn't exist at the time.

He was 15.8/22.3 with the Lakers as he was a defensive anchor and outlet passer with them.

He won the Finals MVP with 18.8 ppg, so if it was a big problem, he wouldn't have gotten MVP.

He never had a post-season with less than 20 rebounding average.

He holds numerous playoff rebounding records including the highest rebounding average in the Finals (24.7).

Most consecutive triple-doubles, most FG made in a 7 game series, etc.

His career averages in the playoffs are lower because he played a disproportionate amount of games with the Lakers where his job was not to score.

He played 50% of his total games and 69% of his finals games as a Laker.

iamgine
06-17-2022, 10:10 AM
I dont think its disrespect. You guys just doesn't agree.

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2022, 10:12 AM
You can't take anything you hear on ESPN debate shows or sports media seriously, they are there strictly to get viewers and provide entertainment. And a lot of the time, in order to do both of these requires them to make hot takes as well as intentionally controversial statements. Which is why I honestly don't understand why people always take what they say at face value :lol It's literally their objective to get people listening and talking about them by doing this, it's no different than political shows.

coastalmarker99
06-17-2022, 10:15 AM
For as much hate as Wilt gets to this day for only winning two rings.

I'll just say that he anchored two of the greatest teams to ever play and was their leader.

The 1966-1967 Philadelphia 76ers, which went an absurd 68-13

And the 1971-1972 Los Angeles Lakers, which went 69-13, famously winning 33 games in a row.

Plus Wilt's teams over his career played 1045 season games + 160 playoff games.

They won 672 season + 88 playoff games.

Season win%: 64.3

Playoff win%: 55

Total games win%: 63.1

Plus, the only team to win more titles than his team's during his time, or have higher win%s during his time was the Celtics who were the dominant dynasty from the late 50s through the entire 60s.

Say what you want about Wilt but "loser" is not a logically appropriate label for him.

JBSptfn
06-19-2022, 07:30 AM
For as much hate as Wilt gets to this day for only winning two rings.

I'll just say that he anchored two of the greatest teams to ever play and was their leader.

The 1966-1967 Philadelphia 76ers, which went an absurd 68-13

And the 1971-1972 Los Angeles Lakers, which went 69-13, famously winning 33 games in a row.

Plus Wilt's teams over his career played 1045 season games + 160 playoff games.

They won 672 season + 88 playoff games.

Season win%: 64.3

Playoff win%: 55

Total games win%: 63.1

Plus, the only team to win more titles than his team's during his time, or have higher win%s during his time was the Celtics who were the dominant dynasty from the late 50s through the entire 60s.

Say what you want about Wilt but "loser" is not a logically appropriate label for him.

Yes. If it wasn't for the bad pass to Havlicek (65), Billy Cunningham and MLK's death (1968. The ECF with Boston started the day after King was killed. That had to have been weighing on the minds of players), and his stupid HC not putting him back in (1969), he may have five rings.

Full Court
06-19-2022, 07:57 AM
Because ESPN is all in for Bronie. And like typical insecure Bronies, they can't stand on his record itself, so they have to try to bring down all time greats to make him look better.

Shooter
06-19-2022, 10:16 AM
Because ESPN is all in for Bronie. And like typical insecure Bronies, they can't stand on his record itself, so they have to try to bring down all time greats to make him look better.

This thread is cleary about Wilt Top Ten Goat Chamerblain but your pants got tight for LeBron's wiener didn't they?

You just couldn't help yourself, sweating like a desperate whore trying to turn her life around, but you just had to spread those legs one more time, didn't you? Naughty girl.

Shooter
06-19-2022, 10:18 AM
Now that I've discarded Full Slut...As for OP and ESPN,

ESPN is retarded. They know Wilt is top ten by any measure and anyone who doesn't place him top ten probabyly has a very poorly constructed list with some retard level shit such as Iverson in the top ten :lol Or like George Gervin listed top ten :lol Just pure dumb shit like that. It's easy to dismiss lists that don't have Wilt in the top ten.

1987_Lakers
06-19-2022, 10:41 AM
This thread is cleary about Wilt Top Ten Goat Chamerblain but your pants got tight for LeBron's wiener didn't they?

You just couldn't help yourself, sweating like a desperate whore trying to turn her life around, but you just had to spread those legs one more time, didn't you? Naughty girl.

lol, wtf. :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
06-19-2022, 10:45 AM
This guy has the most popular youtube channel in terms of NBA discussion and he also took Wilt out his top 10. (8 min mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxq70PjnC8

It always surprises me how some smart people can have some really questionable top 10 lists. Kobe ahead of Shaq, Russell & Duncan? That NBA marketing works even on smart people.

coastalmarker99
06-19-2022, 10:46 AM
It is deeply interesting looking at Wilt's playoffs stats when you factor in blocks.

As here are his full stat lines from a series in his prime in 1968 in which his blocks were recorded by Harvey pollack.

game 1 1 37 PTS 29 REBS 7 ASTS 10 BLKS

game 2 24 PTS 17 REBS 8 ASTS 12 BLKS

game 3 18 PTS 24 REBS 8 ASTS 11 BLKS

game 4 23 PTS 27 REBS 5 ASTS 6 BLKS

game 5 26 PTS 21 REBS 7 ASTS 14 BLKS

game 6 25 PTS 27 REBS 3 ASTS 10 BLKS

For the series, he averaged 25.5 PTS 24.1 REBS 6.3 ASTS 10.5 BLKS,

Also in the 1972 finals as a 35-year-old.

Here were his full statlines.

GAME 1 12 PTS 19 REBS 0 BLKS

GAME 2 23 PTS 24 REBS 4 ASTS 8 BLKS

GAME 3 26 PTS 20 REBS 9 BLKS

GAME 4 12 PTS 24 REBS 12 BLKS

GAME 5 24 PTS 29 REBS 4 ASTS 8 BLKS

NBA FINALS AVERAGE 19.4 PTS 23.3 REBS 7.4 BLKS

It's funny that Wilt who is a center truly has the record for the most playoff triple-doubles over guys like Magic and Lebron.

Shooter
06-19-2022, 10:48 AM
lol, wtf. :oldlol:

:lol

coastalmarker99
06-19-2022, 10:58 AM
I wish the NBA archives would release to the general public the locked-up footage they have of Wilt.

As I have personally seen some of those games while writing my book about his years in LA and my god he looks amazing even at that stage in his career

This is one of the games I watched of Wilt vs Kareem when writing my chapter about their rivalry

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1370933226026438657

He had like 6 to 7 blocks in the first half of that game.

It's a crime that the NBA doesn't release Wilt's footage to the general public as I think more people would see how much of a beast he was.

Down below is footage of him as a 35-year-old in a playoff game against Kareem in which he recorded nine blocks and utterly locked him up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7baVV3CbQ&t=248s

coastalmarker99
06-19-2022, 11:13 AM
I do know that a 36-year-old Wilt blocked 446 shots in 1972-73 (5.44 a game), his 14th and final season in the league.

28-year-old Mark Eaton blocked 456 shots in 1984-85 (5.56 a game) his third season in the league, the most since blocks were an official statistic.

So Wilt at 36 years old in his last season in the league blocked 10 fewer shots than the record for most blocks in a regular-season since they officially started recording them in '73-74.

Also here are Wilt's averages in the 1973 PLAYOFFS 10.4 PTS 22.5 REBS 3.5 ASTS 6.9 BLKS FG% 55.2

I wish Wilt had played longer as he was still clearly a beast even at that stage in his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpTNSLJqaAE&t=78s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiMlxa8ex1g&t=7s

Wilt's stat-line in that game seven is deeply impressive

As he posted 21 PTS 28 REBS 4 ASTS 8 BLKS on 10-17 from the floor

coastalmarker99
06-19-2022, 11:28 AM
A lot of people assume Wilt just used his physicality to dominate (a-la Shaq) rather than skill, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Wilt himself admitted to holding himself back physically almost out of a fairness principle.

He could have been dunking on everybody damn-near every possession if he wanted to, but dunking had the stigma of a dumb man's move and a brute's move back then.

After reading in 1968 that he was passing out to teammates due to being too old to score

A furious Wilt Chamberlain over the next three games averaged:

56.0 PPG (29.0 FGA)
32.7 RPG
4.0 APG
FG%: 79%

The FG% is insane and it's purely because Wilt was just physically manhandling everyone during those three games.

I don't know how much I'd spend to see Wilt in the game right now.

It's difficult to imagine really.

Full Court
06-19-2022, 12:23 PM

OOoooooooooooooooo the diabetic beta is feeling his estrogen again. :lol

How does it feel to be a loser like your hero Bronie?

Diabetes has turned this moron's brain to swiss cheese. :roll:

FilmyCogTurner
06-19-2022, 12:51 PM
The stats he put up were incredible. Enough to consider that he was the better player over Russell and his 11 freaking rings.

If I had more context of how their careers played out and the types of teams they had along side them it would be easier to put some separation between the two.

Shooter
06-19-2022, 01:02 PM
OOoooooooooooooooo the diabetic beta is feeling his estrogen again. :lol

How does it feel to be a loser like your hero Bronie?

Diabetes has turned this moron's brain to swiss cheese. :roll:

You're cute.

Serious question, did you ever graduate highschool?

Nowoco
06-19-2022, 03:58 PM
What I can never understand is that on these top 10 lists without Wilt, Bill Russell is on them. There isnt any metric or argument whatsoever for saying that Russell was a better player than Wilt. I mean its just ridiculous to say it.

All Bill Russell is these days is "11 rings". No-one saw him, there's little footage, its just "11 rings". In the same way Oscar Robertson is "averaged a triple double". It seems everyone just puts Russell on their lists because they have to. If it was an all-time draft, he would probably go like 30th and that's being generous.

Lakers Legend#32
06-19-2022, 05:12 PM
As Wilt said, "Nobody loves Goliath."

John8204
06-19-2022, 06:47 PM
Because he's dead...Wilt can't create content for them anymore so Wilt doesn't have value. This is going to happen with many stars as they pass on Moses Malone is a three time MVP, George Mikan founded the NBA, Pete Maravich might be one of the five greatest SG's of all time...they all get ignored.

Shooter
06-19-2022, 07:00 PM
Because he's dead...Wilt can't create content for them anymore so Wilt doesn't have value. This is going to happen with many stars as they pass on Moses Malone is a three time MVP, George Mikan founded the NBA, Pete Maravich might be one of the five greatest SG's of all time...they all get ignored.

Plus if you look at playoff records his name isn't etched anywhere. Guys that are etched cannot be ignored

https://i.postimg.cc/zD4f1CMg/LePlayoff_Goat_LeFirst.png

Full Court
06-19-2022, 08:36 PM
You're cute.

Serious question, did you ever graduate highschool?

Serious question. Do you have to wear a man bra due to your high estrogen/low testosterone?

Axe
06-19-2022, 08:47 PM
Serious question. Do you have to wear a man bra due to your high estrogen/low testosterone?
Every sane poster here would know this totally sounds ironic coming from someone who obviously keeps on typing with his bloody tampon on. :confusedshrug:

Full Court
06-19-2022, 10:14 PM
Every sane poster here would know this totally sounds ironic coming from someone who obviously keeps on typing with his bloody tampon on. :confusedshrug:

Why are you answering a question for Spooter?

What a triggered dingus. Getting upset about a post that wasn't even directed at you. You must REAAALLLLY by upset about my calling you out for not knowing what "stamp" meant. :lol

HoopsNY
06-19-2022, 10:40 PM
I have noticed that on ESPN most of those dumb hacks are saying Wilt isn't a top ten player ever which is just insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ftRhEtW9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6V7G5v8NU

Wilt to this day still owns over hundreds of records and he retired 50 years ago.

And for all the people who say he was a choker in the playoffs.

Wilt played different roles on different teams.

He averaged 34.6 points and 25.6 rebounds in the playoffs with the Warriors.

34/25 is better than Jordan's stat line as a scorer.

He averaged over 30/20 for 5 post seasons..

Nobody else has even had a series average of 30/20.

He was 24.9/27.5 with the Sixers where he passed more and shot less because he had a better team.

He had 30 rebound series at this time(which no one else has done) and numerous triple-doubles and quadruple doubles in the playoffs.

He would have won Finals MVP but the award didn't exist at the time.

He was 15.8/22.3 with the Lakers as he was a defensive anchor and outlet passer with them.

He won the Finals MVP with 18.8 ppg, so if it was a big problem, he wouldn't have gotten MVP.

He never had a post-season with less than 20 rebounding average.

He holds numerous playoff rebounding records including the highest rebounding average in the Finals (24.7).

Most consecutive triple-doubles, most FG made in a 7 game series, etc.

His career averages in the playoffs are lower because he played a disproportionate amount of games with the Lakers where his job was not to score.

He played 50% of his total games and 69% of his finals games as a Laker.

One thing that I don't understand is how these guys conveniently claim that Wilt faced guys that were "6'3" on average". Have they never heard of Nate Thurmond, Kareem, Russell, Willis Reed, etc? Wilt was huge, but he'd be huge even by today's standards. And he certainly wasn't out there dominating only against small centers.

coastalmarker99
06-19-2022, 10:53 PM
One thing that I don't understand is how these guys conveniently claim that Wilt faced guys that were "6'3" on average". Have they never heard of Nate Thurmond, Kareem, Russell, Willis Reed, etc? Wilt was huge, but he'd be huge even by today's standards. And he certainly wasn't out there dominating only against small centers.

Wilt is one of two centers who held Kareem to sub 45% shooting in a playoff series the other guy being Nate Thurmond.

And Wilt was old and playing on a previously shattered knee which was thought to be a career-ending injury back in the day.

In the 3 games, Hakeem defended Kareem in the 1985-86 regular season.

Kareem averaged 41 ppg on 67.5% fg against the Rockets.

This was at age 39.

Kareem also destroyed a rookie Ewing by dropping 40 points on his head this was at age 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jrbwaYMFI

Wilt would dominate in any era you put him in.

Axe
06-19-2022, 11:00 PM
:mad:
Truth hurts. :yaohappy:

Full Court
06-19-2022, 11:03 PM
Truth hurts. :yaohappy:

Dingus still upset that I called him out for his first-grade-level vocabulary. :lol

jlip
06-19-2022, 11:58 PM
Most current NBA analysts are under the age of 55 and never saw peak Wilt play live. To many of them, he's that giant mythical old dude whom they heard their fathers talk about and maybe have only seen a few short clips of on some poor quality black and white videos. The earliest these analysts were probably introduced to the NBA was Dr. J's prime while coming of age during the Magic/ Bird and MJ era when better quality and more frequent video became available. Therefore, through their ignorance, they manufacture negative and misguided opinions about Wilt's era that are reinforced by their peers who are equally ignorant of much of the league's history pre- merger.

With that being said, if I'm not mistaken, ESPN did rank Wilt at #6 all time on their most recent all time top 75 list.